Wrrrrrrrrrrrr

wrrrrrrrrrrrr

BRRRRRRRRRTT

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4aTagDSnclk
geeks3d.com/20100504/tutorial-graphics-cards-voltage-regulator-modules-vrm-explained/
youtu.be/T7HsXHqtxrI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My 1080 strix is pretty silent desu sen paaaaiiiiiiiiiiiii

>kamehamehaa :^)

The fans are silent but what about the whine

maybe he's part of the 99% of owners who didn't get a defective card

What coilwhine...

Like literally, there is no coilwhine.
and i upgraded from a 970... the coilwhine card.

Name 1 (one) graphics card that does not have coil whine

970 probably damaged your high frequency hearing

My old 550ti and my gtx 1080

and i got interested thanks to this topic.

ran furmark.
i hear no whine...

Coil whine is completely up to chance. Some cards have it some don't. Some designs are more partial to it than others though. However it's also up to chance how loud it is and what frequency i gives off, well sort of anyway. The inductance of the coil does play a bit of a role.

I have a Sapphire Fury Nitro, for example, and that card seems to have a bad rep for coil whine albeit at a low hum/buzz. I could hear it with my head next to it with the side panel off but can't hear it over case fans otherwise.

guys please assure me that the Asus Rog Strix I ordered will not have coil whine

Please I just need to be validated

Tell me it won't have coil whine

I got the ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 AURA variant...

i havent overclocked the card cause no need... and furmark with high fps gave me no whine..

just now tested Reflex menu aswell @ 1000fps
which used to give me crazy whine on my 970...
still nothing.. you're safe if you got the Aura one..

I got the factory overclocked version, hope that's the best one

post P/N

> > > /s4s/

I just told you it's up to chance friendio. Contrary to popular belief, coil whine does not stem souly from low quality components, it's just the magnetic fields being produced falling within the range of human hearing.

You can actually make a power supply transformer produce music under the right circumstances.

someone humor me and tell me what he meant

He meant > > > [s4s]

At least now I know I'm not the only one that wants that Nagatoro game

frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

>tfw every single card I buy has coil whine

JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP

Is there anyway to get rid of the coil whine? Why can't they invent a device that attaches to the card and reduces noise?

youtube.com/watch?v=4aTagDSnclk

I believe the noise comes from inside the chip.

Frame limiter usually works pretty well. Whine appears when the caps are charging, and discharging so rapidly the vrms are going full blast. You don't need 3000fps anyway, just limit it to whatever you think your fps will top out at.

Does it count if my 290triX gets whine at 600+fps?

*sniffs*
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Someone explain this to me.

Strix fags are the kings of "works on my machine"

>ordered it like 2 days ago
>still isn't shipped

Thanks Amazon

Stop talking out of your ass that's not how it works at all.

Modern video cards use pulse width modulation, or PWM, which is just a fancy way of saying "it turns the power on and of a shit load of times really fast to improve efficiency." A micro controller monitors voltage level and current draw (and sometimes temperature) and hammers on a transistor, usually a MOSFET, a few hundred thousand times a second to imitate a sinusoildal waveform without the need for pesky biasing networks that just sit around turning power into heat when idle.

The inherent downside is PWM signals are noisy as fuck by nature and made worse by being sensitive to surrounding EMF. To turn it into something smoother we use a combination of caps and chokes aka coils. Caps suck up charge on high going waves and spit it out on low going waves, effectively "smoothing" the current. They can also be used for decoupling by sinking transients of a certain frequency range to ground.

Chokes on the otherhand turn high frequency voltage and turn it into a magnetic field. It's how we make electromagnets and speakers.

Coil whine occurs when the incoming voltage frequency meets with the inductance value of the choke in such a way that produces fields within the range of human hearing.

VRM, short for voltage regulator module, is a misnomer as we haven't used them in video cards in ages. VRM's are like glorified BJT transistors, somewhere short of an opamp, that just try to maintain a reference voltage by increasing good old resistance. we call a package of everything needed for PWM regulation "VRM" out of habit, and the MOSFET's are misidentified as such because the packaging is similar.

