/spg/ - SmartPhone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of fucking March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Moto G5 Plus specs confirmed: Snapdragon 625, 4GB RAM, 32GB storage, Android 7.0 Nougat
gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g5_plus_specs_confirmed_by_cpuz_bonus_phone_photos-news-22848.php

Samsung Galaxy J7 (2017) passes FCC certification
gsmarena.com/galaxy_j7_2017_passes_fcc_certification-news-22846.php

Samsung Galaxy S8's Bixby virtual assistant will recognize products and text
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8s_bixby_virtual_assistant_will_recognize_products_and_text-blog-22849.php

iPhone 8 wireless charging 'confirmed' by a new report
gsmarena.com/iphone_8_wireless_charging_confirmed_by_a_new_report-news-22857.php

Nokia P1 to be announced at next month’s MWC in Barcelona
androidcommunity.com/nokia-p1-to-be-announced-at-next-months-mwc-in-barcelona-20170118/

old

Other urls found in this thread:

indiatoday.intoday.in/technology/story/iphone-6-mi-4i-mi-5-phones-are-exploding-and-burning-people/1/730001.html
gsmarena.com/lg_aristo_announced_for_tmobile_and_metropcs_only_59_on_prepaid-news-22808.php
gizmochina.com/2017/01/18/nokia-6-entirely-sold-just-minute-first-flash-sale/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Perfect smartphone doesn't exi-

First for Moto X Style

7.1.1 Update when? I'm tired of using half made Roms

I have a feeling these flagship Nokia are going to be a flop.

Reminder that Xiaomi phones are unreliable.

indiatoday.intoday.in/technology/story/iphone-6-mi-4i-mi-5-phones-are-exploding-and-burning-people/1/730001.html

>No expandable storage
>non removable battery
>only 1080p screen

so close but yet so far

Looks like shit.
Has a shit camera.
Non expandable memory.
No thanks.

I move to nominate the LG Aristo for the current poorfag phone of /spg/

$59 at MetroPCS.
$144 at Tmobile.

gsmarena.com/lg_aristo_announced_for_tmobile_and_metropcs_only_59_on_prepaid-news-22808.php

>>No expandable storage
OTG

>>non removable battery
I have 8+ hours SOT

>>only 1080p screen
Higher res is a meme

Nokia 6 seems to have been a hit
gizmochina.com/2017/01/18/nokia-6-entirely-sold-just-minute-first-flash-sale/

>OTG
Annoying as fuck when you can just have an SD card in your phone.

>8 hours SoT
Nice try shill.

>higher res is a meme
You're only saying this because you've never used anything higher than 1080p.
Because you're poor.

That's because they're riding on the leftover effects of the Nokia branding. The Nokia 6 is still worse than and more expensive than the Zuk Z2 unfortunately.

Disappointing now that they're just another slab phone company.

lmao.

>Snapdragon 425
>1.5GB of RAM
>$144
No. G4 play is better.

Did your Moto X have problems with locking up and freezing? No matter what app I used to view my images (stock gallery, solid explorer picture browser, Google photos) all my thumbnails would be just grey boxes. Then the phone would freeze and reboot. This kept occuring even after a factory wipe.

I have an LG V10 now, but still bums me out to know I have a Moto X pure in my closet not being used.

>.in
D E S I G N A T E D

Stale meme.

Thinking of getting the Zenfone 3 Zoom next month. Should I get it or are there better midranges out there.

Zuk z2.

>tfw the note 4 is LITERALLY the best smartphone ever made.
Feels good mang

so i've been using an iphone 5s for a while just to see what iphones are all like, and i've got to say i like the size of it compared to my htc m9
any other android phones that are around that size/nexus 4 size but are decently specced and have a good xda community as well?

Actually just looked up the zenfone and it looks decent. Battery life should be much better but the zuk will perform better. Depends on what you want to prioritise.

Also AMOLED screen on the zenfone. It seems to be a fair bit more expensive than the zuk though

Yeah, not that good for the price tmobile wants. But it's not a bad deal at metro. For 60 bucks you get Nougat out of the box. Decent enough to use as a spare or temporary phone at least.

I'm running a nightly build (Resurrection Remix 7.1.1) and the gallery is broken. I can't upload pictures to many apps (including clover) and using a few select apps the phone would lock up and freeze.

I saw a crDroid Rom just a few minutes ago, I'll have to switch to that one later on today

Z5 Compact and X Compact. That's literally all there is

>tfw fell for the 6p
>tfw battery bug means I have to carry a battery charger with me everywhere because I don't know when my phone is going to just die

Is there much of a difference between the 820 and the 625 for anything not games/VR?

