I got this headphone amp (I realize there are headphones amps out there specifically for use with guitars and I may...

I got this headphone amp (I realize there are headphones amps out there specifically for use with guitars and I may have been better off getting one of those, but I knew of this amp already and planned on using it as a regular headphone amp as well) for use with my bass.

When I plug everything in though, there's no sound through my headphones. I've googled the problem and the results are either talking about guitar specific headphones amps or just people saying they've done it and it works without any more details.

Is there something I could be doing wrong or is this just not going to work?

Other urls found in this thread:

head-fi.org/t/600962/using-headphone-amps-to-amp-an-electric-guitar
dummies.com/art-center/music/guitar/how-to-amplify-an-electric-guitar-without-an-amp/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is forbidden dark magic, back away

So let me see if I understand. You're running your bass into a DAC and trying to hear the sound through headphones?

Can you take a picture of your actual setup?

TLDR; how do i headphone amp with bass??

It's a dac and amp

are the pickups of your bass active or passive ?

There's no power going to the bass therefore the pickups aren't gonna pick up any signal because there is none. You need power running to the guitar through the instrument cable. Which means no DAC. Most small practice amps have a headphone out line for things like this. Just be careful with throughput to not accidentally ruin any part of your setup.

According to the product description, the only input on this thing is the usb, so you can't use it to amplify a guitar signal directly. You might be able to do this by plugging your guitar in the mic input on your pc and then output the sound through the DAC to a speaker

if you can output it to a speaker you can to headphobes right?

Is there a way to know this without going into the electronics?

Should a headphone amp with no usb connection powered by a wall outlet work?

>is there a way to know this without going into the electronics
You must be at least 18 years old to post here.

Do bass guitars usually have active pickups?

The bass guitar outputs at instrument line level. You need something that will boost it to regular line level, aka a preamp of some sorts. A regular headphone amp won't work.

wall outlet + bass guitar>>magni2 amp>>headphones

Using this cable to connect guitar to back

will this werk?

I've seen references to people doing it on head fi
head-fi.org/t/600962/using-headphone-amps-to-amp-an-electric-guitar

also this shit implies its possible
dummies.com/art-center/music/guitar/how-to-amplify-an-electric-guitar-without-an-amp/

have i been tricked?

Hell if I know, I've never ghetto rigged a guitar through speakers. Just go buy a shit amp for 20 bucks at a pawn shop and plug headphones into that.

Fucking wizardry, generally I'd expect there to be outgoing electric powermajingy from the Amp line-in to Guitar, never really expected headphone amps to output enough power for that though.

As I wrote this I remebered that you can plug in a bass/guitar through one of the line6 pod thingies and then directly to headphones, but as far as I remember those come with 9v cables

u need something like this if you wanna hear yourself, don't be a beta

I have a regular amp, but I live in an apartment and I want to play at night sometimes

Doesn't your regular amp have a line-out?

since this is technology, get a cheap USB audio interface and pirate Amplitube. If you're a lincuck you'll have to use guitarix or rakararrak, still pretty good but Amplitube is god tier

i

Most amps have a headphone/line out. That'll be your best bet. Or get some software like the other user said.

I'd recommend getting a cheap multi effects pedal for what you're trying to do. Headphones out from the multi effects, and you get some more tone options for your headphones.

Just a pedal will make it output audio into headphones

Ok I'll try the amp instead, thanks for the advice, I liked the portable aspect of the headphone amp for travel purposes but I'll probably just buy a specialized one if I really want to

on a side note, I read on some forums that people also recommend small mixers for this use, but I don't see how that would power the guitar either. Is there any legitimacy to this?

Nice bass user

A mixer going to software on your PC could do it, but the only way to have headphones work with the mixer is to have a line out of the amp to the board. Straight guitar to mixer wouldn't work.

>There's no power going to the bass therefore the pickups aren't gonna pick up any signal because there is none.

This is dead wrong. Power does NOT go from the amp to the guitar.

The pickup is a transducer. It converts the vibration of the string into a weak electric signal that requires proper amplification so that the signal can be converted back into vibration in the speaker. The signal produced by the pickup is about 1 watt, which is really weak.

Active pickups allow for preamplification onboard the guitar. Some bass players like having this control and might even think it sounds better. I've had both, and honestly it just depends on the guitar. I've never wished that my J-Bass had an active pickup.

So are you saying using a headphone amp to play into headphones should be possible?

This is correct. For OP's issue one thing came to my mind: is your 6.3->3.5mm adapter mono or stereo? The box could contain some intelligence to switch on only if a stereo plug is connected.

OP you stupid cunt. There's only one input and it's an USB one. So it's not a headphone amp but a DAC, you cannot input analog signal.

i did my ezpz setup with a cheap behringer mixer that had a headphone amp in it so it should be the same

bass > amp > headphones

yes. I can plug my headphones straight into my bass and get sound that way. doesn't sound very good but it's good in a bind.

if I drive all the EQ bands up it's plenty loud too.

I have this and it works great. Just plug in headphones, and you're good to go! Search for vox bass amplug. It's only around $30.

Get a line6 pod and be done. End thread.

Have you tried turning the volume up to max on the guitar and the amp? The signal strength on guitars is really weak unless you have active pickups.

I used to plug my strat into my Bravo v3 amp when I wanted to play silently. It sounded like shit though. I eventually just gave up and started playing unamplified.

>line6

I can't remember the last time I saw Sup Forums be so helpful, good job OP

Line 6 pods are okay. Everything else they sell is shit. I wouldn't get a pod entirely because it says line 6 on it though lol.

To further this, you would have a lot more fun OP if you plugged the DAC into the computer and used amplitube on the computer to emulate bass heads / cabs.

Since the 1970's when high end guitar companies like Alembic and MusicMan came around. They give more of a hi-fi sound that I don't care for.

yeah I've tried with the volume maxed, it's just not going to work with this amp, I'm assuming at this point that's since it's a DAC/amp powered through USB even though otherwise it's a standard headphone amp with the proper line in and line out for hooking up to the bass

I was considering this one before going with the FiiO amp thinking it would be better quality and more useful since I could use it for its standard purpose as well. The AKG k550s are pretty quiet. I'll end up getting either the vox or pic related

trying the pc route and downloading amplitude now

>(You)
>trying the pc route and downloading amplitude now

I don't know much about your particular hardware, but if it doesn't work as an audio interface, you could use it to amplify headphones. Hopefully your computers audio card would work with amplitube. It is a very hardware intensive program, be warned. You will also most likely have to play with the audio settings in Amplitube to adjust latency so you don't have a delay on your input. Also, when I practice with only amplitube, I mute the monitoring of my input signal as I don't want to hear any of my clean signal mixing in with amplitube.

This picture makes my head hurt.

First of all, you plugged your bass into a line-out port. Line-out means it only outputs audio. You cannot expect a line-out port to accept a signal as an input.

Second of all, as others have mentioned, what you have there is a Fiio E10K, a combination digital to analog converter and headphone amp. It accepts a digital input from the USB port, converts it to an analog signal, and then outputs it through either the line-out port or the headphone port. So just attaching the USB port to a wall plug isn't doing anything.

>First of all, you plugged your bass into a line-out port
I realized this and that the whole set up is fucked, there's only the headphone input, a line out, and a coaxial out, and I didn't notice at first that the latter two were outputs, or that DAC/ headphone amp means it functions acting as a DAC and not one or the other.

>attaching the USB port to a wall plug isn't doing anything
yeah doing that was pretty dumb I'm surprised no one else called that out

I see know I purchased the worst possible type of amp for this purpose, but I needed a headphone amp for my pc anyway