/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halfwidth_and_fullwidth_forms#In_Unicode
askubuntu.com/questions/198572/how-do-i-disable-the-touchscreen-drivers
askubuntu.com/questions/651574/chrome-is-freezing-ubuntu-when-opening-a-tab-or-restarting
gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.en.html
addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/load-tab-on-select/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's the best device I can read my pirated academical books on?

Pandigital Novel Black 7"

Your smartphone?

you just did

I know how reading 9 300+ paged books on my 5.5 inch phone is going to affect my eyes.
A 2010 tablet with a resolution of 600 x 800? Is this a joke?

Thanks

Search for "FULL WIDTH" on google.

Ok, so, how does one produce posts like this

Where the font appears to be different? Is it some kind of unicode or something that looks like text or what?

just copy and paste it
:^)

What's Sup Forums's irc channel where I can report threads? Or any other means to contact mods/janitors asap.
Some pedo threads in Sup Forums take too long to take down.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halfwidth_and_fullwidth_forms#In_Unicode

My laptop has a broken touch screen. Is there a way to disable it in Lubuntu? I usually use KDE, i3, or XFCE depending on my mood, but I'm willing to stick with one if only one has the option. If the touch screen isn't disabled, it does crazy clicks in the broken area and I can't do anything.

Most janitors are pedos on that shitboard.
Just report them and move along.

Ok thanks, interesting. For a moment there I thought Sup Forums had some kind of actual font change functionality.

I don't think so. If they are janitors themselves, then surely Sup Forums would've audited and removed them by now.

I need lightweight browser.
instal gentoo wiki says midori, any other ideas?

askubuntu.com/questions/198572/how-do-i-disable-the-touchscreen-drivers

You've tried these commands already?

Uzbl

Lynx

forgot to say, winfag here

No, actually. I guess my Google-fu could use some work. Thank you, kind user.

#Sup Forums @ Rizon

Last I heard Sup Forums had no dedicated janitors

Jesus christ

Do people actually use the Sup Forums IRC? I'd imagine all IRCs to go the way of the dodo now that Discord exists.

Millennials moved on to Discord, oldfags stay on IRC

So what's Sup Forums? Grandparent who don't know computers?

>This new proprietary software that logs every single word I say is going to replace a well tested way of communication used since the creation of the internet.
Yeah right.
Discord is only good for meme sharing, and that's it.

How can I figure out which app is giving me ad notifications and purge it, Sup Forums?

Yes, exactly. Why would you use shitty American burgerbloat software when a glorious Finnish alternative exists?

I haven't coded anything since I was 12 years old and made aol spammers. What's the modern equivalent to vb6? I just want to quickly create some windows applications.

How long until a Linux destro is not shit?

Java. It's also the modern Cobol

Visual Basic still excists as VB.net, nothing stops you from using it. But if you want something more modern I'd suppose Python is what the cool kids are using these days. Maybe Java too, it's a bit more complicated but you can do pretty neat but simple stuff with JavaFX or Swing.

is there some kind of equivalent GUI creation tool for python that's comparable to vb6's?

what's the story on delphi?

Just switched to a new motherboard and CPU, and I can only sometimes boot to Windows or get this error.
The times when I can boot to the desktop, the screen freezes after I opened a few programs.
I already tried booting to safe mode and reinstall Nvidia drivers but still the same problem. Is my graphics card broken?

Still wondering if somebody can confirm this

>Just switched to a new motherboard and CPU
You reinstalled windows after doing that, right?

Obviously, yes. I went ahead and plugged the HDMI to the Intel GPU and it boots fine to Windows.

What GPU? Might not be supported by OS/mobo

Bad card or some weird conflict with drivers and OS/mobo/CPU/chipset.

GTX 670
I switched to ASUS Prime B250M and i5-7500.

Best way to install a linux distro on an android tablet? Was considering using this app called Linux Deploy, is it any good?

