/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III:
Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/mTArVrSV
pastebin.com/PcjySi8Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

communist

>FREEDOM
... to work for nothing.

Free as in freedom, not beer; you're free to sell free software.

... but you're not allowed to sell modifications.

Every Android phone on the market says otherwise.

because everyone will always obey muh ganoo license

Kevin, Google has released their modifications and Google doesn't charge for Android. You're fucking stupid. Go to bed.

Its still part of a product that they sell.

You can try to argue otherwise but you know I am right. Android phones easily make up 50% of the phone market, and those products include modified Linux.

>Its still part of a product that they sell.
Google doesn't sell Android.

>You can try to argue otherwise but you know I am right.
How much does Android license cost?

>Android phones easily make up 50% of the phone market, and those products include modified Linux.
Yes, it's modified but Google doesn't sell it and they provide modifications.

Yes they do.
Its included in Pixel and Nexus devices, which are sold.

>Yes they do.
>Its included in Pixel and Nexus devices, which are sold.
They don't sell the Android, they sell you hardware that the thing is on. Android is free and open source.

What they sell is a license to use their trademark, the Android.

Still, they don't sell anything that's GPL'ed.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mis take in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

>They don't sell the Android
But they literally do, with devices that run Android, so you are wrong.

>But they literally do, with devices that run Android, so you are wrong.
Okay, how much does Android cost? Can you point me to price of it?

Pixel runs you about $650.

I don't care about hardware, I just want t buy the OS.

So don't buy it then.
Most developers will.

I just went by a bad experience. What am I supposed to do if a drive dies when it's on the fstab? I had a live image lying around on a flash drive, but given that it was Debian and I was running a Maxwell nvidia card, I had to do tedious things to finally boot of it. What the fuck would I even do without a live image?
Also, any suggestions for a live distro that supports the biggest amount of hardware?

>What the fuck would I even do without a live image?
Maybe have more than one computer.

Does lynda.com have a download limit? I was thinking about paying for a month to download a bunch of linux courses.

Any decent solution for consumer printing under linux?
It seems most printers drivers are partially supported.
Current printer can't scan files and can't print unless using the highest possible quality.

Hey guys, I'm taking a systems programming course, we are required to use linux for coding. I've never used linux other than dual booting Ubuntu just for the memes some years ago. What's a good distro? We're just going to be doing assembly so it doesn't really matter much which one I use. I mostly want something comfy, user friendly and nice looking. I was considering grabbing elementary OS but if anyone can suggest other distros I'll be thankful and glad to try them out

Elementary is fine.

Parted Magic, multiple copies.

GNU/Linux*

see

What is tmux and what is it good for?

it's like screen, a terminal multiplexer

W-what?

Is there a way to check that the system works fine after installing Ubuntu?

Some of the first updates needed verification, and there was an error (failed to install the updates).
I tried it again, and this time all the updates were installed.

Now I'd like to check if my system is ok.
Yeah, I'm a noob.

>Wayland is still in a bad state, from a security standpoint it is generally advised to use OpenBSD/MacOS/Windows currently. I find it quite astounding that GNU/Linux has become known as a secure OS when the xserver vulnerabilities have been around for 10+ years.

Is this true? I have just booted Fedora25 on a live USB and Wayland seemed okay on GNOME but I never see anyone else using it here?

I have an Asus t100 netbook/tablet convertible.
It has currently W10, Atom z3775, 2gb ram and 32gb emmc storage.

What would be a good linux distro which is faster than w10, has good battery life and will work with the touchscreen and doesn't look like W98 (xfce)?

Regarding GNU/Linux...
If I installed it to a laptop will swapping the HDD to different laptop, create issues regarding drivers/hardware?

Any distros to avoid except for default post-Amazon Ubuntu?

My experience with Elementary was terrible.
No real minimize buttons, very few packages, unstable, couldn't have more than one wallpaper.

Maybe suited for your granny who browses.

Depends. If you use a kernel you compiled yourself and removed a few drivers from it might not work. If you take your regular mint/ubuntu/debian/fedora/arch you shouldn't encounter a single problem.

Solus. Also be wary of mint and manjaro because their security isn't as good as the other distros.

>be wary of mint
Isn't it r1 choice for those who want to drop Win those days?

Manjaros security is good. It's only Mint that blocks updates.

Yeah but their website was hacked some time ago and the iso was replaced with something else. It's dangerous.
I'd recommend using debian+cinnamon/mate instead. That's almost what mint is anyway.

cracked*

The original term "hacker" was used by MIT administration to talk about people who illegally used telephone lines in order to make long-distance calls.
Nowaday, the term "hacker" is used to talk about people who make illegal use of computers.
Get over it.

Well the websited hosted the backdoored isos only some hours but then it was fixed, so that's not an issue anymore. The problem with Mint is that they have a blocklist, so packages like systemd, the kernel, dbus, etc don't get any updates.

Ah, yes, been reading about breach of feb2k16 some time ago.

