I've been hearing sparking noises come from my PSU, I'm absolutely positive it's not a mechanical noise...

I've been hearing sparking noises come from my PSU, I'm absolutely positive it's not a mechanical noise, it happens during usage, heavy load or no load, computer on or off, doesn't matter. I have isolated the noise down to the PSU. No system crashes, nothing. It also happens 90% of the time I plug the PC on. I've taken a peek inside and there's no visible lights, I've smelled for ozone and I've failed to detect it except once when I smelled it very faintly but that might just be me hallucinating.

I have a cougar CMX 700 PSU, my CPU is a 4790 and my GPU is a Nvidia 970.

Any ideas? Is this normal for this PSU? I read it may be caps breaking down, though it says it has fancy Japanese caps that are supposed to last longer, the PSU is only 11 months old.

The PSU can't produce high enough voltages to make sparks, so it must be on the mains side.

Are the rest of my components safe? Can it die and take my PC with it?

PS: It sounds a little like a spark gap tesla coil

Other urls found in this thread:

hardwaresecrets.com/cougar-cmx-700-w-power-supply-review/10/#xSVAyBUEaA9GRtw1.99
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>can't produce high enough voltage to cause sparks

You are wrong as fuck my friend. You can do some ghetto stick welding with a 12v car battery. PSU's have more than enough current potential to go a arkin and a sparkin.

I haven't seen that brand in a while but I'm pretty sure they're considered absolutely terrible. Your PSU should not be making those kinds of noises.

Do the smart thing and buy a seasonic or super flower before you burn your house down.

Literally all you need to do when PSU shopping is select one of those brands, the wattage, and then look for the best you can afford.

>Terrible
Actually it has good reviews and doesn't go out of spec for the entire range of its power.

>12v arcing

12v won't even jump 0.1mm of air nor will it crack caps

(unless they are underrated, which they aren't)

The BIOS measurements don't measure a difference in voltage even when it's sparking (yes I kept staring at the bios screen until it did it randomly)

Any other ideas?

>buy literally who brand
>"omg its shit guys pls halp xDDD"
kys

This tbqh (to be quite honest) senpai

the model benchmarks fine you retard

It's a European manufacturer

>european
lol so even worse than chinkshit

I had an old Dell with a 1000w psu. It would do a noise much like what you're describing all the fucking time under a good load. It was fine until I decommissioned it and threw the original 750w back in it

kys and make good suggestions.

Mine doesn't require load to do it.

>make good suggestions
Corsair

>HALP ME
gets replies
>RETARDS
every tiem

Your psu is shit, nobody cares where it was made. You now know why it was cheaper than the established brands.

good suggestions that don't involve buying another one. I already paid 100$ for this one

It's a lot cheaper than buying a new computer once the PSU fries all your components

unplug it, open it up, look for burn marks

and after that, you can either spend a few months learning enough about electronics and soldering to replace the burnt bits, or just buy another one.

>The main problem with this power supply is voltage regulation. Starting at 560 W, voltages got outside their allowed range, what can make your computer behave erratically. We tested two samples, and both presented the same problem. Therefore, we can’t recommend this unit.
hardwaresecrets.com/cougar-cmx-700-w-power-supply-review/10/#xSVAyBUEaA9GRtw1.99

>Open it up

jesus christ, don't post shit like that

OP is literally retarded enough to open a PSU

That's the v1, I don't have the v1.

How can you honestly consider not replacing it if you suspect its randomly generating plasma arcs inside your computer.

how thick can you be?
the arcing and sparking alone can fry your components just with UV light

>open it
voids warranty. I can't see any burn marks through vents

I know how to discharge caps you autists.

>plasma
I said there was no light and no change in voltage measured in BIOS. If there was a plasma arc it'd definitely change voltage measured in BIOS

>I know how to discharge caps you autists.
I take it back.

OP, please open your PSU. Livestream it.

Towards the end, the Dell didn't require load either, but it idled at 500 fucking watts.

>He thinks he knows what he's doing.

Facebook live pls

if it has a warranty then fucking RMA it.

if they won't RMA for sparking noises, then the warranty and the brand are shit

>Cougar

Who the fuck.
I think I found your problem.

>sparking noises

you said it first OP.
you think exploding and splattering metals is safer than plasma arcs?
and you claim this happens even when the machine is turned off? you fucking stupid for keeping that thing around OP. It will burn down your house

you think 12v can't spark around? even a 9v battery can generate plasma arcs
you can almost weld steel with 12v, you can weld aluminum with 12v

Crack three psu open, it might be a short circuit. Possibly a pin bent out of place accidentally during assembly that you can just unbend or something.

I open all of mine and clean them once a year. don't ground yourself and touch the baddies.

I also fixed my old crt tv and I have zero electrical background. IT WILL KILL YOU is a meme. just don't have your left hand grounded while touching something with your right and it will just hurt.

>I know how to discharge caps
>I'm too stupid to know a direct short to ground even at 12v will cause arks
>I'm too stupid to recognize the PSU is a fire hazard even when not being used
>I'm too stupid to know a shit brand from a mile away
>I'm too stupid to know my PSU isn't normal yet confident I can fix it myself
>I'm so fucking stupid in fact I came here with a question and was given a clear as day answer and responded by calling everyone wrong and retarded

RIP OP
This retard is either going to die in a fire or shock himself to death