/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>WARNING: Motherboards with Intel's 100 series chipset (B150, Z170, etc) will require a BIOS flash to support the new Kaby Lake CPUs!
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a Kaby Lake system

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>OUTDATED CPU RECOMMENDATIONS (no mention of Kaby Lake)
>Consider substituting an i5 7500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B150/B250 or H110/H210 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/user/EliteKnightRamza/saved/nFkjXL
pcpartpicker.com/list/mvqLbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/62WnNN
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/w6vK8d
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ANNOUNCEMENT: Kaby Lake has been released! Skylake is depreciated if corresponding chips are similarly priced (i.e., i5 7600K vs i5 6600K)!
>Some Z series motherboards will have a one-click, 5GHz on air OC button that works for 80% of i5 7600Ks
>Z series chipsets have an "Enhanced Turbo" under XMP, which allows all cores to run at the highest single core boost clockspeed (works for Skylake CPUs as well)
>Pentiums now have hyperthreading, and are thus the new default budget / entry level gaming CPUs
>Pentium G4560 is the best price / perf four thread CPU on a modern platform
>All Kaby Lake CPUs work natively with 2400MHz DDR4 memory
>Do not underestimate the impact of fast (>2400, 3000MHz is price/perf champ) RAM in conjunction with a Z series chipset, which often provides as much of a performance boost as a moderate CPU overclock

nice video game consoles :^)

Thanks bro, glad to have you here. Wouldn't be the same without you

>no m2ssd slot for my H97 Mainboard
i ruined

pcpartpicker.com/user/EliteKnightRamza/saved/nFkjXL

I need help with this Kaby lake build. I'm skeptical about the board and case that I chose. Zero reviews out for z270 boards, and I suspect I'm overpaying for features I don't need.

I intend to OC, so I want a board with a decent bios that will give me some OC headroom. I also want a case with good airflow, easy to clean, and dust filters. The case I picked seems to have poor airflow when the filters are in, and no filter on the side panel so dust is still going to get in despite the filters.

Any ideas on how to fix my build? Also I have a 1TB hard drive already, should I add an SSD?

>wanting a poorly-placed M.2 port with only PCIe2.0 4x maximum
You're in lucky, PCIe-to-M.2 adapters not only allow you to mount a heatsink and keep them away from the hottest part of your motherboard (under the graphics card), but they're guaranteed to be faster than native M.2 ports on nearly all LGA1150 motherboards.

Also note that Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a Kaby Lake system

How can I improve this build without going over 880 dollars?

No, it's only Windows 7 and it will install, just not without some workarounds. It's probably best to install something like a Type-1 Hypervisor and run Windows 7 as a bare metal VM.

You could get a well reviewed Z170 and flash the BIOS with the Kaby Lake update if you don't need the extra PCIe lanes.

Might want a smaller case

Can you link me? I'll delete that post if so

You could potentially:

>Drop down to 8gb RAM
>Cheaper case
>Remove WD HHD
>Drop down to i3

Up to you though

>should I add an SSD?
Yes

Intel only said that Kaby Lake and onwards wouldn't support Windows 7, which means that there will be no firmware updates or the like if anything goes wrong with the install or operating system in general. It does NOT mean that you can't simply install the system and hope for the best.
Which is why it's probably better to install Windows 7 as a Type-1 Hypervisor, since the operating system will rely on the virtualization "operating system" and its drivers in order to use resources. Plus, if anything goes wrong with Windows (which is guaranteed), you can always start from a "clean slate" within minutes with a copy of the original VM's image kept on a separate drive.

>Type-1 Hypervisor

Is there a good resource to learn about this? Interested in doing that with my upcoming Kaby.

Google nigger

pcpartpicker.com/list/mvqLbj

Any better itx cases that still fit full size gpus other than the 250D?

I'm shrinking from my current build but don't have any real reason to get a new gpu

Looking to buy a pc from a computer shop because Im lazy. Theyll build an i5 16 RAM 1TB desktop for $600.

