/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com.au/itm/Bass-Plus-Velvet-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-Philips-Fidelio-X2-Headphones-/261967950938
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why do these treads exist?
Its all the same just the get cheapest one

>poorfags

>Budget
50-150

>Location
US

>Source
Phone, laptop, desktop

>Type of headphone
IEM

>Comfort level
would be nice if I could lie down with them in. Wrap-around-the-ear would also be nice

>Sound signature
the bassy or warm side would be nice. I listen to mostly hiphop

For the most part I want some super durable IEMs. I abuse mine like a motherfucker.

>Everyone's budget and preferences are the same as mine
>Audio is completely objective, and value for the bottom dollar is all that matters

Mmmnope

What microphone should I get for around 20-30$? I want something that can just sit on my desk, so I don't have to clip anything on. I will only be using it for voice chat so i don't need anything too fancy

just got the pxc-550's, wondering if anyone can help me find some better pads to replace the faux leather pads that come with it. Can anyone help? Are Velour pads a meme or are they really good?

one user said those look like they could get some HM5 pads preferably u-angled

Pic related is them

for reference I currently have the IM50s because I was recommended them for durability a couple years ago.

One earbud isn't working and the cable is all mangled. A replacement cable seems to be about 30 at minimum, but they're 50 new now anyway

Id like to avoid this

Does anybody here own the HE560 and a little dot mkII and can comment on how that amp pairs with the headphones?

I'm think about downgrading my current tube/MOSFET for a push/pull amp but I'm not sure how that will work with a planar magnetic headphone.

Velour pads are good if theyre well made. You wouldn't want velour pads on an ANC headphone. The whole point of ANC is to reduce outside noise, which velour doesn't do.

Larger pads like HM5 pads may also fuck with the ANC too. I'm not sure.

HM5 pleathers would probably work, though I'm not sure how the PCX550's attatch their pads, so you may have issues there.

might I be stuck with the pxc's ear pads? If so fug

Potentially. You could probably stretch the pad over the cup like most people do with headphones that use unconventional pad attachment methods, though that may not work if there are Bluetooth/ANC/whatever controls around the side. Not familiar with that headphones so I cant say if it will or won't work.

it's a noise cancelling bluetooth headphone. There are touch controls on the middle of the right side headphone

Rate my setups lads

trash/10

Every time.

What are good replacement pads for HD600 that won't fuck up it's sound? Stock one's are nice and thick, but a hole cup in them is too small for my ears, HD 598 pads have much better fit with my ears but they are also less thick.

How do you like the onemores? I just bought them today and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I never thought an anime would actually BTFO audiophiles like this.

It's so fucking true

So, a friend just bought a Sound Balster sound card. He has an HD598. How bad did he fuck it? He didn't want to pay a lot for a DAC/AMP.

Another friend is getting the HD598se and he may get that cheap AMP/DAC from schiit. Should he save some money for a better or even separate AMP/DAC?

I already have an O2 amp and I'll be getting the DAC or maybe the schiit one, what should I get for an O2+DT880 250?

I love this episode.

>So, a friend just bought a Sound Balster sound card. He has an HD598. How bad did he fuck it? He didn't want to pay a lot for a DAC/AMP.
He did fine, as long as it doesnt have a high output impedance.

>Another friend is getting the HD598se and he may get that cheap AMP/DAC from schiit. Should he save some money for a better or even separate AMP/DAC?
No. The Schiit Fulla 2 is plenty enough.

>I already have an O2 amp and I'll be getting the DAC or maybe the schiit one, what should I get for an O2+DT880 250?

Modi2, Hifimedy DIY 9018 DAC, whatever dragonfly has a proper line out mode. Not too familiar with cheaper DACs desu.

how do vmoda m100's compare with the dt 770's?

Whats the wooden headphone?

Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany

More midbass, less highs, a hell of a lot less comfortable, not quite as well built.

He probably meant the one above since its not branded

Welp, guess I'm retarded.

Ok so, I love the X2, but what will I do when the elastics start to give in to wear? What about the earpads? I don't see any replacements on sale online. Am I missing something?

HELP ME FROM THE OTHER THREAD

Post headphones

So noise is the issue? What exactly is your setup? Do you hear noise when absolutely nothing is playing? Does the noise level amplify when you turn up the volume? Have you tried unplugging the input to your amplifier and listened to the noise of the amplifier alone assuming this is possible?

Yes. I think the random high frequency/white noise at high volume when nothing plays making the clipping in my audio when the bass impact appears and sometime pure sound which is even worst. I have origen+ and I know for a fact that high impedance for powering ''powerful'' headphones is just a meme. My cans have low impedance, around 38, and they sound amazing and the bass is fine and impactful, but it's really kills the joy of listening to music that I enjoy, like bass oriented chill out songs.

Also im using apo for killing the highs in high volumes.

Im seriously need some king of a suggestion.

So if I get your question right, you're asking if hearing some white noise at high volumes is normal with out anything playing.

