Who here wants to help me build a reddit+Sup Forums+hackernews alternative?

Who here wants to help me build a reddit+Sup Forums+hackernews alternative?

>scope:
>It's going to be similar to reddit in that it's community driven, anyone can make a sub-forum and moderate it and the admins only interfere in legal situations
>similar to Sup Forums in that it will allow anonymous postings, but they will be limited to a few per day per user until you get your karma up
>similar to Hacker News in that you get more privileges as your karma goes up

>philosophy:
>privacy and free speech first
>anti-shill
>anti-spam
>anti-corporate (to a certain extent, e.g. Microsoft software won't be used on our backend)
>openness

>Devs needed:
>backend:
>go
>rust
>maybe C for very high performance parts
>no fucking java or C++
>front end:
>vue/react/or no framework? It's going to be kind of a big app, more similar in layout to reddit
>html
>css
>javascript (yes we need js if we want a modern app and not some bull shit that requires you to reload a page to send a form)

I know Go and JS.

Pic is an old concept I made for Sup Forums, not really related but maybe it can get the ideas flowing.

So if anyone is interested lets get this thing going.

Other urls found in this thread:

linux.org.ru
github.com/TopicForumDev/topic
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

if you're asking on Sup Forums, the project has already failed

i'll get started on the logo

linux.org.ru

I don't want fucking reddit or Hacker news cucks getting in on this shit at the beginning or they'd ruin it.

>.ru

no thanks

>alarm
Just go back in time and go to Reddit back then when r/programming was the most popular subreddit.

did it actually have linux users? Now it's dominated by MS shills.

>free speech
>limited posting with karma
Kill yourself redditor.

I was thinking about maybe having certain areas of the site that allow unlimited anonymous posting, but the posts are pruned/deleted after a certain amount of time has passed. I like the rules that r9k has that force users to create unique posts too, something that could be used to cut down on anonymous spam.

shit idea

Sup Forums and reddit are popular because of their simplicity. overcomplicating things is pointless

What part is over complicated?

But the simplicity appeals to normies. Why do you think we still use IRC and they don't?

>karma

why tho? Its what ruined reddit

This

adding privileges and limiting posting. this only raises the barrier of entry and you're not really offering anything new that will make the site worthwhile. if people cared about free speech then voat would be popular
fine enjoy your site with ten users

>openness

nobody cares that you're gay OP

Voat is probably more popular than Sup Forums.

Limiting posting is good for new users because it helps them put more thought into what they want to post.

What you're suggesting is that I create a social media free-for-all and allow retards to post whatever retarded shit they want.

what makes you think Sup Forums is any better? Any Sup Forums user with a decent idea does not bring it here, with good reason.

>it will allow anonymous postings, but they will be limited to a few per day per user until you get your karma up

if this is enforced, then it's automatically /trash/

I'll help ONLY if we use nginx, CentOS and C++ (no C allowed or Java allowed)

>Voat is probably more popular than Sup Forums

highly doubt it, i checked it out and it was dead as hell, just a bunch of butthurt redditors who got downvoted for having conservative views

voting systems are not conducive to discussion at all

>Voat is probably more popular than Sup Forums.
voat isn't even a top 10,000 site

Sup Forums is top 500

>CentOS and C++ (no C allowed

don't let the door hit your on your way /out/

Because Sup Forums doesn't have nearly as many shills.

Go to even /r/Linux on reddit and you will see MS shills pushing MS products.

Sup Forums is a more pure community. They aren't driven by corporate fanaticism or a desire to please others. They do the things they do because they choose too. Nobody makes a Sup Forums user install Linux, he chooses to do so.

What would possess someone to do this when you know for a fact they probably got their computer pre-loaded with Windows? It is the innate desire to pursue knowledge and release the shackles of closed and locked-down systems.

Reddit and Hacker news don't possess these traits. I don't want to be part of a cimunity founded by people totally willing to suck Microsofts dick and let themselves be cuckolded by any corporation that wants to cuckold them.

>They aren't driven by corporate fanaticism or a desire to please others. They do the things they do because they choose too.

Do you have access to some kind of alternate Sup Forums? Because what Sup Forums I browse is exactly the opposite.

Fuck it. I will even do basic html layouts (I don't do CSS outside of simple bootstrap) and jQuery.

I'm not helping with anything web-related that uses rust though

You want help?

Okay, visionary, what will you do once you receive all of this free help?

Take control of the website and then sell it to the first bidder? Or maybe sell people's information like Sup Forums already does?

How fucking stupid do you think people are? This is exactly what Kikeberg did to Facebook.

