Started learning Python

>started learning Python
>learn a decent bit, nothing deep, just simple stuff
>realised I don't know what do do with it or I'm incapable of doing ideas I have. (or they've already been done)

was it worth it? how do I get a job in software dev if (my original plan) if I don't know what I'm doing? and how do I learn if I'm not using any of the stuff I learn?

Other urls found in this thread:

courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:MITx 6.00.1x_11 1T2017/info
py3readiness.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

its same for me, i wanted to learn python, stuck at which version to learn because one says learn 2.7 others says learn 3.x. Decided to learn 3.x but idk what to do with it.

same case here lmfao bros

Wait, you want to get a job in software development by only learning Python all by yourself?

You're not going to get a job this way.

I have the opposite problem, I have shitloads of ideas, but as soon as I realize I can accomplish them I lose ambition, its like its "already done" in my head and I don't want to realize it

na just haven't gotten into uni yet

Programming isn't some magic pill you take that gets you a job.

A significant part of programming is creativity. If you can't think of anything to do, or can't think of any ways that programming can simplify your everyday tasks, then you don't need programming.

Stop fapping for a month and you'll have tons of ambition.

>falling for the nofap meme

show me science and I'll consider it

I tried it, I became so sexually frustrated I lost the little ambition I had

All I know is when I get done fapping I just wanna take a nap.

^don't let him discourage you

Programming is fun, trust me, eventually you will start seeing ways to solve your everyday problems through programming, or just making stuff faster.

Also, since you'll learning python, check this course out, it's a bit hard but stick with it, you'll learn a lot:

courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:MITx 6.00.1x_11 1T2017/info

Good luck user

Python is a scripting language. Learn C and start a fun project, like learning OpenGL or socket programming.

I have creativity just not for code, but I'm not going to be a fucking broke book writing autist with a false sense of hope. if I do think of something I don't have the skill to do it or its already done better than I could.

It's not the way to choose a career dude.
Please make a real plan that defines what you want before doing shits.

The simplest way to get a job is in web agencies, you can easily earn $1100 by month doing Angular/React/CSS3 things only, yes just writing simple code. It's petty easy to learn, maybe 3 intensive weeks to master everything.

"Scripting language" is a functional description, not something inherent to the language. You can write scripts in C just as easily as you can in Python.

That's just hormones that get released after an orgasm. They don't last long.

>if I do think of something I don't have the skill to do it or its already done better than I could.

You're right, so why try at all? Might as well give up.

Sarcasm aside, it sounds like you don't enjoy programming so don't do it as a career. You'll end up hating it.

If you enjoyed programming you wouldn't be having these problems. You'd be fully nerding out and trying to make everything you could think of, because it's that much fun.

Pay him no mind. Referring to a programming language as a "script" is just condescending elitist neck beard talk

Thanks dad

How is he supposed to make things when he doesn't even have some solid knowledge? I agree with you, but that stuff comes after you actually know something

This. I wouldn't say that you should give up, just that you shouldn't expect your first few projects to be impressive or original. You should still try implementing your ideas even if that's already been done by others, because it's still useful experience towards getting a job in software development.

>"Scripting language" is a functional description, not something inherent to the language
I bet you enjoy cutting steak with a spoon.

Man all I know is I learned programming by making stuff and I had fun doing it. OP can't get started because he doesn't want to get started IMO. I think he's one of the people who's looking for paycheck and because of that he's gonna end up hating his job 5-10 years from now

I eat my steaks rare like all civilized people do, so yes, I do enjoy when I can cut my steak with a spoon.

maybe I'm making excuses but I think a few of my points have some validity that noone so far has addressed.

also doesn't everyone hate their job after 5-10 years? my goal is to get enough money to go self sufficient or at least mostly self sufficient

this
if you want to use python and/or get a job quickly, look for webdev jobs.

If you are on the Internet and enjoy literally _anything_ there should be something worth letting a script doing it for you.

I learn PHP and a script is putting my meme stash to a server to have it accessible and up to date on three devices. Which also taught me architecture, something about DynDNS, a broad range of simple linux terminal commands and file permission stuff.

The way to learn code if not work related is
- Identify need
- break it down
- automate it

My next thing since I'm a huge weeb who enjoys getting into Best Girl Discussions is making a site where you can put together one "best girl" per show of the current season and have that on an image to show your friends.
Since I already started I can tell you I now know something about cURL and oAuth in APIs.

I also work in Software Development as an overseer and middle management, and see where API Knowledge comes in since we do SOA for a firm with 23k Employees.

This
I started learning python by looking to find ways to solve problems (eg programme that downloads all images from a site, a scraper that daily goes over a site and writes all new items into a data base). Then I started building some websites with Django.

I started the course above because someone posted it here. I can recommend it very much!

Make some simple games or utilities.
I ran out of ideas for stuff to do in C++, so I read a book "about" game programming. I don't care about games, but it gave me some good ideas for crap to make that helps me practice. Not that I'm any good. I just enjoy it.