Am I getting ripped off?

Find the parts online or similar ones and see how much just the parts cost
the decide if the difference is worth being lazy

you don't even know the specifications so of course you're being ripped off

Can I get a case recommendation too? Looking for good airflow and easy to clean, dust filters preferred.

pcpartpicker.com/list/62WnNN
I wanna get a gaming pc where I can get loads of fps at high resolutions
Did I do good?

Likely, considering the graphics component is unstated

Honestly I don't know much about cases

Define series Fractal Design are nice.

Get faster ram

What do you recommend?

Not really, here's a better skeleton
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/w6vK8d

Nooblord here, looking for a new case fan for my computer to go behind my cpu cooler on the back. (120mm)
What are good brands for this (pls no silly LEDs) as the one i previously had was making a very loud ticking noise (prolly the bearing in it).

Im not building a fancy gaming rig Im going to be using a lot of virtual machines at the same time.

I'd say 3000 is the best for price / performance.

Then yes, you'd definitely be getting ripped off.

Corsair are fine if you ignore the meme
Same with noctua

>>OUTDATED CPU RECOMMENDATIONS (no mention of Kaby Lake)
But... I do. 7700K is in there. The rest of the Kaby stuff is on hold till the prices settle.

Wouldn't this method be much slower than just lubing up and installing Win10

greetings from /wfg/

/wfg/ - Warframe General?

Well, he wanted to install Windows 7/8.1 with as little issues as possible.

Is it safe to get a cheaper graphics card from Amazon's warehouse deals? Its says it's "Used - Like New, Item is in original, pristine packaging"

Anyone here ever ordered a warehouse card? Doesn't say anywhere how much it's used

Had a friend order his a year or two ago from a warehouse deal
it was an open box but otherwise new

Are there likely to be any monitor sales soon? PG279Q asus rog is available for 600 as a reburb but I still feel the pain of buying a monitor for that much. But even gsync free 1440 144hz monitors are running 450-500 so i feel like I may as well make the jump for gsync

Yeah. S/N is printed on the box. Compare it, and if it doesn't match, bitch.

Regarding quality, AW is just Amazon's returns. It's rare that people get fucked off it

Tangentially related

What's a good combined cable modem/wifi router or modem+ wifi router that isn't super expensive and ideally supports custom firmware?

My current router is buzzing and dropping packets, causing lag spikes in games that I NEED to fucking stop...

Amazon warehouse deals: stuff people have RMAed/returned. It's the equivalent of refurbished/open box on newegg

Can you guys help me pick out a monitor?

I have the ubiquitous ASUS VG248 1080p/144Hz 24" now which I'm totally happy with for daily use and PC gaming (5820k/380x CF). Ideally I'd like to pick up a second, larger display to be used as a spare screen for controller based PC games/emulation and maybe a PS4 Pro down the road since I might like to check out some of the console exclusives. Ideally it would be 27" or slightly larger and 16:9.

High refresh rate isn't a priority for this screen, I think I'd be fine with 60 Hz given what it's intended use is. Any problems with a PS4 trying to upscale from 1080p to 1440p? When will 4K HDR monitors show up? Q2? Worth waiting for? Any suggestions? Thanks senpai.

r8 my rig (ssd under the hdd's)

Cables have too many colors. Pretty neat though
What case?

yup

compact&efficient/10

i need some wise eyes on this. buying parts over the next few months to put together, gonna buy the motherboard on sunday

build 1. kaby lake, z270, modern. has a big m.2 for the aesthetics, plus a white/blue finish

build 2. skylake, z170, still relevant. has a small m.2 for boot and an SSD for all the rest. red/black finish to make it interesting

i already own the case, but it's holding an old AMD phenom II/660ti build and i'd like to experience some modern gaming and a modern pc experience.