I started working as an alternative:
github.com/TopicForumDev/topic
Then I pretty much abandoned it (might go work on it some more in the future though, I have more urgent projects for now). There's a change in the DB format where you want admin levels instead of admin status names or whatever, aside from that, the database format has to be deduced from the code (see the query-generating macros, should be simple enough).
Only thing it's missing is captchas, a webserver in front of the app, better admin tools, and thread lifetime management.
For captchas, I wanted to try to generate questions based on frequency of input on the board (e.g. if the phrase "all your bases are belong to us" is popular, i.e. it's become an in-joke of choice, then a generated question may look like "all your bases ____ belong to us"). This should help additionally prevent outsiders from joining in without at least a modicum of lurking.
For admin tools, it's pretty straightforward. Right now adminning has to be mostly done via direct DB manipulation. There's a page stub to fix this.
Web server and thread liftetimes are meant to be handled externally by design. For thread lifetimes, I wanted to purge the least responded-to threads every day so that only K active threads remain, thus this scales with the userbase as well as allowing popular threads to stay on for a very long time instead of needed to remake them all the time.
Additionally, only minimal js is used here so even without js it's possible to post and the like. This is a mandatory condition. Only redditards will use the site otherwise.

As for moderation, all undesirable elements should be banned with maximum prejudice. Not doing so is what killed Sup Forums.

What company does Sup Forums worship and constantly make excuses for?

Can't sell an open source project. Stop being so paranoid. I'm 100% prepared to do 90% of the heavy lifting my self anyway, because I'm actually one of the few good programmers on Sup Forums. I've already built Sup Forums and hacker news clones. I mostly just need people for the front end because I hate writing html and css, but it will be helpful to have a few more people on the backend too.

Hopefully all the top devs of the project can become friends and we can hang out together.

>similar to Sup Forums in that it will allow anonymous postings, but they will be limited to a few per day per user until you get your karma up

>privacy and free speech first

Choose one group.

What distro would you use then, why use rust, and why do you want to use C?

I might try to contribute to this or fork it but I don't know rust.

Rust means safety means none of the billion exploits out in the wild that hits every single other website invariably.
C++ has facilities to help with that, though. C, on the other hand, not only has nothing, not only is significantly less safe than C++, along with having much weaker typing, but you have to reinvent the wheel to get anywhere.

free speech doesn't mean you're free to spam.

When I say free speech I mean I'm not going to ban people just because they say something offensive.

If someone is interested in using this, I recommend they fork. I released the code because I figure it could somehow be useful either to people who want to make sites in rust, or people who want to make anonymous forums in that style, but as I said, the likelihood that I'll go back to working on it is slight.

That doesn't even remotely address the point.

>HEY, GUYS! I NEED A LIGHT SPEED ROCKET SHIP TO ALPHA CENTAURI AND 50 CREWMEN!

Why, user?

> BECAUSE I WANT TO MAKE A WEBSITE WHERE WE CAN SHITPOST TECH NERD STUFF ON

Wait, are you OP? It sounds like you just gave a reason not to use C.

If you want to use a little C for performance, there is no reason to use Rust. If you want to use C for a non-embedded system, there is no reason to not use C++ and just use it as C with classes.

Still waiting to hear your distro of choice

>if I ignore literally everything in the post, I win
huh... really makes you think...

It's VERY difficult to have a system in place to manage this. Especially when it comes to free speech.

I believe he's on the right track with Reddit and Sup Forums. We do need some type of hybrid. Sup Forums is so free-speech-y that you get a bunch of edgy NEETs that say stupid shit just for the sake of it. Fun isn't it? Well, it fucks up the atmosphere and ruins the discussions. A place like Reddit is full of pseudo-intellectuals that are very liberal and pretend to be fake nice to each other with their cringe humor.

Sup Forums is more natural and real and Reddit has MUCH higher quality. You can even go to a sub and sort by top all time and, theoretically, get the best content from that place. It should, in theory, destroy shitposting... But if you're recruiting the fucking autists on this board... They might fuck with the system just to be edgy because that's what virgins do.

Granted both sides have downsides... You see all these Windows, macOS, Linux, etc. posts? How do you KNOW they're not shills? It's free and quick to post. And they always bait you and make you reply. Reddit is a bit difficult to manipulate because you need a lot of accounts and all... But it can still be manipulated if a group chooses to.

I don't know...

Just use chan software and slap some web 2.0 garbage on it.

But you're going to ban them for things which you deem stupid or "undesirable".

It'll be as much of a biased echochamber as reddit and hn, just towards your own opinions.

Hello OP. Tell us when you're tired of spouting retarded shit and ready to take this seriously. Going to work on the logo in the meantime.

Make it p2p, decentralized, open source and anonymous

If it can't offer that, fuck off

Nice numbers my man. But OP believes that trips are a good thing and wants tripfags to be the primary users of his site.

Are you a native English speaker? I ask because you said "you have to reinvent the wheel just to do anything in C". Reinventing the wheel is not a good thing user. Why would we want to do that?

Also, rust is a systems programming language. Why the fuck would we use rust to build a web-app?

I hope you're not saying that you think people need to make exploits in the same language we use to actually make the exploit work, because that is not true.

Also, what distro are you gonna use?

>backend LITERALLY only required I/O

USE NODEJS KEK

>vue/react/or no framework

ANGULAR2 FAG

>I know Go and JS

Please forget Go and learn something else it's hot fucking garbage

I consider my opinions facts.

>using segfaultable languages for a web service.
> not using Java

Sounds like what you want is Stormfront.

