/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

hardenedlinux.org/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html
tylercipriani.com/blog/2016/11/13/coreboot-on-the-thinkpad-x220-with-a-raspberry-pi/
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
ebay.com/itm/122316133757?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
lmgtfy.com/?q=clean thinkpad
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's the right way to adjust the clitmouse speed under Ubuntu?

> inb4 installgentoo

Should I get the T61? why or why not? Specs doesn't matter as long as I can upgrade them

>Thinkpad T400 died
what should I get now?

should i buy a T460?

Is there any way to disable the splash screen when you boot up a T420? I want a 5 second boot time

iirc you can disable the extensive memory testing

It can run Sierrra, i just have no reason to upgrade.

insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/

It's not the spash screen which takes time. I'ts the whole POST that takes time.

POST takes longer if you've got memoy test enabled, but there's always some tests or processing that are being run that you can't disable. You'll simply not get 5 second boot time on a T420.

My T420 optic drive have died.
I have an extra optic drive from an old HP pavilion DV6.
Will it work? Is there any way to swap the tray cover?

what do lads? this just happened to my X230 and fucked both batteries. no idea how could it happen.

since the plastic spacer thing fell off i just filled the gap designed for it with paper (on battery side) so pin is not bent anymore.

what purpose does it serve (the plastic pin)?

bend it back with flathead screwdriver it shoudl work fine

does the plastic part serve any other purpose than preventing from putting in the wrong way?

most likeli not you can still glue the pice back if you have it

If I buy a x230 that does not have a fingerprint reader, would it even be possible to install one?

Currently looking at this one.

Thinkpad t420
yay or nay?

Does all thinkpad have an easy harddrive switching system?

Yes, great machine.

Make sure you get the FHD IPS panel though.

Yes, usually is a panel on the side with only a screw to remove.

Thanks
That shit is awesome.

Currently yay.
You can even install coreboot, and unlock up to 5th gen CPU.

I need something with really good battery life. Currently my x230 with a 9cell is not cutting it for school.

buy a new bat.

Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

5th gen CPU how ?

With coreboot as I said.

will a t400 battery will work on a t420?

Yes, you just need to get a palm rest with one and install the drivers.

I'm waiting for a t430s, and have a 250gb ssd waiting for it, since I fit into 250gb I'm not sure if i'd get a ultrabay hdd adapter... The other thing I consider is the ultrabay battery, how much time does it give ? should I trust chink batteries? I don't use optical drive either, anything other I should consider ?

there are no chink ultrabay batteries.
Also it's just a 3cell one, so expect combined battery life of 9cell t430

thank you

>t420
>blaze it

Is there a way to install libreboot instead of coreboot on my t420?

I actually would never trust chink batteries, because batteries. I don't have any experience with it, just a gut feel.

What batteries aren't made by chink?

Official ones are only assembled in China, the cells are from the nips

"chink stuff" for me is the shit you get from aliexpress

Nope.

You need firmware blobs that have no open source substitute.

As far as i know, libreboot is just a more purist coreboot, as freedom as openness is concerned.

If you are worried about the Intel ME abuse, I remember a post, somewhere, from a guy stating that he actually deactivated Intel ME on a x220. I think he didn't do a 5th swap tho.

While you're at it, install the old style keyboard.

I would, and I want to, but I heard that even after you everything correctly, some keys don't work.

> I remember a post, somewhere
Sup Forums? Which board? Any more hints so that I can find it?

No, it was his own blog. Lemme look for it, just a sec.

>mfw I'm on the servers room waiting for a 3D printer to finish, in a Friday, at 8pm. And got nothing better to do.

, here.

99% sure it was this one:

hardenedlinux.org/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html

but in the search, I also got this, that may be useful.

tylercipriani.com/blog/2016/11/13/coreboot-on-the-thinkpad-x220-with-a-raspberry-pi/

thanks, seems pretty helpful!

Idk mine broke off years ago. No issues

With the ultrabay expect a little bit less than a reg t430. Slim series thinkpads tend to have pretty bad battery life.

You got my attention. Can you put ANY of the 5th generation, or just a few?

How do you clean the nipple? Mine is full of gamer gunk.

just remove it.

he's gotta be misreading something. i haven't read anywhere about coreboot allowing the t420 to use anything beyond ivy bridge

It's stuck in between the mini nipples

Is it worthwhile to upgrade to the IPS panel from the regular shitty TN of the X230? I recently bought a A-grade X230 and the only issue I have with it is the shit viewing angle, since I'm used to IPS on my desktop monitors. I would have probably bought a X230 with IPS, but for the past few months I couldn't find one on the market in my country.

You can fix that with a bios patch, afterwards only the battery and hibernate buttons don't work. This is exactly what I'm doing when I get home.

Could you make a video of it please?
There's videos about everything relating Thinkpads, except replacing keyboards for older model ones (and patching the bios).