so,
-kaby lake or skylake?
-1070 in SLI or single 1080?
-m.2 to boot and SSD, or m.2 for all storage?
-i'm going to be overclocking, air cooler or liquid? i can fit a top-tier radiator in this case with 140mm fans

i'll be gaming in 1440p, and i'd like to see 70-80fps on max settings in multi-player FPS' like R6siege and BF1

Help me Sup Forums. I need an m.2 SSD. This SSD will be used solely as game install space. I install a good 50% of my library at all times as I don't like waiting for the game to re-download. I currently have a Samsung 120GB 840 series for OS, Samsung 250GB 850 EVO for Linux, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO for game installs.

I'm looking to make the 500GB workspace for when I edit video. Should I keep the Samsung streak going and just get a Samsung NVME m.2? If so which one? 950 pro or 960 EVO?

Are the Intel 600p drives good? Anyone have one? I know in synthetic benches, the Samsung drives are top dog. But in real world, would I even feel that?

Last option was a 1.2TB intel 750 series but they're sold out everywhere and where they're not, they're all stupid over priced.

there was a comparo posted a couple days ago, samsung beat the intel by like 6 seconds on a cold boot

Go with Kaby lake. The chips have been seeing higher overclocks than Skylake. Plus Kaby seems to handle the higher clocked RAM much better.

If you have the money, always go for a larger m.2. M.2 booting vs SATA is a waste of money. If you're going to buy an m.2 SSD, go for the largest one you can afford. You can always add less expensive SATA based SSDs in the future.

As for 1070 SLI vs 1080, if you're only gaming at 1440p, get a single 1070. No really. I have a 6700k and 980 TI build and max everything at 1440p. When running 1440p, you only need max x4 AA compared to x6/x8 at 1080p because of the higher pixel density. Take the money you're saving and shove it onto a larger m.2 SSD or bump that i5 to an i7. Many games, especially games like R6 and the new BF love moar coars. Not uncommon for me to see load across all 8 threads on my 6700k. My buddy even sees properly distributed threads on his older i7-990X build.

Lastly, as for air vs AiO liquid, always Air cooling IMO. I'm running pic related. Cooling my 4.4ghz bumped 6700k and I see 67C at absolute maxe when encoding video for 8+ hours at a clip. A good air cooler will last you forever. Worst that can happen is the fan dies and you have to dust occasionally. AiO always runs the risk of the pump dying, or the unit outright leaking. Broken? Hope you have 6 weeks to play phone tag for the warranty and/or $110 more for another unit.

Just my 2 cents.

Dude you've just answered all my questions, and you have experience to boot. Thank you, wholeheartedly.

One question though, why so many drive cages?

That's what came in my Fractal R5. I could remove the bottom 3, but why? My entire build is almost entirely quiet, air flow is no problem. Case doesn't have a window, and there is sound dampening foam all over the place. Removing the cage would only make me lose it when I need it.

I intend to make something akin to pic related. Make my entire main build nothing but SSDs and mitx. Just haven't had time to really sit down an plot out an Mitx gaming build. Plus I'm waiting on 10TB disks to come down so I can buy 4, throw them in RAID 10 with a dedicated SAS controller.

>TL;DR
Because why not and I can

If you're willing to spend a bit, corsair cases are lovely. Fractal design cases are solid, and phanteks cases are amazing.

I'm willing to spend around 100-120. I want to spend towards quality I don't care if it looks nice I am 100% function over form. If it has great air flow, easy to clean, and filters, and fits all my parts, I am happy.

Do you recommend anything specific from those brands you mentioned?

I'm currently using a 600c. Gorgeous case, tons of space (really too much), very easy cable routing, super minimalist and lovely looking. Only two problems, and that's that it only has 2 3.5 bays. (HDD) The front filter also requires taking off the front panel, which is pretty easy to get at.

What I did is I got a 5.25 (cd) bay converter and used it to install my extra harddrives. It does, however, have 3 laptop hdd/ssd bays.

