Average computer user here. I finally understand why Sup Forums hates windows first hand

Average computer user here. I finally understand why Sup Forums hates windows first hand.

I lost all my employee clock-in/out data for today.
I have decided to migrate our roster system to GNU/Linux.

Should we call Redhat or SUSE for our solution? I am sick and tired of our system _crashing_ and _rebooting_ every month.

Other urls found in this thread:

marksimonson.com/fonts/view/anonymous-pro
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>employee data
>work server
Why were you using Windows in the first place?

Redhat and Fedora are excellent choices.

Call the Arch or Gentoo forums.

fedora

Wait. So you're using a consumer piece of hardware with a consumer OS in an enterprise setting.

You fucking asked for it.

My boss(es) set it up but. It was running windows 7 last year.

We came to work to see it upgraded itself. Thankfully no data were lost. (on that occasion).

>Lost all employee clock-in/out data from one 24 hour period
>catastrophe

fucking kys, this really isn't that big of a deal.

>install gen2

If you lost all your of data on Windows, a simple system that just werks, who is to say you won't lose it all again on a Linuxed based OS?

I think you may just be incompetent.

redhat == stability
fedora == new features

Linux upgrades itself without explicit permission? Y/N

Does it run without reboot forever? Y/N

Does it have less exploits? Y/N

rekt

Red Hat if you're American, SUSE if in Europe

>Windows, a simple system that just werks (against your interests)
ftfy mate

Why don't you just restore from backup

You're using a desktop OS and probably some budget $300 PC to "host" all your employee information?

Go back to using Windows 7

>wage slaves have to be subservient to a clock
Daily reminder that if you're not on a salary then you're job a shit
A shiiiiitttttt

Are you nuts? Where is your guarantee that a Linux system will fix your problems?

That said keep the windows, and TRY Linux for a while.

Don't act out of frustration - then again it's hard not to with linux.

let me guess your timekeeping system is an excel spreadsheet with macros someone wrote for you 20 years ago?

You don't have a non-Windows standalone system? And you're using what looks like consumer-grade hardware?

Good lord...

My position is salary and our hours fluctuate, so some weeks we do 20 hours, others 50+, but it balances out and the work is all from home so who fucking cares.

But then we had some people whining about overtime and wanted to go hourly, not realizing that we work with different clients every hour and they would need to clock into a different client every time they needed to work on something else, and they would have to sign time cards, and they would need to consistently hit their 40 hours every week or lose money.

Fucking retards. Just work salary and do whatever the fuck you want. As long as the work is done nobody cares.

Call up Red Hat. Nice thing about Linux is that it won't do anything you don't want it to do so if you want it to run every day without rebooting, it'll do just that without any issue.

Also LOL at the people defending W10 and attacking OP ITT. Windows is only good for video games, for actual work, you want Linux.

>Redhat or SUSE
call both and choose the one that gives you more for your money

you can try CentOS for a bit of testing since it's 99% RHEL and it's free

Hey Gerard, care posting the name of that monospace font?

>too dumb for windows
i kekd

Whichever company offers you more bang for your buck.

Even Canonical has an offert for businesses, look up Ubuntu Advantage.

marksimonson.com/fonts/view/anonymous-pro

>tfw too intelligent for Linux

Yeah, go and tell us how intelligent you are for using Windows :^)

i can do what OP needs in any OS while your botnet default redhat install is busy working hard making russia great again

Stop posting, you're lowering the IQ of everyone who reads your drivel.

Thanks Gerard.

OP, I know Redhat seems like the "serius bidness" choice, but just go with fucking Ubuntu. Only faggots use Redhat or Fedora any more.

ubuntu. it's a safe distro for starters.

How exactly was it the Operating Systems fault?
Did the OS decide to delete random files or was it the program that you use to save employees clock in/out settings

>fedora
>server
>having to upgrade whole system every three months or so

Why such a complicated and untrustworthy piece of hardware for a simple task? How many employees do you have that you require a computer to handle it?

A simple timestamp clock will work ten times bette.

>don't know how to use group policies
>blames it on windows
why not just neck yourself

>Just work salary and do whatever the fuck you want.

That truly depends on how much yall are getting paid. A lot of companies use salary rules as an excuse to simply not pay overtime. So even if it doesn't make sense for you to be on salary it may for Mary Ann and Joe Blow.

See Fuck your group policy, I have a job and I don't have time for your autism minesweeper game

If you don't even have time for that, you should be using a Mac.

>group policy
>autism minesweeper game

>Should we call Redhat or SUSE for our solution?
good choices if you need commercial support

if you don't need official support, then just go with debian (stable) or centos (rhel without the branding or official support)

We need official support because we want to port the whole roster/payment server to native Linux. They probably have to make an UI client for us so people can log in/out easily.

I think I will call SUSE but I understand that Sup Forums thinks Red Hat is a good choice too.

both will do the job just fine
if i were you i'd just compare the support options and prices and decide based on that

Install gentoo

*tips red hat*

Both Red Hat and SUSE provide enterprise support, if you're based in America Red Hat will probably be better as they are an American company, but you could just call both and see what they offer.

I'm in Australia

You probably don't understand how SUSE or Red Hat work, they will give support on running their linux distribution on a certified list of hardware and for making sure your linux program runs stable on it. But they wont make a program or port your existing one to linux, you would need to hire a specialized developer company for that.

Making an UI client and linking it to a database is easy.

I'll just freelance that shit

HOLY FUCK
>Oracle Linux

Found my niggas. Thanks gee

You do know Windows 10 is illegal to host legally protected data like employee timekeeping on right?
Use 7

We were running on 7, but it upgraded itself.

Anyways, we'll contact oracle for our solution and migrate our system to oracle Linux.

They will be able to open a new database for us as well, just what we need

>We were running on 7, but it upgraded itself.
You where running the wrong version of 7 then, our enterprise 7 never had update notifications

>Should we call Redhat or SUSE for our solution?
>our solution
I hate these meme business terms

but y

solution is a great term to use though
I always use it when comparing free software to closed source software and avoid using the term "alternative". Simply because it's an "alternative" it gives a negative connotation to the user that is is merely that, an alternative instead of it perhaps being a better piece of software for their needs.

>windows 7
>server
You're kinda dumb, aren't you?

If your data is critical, you have an actual server with some level of redundancy, even if it's just a pair of spindles in a mirror.

Also, 2012 R2 / 2016 don't have this problem.