Just wait until it starts boot looping

Not really.

The 820 would be better if you multitask or leave a lot of apps open though

I'm not flashing nougat until xposed comes out for it anyway so I should be good for a while.

nope on both the xiaomi and samsung front

>No because I said so
At least give a reason faggot.

Probably not on Xiaomi's side?

It's a pretty neat device for its price, but it's not the best even in Xiaomi's lineup.

No 1 cares

Absolutely not* on xiaomis side. They got it right the generation prior.

The headphone jack is fucked up on my moto e lte in such a way that it thinks there's something plugged into it so it refuses to use make sound over the speaker. But for some reason I can take calls over the speaker just fine.

What could be wrong?

is the blackberry classic the thinkpad t420 of phones? I don't game, watch videos, listen to music or anything other than call and text people on my phone. Is it a good choice or should I get a xiaomeme note 3 pro?

The fact that it has a mono speaker is enough to put it off for me - like every other smartphone released in 2016

no. ALso a T420 is not a piece of shit and you can do a lot of stuff, not the bare minimum.

>tfw sony c1905
is there any way to transfer apps to the sd card? i dont get the option for it

>They got it right the generation prior.
It also was a good deal, but there are things that were stupid on that phone too.

Like with the Redmi 3, the screen and supporting frame were less robust and the camera worse than they were on the Redmi 1S, for example.

And the unlocking/rooting protection thing also was supremely retarded. It almost stopped people from *swapping out* adware and spyware infested ROMs the resellers got installed on the phones regardless of this "protection" existing. If you used MIUI with root, it also came back and soft bricked your phone on updates, unlocked phone or not.

what's some cool stuff you can do with xposed?

Anyone here play pokemon go on a custom rom?
I've tried getting rootswitch and magisk to work but both failed.
Could really use some direction on what to try.

>anything other than call and text
Just get a dumbphone them

They got it right, they didn't get it perfect. There will be problems with every single phone that has come out/will come out for decades.

Xiaomi is interested in your data, which is why the unlocking process is so dumb. Thankfully there are ways around it.

Block ads with minminguard

YouTube mods (background playback, no ads)

Gravity box for customization

Xmiui if you have a Xiaomi phone

I WANT A

-COMPACT PHONE
-smartphone
-not i-fone SE
-powerful
-BUDGET:

kill thyself

nothing smaller than 5". Zuk Z2 Pro is your sub 6" phone that has covers everything. Sony is shitting the bed over and over, I don't think they will put a decent compact phone this year. I hope I'm wrong.

pokemon go patches constantly to prevent methods people come up with to circumvent the shit

so really if you want to get into the systemless shit you kind of also have to ensure pokemon go doesn't update, and that you have an earlier version

> Xiaomi is interested in your data, which is why the unlocking process is so dumb.
I think they're just retarded and thought it'd help them curtail the reputation-harming 3rd party ROM many resellers preinstalled.

I mean, the god damn ROM itself already gives them their marketing data. What else does the unlock procedure help?

> Thankfully there are ways around it.
There is no "thankfully" about that.

It just means that in reality, resellers install their crapware with the often changing method or exploit of-the-month, and you will have to find something equivalent (including using specialized cables to get into specialized engineering modes or such) to undo their tampering before you can evens tart to deal with Xiaomi's additional "vanilla" device state security circus just so an update doesn't fuck you down the road when that exploit-of-the day closes and signatures of whatever you've tried to run become invalid.

I find this situation absolutely ridiculous.

Xperia X Compact

somehow download speed on my marshmallow phone is slower than on pc, what could be causing this?

>There is no "thankfully" about that.
You should be thankful for getting around a problem though. I wasn't talking about reseller methods, I was talking about classic at home commands.
Also engineering mode is only MTK, and no one should be buying that shit.

forgot to mention that they're both using the same wifi

One is on wifi and the other isn't.
I mean that's a pretty vague question lol

it's actually a laptop and it's on the same wifi

Then check your phone's hardware specs. Is your phone even capable of reaching the same speeds as your laptop?

Also, do you have an s7 by any chance?

Is the ZTE axon 7 still gud?
I remember it having superb speaker, good screen size, etc.

Bout' to get a Job and need a new phone at that price range.

I guess it makes sense that it's but I don't think it should be this bad, my laptop can finish downloading apks in seconds while my phone takes minutes to do so

So there is now Redmi Note 4 with a SD 625. Will probably buy once they have it in stock. Or is there any alternative?

Is there any way to add screens to the left side of the default one in AOSP launcher?