A hacker is someone who enjoys playful cleverness—not necessarily with computers. The programmers in the old MIT free software community of the 60s and 70s referred to themselves as hackers. Around 1980, journalists who discovered the hacker community mistakenly took the term to mean “security breaker.”

Please don't spread this mistake. People who break security are “crackers.”

No it isn't. They let their certs expire multiple times on their websites.

>that's not an issue anymore
It is. Unless they wiped everything and did a clean install on all of their servers there's a chance they're still compromised.

website != distro

no it isn't, only for the fools who downloaded an iso at that time, retard

>Get access to website
>Copy .ssh
>Retard maintainers enabled passwordless auth
>They also sync their .ssh because why the fuck not
>Get access to all the websites the maintainer has access to.
It might still be compromised.

>very few packages
It uses Ubuntu's repository. Stop being an idiot and spreading misinformation.
I don't encourage the use of such shitty downstream distributions, but at least get your facts right.

s/websites/machines/

What's the best way to create a Recovery image/ System backup in GNU/Linux?

dd, but why not rsync

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

Should I try to "Install Gentoo"? How it reacts to hardware change? How long can it last till it gets clogged?
[spoiler]Answer for the last one is "eternity", right?[/spoiler]

Gentoo is a meme. Install Ubuntu.

I'm running Gentoo on my desktop, laptop and raspberry pi at the moment. It's not worth your while unless you find configuring your computers fun.

>I'm running Gentoo
why are you wasting precious lifetime, user?

It's fun. I enjoy making and breaking my system, although I'll admit I'm thinking about putting debian on my raspi and laptop again.

Like he said, Gentoo is fun if you simply love to compile your shit with/without the features you like/dislike. Same reason people prefer cli programs to gui or a wm+some tools to a DE.

time spend with things you love isn't wasted

>Gentoo is a meme.
I know
>Install Ubuntu.
I'd rather try debian+cinnamon as suggested.
>It's not worth your while unless you find configuring your computers fun.
Well, I gotta find something else than rotting in WoW, why not try gentoo?

If you're just looking for a way to waste time install a "normal" distro and learn a programming language you don't know. This way you'll waste time and learn useful skills (because knowing how to operate gentoo really isn't that much of a useful skill).

I can't learn something just for the sake of learning. I remember trying some meme SICP book, dropped after few chapters. Picked up some RegEx when wanted to compile a list of items and where to get them for some war3 custom map. Looking up some .lua files to fix addons on occasion.
Looked up debian, 3 DVDs, 4 GB each. Or 9 CDs, 700M each. At least, there is lightweight netinst.

Just installed debian. What the fuck am I doing wrong. Literally just pressing next, not even fucking with anything. This is the second time it happened.

At what point does that appear? Are you able to see the login screen (Display Manager)? Is it after you try to login?

Probably something wrong with X or the DE

What exactly is sitting on top of the Linux kernel? Can I write a program that runs as the sole process on the system?

I'm having trouble separating Linux from systemd and other pervasive software that can be found in distros.

After choosing debian in grub.

Both are for backing up files.
I'm looking for a way to backup OS.
Like windows recovery drive.

how do I play music on linux without unpacking it?
how do I play music just by drag-and-dropping it into player's queue without bothering with libraries and shit?

is there a native foobar2000 experience?

Do Ctrl+Alt+F1.
Try to log in. Tell us whether it worked.

Disclaimer: I don't know shit about anything so I might be wrong.

When Linux boots it looks at /etc/inittab and executes it sequentially almost as a script. Depending on what you write into this file different things will sit on top of linux.
Once linux took care of starting your init system it loads a console you can log into. This console can be replaced by a login manager that basically starts X and lets you log in.

So file systems are part of Linux -- correct? Since Linux needs it in order to read /etc/inittab.

What exactly is the "console"? I've read things like frame buffer console but to me it's just a terminal emulator. By "replace it with login manager" do you mean you take the console out or just script it to launch X?

Is there some doc I can read that describes what it does at startup and what it offloads to other processes?

I can login. Now what.

I can login, if I do startx i get the error screen again.

>So file systems are part of Linux -- correct?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. yes, Linux has to load FileSystem drivers and / first.

>What exactly is the "console"?
A console is a thing that takes input characters and displays them. It is usually used to display the content of a shell (such as bash, zsh, fish...). The console I was talking about is a very barebones console. The program it runs is usually a barebones login manager, you should be able to see it by doing CTRL+ALT+F1/F2/F3... . You can go back to your graphical session by pressing CTRL+ALT+F7.
Once you log into the tty (a TTY is the thing you display by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1/F2/F3...F7), a shell (bash, zsh, ksh...) is started by the login manager. You can then type "startx" and the X graphics server will "hijack" the display and replace it with a graphical session. If you kill X (with kill -9 for example), you will be brought back to the shell.
Some people chose to replace the barebones login manager by a graphical login manager (they usually do this by changing something in /etc/inittab).
I don't know anything you could read about all of that, sorry.
Try "man init", but I doubt you'll learn much from it.