Windows 10 goyim here

Is it normal for ntoskrnl to reach up to 20% disk usage when Im not interacting with my computer? As soon as I come back and press anything it goes away. It appears as 'system' in the task manager

Chromium just installed itself on my computer while I was asleep. Is this some malware trick?

I'll keep it if it's legit

I don't believe that happened. It makes no sense.

Still get sudden drops (not in rapid succesion) from internet. Don't know what it could be. Download speed is down to ~200KB/s but my taksmanager says it's receiving 1.2-2MB/s.

when it comes to torrents, is it a good idea to block a country outright, so that snoopers at least cant see you from within your jurisdiction?

I just fucking woke up and there it is on my taskbar. And Chrome (not chromium) was warning me about some new "hermes tab" that can read all of my browser activity.

Total pleb here. Will slapping a budget card like the 480 give this ancient build new life or would it be absolutely worthless?

gigabyte p55a ud3p
i5 750 @ 3.5 ghz
12 gb ddr 3 1600

Forgot to mention other devices have these drops (at the same time) as well.

How are you going to do that?
It's not a good idea because CDN's might break.

ip ragnes for a country are easily obtained. you simply feed them into your torrent-client blocklist

my question is, does it make sense?

ive got nintendo wii sitting somwhere it has been soft modded long time ago
is it possible to do factory reset then update it then mod it again?
and if thats possible where would i start

470 might make more sense

is there any kind of device that I can use to connect to a powered USB port and have enough upscaled power to connect a notebook power brick to it?

Why does Chrome freeze up after starting it up like 80% of the time?

I'm getting tired of shutting it down and starting it up like 40 times before it doesn't freeze.

>upscaled power

gpu acceleration, if on linux.

at least used to be the trouble with me. start it with the --disable-gpu flag or something

at least correct me and help me if you're going to be a cunt

I know that wasn't the proper term but I didn't find the words

I'm using Windows 10

>windows 10

Yeah I know, but it's not my computer, so Chrome is what I use while the person who owns the thing uses Firefox

try modifying the shortcut you use, appending --disable-gpu to the end of the location, after the .exe, inside the double quotes.

or just run it from the run window with the parameter I mentioned.

could be it. good luck

is there a good toturial for writng PowerShell scripts?
I'm new to scripting so I'm having some issues understanding shit.

Windows usually does some disk optimization (defrag for example) when your computer is idle and stops it once you start to use it again.

those programs are pretty shit/dumb. Which distro you want?

Sounds like malware

It's telling me that's not valid

Is there a way to force refresh rate into applications on Nvidia GPUs? Some of my vidya's going into fullscreen on x3 the refresh rate my monitor supports out of the blue, and I can't play anything.

Nvidia Inspector can at least do it globally. I had to do that to play FTL before an ingame option was added. Ran at thousands of frames per second and made my GPU whine.

I've read that online as well, but after running the program I didn't find any option to force refresh rates. Mind you give me a hand on that?

openSUSE Tumbleweed.

Nvidia profile inspector

yeah, I know
I meant that I didn't know how to set refresh rate on that program

No answer last time, so Im asking again.
What is a good server setup I can buy for roughly 700-1k?

does the modified path in the shortcut looks like this?
>"c:/path/to/program.exe --disable-gpu"
That's where I originally took it from.
askubuntu.com/questions/651574/chrome-is-freezing-ubuntu-when-opening-a-tab-or-restarting

Select or create an application profile and set a value under frame rate limiter

Should I make vegan bdsm gear to sell on Etsy, for fun and maybe even profit? I've noticed some vacant niches. Is working with pleather as easy as it seems, needing only basic tools for cutting and making holes? With none of the wet and messy stuff required by the kind made from someone's skin?

