Microsoft warns Windows 7 is dangerously insecure

>Microsoft did everything in its power to get user to take advantage of the free update to Windows 10. It even nagged and fooled people in order to get them on-board before it was too late. This didn’t exactly go over well with those who wanted to stick with their old, reliable version of Windows. Microsoft is now calling out anyone who passed on the update and still using Windows 7, especially those in an enterprise setting. It says that operating system is outdated, and even with patches, it’s not secure enough.

extremetech.com/computing/242795-microsoft-warns-windows-7-dangerously-insecure-2017

I think we all know it's all a ploy to get everyone from 7 to 10, but still gotta wonder if there is a kernel of truth in all of this

Other urls found in this thread:

betanews.com/2016/11/24/windows-10-security-emet/
insights.sei.cmu.edu/cert/2016/11/windows-10-cannot-protect-insecure-applications-like-emet-can.html
blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsfurunternehmen/2017/01/16/windows-7-support-endet-in-drei-jahren/
techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/intel-s-latest-cpus-will-only-support-windows-10-1327487
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

if a firm cared about security they would use a locked down flavor of linux.

>probl W (0

behold the power of Windows

I'm going to use windows 7 until the end of days unless RYZEN is hopelessly broken on it

I'm sticking to W7 until I get my second GPU and use Linux for everything and my botched russian repatch version of a pirated W7 for games only.

It's probably pretty insecure at this point.

BECAUSE YOU MADE UPDATES NOT FUCKING TRUSTWORTHY

MICROKEKS BTFO HAHAHA

>posts windows 10 screenshot to bitch about Windows 7

better go catch it lol

>Not using 8.1

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something but 8.1 Pro has been excellent for me. Super stable, no telemetry, and it was easy to set all the updates and various things to fully manual control.

Of course it's true. Protip: win10 is even worse in that regard.
Love how the employment material we were presented when our company was bought by M$ was all about how M$ can do no wrong and only cares about the users and does everything in their power to listen to what they want.

If you have an integrated gpu, just do vga passthrough. Easy as shit and just werks as long as you don't follow any online guides.

Why doesn't MS still give the option to downgrade to 10 then?

I can't get over how MS tried to force 10 on fucking enterprise computers with several different patches so blocking one wasn't enough. And If I click the x it means cancel not OK you shits.

>tfw using 8.1 + Start8
Tried going back to 7 before. The lack of good multi-monitor support such as having a taskbar and having different wallpapers on each monitor without the need for additional software. Not being able to mount an ISO natively sucks. The task manager isn't as good (in my opinion anyway). Not to mention I always had weird issues where windows and programs would stutter on one display but not the other, typically when maximizing them. This happened on different computers I've had multi-monitor setups for, including my lab computer in the classroom when I was still in college. Tried Windows 10, and I just cannot like it. There's so many things wrong with it. The UI looks gross and is inconsistent as fuck. Not being able to pick and choose which updates you want sucks since you're forced to download every one of them. The shit it wants to do in the background is stupidly unnecessary. Not to mention it downloads fucking Candy Crush and Twitter and shit through Windows Update automatically, and gave us shit when I was doing my mandatory internship semester and we were rolling out Windows 10 to all of the computers on site. It's a joke of an OS.

Windows 8.1 is godly. Never ran into any issues with it.

Hello shill.

TAKE BACK YOUR FREEDOM

UPGRADE FROM WINDOWS

I got sick of filtering updates and playing games with the Pajeets, so I switched from Windows 7 to Ubuntu with XFCE. Works fine for everything I need it for except Adobe software, but I have a hackintosh for that.

>caring about the security of a game-console OS

Fuck I laughed more than I should have.

lal

>we can't write an OS that's remotely safe
>Please keep supporting us by buying the next one.

If I were concerned I'd just move to Linux. And I already am.

Videogames is the only thing keeping windows around. And they keep treating videogames so poorly they're running away (steam OS, opengl, the list of biasing against MS is large).

I'm starting to think the end might be coming within the next ten years. And I think MS is gonna fight some. They've already done .net core.

Software might actually be getting better.

>Microsoft playing on FUD to get more people into botnet

oh no
betanews.com/2016/11/24/windows-10-security-emet/

W8 is shit

Man, you people have some reading problems? Let's make it easier to you:

Win10 + EMET > Win7 + EMET > Win10 - EMET > Win7 - EMET

The title just take a subset of the above:

Win7 + EMET > Win10 - EMET

And the text is clear in point that MS should not phase out EMET since it makes Win 10 MUCH more safe...