Do you have a ".xinitrc" file in your home directory? If yes, please show it to us.
If you don't, try creating one and writing "xterm" inside it. Tell us what happens.

Hey, I have a problem with my external monitor.

I'm using i3 on my Thinkpad T420 (1366x768), and I'd like to connect it to my 1920x1080 external monitor, and then use it with the lid closed.

Problem : the external monitor isn't automatically set to 1920x1080, although xrandr recognizes it (as you can see at the bottom right of pic related). But it is displayed correctly in 1366x768, I have no other issues.

Top right of pic related is the script I'm using to recognize the external monitor, it has execution permission, and is activated by my i3 config file as you can see on the left side of the picture (last line).

Should I add something to that script so it sets my external monitor's resolution to 1920x1080 ?

Yeah, add something like --mode 1920x1080 to the xrandr command. Use arandr if you need a very minimalist and lightweight GUI.

Anyone encountered any problems installing debian from netinst?

>been using arch + i3 for a year
>decided to install a "just werks" distro with my new computer so I don't have to fiddle with config files

>try fedora
>super laggy
>tried to install one of those """approved""" program froms the package manager
>forever pending
>can't install mpv

>try debian
>it crashed during the installation
>it fucking crashed during the installation

Went right back to Arch after this. Never in my linux life something crashed in front of me. What's the point of those "just werks" distro if they really don't work out of the box and you have to fiddle with config files? Now I unsterstand why the common user hates Linux, it fucking sucks.

me atm

Never did. What's the issue?

No issues yet, just planning on installing debian and it's either netinst or gigabytes of burning distro on disks

Yeah, if you feel like you're up to it (it's not complicated but it can be scary) you should really do a netinstall instead of a traditional install.

It's working, thanks

There is no .xinitrc file. I don't know if I'm doing this right, I started nano, typed in xterm and saved it as .xinitrc. I rebooted but I still get the error

Try switching to another tty, loggin in and typing "startx".

I want to install Linux on an SSD in such a way that the OS i want to boot can be selected only in BIOS(I don't want my PC to prompt me every time I boot in the dual boot menu). Will I achieve this by disconnecting my harddrive, connecting an SSD, installing Linux on it, and then reconnecting the harddrive back?

I have a problem on Ubuntu since I installed 16.04. I have amdgpu and every time I boot, X goes into low memory mode, I have to reboot again and then it's all normal.

I switched kernels a bunch of times with no success. Earlier I also needed to reinstall GDM to make the problem go away, now it just works after rebooting and nothing else is needed. I also tried switching DE and WM with no success.

I have no idea how to fix this and Ubuntu forums didn't help either.

pastebin.com/mTArVrSV

pls

Most probably. That's what I did with my desktop.

Name of the GPU? How did you install the amd drivers?

I get a small white square terminal in the top left corner, that doesn't do anything and i cant type into it.

First lines on the pastebin:

>GraphicsCard:
> Intel Corporation HD Graphics 5500 [8086:1616] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: Dell Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics [1028:0643]
> Subsystem: Dell Radeon R7 M260/M265 [1028:0643]

The drivers are the default open-source package that comes with Ubuntu. I couldn't find any others. The old Catalyst drivers don't work anymore since 14.x

So you're saying it actually works? Good man.

I also can't go into standby mode, completely freezes everything, not even the keyboard survives.

One of the kernels would let me go into standby, but I had to reinstall GDM before every boot. I can't even

Why don't you configure your bootloader to not prompt you then? Or wait only 2-3 seconds before loading default chosen system?

Alright, the problem probably comes from your current DE which didn't finish installing properly. Switch to another tty. Login in. Delete the .xinitrc file. Do sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove $NAMEOFYOURDESKTOPENVIRONMENT. Then try installing it again by doing sudo apt-get install $NAMEOFYOURDESKTOPENVIRONMENT

Yup. Like a charm.

Ah, sorry, didn't bother checking the pastebin link. You seem to be encountering a fuckload of issues. What's the output of dmesg?

Uhh what happened with my font? I rebooted and got this.

Okay so I needed a Linux distro so I could legally edit video for the place i work at and it proved to be a nightmare installing any linux on my desktop, courtesy of my GTX 970. I have got Ubuntu Studio working somewhat after everything else failed, but I do have two problems.

1. How can I make it recognize my USB Sound Blaster card every time? Sometimes it lists it as an audio device at boot and sometimes not, it does however recognize the knob everytime and I can adjust the volume levels. Can't play anything through it tho.

2. Every time I scroll thrugh anything the bottom of the screen gets tearing. Installing Compton and adjusting the XFCE compositing did not help.

Any ideas?

Where can I look what perl -E does? The manpage doesn't show it.

A few relevant lines on dmesg:
>[ powerplay ] VBIOS did not find boot engine clock value in dependency table. Using Memory DPM level 0!
>[drm] Initialized amdgpu 3.8.0 20150101 for 0000:04:00.0 on minor 1

The rest is here but I can't see anything relevant pastebin.com/PcjySi8Y