/spg/ - SmartPhone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of fucking March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Xiaomi Mi 6 to come in three versions, two different chipsets
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_6_to_come_in_three_versions_with_three_different_chipsets-news-22774.php

Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus Dimensions and Model Numbers Leaked
phonearena.com/news/Alleged-dimensions-of-the-Samsung-Galaxy-S8-and-Samsung-S8-Plus-leak_id90041

(Rumor) Google Pixel 2 Renders Leaked
gizmochina.com/2017/01/16/google-pixel-2-renders-leaked/

Lenovo P2 unboxing & hands on review: Moto G4 killer?
youtube.com/watch?v=YBrEWYQbFjw

Other urls found in this thread:

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-zuk-z2-pro4gb-64gb
zukfans.eu/community/forums/custom-z2plus-rom-releases.16/
zukfans.eu/community/forums/custom-z2pro-rom-releases.15/
gizmochina.com/2017/01/17/nokia-p1-snapdragon-835-sharp-igzo-display-rumored-coming-mwc/
zukfans.eu/community/forums/official-z2plus-zui-rom-releases.14/
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_trims_the_bezels_on_redmi_4-blog-22817.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

does anyone actually have the phone in OP's picture?

if so how good is it?

camera?
DAC?
lagginess?

I'm running the pro version, pretty much same SoC but more RAM and better camera and stuff.

There is absolutely no lag at all.

The normal version is going for under $200, so I was considering it.

How much more is the pro version?

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-zuk-z2-pro4gb-64gb

Pro version isn't as value as the regular. iirc it's almost twice as expensive.

Main differences I could tell online are:
>AMOLED screen in pro
>metal bumper on pro
>more ram and storage in pro
>faster storage and usb 3.1 in pro
>better camera in pro
>slightly bigger screen and smaller battery in pro
>rollcage (shock absorber in pro)
>health and fitness gimmicks in pro

But the regular is still giving you a flagship phone with cut down screen and camera so it's the best value SD820 phone on the market right now.

I paid 480 aud for mine while the regular zuk is around 260 aud.

tfw no iPhone SE hardware with Android

Does anyone still make reasonably sized phones that aren't shit?

>they both can't record 4k but my note 3 can
wtf is this
$100-$200 more than whatever the regular version is being sold at

Pro version has f1.8 aperture,
Regular has f2.2 aperture,

Pro version has 6GB RAM
Regular version has 4GB RAM

Pro version has 5.2 inches SAMOLED
Regular version has 5.0 inches LTPS IPS

Pro version has 3100mAh battery
Regular version has 3500mAh battery

Pro version has 3.1 USB-C
Regular version has 2.0 USB-C

They can both record 4k though?
I should know, I'm using one.

oh shit my bad I thought 2160p meant 1440p for some reason idk

Sony's X and Z compact series. Almost everything else under 5" has very low-end specs. Low end as in "don't buy this crap" not "budget".

I wish it could record 1440p to be honest.

I have a 1440p monitor but nothing 4k to watch 4k videos on, so I feel like it's just a waste of space.

>records 4k but not 1440p
what? I think open camera has very detailed camera options

>pro has less battery

Huh

you made a mistake. cukz2 has almost no rom devs, zero post on xda dev forum.

pajeet and vlad seem to have bandwagoned the mi5. very active devs and rom community.

bought one for 320 dijiridoos this morning, couldn't help it. was originally going to buy a 32gb mi5s for 370 but no dev community just like the cukz2.

>Sony's X and Z compact series.
Maybe those aren't exactly shit, but still not on the iPhone SE level in terms of hardware.

will an s6 edge still do me as well as a Mi5 or will I be missing out? I don't really give a fuck about games. How's yours holding up user?

I tried Open camera, a lot of camera options like HDR are missing on my phone. It's not really an issue since I've got 128GB storage, Just my personal autism.

It's a shame, I don't think I've seen any phone that can do 1440p video recording yet, most are 1080p60fps or 4k30fps.