Well we don't know for sure if this is the case or if there is some problem you can solve.

So what phone do you have?

Waiting for the 4X or whatever or just still going with the 3Pro

From what I can tell it won't get LTE in most places out of India. There's also Redmi 4 pro and Lenovo P2 with the SD625

Xperia ZL

Has anyone gotten nougat on their Z5 yet? It's rolling out.

I'm tired of waiting, I'm currently surviving on ages old Lumia where nothing works and who knows when (or if) 4X is going out.

It will not work in Prague (which is alright, still on wi-fi anyways) but it will work in the country-side which uses the same frequency. And I don't mind anyways
>Redmi 4 Pro
I don't want smaller display.
>Lenovo
Lenovos were always horribly shitty phones, I fear them.

My sister just updated today, I'm in SEA

Odd.
Can you run some tests if possible, it's totally fine if you can't!
See if in developer options there's an 'use legacy DHCP' option. Try and see if things have improved, if not, revert the option and test the next.
Apparently other users have been stating that the ZL speeds improve when they disable 802.11n, which means you're only using b/g. So see if you can do so in your network settings.

Sorry m8 but waiting is preferable to buying something and then having a phone you might prefer better come out right after.

I've been researching replacement phones for my aging S5. So far I like what I've read and seen of the Oneplus 3T. But not sure if I should wait until the summer to see what Oneplus announce?

Does anyone have information on when Oneplus are rumoured to be announcing their next phone?

Get the Redmi Note 3 Pro then, has all the LTE bands you'll need and it's more powerful than the Note 4

The hardware is great for the price, but a lot of people complain that the OS has really stupid bugs thanks to over aggressive battery/memory management.

But it's getting a big Nougat update soon, and everyone has their fingers crossed that will fix most of the problems. If it does, it'll be a great option if you've got $400.

Also, the mini Axon 7 is on sale for around $250 now.

The 3T has really weird touch latency (or scroll latency as people are proclaiming lol), so might as well wait. I hear stock levels in multiple regions are pretty much non existent too.

Don't know about AOSP launcher but most custom launchers let you choose which page is the default one so if you make the last page the home page every page before it is on the left.

New Oneplus phone is probably coming sometime around summer. OPO and OP3 released in June, OP2 in August

Not sure if this goes here but anyway I'll ask. Im going to start driving for Uber after a long period of neetdom, I don't have a phone and im completely broke so I nailed down my choices to either an old Nexus 4 or LG Optimus G, one 35$ and the other 20$, im in a situation where every penny counts. They're actually almost the same phone. The big difference as far as im aware is one has lte and no roms and the other has no lte and many roms.

What should I get? Since the phone is going to be on my dashboard I'd say stability is a priority but don't know how bad the half baked optimus g roms are and if lte is worth the trade off.

if you want stability you really shouldn't even consider slapping a custom rom on it

Woah, this makes a lot of sense. Thanks Sup Forums.

mate 9
a
t
e

Samsung makes me want to pull my hair out.

what's a good Android phone that's waterproof and will at the bare minimum let me change the system font?

What is wrong with the camera? I was thinking of getting that thing. I was looking at some comparisons between S7 and 3T and I don't see much of a difference. Granted these aren't full res

What do you think is the all around best looking smartphone right now?

afaik LG and HTC phones allow you to change system font. But you can change the font on pretty much any android phone if you have root.

Why is it so important for you to be able to change the font though?

HTC One M7

I don't think it is possible to ask more subjective question.

it's not but it's frustrating that Samsung is such a cunt.

I set a passcode on my iphone and it worked but then today it doesn't work anymore.

Is there a way to remove the passcode so I can salvage my pictures and videos?

It is a subjective question. I'm just curious what you personally think

iphone 6 design is hot garbage

is a 64gb nexus 6p worth 325-375 USD at this point in time?

looking into upgrading from my Nexus 6

the fbi couldnt do it, why do you think anyone here can?

Mi Mix

Galaxy Nexus best of all time

iphone se

Don't do it. Get OP3T or OP3

Verizon cuck here.

What to get used under $350 diggery doos?

I'll bite then. I like minimalism and more sharp edges, so OP3, Nexus 5 and 6p and Mi Mix are my favorites. Redmi Note 4 is also a nice phone.

I'm tired of the moto g battery any other good phones with good durability/battery under 200? I want a redmi note 3 pro but not sure where to buy from. I have Cricket/AT&T

I'm on Verizon so that's not an option unfortunately

The Moto phones until 2015 or s7 not the edge one

Galaxy S7 / Note 5
iPhone 6S
Moto Z / Z Play