2016 + 1

>2016 + 1
>amerifats use sms
>eurofags use whatsapp
>not using objectively superior xmpp + omemo encryption

and some of you still complain about privacy laws but still do this shit bahahaha

Other urls found in this thread:

conversations.im/omemo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>reading shit some nigga typed with his thumbs
>[current year]

In all seriousness, what's the point of this if your cell provider most likely has backdoor access to your device anyway? If the government wanted to read your texts then yea, sure, it would be encyprted if they subpoena'd the xmpp server, but couldn't they just get Sprint / Verizon / ATT to backdoor to your device, which would show everything anyway?

OMEMO is awesome. It's like using Signal, but without the moxie cancer.

>>amerifats use sms
>>eurofags use whatsapp
It's literally the reverse dumbass

I can't speak for Europe but I 100% guarantee you that the US uses sms. Except apples users that use imessage.

I'm interested in this answer as well

>having friends to talk to
Enjoy the real life botnet

No one uses sms in Europe, it's either telegram or whatsapp since internet is dirt cheap here

>meme encryption
kek

Why is moxie cancer? Genuinely curious, I don't know much about him.

apparently Sup Forums just likes to complain about the botnet, but doesn't like to do anything to actively avoid it

>internet is dirt cheap here

This. I have 100 GB of LTE for 10 Yurobucks per month and I live in a post-commie shithole.

A lot of people use sms in europe.
It is free, everyone has it without having to set something up.
Reaching someone this way is very easy, as people can respond with a phone call, which also is so cheap, it borders free here.
In the US, they pay a lot of money just to have a phone line, so it makes sense that they prefer to use data as they can just use wifi and then it is free.

why the fuck do people like to hear themselves talk? if you don't live in america then don't just spout nonsense about america.

every cell phone provider in the US includes unlimited texting in just about every plan. americans use sms. the only exception to this is apple users because they use imessage, but they don't even realize that. they actually think they're still using sms. nobody uses whatsapp in the US.

some people might use facebook messenger i guess but facebook's popularity has been dying off

Guys, add me on Google Allo :^)

In Europe everyone uses WhatsApp. In Germany a "privacy" alternative is starting to become popular, but it's closed source, so not much better anyway.

are you claiming it doesn't cost a lot of money for a phone line in the US?
Because all US commercials I have seen is ~$30/month, while in Europe, it is more like $5-10/month.

Generally that's for a combined package including voice, SMS, and mobile data.

I'm in America, and I use SMS a little bit, but I mainly stick to Facebook Messenger. The other major services I see are iMessage and Kik, with a little bit of Whatsapp.

It's expensive yes but it includes unlimited texting. Plans have been like this since the mid 00's. Even homeless people have iPhone 7s with unlimited texting in the states.

> xmpp + omemo
Looks pretty good. Conversations is the free client on Android, ChatSecure on iOS.

SMS is great because you can keep your cellular data service off and still communicate.

I used XMPP for several years. My setup used Prosody for the server and ChatSecure for the Android clients. We enforced OTR for security.

I gave up on it because the user experience was fairly poor. Prosody did not perform consistently on ARM, often needing reboots. Messaging to an offline recipient worked so infrequently that when it did it was a surprise.

Attracting additional users is nearly impossible. Allowing users to create their own accounts on your server is suicide so you have to manually create accounts. I couldn't find an Android client that allowed a user to change an account password so if I did assign account credentials to someone, they would have to use an x86 client to change the password.

I now use Signal. I enjoy the integration with my contacts so that I can translate seamlessly between POTS users and Signal users in the same app. With Signal users, I have encrypted VOIP and messaging available.

I admit that the technical details are now beyond me but with the current state of communications I was going to have to choose a solution with undesirable features; in this case, a central server as well as access to my contacts. I don't consider Signal the ideal solution but unless the world migrates en masse away from POTS to some other system, Signal offers at least usability between both worlds.

>Generally that's for a combined package including voice, SMS, and mobile data.
So is the EU prices I listed.
I pay $5/month for my basic plan.
I have unlimited texting, 3gb and calls are $.1/sec.
That totals to $7/month for me.
We also have plans with unlimited calls and usually coupled with some gimmick like a free tidal account or something, but I don't personally go for that.
Those plans vary in price, but doesn't usually go above $20.

Been using OMEMO with my own jabber server for over a year now and enjoy it.
conversations on android
gajim with OMEMO plugin on desktops.

While XMPP is technically superior, getting started with it is absolutely impossible for tech illiterate people and thus it's pretty much garbage as universal messaging solution

pretty much this

>>eurofags use whatsapp
Only poor people use whatsapp in Europe.

poor people and germans.
God when I went to germany literally everyone used whatsapp

So does Sup Forums have an XMPP server?

can omemo be used in conferences? if not, is there anything that can be used in conferences? why is multiparty OTR only a thing on cryptocat?

conversations.im/omemo/

If "multiple devices" means conference, then the chart says yes.

This reminds me of data cap discussion on Sup Forums. One second every country but the US has no caps and super cheap plans but the next they're defending Yify and streaming sites because they can't go over a cap or the speeds are early 2000s DSL tier and switching providers isn't an option because they're all equally shit

The solution is to fall back to the old standby of ignoring Europe.

It is almost like Europe is more than one country

Its almost like I never mentioned Europe and implied that this was true for many individual countries

Its fairly straight forward to set one up. Look for modern xmpp server config.