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
In using this page, it goes into depth and provides sources

Yeah. I do have that page saved for when i do it.
A video would help out even more though.

Should I get a t430s or an x230? Am I right in thinking the t430s can run an egpu?

How to find decent 1600x900 screen for T420 on aliexpress?

>decent
>aliexpress

Yeah, I guess I could do a vid. Haven't ever done a vid before, is YouTube fine? This thread will probably die before I get it done, how do you want me to get it to you?

Yeah, Youtube is fine.
If the thread dies, you can always link it in the next or so on. I'm always around.
Thanks, man.

If I would replace the fan of my x200 with a solid block of copper, would it die?
It would be extremely useful to have a silent Thinkpad.

What's currently the best used thinkpad for the money?

Need something to replace my 7 yearold MBP.

All i ask for is that it has a dedicated gpu.

Does anyone know how these spacers (which are missing from my X220t) are called, and if they can be bought separately?

A solid block of copper has significantly worse thermals than the finned copper which is regularly installed

rubber bezel feet

t420 without dedicated gpu

Is this a good deal?

ebay.com/itm/122316133757?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Does it make sense to pick up a used X1 Carbon for 400$ - apparently in mint condition.

This button squeaks on my T60 what do

clean it

but how

by cleaning it

but how

lmgtfy.com/?q=clean thinkpad

My chromebooks battery died and to replace it would cost almost as much as buying it again. Instead I've been looking at thinkpads.

Looking for something that is portable with good battery life comparable to the chromebook, preferably around 8 hours of light usage (pdf / powerpoint viewing in class and light web browsing). Will also be using it around the house/couch for light gaming, probably using steam in home streaming though. Is AC wireless a possbility without a dongle?

I checked out a y410p and the only thing putting me off was the 1600*900 res.

Does an X230 do they come with touchscreen options stock?

I have two gen1 Helix tablets with broken backlights, one of which also has a rattling fan, and one with a shattered mousepad as well as two missing rubber feet.
How can I go about fixing all this?

The last one doesn't matter too much since it's still usable.

hey, /tpg/, anybody with a T440p? I'm a gentoo user and I've got a problem with its dGPU, - there's no fucking way to make it work. If I use the proprietary drivers - GLX refuses to function; while, with the FOSS ones - everything freezes immediately after it powers up.

Aw man, I was just thinking of getting a T420, and make a monster out of it...

This somewhat concerns you, people.

Libretards out there! Which FSF distros do you pick?

Self Bump, need to know ASAP

seems to be

Which Lenovo, or Lenovo Thinkpad, is this?

Thx

Aside from the screen size, what are the other differences between a T420 and an X220?

x series has soldered cpu

Just got an x220 w/o battery. Can someone recommend a good battery (good price compared to life)?

Any thinkpads you can throw a non-sata SSD in? I know nothing about M.2 and the like.

I have a Precision D620 I got working and I found that even limited to SATA I speeds, Windows 10 runs pretty well from an SSD even though it was a Windows XP machine

I want to sell the laptop but first, is there a cheap way to get a legit Windows 10 license for it? The laptop only has an XP sticker on the bottom

Whoops, meant Latitude D620

>wanting windows 10 at all

bump still looking for a good one.

Also, my x220 doesn't have a fingerprint scanner. Did I get ripped? $100, 4gb ram with docking station, no battery (figured it didn't matter since battery prob would be shit anyway)

Hey Sup Forums !!! Need some help...
I bought my first Thinkpad, its a R51. The thing is, dont have internet and audio, the led of wifi how supoust to blinks, dosent blink, and the leds when i connect ethernet neither.
I cant listen a shit to.

I downloaded the drivers, noup.
Install Thinkvantage acces connections.

Dont know what to do.

I try with a USB modem and works, but i dont wanna buy this shit.

(sorry english)

Just finished setting up my new t430. Honestly i dont get why people dislike the keyboard its not bad. The display sucks compared to my desktop but not nearly as bad as i was expecting with what ive read on here. Overall it works pretty much flawlessly with Debian. Installed Kali and did about a years worth of rolling updates and no issues. thanks tpg

t430/x230 are master race. but i had to get an x220 because cheap

The keyboard is great. It feels a lot more sturdy than the T420 and the switches are much better. The only issue people have is the layout.

ideapad avoid it

X220: "Maximum DDR3 speed depends on the BIOS version. BIOS versions up to 1.28 allow RAM speeds up to 1866MHz. BIOS versions 1.29 and above limit RAM to 1333MHz. Modified versions of BIOS available that remove this limitation."

i5-2520M on Intel page states 1333MHz max. What's the deal with that? Is it only i7's or something?

I personally don't think it's worth worrying about. You will NEVER notice a difference with RAM speeds outside of benchmarks.

Not quite.

The one case where it matters is making integrated graphics faster.

If that's your goal you're better off getting an X230, which not only has a faster iGPU but also allows even higher ram speeds WITHOUT bios modifications.