What was the name of that previouos Sup Forums project that was developed some time ago? Like some IRC/Skype alternative with more privacy or whatever.

What happened to that project?

(You)

Tox

Jesus I just googled it. Seems like that project didn't outright fail, which I thought it would.

Also I just got fucking trips.

> Sup Forums project
> Tox
Really? Well then.

I'm literally spamming refresh waiting to get a reply OP

OP here, that's not me who you're talking to.

Oh my bad then.

What distro btw?

gross.

For the backend? Probably ubuntu server running on an Amazon EC2 instance.

Also. Why rust? This is a web-app and rust is for systems programming.

But we'll need a distributed infrastructure though. Some servers may not run Ubuntu.

Likely we'd have at least two or three instances of the site with the database and other components running on separate servers in each instance, and a load balancer in front of it all. Maybe debian stable on the load balancer.

I was thinking it would mostly be Go, but there might be some places where rust is appropriate and I just want to use new technologies because I think it's good for the ecosystem.

>go
>rust
holy shit
stopped reading there

it sound interesting but i do like the idea of karma. please elaborate how that would work. also what is stopping people from posting beyond limit and how to do associate user to their karma

I think it would be far more elegant to use Haskell for the backend. Go is a dead meme. Stale rotting thing from 2016. Haskell is the future.

commit suicide.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything, but I promise CentOS is better than Debian for servers. Our company just switched. Also you want every server to be as identical as possible, so only choose one OS.

C++ 14/17 is new. I really am not getting the rust thing. Also for loadbalancing I recommend nginx. Can program fastcgi modules in C++

Looks so much better than Infinity Never.

Just remember that these never were and never will be profitable, so make sure you're ready to take that loss.

>anyone can make a sub-forum and moderate it
this is recipe for disaster, you shouldnt give mod powers to anyone, people start luring naive people into small hidden zones and mentally rape them via social engineering, 7+1chan is proof of this, being able to follow users along posts kill anonymity, there are groups of users who all know each other and abuse this to dox and mess with other user's heads

its detrimental to the sense of community, you need few big boards with trustable, or at least accountable, moderators

>backend:
>go
>rust
>maybe C for very high performance parts
>no fucking java or C++
>front end:
>vue/react/or no framework? It's going to be kind of a big app, more similar in layout to reddit

wtf are you on, my dude?
why use all these meme shit?
Who the fuck uses go for webdev?
How many coders are going to be available to program on fucking vue or react?
Drop the meme tools and languages, get the coders first, and then everyone votes on the techs to use based on the knowledge of the now already existing group.

>rust
The standard library is so anemic you can't even write hello world. How do you expect to make a website?

>coders

>>no fucking java or C++
i'm in

i will make the logo

OP based on your personality in this thread I'm guessing you're possibly autistic and definitely an asshole

No way I'm working with you.

>koders

I'm C++ guy. Wanna work with me?? We can make our own, better server and it'll be great!

No hanging out tho, I have normie friends

>Sup Forums with upvotes

2000000% retarded

upvoted :^)

I'm not an ass hole so long as you aren't a moron.

This is fucking retarded and shit.
>limited to a few per day
retarded
>karma
retarded
>privileges
retarded
>free speech first
How does any of this put free speech first?

>anti-shill, anti-spam
inb4 anything the mods disagree with becomes treated as 'spam'

>anonymous
>tracks karma
>tracks post count

please do not talk about development anymore.

>javascript
>no c++
>javascript frameworks
>karma
>centralized servers
>privacy
>Rust no exploits lolololol kekekeke
>i know Go and JS
Shutup you god damn hipster.
You can make everything better what is in your concept(i admit its not bad) in C for backend and html for front.
Would run like a bee and would consume little to no resources.
If you want anti censorship and privacy you would need to build a seed network, hell maybe bootstrap some peer finding from an existing network and share encrypted information with other peers like freenet.

Anyway most of the ideas are retarded if you want truly free speech you will need something like Sup Forums and not reddit.

instead of that do this:
- users must have an account in order to post
- community admins can make the community "anonymous" meaning that users can post but they'll get a randomly generated thread-local poster id
- users can toggle "anonymity" on a per community basis if the community allows for it.

This way the site owner can still responsabilize individual users for eventual rule breaking and throw away accounts will be unnecessary for non-tinfoil users.

Why create this board when you can just use Sup Forums?

Mods shouldn't have the power to ban users even if they break the rules, because there shouldn't be any.

All the people ITT who are mad at OP are C++ devs.

C++ is a shit language for anything.

People like you are ruining this thread.

If you're not a paid shill then you're a literal retard.

lol'd
10/10 shitpost in shit thread

Are you trolling or ignorant?

>reactJS
If you ever want something free speech, only use open source technology.

>they will be limited to a few per day per user until you get your karma up
FUCK
YOU

found the C++ dev

>open source
The code literally doesn't matter for a social site. You absolutely can sell a community.

/thread

>imageboard

These are mutually exclusive. With karma, you get chilling effects and intellectual dishonesty, the halmmarks of Reddit. HN is generally not that great, it's basically one well moderated subreddit.