I've always been an Android user and now, out of sheer boredom, I'm thinking about switching to Windows

I've always been an Android user and now, out of sheer boredom, I'm thinking about switching to Windows.
I've read a bunch of reviews, and they've mostly been negative. The main argument - lack of apps. But something doesn't add up. Apparently, people use, on average, just three apps regularly (fortune.com/2015/09/24/apps-smartphone-facebook/). So what's with all the hassle?

I started thinking about the apps I use, and there really are just a few. Most of them the usual stuff which works on Windows, too.

Another argument is that the OS itself is buggy, but apparently, these newest versions are actually quite decent.

What do you guys think? Are these reviews full of shit? Anyone here with a Windows phone to share their experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Microsoft-RM-1085-Unlocked-International-Warranty/dp/B019YFC8WY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484742555&sr=8-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah m8 buy one, enjoy.

Go on, buy one.

I fucking dare you.

On average, people use very few apps. In most cases, even a browser is enough, and the mobile version of edge rocks.
However, there are these special, rare cases where you need a certain app to do a certain thing.
Android and IOS have your back there.
Windows Mobile doesn't.

As an operating system, Windows Mobile is very, very good and the phones in the lower price sectors have a great value.
My 640 was dirt cheap and is rather old and it still feels great to me in almost every way - battery life, screen, look and feel...
I'm really hoping that Universal Windows Applications will breathe new life into the platform.

The "flagships" aren't really flagships. We need a surface phone, but I don't think that's going to happen until Microsoft unveils a real killer feature. But maybe, that feature is right around the corner.
Continuum allows your phone to transform into a mobile PC running Windows 10. That hasn't been that useful so far, because you can only run Windows Mobile apps on it.
However, microsoft has recently unveiled their ARM => X86 emulation technology that allows x86 win32 applications to run on Windows 10 on ARM...

do it

don't blame us when you're unable to do anything

Yo can do everything on WP

Why would you pay for a paper weight?

Lack of applications is what killed it. That's it. It can be as amazing as you want, but if it can't do anything, there's no point. Yes, it's that big of a deal. You take it for granted. You don't know what you've had until it's gone.

I had a Nokia Lumia something and while the phone and operating system were alright. Not really anything "broken" about them... The lack of applications killed it. It was such a hassle to even do basic tasks because back then they didn't even have the common ones and Microsoft had to make them. So bad...

So... So... So bad... There's nothing Windows can do that Android can't. Android is FAR superior. You're just purposefully shooting yourself in the foot. Windows phone is just an iPhone but shit. The only benefit it has is that you can get it really cheap, but you can get an Android device cheap too and it'll be worth it anyways.

>muh snapchat

Yeah, but what apps? All the ones I use already are available on Windows. That's the whole point, everyone's talking about apps, yet we only use a handful

The web browser sucks
Has no good apps
Looks like shit, cant customize the phone

My phone broke so i brought a cheapass Nokia disposable WP, gets here by the end of the month

Nokia 920 user here.

I did not know that Microsoft was liquidating all of their 950 & XL over holiday. I was thinking about buying one now just to find out that 950/XL are no longer in stock on the website.

The only app I use on a daily basis is the navigation. Everything else is just sending a text message or phoning someone.

Other than that the 920 is decent but the battery life is horrendous.

The lack of ENTERTAINING apps on Windows phone does not bother me.

I carry a 3DS with me for that.

I like my experience with Windows Phones. A tad bit upset about not being to buy a 950XL on sale though.

The ones that Windows has usually suck compared to IOS or Android version.

This is the kind of person WP appeals to OP. The kind of person that carries around a 3DS for "entertainment".

This. Both IE (WP8) and Edge (WP10) crash all the time for no valid reason. When the browser fails, you start noticing the lack of apps a lot.

Also, Microsoft is a lying shitbag. My phone (Lumia 630) had WP10 support promised, so much that I was on it via Insider builds.. and one year after release, when they finally got around to releasing it to phones older than the x50 series.. they dropped most of the phones because "they aren't good enough to run it", even though it was running fine even with all the heavy debug bloat insider builds have.
Had to revert to WP8 because the insider was bugged enough to eat my apps (one app would disappear or be inaccessible every week.. not joking) plus it ate an entire month of mobile data (2GB) by downloading the same 300MB of update over and over..

However, it is incredibly smooth and competitive on the lower end: Lumias are very nice phones for 60 to 90 euros (if you can get the 5xx/6xx) and absolutely nothing else.

Do it man and give it a try. If nothing else it'll be fun to try something new and if you dont like it you can switch back. Phone OSes are not life or death like some believe. I transitioned from Android to WP smoothly and if I decide to abandon what's left of the WP corpse one day I'll switch back to Android easily. All the google services work fine. With the exception of companies that actively hate Microsoft/Windows Phone (snapchat) you can generally get a pretty good app for anything. I do still really enjoy the OS experience and the look / feel of it but my 950XL is fairly buggy. I wish Microsoft was doing more with it and hope that will still come in the future.