Why would you need a custom rom? Is MIUI really that bad?

Maybe you should have invested in a device that ships with better software like the zuk? Really liking zui so far, it's a nice change from the stock android on my Nexus 5.

>buy zuk z2 because its the new Sup Forums's memephone
>1 week later and it is still out of stock

Should I just get the refund?

Sorry, meant under 4.5". In the 4.6" to 4.9" there's some serviceable stuff released this year with at least 1.5GB of RAM like the Galaxy A3 and maybe some midrangers from 2015 but under that size you're starting to compromise basic funcionality if you want something beyond a whatsapp machine, as you'll be most likely stuck with 1GB of RAM, very small storage and no 4G connectivity.

How much does it cost on Aliexpress?

also, its probably going to break. Chink phones wow you with the specs but behind the screen its all bullshit

>cuk z2 has no SD card slot
if only..

>claims chinkphones break easily because of shit build quality
>proceeds to shill the mi5

I've seen the bend test mato

It's like $30 more expensive

The X compact has a SD650 which is roughly equivalent to the 801 to 808 series (2014 flagships) performance-wise and 3GB of RAM. It's the highest end Android you can find under 5", period.

Hello Xiaomi shill.

It has plenty of roms you dufus.

zukfans.eu/community/forums/custom-z2pro-rom-releases.15/

Sweet jesus! New rumor says the new Nokia flagship will cost $800!

gizmochina.com/2017/01/17/nokia-p1-snapdragon-835-sharp-igzo-display-rumored-coming-mwc/

Why did you tag me as a Xiaomi shill? I own a bloody z2 pro.

Stock rom is really nice, there's no need to flash a custom rom unless you need vanilla android.

IDC about CPUs and RAM, my shitty old 2013 phone is fast enough. I care about size/weight/ergonomics/build quality/camera/heat managament... the Sony compacts don't excell at that.

Well, Sony is a guarantee for good camera and heat management in the XC is ace because they're no longer shoving a 8xx series Snapdragon in there, while the 650 doesn't overheat at all. It's also polycarbonate instead of glass so you get something infinitely more durable.

>>Why would you need a custom rom? Is MIUI really that bad?

because it's the only way you will be able to get updates. bar nexus, moto and 1+ phones, you can't rely on any other company to keep support. other reason is because it's fun to try new roms.

miui isn't bad either, good optimisation for the most part, it just can't compete with most custom launchers or cm theme engine.

Idk user, z1, z2, and z2 pro are getting Nougat in roughly one week.

A lot of companies still have their phones on Marshmallow, or Lollipop (I'm looking at you ZTE).

so, shilling aside, has anyone notice any problems with their zuks? it seems like a good deal but this qc talk has got me worried

Want me to go over things I don't like about my z2 pro for you?

please do, also how is it for headphone audio?

I could buy the Zuk Z2 even with the average 400 nits display and the very average DAC but the average camera really gets me. I'm thinking of the K6000 Pro instead because of the better camera.

>k6000 pro
>better camera
Fuck off.

Also tell us which DAC the zuk uses. Please. I'd very much like to know.

Does anyone here have experience with UMI phones? They look very nice

Not sure about headphone audio, I use Bluetooth earphones for mine. I've tried my Sony headphones a few times (mdr-zx310) and it sounds pretty standard compared to my Nexus 5, but I'm no audiophile.

Okay, things I don't like.

when the device gets hot, like when charging + downloading something, the front and back glass don't get very warm but the metal bumper gets very hot. This doesn't happen very often though since it requires the battery to be charging, wifi to be downloading a large file, and cpu under load.

In zui, the battery graph and ram usage are in developer options for God knows what reason.

Phone supports qc3.0 but I didn't get a qc3.0 wall adapter with mine.

And that's all I can think off of the top of my head right now.

The glass on the back is really grippy so it's not going to slip from your hand even when almost vertical so it's great using it around the house with no case on.