ISP: 25 MB/s (download speed)
Router: 18 MB/s

Cable:
fast.com: 15 MB/s
speedtest.net: 14.82 MB/s

Close to router:
fast.com: 6.25
speedtest.net: 6.20

Not close to router (usual spot):
fast.com: 3.5
speedtest.net: 3.8

How can I get 18MB/s with cable? Can my download speed get better when I'm close the my router (2 meters or so) what about when I'm not? My router is from 2009 should get a new one?

A cluster of 20 rpi3s

What does it need to serve? I've never bought anything specifically for server use. Servers hardware is always free if you're doing things right. If there's no need for it to be dedicated hardware or onsite, and the needs are minimal, it's often cheaper and more reliable to rent a VPS than power a server at home.

Didn't see a new thread was up, reposting question

Friend's PC is fucked.
Powers on, nothing comes on screen.
Tried two different PSUs, a different GPU, different RAM, different hard drives.
I think it's the mobo that's fucked, his brother insists it's the CPU
>CPUs dying in CURRENT YEAR

What is it likely to be?

The build is only a year old

Was something about getting some light like Lubuntu.

Last time I played with that stuff, it could only run a chroot. Useful for using an old phone as a headless server, but not much else. It's probably better to find some native Android apps that do what you want.

It's happening again right now.

Can't even load the captcha fuck.

I'm going to change my email address and I was wondering if there is a way to know all the accounts and stuff that are linked to your current email address

You could try searching your emails for something like "confirmation". Could you just have emails to the old account forwarded to the new one? That's what I did.

I just want to purge completely my old account tho because it is an outlook that works worse everyday and no freedoms and that shit

gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.en.html

while it showcases that I'm fucking retarded in computer materia that doesn't answer my question at all

There's no central authority tracking all your online accounts. You'll need to search your own emails which mostly only you can access.

Just a server for a business, databases, email, websites
First time ever Im making this so I dont really know what to look for

What is the best IDE to learn programming starting with C? Codeblocks?

Hey Sup Forums it's /k/, I need computer help

1. My firefox USED to not load new tabs until viewed and no longer does, how do I get this back? Ex: I open 3-4 youtube videos in new tabs, and they used to only load when I finally moved to the tab. Now they auto load, so I have to mute/pause the extra videos. It's more than just youtube, obviously, and I really miss this.

2. I think my GPU is failing, or I have a memory leak. If I were to load, lets say, 40 tabs in any browser (even if just still images) my comp starts getting weird and shows artifacts. The browser tabs will go straight black, god forbid I open any program it will take about 20 minutes to load because it seems like the system is really taxed. It doesn't ALWAYS do this, maybe once a week. But it's a very clear fuckup, and I have to reboot to fix. Everything loads slow, shows artifacts, and crashes often. Usually Firefox will show about 6gb ram used, of the 12gb ram I have. GPU is a little old, Radeon HD 7800 2gb

You can use this extension to disable autoloading of tabs.
addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/load-tab-on-select/
I've never used it, so I can't vouch for how well it works.

As for your second issue, first check your ram usage. If the memory usage does not look strange at all, then it probably is the gpu.

Are street chestnuts typically vegan? Or do they often use butter as a thermal interface?

What's the best site/book/whatever that I can learn C from?

My uni teacher is not the greatest and I find great difficulties in understanding pointers and dynamic allocation.

should I learn Processing or html canvas?

I just want little animations for web, but not in flash. I don't need the user input / interactive features that processing has.

Anyone use an Amazon locker before? What's the benefit? Does the item get there sooner?

>I just want to quickly create some windows applications.
VB still exists. I recommend C# thoough if you're just interested in windows and want to learn a better language.

If you want cross platform stuff Java is a better choice for now.

As I understand, it's for security, privacy, and not needing to wait until next week because you weren't home during work hours to answer the door for Fedex.

The third molar on my top teeth has come out and isn't impacted or anything, but is still erupting. Lately, though, it's causing me pain while I chew because there's no tooth at the bottom. If you have wisdom teeth, do you always have the top and bottom of that side?