>I think we all know it's all a ploy to get everyone from 7 to 10, but still gotta wonder if there is a kernel of truth in all of this
There's no way of knowing, really. It's a proprietary OS after all and the best you can do is to assume that anything actually gets patched.

Maybe someone should compliment it to help with it's insecurities.

insights.sei.cmu.edu/cert/2016/11/windows-10-cannot-protect-insecure-applications-like-emet-can.html

Try again.

>There's no way of knowing, really.
There is. It's called Microsoft fucked up again.

neat, so win7+emet is almost as dangerously insecure as windows 10 out of the box

Fuck you I won't upgrade from my win7 ultimate 64bit. I'm rather cozy with it.

So far away

At some point in the near future there's going to be an exploit that appears that will target Windows 7 specifically, potentially affecting Windows 8/8.1 to some degrees, and it will wreak havoc on the Windows 7 platform and of course there won't be anything that can be done about it because Microsoft says there's nothing that can be done about it at the time it happens.

Of course, that's because Microsoft will be the one responsible for this exploit when it happens but obviously it'll be disseminated from some "unknown source" at the end of a very long chain of hops that will never be fully traced back to the source itself aka Microsoft.

They know more about Windows 7/8/8.1 than anyone else ever possibly could and they are the ones that will fuck it up when this happens.

They already fucked up Windows 7/8/8.1 by frustrating users with the bullshit Windows Updates taking forever, but this next step will basically be intended - in every manner of the word - to kill off using Windows 7, period.

Screenshot this post for the future, lads, 'cause it's a reckoning come 'a calling soon, very soon indeed.

Microsoft is too inflexible for this.

What of I never do windows update?

How do you think most exploits happen? They happen because someone passes on the necessary info to make it happen, that's how.

Someone at Microsoft will pass on the necessary info to someone outside Microsoft aka "some kid in a fucking basement working as an independent contractor doing coding work on a free-agent basis..." and voila, there it is.

How do you think most major virus shit happens? Same way. If you were to look back over time at Symantec's P&E statements you'd see a near perfect envelope match of major exploit outbreaks at the point in time where they needed a boost in sales to help curtail hitting red ink.

It's right there in the data, staring people in the face if they're willing to go looking for it. Companies hiring outside independent contractors to do such things and keep it hush-hush is nothing new, it's been a regular practice for many decades now and this is absolutely no different.

Pay attention, son, you're missing out on how the world really works.

You are mistaken.

Security through obscurity isn't true security once people start jumping on the bandwagon you're hiding behind.

If you were looking for true security you wouldn't be connected to the Internet, for a start.

I can't handle all of these red pills

Nice FUD, micro$hit.

Keeping that in mind, the correct response would be - it was.

That'd make sense in a world where all AV solutions costs money, but there are free products out there that beats out shit like kaspersky nod32 and such.

But fuck AVG, seriously. Fuck em to eternity and back.

I'm not able to convince my uncle to use a linux distro because the shit that he does requires certain software, and no current linux distro is trouble free enough that I won't get a call in more than a month.

Oh well, back to XP then.

>there are free products out there that beats out shit like kaspersky nod32 and such.

such as?

But I liked AVG ;_;

COMMON SENSE 2009+™

>"protect your computer from malware by installing malware"

no thanks, microsoft

more like W8 to upgrade lol

Windows 7 supports ASLR natively

fuck u donald

The biggest fucking security risk are their own shitty updates. Fuck Microshit at this point, I'm keeping my 7 until we get hit with a fucking EMP.

You dense motherfuckers. Maybe research to the end of the quote to get context. He is saying it is insecure tomorrow.

Full quote:
"Windows 7 comes slowly into the years. Today, it does not meet the requirements of modern technology, nor the high security requirements of IT departments, "said Markus Nitschke, Head of Windows at Microsoft Deutschland. "As early as in Windows XP, we saw that companies should take early steps to avoid future risks or costs."

blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsfurunternehmen/2017/01/16/windows-7-support-endet-in-drei-jahren/

Translation: "Buy wangblows 10, fags, we need money."

Oh I see it was Microsoft that allowed the Russians to hack the election. Fuck me man, I thought I knew everything there was to know.

I wonder why

Driving a car is dangerously insecure, except for those who know how to utilize it.

> Microsoft is now calling out anyone who passed on the update and still using Windows 7
Why are people always getting "called out" in nu-internet journalism?
Why does a tech website's prose need to read like a fucking Jezebel article?

>Lincucks 2%

I wonder why

Should I use ESET Internet Security with EMET?

>"""advantage"""

I'd kill to have 2% of Gates' wealth.

how do they know all these numbers?