I've had a winphone since mid-2014. Abused the shit out of it and it still works perfectly. Never had a problem with the lack of apps except for when valve started pushing mobile authentication for steam through their own app (which had an unofficial FOSS app that worked fine until valve released their own).

Have been a user of windows phones since 2008. I've tried android on tablets and use my wife's phone on occasion when I have to, and I have had an iPod touch. I like the WP OS better for my usage.

can watch youtube with no ads, even plays in background.

>The ones that Windows has usually suck compared to IOS or Android version.

want to get a spare phone and understand why microsoft failed? Go to amazon and look for a lumia 928. Phone is great, has 4G, decent camera and internal storage and amoled screen. Over all the phone is great but if you need too many apps you will begin to hate everything else.
Good luck user.

Windows Mobile is best OS, but 8.1 was better than 10 is at the moment.
Lumia phones are boss.
App situation is basically web browser + dumb phone capability. It is so bad compared to even a year ago it is hard to believe the 'app store' even exists.
They got rid of the superior UI decisions from earlier Windows Phones and now it is just Android without apps.
Windows Phone was good, now, can not recommend. Support is also non-existent, was once good.

I just switched from a Lumia to and android phone by LG. The lack of apps is valid criticism. If it weren't for the apps, I'd still use my Lumia, but it just got too fucking annoying. Also, fyi, lots of companies are dropping their apps, my bank for example. That shit really gets old.

All this said, I miss Windows Phone. It's incredibly refined and easy to use. Very underrated.

Last caveat, in an attempt to fix Windows Phone, Microsoft started dropping the metro UI elements (like the sliding panels) in apps, and replaced them with more android centric elements (like the hamburger menu button). The result is a mixed mash of two different UIs. Basically they're fucking it up.

So I would skip Windows Phone. If you want something refined go with ios. Or just stick with shitty android. It gets the job done but doesn't blow anybody's doors off through the experience. Oh well.

exactly!

>There's nothing Windows can do that Android can't.
Continuum.

>Android is FAR superior.
Except in an existing Microsoft (SharePoint / Exchange) environment.

Android and iOS are consumer devices. For enterprise already invested in the Microsoft environment, WP8 / Win 10 is GOAT.

Auntie gets a new Windoze phone, I mock her and tell her the NSA/MS is listening

She says only nerdie children like android, and apple is over prices and pretentious.

Comes back to be a few days later says that she had a conversation with her daughter about something very specific and then was web browsing later that day, and saw ads for the exact thing she was talking about.

I laugh out loud.

Its actually fucking scary though.

I had a lumia 640. it was a very nice $100 phone. The OS was smooth and it functioned-- but due to the lack of apps and support, it was a glorified version of a flip phone.

If you want a glorified flip phone, do a cyanogenmod root, get rid of all Google apps, and push all your wanted apps through their APKs.

You'll have a very fast phone with everything you need without the unnecessary google bullshit. Only downside is that you will have to manually push APKs yourself as you won't have google store.

But still, this is much better than a useless Microsoft store.

Idol 4s is better anyway

You can still find the 950 / 950XL in the stores.

The holiday sale was great. Buy a 950xl, get a 950 and a dock free. Kept the XL for me, gave the 950 to my wife, and the dock is down stairs in the living room w/ a 27" monitor.

Continuum on it's own is meh atm, but VDI makes it GOAT. I use Remote Desktop to jump into a virtual machine and have all my gaymen or dev needs met.

That said, I doubt the majority of 950/XL users outside of business use Continuum, and I can see why.

I have my dock hooked up to the second HDMI in on my computer monitor. If my computer is doing a defrag or a long OS update I switch over to continuum on my phone and browse just like I was on my PC. I can still see the progress on my second monitor and when it's done I pull out of continuum and I'm right back to a phone.

>edge crashes all the time.

I used the Windows10 fast ring insider build on my 930 for 12 months. Edge crashed maybe once.

You are full of shit.

Been a Windows Phone user for a good long while.

At the moment, it has everything I want from a smartphone, which is very little.

Great keyboard. Awesome browser. It has angry birds. A good Comic Reader in Cover. PC Remote is an awesome app (I think they have an android version now). Instagram is there and I pretty much only use it to follow my photographer buddies back home, never was interested in snapchat so that's good for me I guess. Steam has an app, that I never needed to use in the first place, but there it is.There's photoshop mobile. The stock camera app is fantastic. The OneDrive integration is nice, but I guess that's available on the other platforms as well. The only thing I wish was better was the Sup Forums app. Current best is Image Board Browser.

I use [spoiler]Bing[/spoiler] so if I ever want to buy an app, it doesn't cost me anything with Bing Rewards.

It's like a smartphone for old people, and I guess that works really well for me.

Getting used to the Hamburger was hard.
I still haven't gotten used to it. It's such a fucking pain to reach to the top of the phone when it used to be just an easy thumb tap to pull up the menu at the bottom, which is still there on some apps but absent on others.

Real bummer tbqh.

>Other people cannot have different experiences than you

Fuck off, microshill.