I started on lame ass text based games. I have super basic implementations already. Now, I'm working on versions where the computer can consistently win more than the player.

-Russian roulette
-Rock Paper Scissors

I'm trying to develop some card games too. I got war done already. I know war is a shitty card game that plays itself, but I had fun making it. Next I'm going for blackjack.

I've also got some simple programs for playing non-computer games.
-A dice roller - rolls XdX
I'm on my third version of that one. I was interested in how random numbers were generated in C++, so I applied what I learned.
-Random digit generator
It randomly generates numbers of arbitrarily set digit length. So 10 random individual digits, instead of one 10-digit number.
-Random number generator
Generates random numbers within a given range.
-Coin flipper
Self explanatory.

I use them to do CYOAs and other dumb games that aren't actually video games or computer games.

Sometimes I see stuff like pic related and make programs that do that for me. I have a C++ program that takes ordinary text and turns it into pic related.

I'm a geneticist and I use programming to make my life easier.

A while back I had to do a large amount of enormously tricky and easy to fuck up primer design for a molecular cloning project. Instead of spending ten minutes per primer making sure I didn't fuck it up, spread over like thirty primers, I spent an hour writing a small Perl script that generated all the primers according to a single set of rules in a second.

If you want to learn Python, learn Python 3. IMO they get better with every version. Once you understand it, you can code in python 2 while understanding the little differences

>I'm incapable of doing ideas I have. (or they've already been done)

If you want a job as a programmer, you either have to be creative and come up with your own ideas, or you have to do stuff that's already been done.

Do the latter until you're able to get a job, then you no longer have to worry about ideas because your boss will tell you what to do.

>Once you understand it, you can code in python 2 while understanding the little differences

Or you can treat Python 2 as legacy, obsolete and nearly EOL and completely ignore it

I never saw a need for Python 2, I honestly don't see why people don't move on.

What does this post have with Python?

eh. a lot of programmers don't have that million dollar idea instead they're working with companies that consist of 1000s of people that make stuff. a lot of the creative people in the company aren't even the programmers, the programmers implement and build hte features that the creative people thought of. not in all cases obviously a lot of features are discussed and passed in as programmers ideas.

They can't move on because their company requires it. These are the only people who still use Python 2 - no one uses it willingly.

Just this week I had to make the decision to use Python 2 instead of 3 and I fucking HATE it.

My uni's free hosting platform uses Openshift, which uses Python 3.3. My project is so small it doesn't need to use anything more complicated than Flask, but there's some weird bug with Flask and 3.3 that makes it not work at all. It works on higher Python versions but those aren't available from Red Hat yet.

So I had to downgrade to 2.7 because for some reason it Just Werks on 2.7.

It was an example in the vein of and , showing examples of how programming can be used to solve everyday life problems.

You're right there's more than 1 type of programmer. One type is the math wizard and another is the creative problem solver.

same here except.

i just built a hangman game in linke twenty minutes from this challenge website. two months ago when i started i wouldn't have been able to do it. now i have a kinda working texas hold em game.

ive built many web scrapers, robots, etc even started a bit torrent client but lost most my code on that.

this

I almost made an irc server and I got done with the main event loop and I went
>well, the rest is just boilerplate
and that was that

>You can write scripts in C just as easily as you can in Python.
no

haha, I feel you brah

>i started a project but couldn't finish it
This is a personality problem, and only you can solve it.

>but couldn't finish it
I could've, but I didn't

the project was done enough for me. It will never be useful to anyone else but I just move onto the next project

here comes the Sup Forums psychologist, how do you deduce that it's a personality problem? It might well have to do with being satisfied with knowing

watch your smart mouth

>it's a personality problem when you recognize that you've gained all the learning benefit you'll see from a particular exercise and can stop and move on

watcha gonna do if I don't~
some people struggle to understand that some people can be different than them, i think its an aspergers symptom actually

>realised I don't know what do do with it
Any project that, however briefly, strikes your fancy.
>or I'm incapable of doing ideas I have.
Read introduction to algorithms. Also, get good at googling library documentation.
>(or they've already been done)
Do them again anyways. Even when you worse (and you might do it better) you'll still learn something.

Parse a wiki dump and tell me how many articles have a capital D in the title.

Literally, there is no reason not to learn 3.x

Unless you're a total retard, you should be able to migrate between the two with ease.

But Python does suck, so it's good you haven't learned it yet.

Well, Django will stop supporting 2.x for starters.

I was stuck "waiting" to start learning Python for over a year because I couldn't make a decision on 2.7 vs 3.

I bit the bullet and started on Python 3. The way I look at it, if I continue the path I'm on, by the time I'm truly 'advanced', Python 3 will be much closer to the norm.

If you haven't looked past the surface, Python 3 is supported by the majority of packages. Take this link for a visual aid: py3readiness.org/

GL to all, don't stall, lets make shit happen senpai

You fucked up, 2.7 is superior

Wrong.

>OpenGL
>fun