Licensing and updates I imagine. I'm fairly certain there are more Linux installations on hardware than what is commonly shown as they may run multiple VM's of Windows which kind of ironic.

Oh and I'm sure MS counts thin clients.

Most people overestimate their driving skills.

Serious question though, pic related on this board of someone showing off his botnet army and noticed no Win10 (old pic maybe)

Is Win10 less compromisable from external threats than Win7?

It's from 2014 based from the day. Obviously no Win 10 and 8.1 was recently released back then.

No Win10 isn't really any safer OOTB than Win7. The botnets that are so rampant these days is because of Google and Android. They keep shoving it into everything they can even toasters and it's running Gingerbread (maybe older) or some shit. Companies aren't going to keep updates rolling for security patches on a twenty dollar toaster or a five hundred dollar TV at wally world.

Thx for the reply. I'm running a torrented custom fork all in one package with a genuine key, I'm aware of the risk but it's been audited sufficiently to be closed enough as far as win snooping goes on Win7.

I'm seeing this as laundry, everyone has some phantom profile on a global database and Windows just washing their population to single out non-adopters and cluster them even more until everyone is "on file". These threats are inner implosions in a way.

I'm still using 8.1 after trying 10 for a few months.
Comfy as fuck desu, though it kind of sucks that I have to install a custom start menu just to make it usable (not that that really matters because I would have anyway for ricing)

Windows 7 is a way of life!

>but still gotta wonder if there is a kernel of truth

Of course there's truth in it. It's not exactly a secret that Windows is crap and insecure as fuck. Always has been, always will be. The real question here is why the fuck does MS think that telling it's customers that their OS is too insecure to use is a good idea? Am I supposed to feel reassured because MS acknowledges what I already know, and incidentally would like me to give their new version a chance, because this time they are somehow going to get it right? They always claim the new version of Windows is the most secure ever, and yet it never takes long for someone to start uncovering gaping security holes in it, that they will take their sweet ass time fixing, provided that they ever bother at all.

but botnet 10/10 has DIRECT X 12!

Your main concern is with your web browser. Block ads, plugins should be disabled by default or just removed if possible, third party frames should be blocked by default, on windows you should block downloadable fonts, lastly if you can handle the additional effort required block third party scripts by default and only unblock what you need.

Windows 7 is as secure as Windows 10

anyone has installed win 7 on kaby lake?

Thanks, but that sounds like it'll break alot of sites in doing so and I have couple of plugins that I really need. But as to EMET I take it as a no?

Plugins are not extensions. Plugins are separate applications, when you come accross a website that uses a plugin it asks your web browser if that plugin exists and if it does the web browser exposes it to the website. You probably only have one (flash) if you even have any of them. Disable those by default, firefox and chromium have a "click to play" mode for plugins which disables them by default but you can click on them to still allow them to run when they're needed.

ESET should work. As long as your AV software does not crash when EMET is enabled it will work with it.

Thank you!

Ayyyyy

MFW I don't have VT-d and can't do this

what is EMET?

>10, developed by the same people as 7 is somehow magically secure

>EMET
Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) is a freeware security toolkit for Microsoft Windows. It provides a unified interface to enable and fine-tune Windows security features. It can be used as an extra layer of defense against malware attacks, after the firewall and before antivirus software.

Kaby Lake doesn't support Win7

techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/intel-s-latest-cpus-will-only-support-windows-10-1327487

>Kaby Lake doesn't support Win7
Windows 7 doesn't support Kaby Lake, you mean.

And it's still AMD64 CPU, so it should work just fine(unless MS is deliberately going out of their way to stop any "non-supported" CPUs from working), only Kaby Lake specific features won't work.

if people want access to your machine they will get it. "updating to win10 to fix a problem" isn't an actual fix.

Scary.

Intel won't offer driver support.

But it has nothing to do with Intel. MS is refusing to add support to their kernel because they're doing everything they can to force their spyware on people, I'm willing to bet that Intel would be all too glad to add support for their products in the most popular operating system if they could.

I'm staying on 7 but will 8.1 be a viable option down the road?

Real question here, If I'm running Windows 7 and primarily play games on my computer. Is Windows 10 a good upgrade at all? Primarily I'm iffy because of partial tinfoil hat stuff but I'm also just kinda not sure if DX12 is worth it.

Suck dick and install Linux

i doubt it's true considering they have the same kernel and both still receive """"security"""" updates.

A lot of games I play aren't really linux-friendly and I'm shit at understanding linux. Maybe once I get a laptop too I'll have linux on it.