>gajim with OMEMO plugin
I wonder how this works on winblows

I guess it works, so says the wiki. But I've never used it.

I forgot to mention that I also use maxs (on fdroid) to send all phone status shit (sms messages/callerids/phone notifications) to gajim.

So if my phone rings while in the other room I'll get an xmpp message on gajim showing me who it is.

German here can confirm
Eventhough almost everybody with a contract has a sms plan everbody and their parents uses Whatsapp, since it combines mutiple media and functionality.
And there's no reason to still use SMS in 2017.

I pay ~$ 13 a month for 12 G fast data and when it ends its unlimited, just might get slow, unlimited texts and unlimited calls. East Europe is best Europe.

Also I pay $6 for home internet with blazing fast speed and unlimited data.

so there is group chat encryption finally? Nice

I have never heard of anyone using whatsapp. It's always sms, imessage, or facebook messenger.

who cares if the government reads my texts to bitches
I dont care if they see nekkid pics of hot bitches
my game is solid

I fucking wish

>SMS
No, they all use snapchat now.
I use XMPP and IRC on my computer. I use email from my phone.

Who would use OMEMO when OTR exists?

No. The standard confirms that what it means by multi-device is that if you have two computers with XMPP clients installed, you'll get your chat logs on both computers. I consider this to be a bug, since if the NSA gets one of your computers, they get the logs from all your computers.
OMEMO is clearly inferior to OTR, by design.

Riot.im has group chat / encryption and is way better on mobile than xmpp. Why bother using anything else? The future is here fags and you're being left behind.

you can use omemo in mucs under certain settings: non-anonymous, members-only and you need to have all participants in your roster. dunno how it will change with mix

it literally just works™ on windows. even better than on linux since all dependencies are bundled.

>No. The standard confirms that what it means by multi-device is that if you have two computers with XMPP clients installed, you'll get your chat logs on both computers. I consider this to be a bug, since if the NSA gets one of your computers, they get the logs from all your computers.
>OMEMO is clearly inferior to OTR, by design.

the messages are stored encrypted with each device having an own key. so no, new devices don't just get old messages.

For day to day work stuff whatsapp is fine.

If I ever need to send something very sensitive I would just generate diffie helman pairs and encrypt with that.

>he doesn't use Signal

here's your (you)

There is no evidence of that, no 3 letters agency even managed to use the supposedly backdoored binary blobs to gain access to a phone.

Yes, OMEMO works in group chats.
I don't know what the fuck is wrong with all the faggots saying otherwise, they clearly never used XMPP nor OMEMO.

Because OMEMO works also in multi user chats and even if the recipient is offline.

OMEMO works with carbon copying to multiple resources. PGP also does this; OTR doesn't.

>objectively superior xmpp
if it was that the protocol wouldn't be a xml based clusterfuck with zillions of extensions no two clients can agree on

More important, is it installed by default?
If not, is the plugin easy to install and use, unlike the clusterfuck that was the OTR plugin?

use the one cock.li provides

If you couldn't install the OTR plugin; I don't see any other plugin being easier.

I only use what I use because that's what my normie contacts use. I don't have a choice.

I could, but there is a lot of memery going on like an empty window that was showing a label "generating random stuff" and the user is actually supposed to move the mouse and stuff instead of waiting.

Also, OTR doesn't play nice with multiple devices and with PGP it is a PITA too. Is that solved?

> what is Signal Private Messenger

A software written by a Jew with an irritating attitude.
It also requires a malware known as gapps to work correctly.

Whatsapp is cancer.
I'm an eurofag but I absolutely detest it.

> Being locked-in to some shitty slow one-instance web app

Fucking kill me

Please point out in the standard where it works with group chats.

from the conversations github

it's not like you could simply test it. it needs a specific setup which was written ITT b4 but I am using omemo encrypted mucs right now !

and if you think about it there is nothing special about muc when you can already do multi-device to multi-device.

gajim plugin was debugged around the same time

HAHAHAHAHA
no.

While we don't have data caps on home internet connections (fiber) the prices for mobile internet are ridiculous.

10-15 euro a month for ONE fucking gigabyte? My home connection (average, nothing special) is fast enough to up- AND download 1 terabyte a day. How is it acceptable to charge so much for bandwidth?

The only reason they are probably doing it is
1. Money
2. They have a shit network which can't handle the users/bandwidth.

>How is it acceptable to charge so much for mobile bandwidth?

I have 100/100 mbit fiber. I pay $10/month for that.
There is no data caps on that connection.
My phone bill is also $10/month, but this have a data cap.
The data cap on my phone is mostly irrelevant as unused data carries over to the next month and when all data is used, it will be slower for the rest of the month.
I have wifi at work and wifi at my home.
I do not watch videos or download huge files when I am not in those places.

Not him.
People didn't like moxie reaction when people asked to drop the GCM dependency. He also doesn't want Signal forks to talk to Signal servers, and threated to pursue legal actions against anyone who tried that.

Nothing is related to the Signal project itself nor the code his company produces.

There also "wasn't any evidence" of MKULTRA before it was made public, mate

>He also doesn't want Signal forks to talk to Signal servers, and threated to pursue legal actions against anyone who tried that.

That part at least is reasonable. The servers are what make Signal normie-friendly. Allowing forkers to fragment the available userbase while mooching off Signal's infrastructure hurts adoption and provides no benefit. After all, the forkers have some reason already that they don't like Signal so granting them a compromise is pointless.