You're right about one thing though, higher framerates do tend to produce more coil noise and usually limiting it will help.

this, I don't think I've heard the fans on my 1070 strix turn on yet ever since I got it

>Modern video cards use pulse width modulation
stopped reading right there

back to google you go

BRAAAAAAPT

>in a multiphase VRM, each MOSFET (actually there are two MOSFETs per phase) is driven by a PWM signal generated by the voltage controller. The PWM command signal drives the opening and closing of these power MOSFETs.

geeks3d.com/20100504/tutorial-graphics-cards-voltage-regulator-modules-vrm-explained/

Oh look what I found when I did just that you fucking idiot.

So in other words, there's no way to get rid of coil whine?

their buttholes probably reek of rotten beef and corn.

xfx fanless rx460, my old 5450, lots of cards.

You didn't even write that, quit getting cocky about some pedantic detail that triggers your autism

If my ASUS card has coil whine, I can just send it back and they'll give me a new one?

I read somewhere that Gigabyte cards don't see this is a problem and you're not allowed to send it back for coil whine alone.

i had two gigabyte g1's 980's that screeched obnoxiously. luckily i i still had my thirty day window. coil whine isn't a defect but extremely annoying if its obnoxious levels which is all up to what the individual considers obnoxious.

My EVGA FTW 1080 doesn't whine even at high frame rates but it effectively makes my room 5 degrees warmer if I play something intensive for more than 2 hours

Games suck. I got me 1080 but no games besides ps2 emulation what is new and not shit. Love MP games

no

Vermintide runs like a dream at 120 fps with my 1080. Pretty fun L4D clone.

You can also try out Battlefield 1 of you like FPS. Also a fantastic looking game

I've been testing the strix lineup (GTX 960, 1060, 1070, and rx 480 currently) and have heard coilwhine only on the 1060 and rx 480. the 960 variant has coil whine, but it's hardly audible once in a case, and the 1070 running DOOM @1440p 60fps nightmare settings aslo had the same thing. Btw these cards were all tested using the factory overclock.

I'm currently using the rx 480 @ 1400MHz

>Coil whine isn't a defect

Which means the noise doesn't mean anything is wrong with the card?

youtu.be/T7HsXHqtxrI

just to clarify, the GTX 960 was the quiet one, then the 1070, then the 1060 being audible, and the 480 being the loudest of them all... it CAN scream... but I tamed it c:

my tri-x 280x didnt have any coil whine
shame it fucking burst into flames, only gpu i ever owned that didnt whine

I'm getting the 1070 soon

I pray to Jesus AND Buddha that it doesn't have coil whine

You would think that in the year 2017 they would have come up with something that gets rid of coil whine

trust me, resonating electronics are very difficult to address. I even had coil whine on some of my DJ equip like my amps and compressors

Forgive me for trying to give insight into something technology related on a technology board. Especially in a way that not only answers OP's question, but also gives a thorough explanation of a basic power delivery circuit.

I'm also sorry you're such a stupid piece of shit you tried to mark capacitors as the soucre of COIL whine and got your feelings hurt when I called you out on it.

Alright smart guy. Tell me how to eliminate coil whine.

You don't smarty pants. It exists and is common for a reason, it's just one of those shitty things that happens. Every device using chokes in noisy situations has the potential to produce coil noise.

I said it's basically up to chance earlier for a reason.

have a 1070 strix, no whine here. didn't even know it was a known potential issue. good to be aware of in case anyone i recommend buys similar experiences it though.

>asus

What's wrong with Asus?

A lot of people such as this enjoy their products.

>BRRRRRRRRRTT

You rang?

wrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRR

BBBBBBBBBFFFFFFFFFBRRRRRRRRRRTT

My HIS 4670 doesn't. You can see the coils in the inductors, and they're filled with a hot glue like substance.

>ran furmark.
>i hear no whine...

Yeah, that's because It's more apparent under small loads, where the core voltage is still high, but the power (and thus current) load is low.

HOTGLUE ALL THE INDUCTORS

I have a 969 strix myself, tested at idle and under load showed no whine, then this morning I ran halo 1, it ran at 3500+ FPS and the card whined like crazy