My 820 and 1320 wrecked my microSD cards for some reason. Have no idea what caused it, but just be careful.

It could be a WinMo issue instead of hardware.

just get one with 1GB RAM
else, prepare to see RESUMING... forever

Tfw microsoft finds out what it's like to have no software on your platform

win phones are modern dumb phones
if you're looking for that kind of thing
go ahead

>58538909
>The only thing I wish was better was the Sup Forums app. Current best is Image Board Browser
Try F10

Hmm, just downloaded it. IBB feels a little less cramped, but like the responsiveness.

Thanks, user.

iOs is pretty solid in the enterprise environment too, and most of iOS stuff works with MS enterprise stuff

>iOS stuff works with MS enterprise stuff
When Apple feels like fixing their shit. If you're wondering what I'm talking about, search for iOS meeting invites.

Windows just does it better, which isn't really a surprise, considering.

Though I'm still waiting for the inTune feature set to roll into SCCM.

but be careful when replying, it only sets one >
if you reply, namely because of the 2chan configuration

Windows Phone OS is the most stable OS I've ever used.

I'm still using 4Charm... :( I'll give those a try!

IBB has a ad free version called Sup Forums Sup Forumsrowser, if you feel like lurking or often batch download a thread's images Sage Reader is something for you too

>Microsoft (SharePoint / Exchange)
So like google docs/drive?? I know a lot of offices use google docs for collaborating since it makes it so easy to share among other user, they don't have to worry about licensing and it's free to use.

While we're on the topic of non-popular phones, holy shit am I glad to be off of BB10. I'll always prefer blackberry keyboard to touch shit, but the classic was a mistake. I'd rather go back to using my bold from 6 years ago, that thing was a sweet device. I'd probably do it if it was 4G compatible, I just don't want to go to the store and get a 3G card and whatever else it would entail. Plus I guarantee the browser would be nigh useless today. But at least I could fucking type.

Was that the one that had the little trackball mouse. I thought those were so awesome back in the day. I wish I had one back then.

>I'm really hoping that Universal Windows Applications will breathe new life into the platform.

Don't hold your breath.

>Are these reviews full of shit?
yes, i have WP since 2012 and i never found bugs. if you make calls, send messages with whatsapp or telegram, take pictures as the 95% of people do, it's a nice OS, very fast even on poor phones

bump

>lumina 950XL is 499 on micro$hit's site
>find one for 300

amazon.com/Microsoft-RM-1085-Unlocked-International-Warranty/dp/B019YFC8WY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484742555&sr=8-1

ayy

But I am on the lookout for a new windows phone - and all the apps I actually need and use are on windows OS. Had my lumina 520 for about 30 years now, feeling like its time for an upgrade.

Should I get this?

I loved my lumia 920 but got an S6 because I couldn't facetime on messenger with WP

i still really like my 830, but seriously the platform's on its way out and the only phone worth a damn today is the 600$ HP elite a huge investment for something on its last leg.

but yeah in terms of UI design and overall usability it blows anything else out of the water

I'll be picking up the 950lx this Thursday,for 150$ currently have the blackberry priv it's soo slow and gets hot all the time. How's the battery life?

Lucky guy, Edge crashed all the time on desktop as well when I started using W10, I guess I just visit the wrong websites.

Girlfriend has a 950 and I have an HTC 10.

I'm honestly jelly of her phone in a lot of ways but I can't part with Android. She's scared though because this is her first non-Nokia phone (technically) and in a few years has no idea what she'll be upgrading into.

My camera's better though.

I've owned two windows phones. One version 7 and another version 8 I think. Fucking loved them. They did everything I wanted.

Calendar is amazing. Bing search is better than anything I've ever used for search. I don't know if they still have the Bing scout function still but the search and map program worked perfectly with each other.

I reluctantly switched to an edge and when the time comes in switching back.

how the fuck are you getting it for 150? used?

Yeah used

hey that's kinda... accurate actually. I have a wphone and carry a 3ds for entertainment too. used it so much I wore the charging cable out

>The web browser sucks
Edge is fine. There is not a good app for Sup Forums tho
>Has no good apps
Some WP apps are better than android's
>Looks like shit, cant customize the phone
WP UI is the best mobile UI

I was a WP user for years until this past December. WP OS is great, the phone hardware is great, especially for the money (a $30 sale WP is about equal to an $80 Android on sale.) The big problem is app support. I'm not a heavy app user but it kept being a problem for me. Google has no WP apps, stores/banks/events have no WP apps, certain sites or games have no or outdated WP apps, etc. The only good offline GPS voice nav app for WP was discontinued.

Honestly I miss my WP. I don't like the android interface as well and my $150 Moto G4 is a piece of shit compared to my $30 Lumia 640. But I can't go back unless I want to make half the stuff I do on the phone impossible or difficult.

This. Windows phone is the best mobile OS but the lack of apps ruined it.

>So what's with all the hassle?
no snapchat, that's why millenials don't like it. if you're looking for a solid business phone, you'll be happy.

>how do cookies work