Are you high?

not too bad then, why are there so few reviews for this phone?

Thanks for the info user. I could live with those issues. Seems the only really glaring thing is the camera. But it can't be worse than the ZTE Axon 7, right?

Where do you guys think is the best place to buy the Z2 from?

why are people stuck on xiaomi if this is so much better though

"zukz2500"

Cupoum 7% off on zuk z2 banggood

Order the black one, because the white one is out of stock

I got my z2 pro from Aliexpress.

Because the non pro model is more popular for the value it offers, I think. You can't really beat a Snapdragon 820 with 4GB ram, type c, 64GB storage, and a 5" screen for only $180.

Idk user. I'm not saying this is better than xiaomi or that Xiaomi sucks, I'm just saying that I'm a happy Zuk Z2 pro user. I'm sure there's lots of people happy with their Xiaomi devices too. Also don't forget that Xiaomi is much more established than Zuk.

Because, even if it's shilled to hell and back, Xiaomi at least has a proven track record, releases quality products for their price, support their phones with updates and at the very least you'll get ROMs from Xiaomi.eu while ZUK is only popular since a bunch of shills invaded this board and so far the only reviews I've seen that didn't read like an infocomercial slam it for a extremely poor software OOTB

>extremely poor software
That's odd.
Which version of zui were they running?
In what way was the software bad according to the review?

I'm on 2.3.044 and everything works perfectly.

Your do realise that zuk has its own equivalent to Xiaomi.eu, right?

It's not like there's a shortage of roms to try out on a zuk z2...

zukfans.eu/community/forums/official-z2plus-zui-rom-releases.14/

You have the answer in the security patch level you're still running :^)

Also, the general fuckery of ZUI with AOSP to make it look like iOS breaking all kind of stuff

I have an UMi eMax, a rebranded TCL M2M but with a different camera. UMi support is non existent. They drop the phone once there is a new one. They break promises and are good at shilling like Elephone. There's a saying before in gizchina, another day another UMi ad.

What security patch is the latest miui on?

Also I hope you realise they'll be updated to the latest security patch with the Nougat update that's already available to some via OTA.

>breaking all kinds of stuff
user. I'm waiting here with a Z2 pro in my hand.
Waiting for you to tell me what's buggy and broken in ZUI so I can test and verify it for the rest of /spg/.

Wich phone should i buy? They all have 4g support were i live and they all have europe roms available, but im having trouble deciding.

Or are there any other phones i should look into? Pricerange around 200$

*redmi note 3 pro

Bumping for this.
user has his Z2 pro on hand, tell him what's broken so he can test it before I buy my Z2 pro. If you don't reply then nothing's broken and it's good for me to buy the z2.

the software part is fixable, a tinfoil frame isn't and that's all I'm concerned about

People say the same stupid shot about OxygenOS.
:3
There is no support, the support is broken.

hold it above your head, press your thumbs in the centre of the screen and pull down on both sides

if it still works I'll buy it

Redmi note 3 pro Is The best value of the 3, but since your budget is under 200 I'd say get the zuk z2 since its the best phone within your budget.

Wait for to mention issues with the software for to test. I'm beginning to think that the only issue here is trolls...

Done.
Posting from my z2 pro right now :^)
(you never specified how much pressure to apply)

MIUI official Dev ROMs (updated weekly, perfectly stable) are always on the latest patch.

Is 32 gb storage enough on an android phone?

any thoughts on letv max 2?

Currently using a Sony Ericcson X10 mini, only ever used it for calls/text messages. I'm looking to get a new phone that can be used to browse the internet and has a good camera. Budget is around 400 euros. I've been thinking about the iPhone SE, is that a bad choice?

Yep, unless you decide you MUST bring all your emulators, music and chinese cartoons with you all the time it's more than enough.

Nice proof faggot.

