Pixel Launcher just broke 500,000 downloads in the Play Store

>Pixel Launcher just broke 500,000 downloads in the Play Store
>Google spent millions of dollars in advertising to take on Samsung in the high-end Android phone race

Are Play Store download numbers an accurate way of measuring sales of the Pixel, Phone by Google? Pixel Launcher comes preinstalled on Pixel, Phone by Google, by default so users don't necessarily download it from the Play Store. However, Google Hangouts and Google Play News Stand each have more than a billion downloads, which suggests preinstalled apps do show up counted in the Play Store.

Is Pixel, Phone by Google a flop?

>Nearly impossible to fucking buy
>Surprised at the low adoption

It's in high demand everywhere, what?

I've always said that I don't think Google actually intended to sell the pixel. It's just sort of a product they made that has a few benefits. It enables Google to understand the hardware inside and out and have a solid generic Android device to build it on. And if they can sell a few to the public to help recoup R&D costs then that's good too.

I just don't think Google actually intends to sell their own device they just want a phone to use internally. And at one point a phone for developers to make building apps for Android easier.

So is it artificial scarcity, or was Google just not able to anticipate how much they would need to produce? 500,000 over three months doesn't seem like that much. Two million a year at this rate. Apple sells 13 million iPhones the first weekend the new ones go on sale. Samsung can do a few million too.

They didn't expect such a high demand for pixel XL

the oneplus one sold 1 million units in 6 months for being a "flagship killer" budget phone..

if they reach over 1 million with such a fresh brand and super premium pricetag like this, it is quite respectable.

Yeah in the states no one buys unlocked phones, we're cucked by the phone companies. I don't even know if the phone companies will let you use their network with an unlocked phone.

The only choices is Google Fi or Verizon (who have exclusiveness to the cell companies). That narrows it down for a lot of people in the states.

How is Google Fi anyway? I've never seen Sup Forums talk about it.

That seemed true for Nexus, but the Pixel had a proper advertising campaign here in the UK, they wanted to sell units.

Of course they let you bring your own phone, they just don't like it.

>Google releases Nexus 6 with a TV ad campaign and all
>flops hard
>"t-they didn't really intend to sell it!"
>Google releases 5x and 6P with TV ads and all
>flops hard
>Google releases Pixel with the biggest TV ad blitz in the company's history
>flops even harder
I can't fathom why they would task Pajeets with damage control

It's like getting an iPhone with the bezels and all without any of the clean hardware - software integration.

Google has to accept that Android is a second rate OS for most average consumers. Sure there are niches and power users that will prefer Android but an average consumer will likely always prefer the iPhone if they're priced basically the same.

the only thing which somewhat survived were budget chromebooks, what were the odds?

I have Project Fi, it's alright. Better then dealing with most carriers.
If you live in an area with good coverage from t-mobile, sprint, or US Cellular coverage, it's wonderful.
Expensive if you use a lot of data, but I am always under two gigs a month so my cost is under $40.

TV ad blitz is not how you sell lots of phones. You gotta shill people into the gimmicks throughout their daily lives until they get stuck with the phone and shill it to themselves everyday because of advertising habit. Google is dumb. The best way they have control over everyone is through the play store bundle services. Im glad they are dumb.

Nationalized Korean companies take over US mobile market and that is why Google is dumb. Google is only good at their search engine and even that is failing hard with gimmicks just like g plus.

What I want to know is what the fuck is up with the forced comma? Every time I heard a commercial it sounds like the voice over person is mentally retarded.

>ad company fails at advertising
really gets your noggin joggin'

Well that's not so bad. Sounds like good coverage then. I've heard of people having some weird hang ups and connection issues though. I'm guessing they got all that shit cleared up?

I would never be surprised about them pulling some bullshit like our "system doesn't support that"

I haven't noticed any weird hangups but for connection issues I don't even think about it because of FiSwitch.

If you were to switch to Fi I would recommend just paying for that app as soon as you can. Fixes any issues you would notice on one network and if you are rooted it's pretty quick.

Right now I am having issues where TMobile will send some of my texts and calls into the ether but sprint handles it fine. Google pretty much gave me $100 is free credit for an issue like that :P

So anytime you're in t-mobile towers it fucks up and you have no idea? That sounds like a massive pain in the ass without that app.

T-Mobile, sprint, and att all allow unlocked pixels on thier networks.

It happens occasionally, support told me it's T-Mobiles towers in the area and they need to fix it so oh well.

Well still thanks for the heads up on that app and all that info user. I appreciate it.

You're welcome.

Besides, if you end up not liking the service, you end up only paying for like $30 MAX?