The phanteks enthoo evolv cases are super sexy and lovely, in both function and form.

However, if you just want functionality, any of the fractal design cases are solid. As long as you don't go NZXT or for some of the more awful thermalitke/coolermaster cases you're fine. (NZXT because all their cases feel cheap)

Buy the cheapest one. At those speeds, you won't really notice the difference in loading times.
But what you could do is use the 960 EVO as a workspace drive and keep the 850 EVO for games. It has higher endurance rating and you will notice the difference in speed. Again, you only gain about a second less loading time over the 850 EVO which really doesn't fucking matter for online games since you still have to wait for everyone else to load their session. The 950 PRO is slower than the 960 EVO until the 960 runs out of cache. Then it drops to just over the 850 EVO's peak write speeds. Consider the 950 PRO over the 960 EVO if sustained sequential write speeds are essential.
I'm about to retire my 950 PRO myself, I've gotten nearly 100TB of writes on it due to it working as both a direct record drive and a cache for editing large video files.

bitphenix prodigy.

thanks m8, not much of a gamer, focused more on space saving and thermals so the computer lasts as long as possible.

wow holy shit 100TB. Thanks for the input. Yea I was leaning towards the intel 600p.

>bitphenix
My poor child
I still have the scars from the last time I tangled with a BitPenis Pandora

Is there finally a reason for me to upgrade from my R9 290?

It's probably good for even more than that (SSD health is still at 99%), but I'm tossing it since I have no use for it with a 2TB 960 PRO in the mail and I don't want to sell it. I'll probably snap it in two to prevent garbage pickers from accessing it.

>Use isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip to wipe up heatsink
>Brown smudges everywhere
>Use isopropyl alcohol dabbed on a coffee filter to wipe up
>no smudges to be seen
What gives?

>Brown smudges everywhere
Nigger, what do you think is keeping the cotton tip attached to the stick?
At least you've learned from it.

really? I'll buy that shit for $150. DBAN that motherfucker. Don't go snapping it for no reason.

Why would I trust you with my files? DBAN doesn't work properly on NVMe drives. There was a white paper article on it back in 2015.

eh I like it, not the most effecient case for a matx board, but I like the look and the airflow seems really good for only having two fans.

ahhh that changes things. I'd be wary of selling a drive I couldn't properly DBAN as well.

Isn't the write limit on the Samsung 950 pro something ridiculous? Like in the Petabytes? Are you messing with like mission critical data all the time that you NEED a drive at 100% health?

>Are you messing with like mission critical data all the time that you NEED a drive at 100% health?
I work for businesses, which is enough for me to count all the video files I work with as "mission critical"

But NAND wear is the least of my concerns. Any time spent not waiting for editing or encoding to finish is time better spent on other projects.

very true. Seeing as you're one of the 2% of people who actually use the new NVME drives for what they were designed for, I'd say you're the better opinion on the matter. Hope that 2TB 960 PRO suits you well. Shame the 950 is going to get broke. Maybe you have a spare PC you can toss it in? Or like a pcie to m.2 converter and make it a backup work drive or something.

The 600p didn't impress me, if you go M2, don't fuck around, get a Samsung 950/960/951
Or just don't get an m2, SATA SSDs are plenty fast already
These are my own hard drives

How hot does it get and where is it mounted?

1080 or future 1080 Ti.

There's no temp sensor on the drive so I don't know, I doesn't throttle even while writing giant files from drive to drive over and over so I assume it doesn't get too hot. It's mounted just below the CPU fan, above the GPU so it's got decent airflow

I know waiting for new parts is a meme, but I'm planning on building a PC in the next couple weeks. Should I wait for Ryzen? How far off is it, realistically?

Wait so there's no chance of getting burned if Ryzen turns out to be good.

It's not a meme and yes you should wait. Q1 release if I remember.