Are you turning the volume WAY up. Like if you played music at that volume would you be in pain listening to it? Do you hear this hiss at volumes you would listen to music?

The noise floor of different amps are different. Solid state amps usually have a low noise floor meaning that at normal volumes you don't hear any hiss but at very loud volumes you might get a little usually from the power converter. Tube amps suffer from all kinds of interference including them amplifying noise around you like the vibration of traffic outside your window, your refrigerator's compressor kicking on, and any ambient noise. Tube amps do produce hiss but also produce hums and sometimes very subtle ringing sounds.

read this

do you get the clipping with apo turned off?

How is the Origen connected? Optical or USB? Post the setup you use on EQ APO.

I'm uncertain whether you actually understand impedance but you shouldn't worry about it unless it's low. That can clip the amplifier.

also having a hiss at high volumes is normal like I said and if this normal amp hiss then it would have nothing to do with causing low end clipping.

My main cans are Fostex TH900s
I bought them at Dynamic Audio in Akihabara
I'm also friends now with the person I purchased them from
We always listen to music in one of their many rooms when I am in town
How did I do?

I'm glad you made a friend.

>here
nice

They are glued on my dude.

You could wait for me to repost it

Do you want to kill my ears?

here. I tried everything to kill this retarded clipping

But I literally killed the highs with apo, why should it continue distorting my audio? I need it for the bass experience

So any more suggestions? or answers?

Weird EQ but doesn't seem to be the cause of any clipping. Optical or USB? Do you have another pair of headphones you can try? Oh and what are the headphones?

wait so you're boosting the bass with apo also?

WS1100is and i have es10

Im waiting for better earpads for my es10s, currently WS1100is in use. And I use USB, and dc5v USB soon arriving.

You don't see?

I'm not a scrub so I don't use EQs on nice equipment. From the looks of the chart you're have a marked decrease in the 150 to 20hz audio range which is where bass resides. If you're getting clipping in the bass I'd bet money that you're fucking it up by screwing with the signal with out knowing what you're doing. You're also unwilling to try to see if the clipping is occurring with out using the eq so I guess you're just fucked. Sell everything and rebuy all new shit to see if that fixes it.

I'm interested if the clipping happens with ES10s equally. That could narrow this down.

Turn off EQ APO. Does it make a difference?

Try another USB port, preferably one which is behind a different USB controller. If you don't have motherboard which has multiple USB controllers, maybe try another PC? If you don't have that but are able to test the Origen with optical and DC power, try that, too.

>I'm not a scrub so I don't use EQs on nice equipment
No equipment nice enough which wouldn't benefit from properly applied equalization.

> but what will I do when the elastics start to give in to wear?
buy some elastic and sew it in

>What about the earpads? I don't see any replacements on sale online
Could probably put 770 pads on there. Not sure though.

Google comes up with these:
ebay.com.au/itm/Bass-Plus-Velvet-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-Philips-Fidelio-X2-Headphones-/261967950938

>I'm not a scrub so I don't use EQs on nice equipment
EQ should be used on everything. Not a single headphone has a perfect FR.

>Turn off EQ APO
I just tried it, but it sound so loud. How can i experience the bass and the lowend without loudness?

>Try another USB port, preferably one which is behind a different USB controller
I don't think it made any difference

>If you don't have that but are able to test the Origen with optical and DC power
The optical. How the hell should I connect it? in origen+? It's fucking weird, am i just retarded? Also dc will be next

Im really want to enjoy my music and experiencing it as it supposed, but because of that reason I just can't

Wow rude. You know what? I just listened to some music without apo and it sounded mostly better in certain tracks

>How can i experience the bass and the lowend without loudness?
By getting the frequency response right and having a comfortable listening volume with it. Most can be achieved with proper equalization. In some cases better pair of headphones is required.

>How the hell should I connect it
You need an optical S/PDIF(Toslink) terminated cable and a corresponding digital audio output from the device(PC for example) you play the music from.

Sure if you're into distorting what you're listening to and tuning your ear to hear things wrong and nothing sounding right. EQing is a pitfall that you can't crawl out of.

But believe me, WS1100is are good cans. It just has something to do with electrical issues or binary digits aren't coming so well through my pc.

>You need an optical S/PDIF(Toslink) terminated cable and a corresponding digital audio output from the device
Oh yeah? and how am i supposed to connect it?

>It just has something to do with electrical issues or binary digits aren't coming so well through my pc.
And making sure that is the case, using a different load(different set of headphones) is required.

>Oh yeah? and how am i supposed to connect it?
Like I originally said, IF you can. Your computer(or some other source device) should have SPDIF output connector. Cheaper motherboards and vast majority of laptops do not have it. Home theater gear and TVs often do feature it.

>They are glued on my dude.
Wut. The earpads are not glued?

Can you show me your equalization presets?

>using a different load
already did and it sounds the same

> Cheaper motherboards and vast majority of laptops do not have it
>Home theater gear and TVs often do feature it
What? I don't get it? elaborate further for a retard like me and don't get mad okay? How the hell am i supposed to connect optical to this shitty device? And if already i really want to buy a better dac/amp later on if that's the issue.

