Have obtained a free power pc macintosh. What can i do with it?

Have obtained a free power pc macintosh. What can i do with it?

So far ive come up with:
1. Install linux, put in kitchen
2. Install linux, put in bathroom
3. Install linux put back in closet

what actually is it
run OS 9 on it or 10.4+9 dualboot if it's a DDR model, don't waste it doing the same shit you can do on a cheap-ass thrift store core 2 box but 10 times slower

or at least put openBSD on it

Emac g4, cool open bsd supports it. Might try that instead.

trash it, power pc is useless
and don't install BSD it's garbage for people with social disorders

no I mean what specific eMac
PC133 models are pretty glacial if you want to just use it as a web surfer

you're really better off trying OS 9/OSX first, the software base is very well archived and you'll have a lot more fun playing with new shit and a new environment than you will just using it as a slow-ass shitposting machine

Would debian be better, idk i could use it for shitposting. I remember screwing around with this pc in 2010, and it could still do youtube and stuff.

Might as well take a sledgehammer to it. Anything useful it can do you could buy a cheap computer that will be orders of magnitude smaller to do it so you might as well get rid of it.

no, debian is mega garbage for idiots

Dualboot OS X 10.5.8 and OpenBSD, you can even play HD video with it

It's been like 6 months, why are you still pretending to be me?

Eat a dick, you pathetic sack of shit.

u have that backwards, nerd

>user is powerpcfag
>anime shit
Clearly an imposter. Enjoy shitposting with my old trip.

your clearly jealous
i bet you don't even own any powerpc computers

>Dualboot OS X 10.5.8
on one of those things? seems like it would be slower than shit on G4-class stuff especially if he's got a 2002 era one

the option of classic mode is also kind of nice with 10.4 since you can find all kinds of good shit on the garden

I have more sdram luckily

wew lad that's a grade-A computer lab fleet shitbox
but not in a bad way, it is the slowest model though
if you really feel the need to punish that thing with slow ass video playback then try OpenBSD on it but otherwise it's a pretty good candidate for an OS 9 install and it will probably run great with it and get more mileage that way

Fuck it. Never tried openbsd before it cant be that bad.

I've also got a PowerBook G4 and Mac Mini G4 behind me, a PowerMac G5 next to me, a PowerMac G4 in the other room, and various others throughout the house.

If he's got an older one he should stick with Tiger but the newer ones will run Leopard fine. And yeah, Classic is great.

Install the Sims 1 mac and leave it running forever like a fishtank in your kitchen

Sims 2 runs on PowerPC OS X too, As do Doom 3, Pro Skater, and more.

Hotglue it OP

Install classic and use it to play old Mac versions of games like DOOM, Wolfenstein 3D (+ get a copy of WolfEdit and make your own levels), Power Pete, all the weird oddware shareware and freeware games and some of the old Mac exclusives. Don't try to do any kind of "normal" web browsing on it. Use ftp to pull files or throw them on a USB drive and bring them over. Play around with old versions of Photoshop, premiere and even hypercard. Shit like this can be fun on a boring day sometimes.

Install GNU/Linux and use it as a shitposting machine.

no

Definitely tinker with OS 9 a bit. It's very unique, you'll see how Windows/Mac/Linux are all the same these days.

You could play Myst and Starcraft and Carmen Sandiego, you could try Flash 5, or some old audio synths, or Hypercard. There's plenty more, of course. People don't archive old OS X software nearly as much as OS 9 stuff.

yes

If he's going to game on an old PowerPC, there was some great stuff that only ran on mac or was unknown outside of the mac community.

OP, you should check out Deimos Rising or Escape Velocity:Nova. If you can find a copy somewhere, Wingnuts:Temporal Navigator.

Really any of the older PowerPC era games from Ambrosia/Freeverse

>You could play Myst and Starcraft and Carmen Sandiego
Don't forget jazz jackrabbit 2. And that dinosaur third person shooter where you're decked out in weapons wrecking other dinosaurs.

If you do use PowerPC Mac OS X run TenFourFox for your bowser.

Linux runs on PowerPC machines but Mac OS X and OpenBSD support them well.

>Linux runs on PowerPC machines
But good luck finding any repos.
Almost every one I chased down to get software was either far out of date or plain missing.

There are issues with Nouveau and Radeon on PPC Linux. You probably wont have working 3d acceleration, and you might not even have 2d acceleration.

That's my point. Sure you can install a Linux distro, but you'll have a better time with Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, and/or OpenBSD

He's not going to be able to play Doom3 on that.

Yeah, I didn't see that he had an older one.

512 added

factory reset it and pop it on ebay