March. Expect scarce availability at first but it's probably going to be in reviewer's hands by the end of February.

>people buying locked kabylake instead of skylake
>b-but im scurrrred of overclocking
>b-but locked skylake can't overclock
kek

I got a few questions.
1. Is it OK to choose Skylake CPU over Kaby Lake if KL pricing is significantly higher? As far as I can tell, performance-wise it's not much of a difference.
2. Will KL CPU work with Z170 motherboard and is it possible to BCLK-overclock non K Kaby?
3. What is the best cooler for moderately overclocked SL/KL within 25-35 USD price range?

Honestly wanting to run the hardware at default settings isn't that unreasonable. Heck the 7600 turbos only 100mhz lower than what I keep my 6600k at. A 7600 plus a cheap board and the free Intel cooler is considerably cheaper than 6600k, z170 board, and at least $22usd for a decent cooler.

Yes
Yes, maybe
Evo 212 meme cooler isn't bad.

cryorig h7

1. Kaby is slightly better, but if you havent upgraded in a while and dont mind spending $20 more on a better cpu, go with Kaby.
2. Kaby will work with Z170 after the Bios is updated. The Catch is that you will need a Skylake CPU to install the Bios update. After that, Kaby will work.
2.5. "BCLK-overclock non K Kaby", i dont know, but i dont see why not.
3. Hyper 212 seems to be a standard for most builds. Toms Hardware has a bunch of charts comparing Air Coolers.

1: go for it. Same ipc just higher clocks. A 6500 will last for years.
2: it works but you need a BIOS update first. Can't update BIOS without a CPU. If you have a friend has a Skylake cpu, you can use that to update it, just pay for some thermal paste for them. Bclk no idea.
3. Cryorig h7 easily.

Hyper 212 EVO? The heatsink is fine. The fan, however, is not. Slap on two good fans and it's good, but it is still a bitch to install compared to a Noctua.

I have a 212 evo right now. Temps are low with a 4.2ghz oc on my 6600k but going into the 4.4-4.5 territory makes it a bit too warm for my liking. Do you think replacing the fan would help?

Yes, better fans would help airflow. And it appears you lost the silicon lottery, my 4790k hits 4.6GHz all cores stable at 1.27v.

Thanks.
Not available in my country but thanks anyway.
>Kaby will work with Z170 after the Bios is updated. The Catch is that you will need a Skylake CPU to install the Bios update
Oh, ok. Got it. Thanks.
> go for it. Same ipc just higher clocks. A 6500 will last for years.
Now I got a really strange question.
Let's say I want to overclock non K skylake and I can get 6600 (not K one) slightly cheaper than 6500, should I go for it? Is there some advantages?

isn't kaby win10 only?

Is not. If you install anything other than Windows 10, you just won't have access to some newer features.

Should I upgrade my front fans or my back fan first? Is this a coin flip decision?

Change ATX case for a mATX case, some might be cheaper, but I would recommend looking at Define mini C, would only cost up to 10 more, but since you chose mATX board, why not mATX case too

>slightly better
it just overcocks better.

Oh it's stable. I'm just a pussy about temps even though i know it's fine well above 70s. I only have a 1080p/ 60hz monitor. If any game I play sees a bottleneck I'll be extremely surprised. Even GTA V gets 60 fps smooth. Why push the clock speeds when my performance needs are met?

What are the better AMD GPU manufacturers ? Never owned an AMD card, but now I will probably buy 480 or 470, no idea what manufacturer to take, I've seen people talk about XFX but that one doesn't stock here, so what other good ones are ?
Also how much more powerful is 480 8gb against 470 8gb ?

If 6600 is cheaper than 6500 then go for that.

>it's fine well above 70s
What?
Mine never hits 70C unless all cores are 100% in usage such as converting a long ass mp4 into a webm I eventually cut into smaller files for shitposting purposes. And it doesn't go above 73C.
Better get yourself those two fans soon.