Not today. Just Android 7.0 is 14 Gb

iOS is limited to Safari, which doesn't even support WebM or extensions.

>1.3 Gigapixels
>800 Megapixels
Somehow I doubt there's even a sensor with such a high resolution in existance, let alone one so small. Chinks gonna chink.

Screen size? Any must-have feature? I guess your best starting point is the gsmarena phone finder. Put the following filters:

- Year: 2016
- OS version: check 6.0 and upwards
- RAM: minimum 2GB (to browse internet confortably)

And then start cross-checking the results with stuff locally available at your country. At your budget level it's complicated to go wrong. Take also into account the iPhone SE is absolutely anemic at 16GB internal storage, and comically small at this point, especially to type confortably.

You might find internet browsing more comfortable on a larger screen but other than that it's a great phone.

This is false. There's plenty of third party browsers available such as chrome and opera

>There's plenty of third party browsers available such as chrome and opera
Those are all Safari with a different skin/UI. They still don't have extensions or webm playback.

I just wish that Open Camera's * Disable shutter sound. would actually work or be able to find it. So far it's the only one that doesn't disable the shutter sound.

You're not very good at maths

any small android phones? i like really tiny screens

yo give me your x10 mini, i love that phone

Stop taking creepshots of underage girls, problem solved.

iPhone SE or Oneplus 3T for a person that has small hands and need a good battery life and a great camera.

I was also thinking about S6. I was looking at the OP3T but then I noticed that S6 is only 300 here, much cheaper than the OP3. The camera seems really nice which is one of the main things I'm looking at. Is the One Plus really better in any meaningful way? I just know I prefer how it looks

Afaik you can delete the shutter sound files.

users report shit battery on s6, mileage seems to depend on the individual unit

Xperia X Compact is about all there is and it isn't much

that and Samsung's A3 phones

Not really no because it adds up. Apps are getting bigger as well as storing images, videos, podcasts, music and etc etc.

You're run out of 32gb sooner than you think.Not to mention android taking up a chunk of that even before you install anything.

>gsmarena.com/xiaomi_trims_the_bezels_on_redmi_4-blog-22817.php

>>According to a report from China Xiaomi is quietly releasing a new batch of Redmi 4 units with reduced screen bezels.

white and gold versions now look more tolerable I guess. I wonder how long it'll take until those units reach the west. and if resellers state which unit it is.

4.7 inches aint small

Any news on the lg g6?

Im considering getting this. I have an s7 edge right now but I have an upgrade in two months or so.

Kinda getting sick of samsung, phone has become a bit laggy, and Im not too fond of the glass sandwich. S8 will probably be the same shit.

Any android phone smaller than that is either a ultra low budget model or several years old

anyone with a mi5s that has a screen protector that isn't hideously ugly because of the 2.5D screen? pic related

anyone here have a oneplus 3t? thinking about ordering one today. cukz2 looks nice too but not every lte band is supported with at&t.

Yea... Shame there isn't anyone willing to make 4" phones anymore.
I don't want to look like a faggy gamer.

Does anyone saw this issue ? OP3T with latest nova version. Can't find shit online

I'm due for an upgrade with Verizon but now I'm wondering about what phone to buy because they are cdma-based (and I'm on a plan with other family members so it won't change for the time being). I've had an iPhone 4S for years and I like its small size but it has less than 12gb, and I was looking into trying android because it's difficult to make an account on iOS to play mobage games.

Anyone with Verizon have phone recs, especially smaller size? X Compact looks good but it's not cdma.

WHY THE FUCK IS CHINKSHIT IN THIS FUCKING THREAD?

YOU HAVE YOUR OWN GENERAL YOU FUCKING DIRTY CHINK JEWS!!!!

Because this is smartphone general and they're smartphones?

There are no small android phones so just get the iPhone SE

Did you look on aliexpress?

Anybody have a good Tasker tutorial? I want to turn location services off unless Maps is open.

What are the best phones I can get on Verizon?