Expensive, but thanks for the link falamafam

These people screw up using a shelf filter.
Might just be better to avoid using it.

>Gain:
>+0.18 dB, +0.50 dB
Uh huh.

A batch of X2s did have glued on earpads.

>already did and it sounds the same
Then it's definitely one of the "upstream" components. If you turned off the EQ and it didn't help get rid of the clipping, then it's very likely one of your devices. Can you connect the Origen to another PC?

For optical you need:

1. an optical cable with Toslink connectors(pic related)
2. a device that can output digital audio in optical
3. a device that can input digital audio in optical(your Origen)

>peak gain -2.0 dB

So where In this pic optical can get connected?Also my one pc is the thing I have and it's pretty strong

Also my pc is the only thing I have*

I'm a real retard

>A batch of X2s did have glued on earpads.
Damn, didn't know that. Guess I got lucky.

You pop out the SPDIF cover and plug the connector in.

Bosshifi b8 cheap portable cans
???
Really rate them amazing quality for the 60 I spent on them.

>peak gain -2.0 dB
More about the useless filters that add complexity for nothing.

I missed the part earlier where we connected this straight to the computer: what happened then?

Cheapest pair of headphones with "active" noise cancelling that work well??

Summoning T50rp bro

You may also be able to just contact Phillips directly and see if you can purchase pads from them on request.

Hola?

Which pads do you have.
And got any ideas for a good, long ass cable?

HM5 hybrids

No idea about the cable. I made my own. I hear of people using Vmoda cables, but imo theyre too expensive for what you get, and a proper right angle would be better.

Yeah I can't find any long right angle adapters, might get a little "L" shaped adapter so cables won't hang out the side.

Notice any change in sound after going to Hybrids?

>Notice any change in sound after going to Hybrids?

Low end was slightly reduced. Other than that they sounded pretty much the same. It doesn't really matter though since only reason to own a T50RP is to mod them.

Yeah I'm thinking of doing the Mayflower mod, because I don't think you can do anything to improve low end.

Did you stretch the pads all the way around the cups, or did you put them in the slot?

>because I don't think you can do anything to improve low end.
Tons of mods to improve low end. Check the head-fi thread.

>Did you stretch the pads all the way around the cups, or did you put them in the slot?
Over the cup.

We're they hard to get over? Any issues with tearing? And do your ears touch the Hybrid pads?

Really? Are there any simple mods to improve low end that you know, because some of them seem pretty complicated.

>We're they hard to get over?
Somewhat.

>Any issues with tearing?
Nope

>And do your ears touch the Hybrid pads?
Just the bottom of my earlobe, but all pads do for me.

>Are there any simple mods to improve low end that you know,
Can't really give you the specifics. A lot of shit involves changing baffling and the porting on the back.

>because some of them seem pretty complicated.
That's the nature of headphone modding.

Fair enough, I was just wanting to start off with simpler mods to say.

Do they feel soft and cushy or stiffer and foamy

>Do they feel soft and cushy or stiffer and foamy
They feel quite soft thanks to the velour, and are decently cushy. Seal well too.

Mmmn you're selling me over Shure pads bb

Shure pads for mids
Hybrids for better low end.

someone... pls

I dont have any real recomendations because i dont wear iems, but you could try anything by sennheiser with good reviews.
I only recommend them because my sennheiser headphones havent stopped working in any way through some abuse.

I have a pair of Shure SE215 but last week the cable stopped working. I use them to listen to music from my smartphone. I bought a new cable online and it arrived today but the new cable is also not being recognized on my phone. Using a different phone, the cable appears to
work. So what's the issue? My phone jack is in good health - other earphones work. Why all of a sudden does my phone stop recognizing the cable of my Shure SE215?

So Shures wreck low end?

Not wreck, it's just not as tight.

Though if you got small ears so theyre not as close to the driver it may be the reverse.

are you shure that something isn't obstructing the cable from going in all the way because of the shape of the plug?

how good are the audio Technica m20x for every day use? I'm no expert in these things and I just want to buy my first "good" pair of headphones, any advice is welcome as well

also make sure that there isn't lint or something jammed into your phone's headphone jack.

Shit comfort, mediocre sound. Depends on how cheap you can get them or what you want them for. At their price IEMs and Chinese stuff is a better buy.

My HD650's are loud enough at 26 windows volume, but I did not feel like they were anything special.
Is this because I am not using an amp?
My previous headphones were HyperX Cloud2s

do you have nothing else to try them out with?

I'll try them out with my phone, thanks

I see. I'm planning to use them with my cellphone to listen music in my commute, I'm no expert really. In my country they go for about 100 dollars, would the Sennheiser HD 202 II be a better choice?

scratch that, they cost about 60 dollars, the Sennheiser about 50

They sound fine at a little over half volume on my iPhone 7, do they really need an amp to perform?

My DT 770's hurt my left ear after a few hours of wearing them, what should I do to try and minimize the discomfort?