first for D

Thank you for using an anime image

Weeb

>What are you working on, Sup Forums?
Watching the Trump inauguration stream.

why is node.js the future?

h-how did you know

Quick prototyping language.
I don't plan building some web framework, just some quick local applications or scripts.

Is indentation level important there?

Can I touch you?

Unless you have a dick, and you call yourself a woman, it's not.

*picks up and smooches cute cheeks*
millenials

Soon Trump will rid us of scum like

if dick == true and female == true ?

if (dick == female) then exit(1)

>if dick == true and female == true
return faggot

This is pointless. Gender should be a boolean. male = true and female = false. Any other input should not compile.

>>>/reddit/

I'm sorry for making reddit tier jokes

>reddit tier
>* tier
>>>/reddit/

tfw I want to do more programming on my own but only just learned how to read and write files in C++ and can only write a program when I'm given an assignment.

What do I do /dpt/ the only thing I can do is simple shit with the command prompt and make text files. Everything I can think of or that people suggest doing is too complicated and I don't know how I would accelerate my learning outside uni or if it's even worth it.

I'm wanting to start a project (first one) where I have a script read emails from redbubble / teepublic and adds all of my sales together.

I'd like this to run on a pi zero and have it display the amount on a small lcd.

Is this something that a begginer would be able to accomplish? It sounds pretty simple, but I'm not sure. What language would be best to start this? Python?

Or should I just be using IFTT

>is too complicated
give me an example. no matter the project there's usually a little thing you can break off and play with. that's how everyone starts; but you have to actually be interested in the result

write a program that reads from stdin line by line and outputs to stdout any lines that contain the first argument given to the program. ex

$ echo "Hello\nWorld!" | myProg Wor
World!
$ echo "Hello\nWorld" | myProg test
$ echo "Hello\nWorld" | myProg Hello
Hello

>Python?
You'll be surprised, but Pi stands for Python interpretator, so, yes.

I wouldn't want you to start from Python, but I don't know other fairly good languages.

twitter.com/itvnews/status/822514006518853632

===

I am right now having some trouble with some html code, its a assignment and i basically have to make a chessboard with some symbols. Trouble is my teacher from turkmestan cant teach properly and has offered no resources on learning this stuff so i am surving off khan academy. If anybody has any resources i can read off of or checkout that would be very helpful. Another part i am having trouble with is linking from the home page and organizing my code better, i feel like i am doing everything long hand and it seems to be a bit confusing.

Just try to write something that might be useful to you and don't give up.
My first non-trivial C++ project was an application to manage my anime backlog (something similar to MAL). And years later I still use it daily.
It was pretty hard at the begging but I just kept googling shit non-stop until I got things right.

What's the state of cross-platform runtimes for C#? I'm interested in the language, particularly because of its popularity in some game engines, but I'm a Linux guy and I'm a bit suspicious of Microsoft's influence on the language

>python "programmers"
>javascript "programmers"
>ruby "programmers"

>googling shit non-stop until I got things right

This is really important. Don't feel dumb for seeking help. Eventually you stop having to google every step of the way which is an incredible feeling.

Until then, hammer the search bar.

Need a few more years to mature and have Java-like performance on non-Windows.

What does that program do mate?

My main difficulty is finding a problem that I would actually know where to begin with the knowledge I have already. If I knew where to start then I could google when I get to something I don't know.

What is a good language to switch from Python?
Please no Lua.

And this post in mine.

Much of programming is actually just trying to figure out how to compose the simple building blocks in a meaningful manner.

If you know how to create new data types (classes, objects, structs, whatever the language offers in that regard) and you know loops and conditional statements, then you're ready to program a lot of stuff. The problem may be to find a project that interests you enough to actually keep going from your own inner drive.

Learn Nim, it has direct compilation to C and can be ported to javascript. I've been learning it myself recently and it's pretty nice. Either that or ruby

For what purpose do you want to switch? Just to try something new or to embrace a completely new style of programming? Why aren't you happy with Python and what would you like to see in your new language?

Go.

What do you want to do with the new language?

I think I have a good handle on the logic. I think I might do some kind of backlog program that also stores info on stuff I've recently read or played or whatever.

I'm looking for a partner for an online game. I need a programmer who's experienced with HTML5/JS/SocketIO and hopefully phaser.io. I can invest $1000 of my own money into the game, we'd code it together and split the profit 50/50. We can discuss the details of the game together, or I'm open to your own game ideas and we'll collaborate together. Email: [email protected] if interested.

Also, if you haven't already, you could try getting into a library for graphical user interfaces.

You are working as a miserable IT slave and this girl calls you in asking you why the keyboard keeps hitting random keys on the keyboard. It's always low keys like space, ZXC M,. etc. You aren't allowed to say the real reason because HR is full of women who will flip shit and fire you. How do you explain it to her?

I wonder what a neet coder girl's computer chair smells like.

Actually now that I think about it, if I could I'd love to write a program that would scan my music library and let me know if it finds any vinyl rips, fucking hate those lmao

You want /agdg/.

Does she type on the keyboard with those gigantic mammaries

>What does that program do mate?
The first build was just some spreadsheet, much like Excel, where I input values. Later I started adding things like image attachment, advanced search option, google search for the shows, dumped the spreadsheet-like layout for something similar to a flow layout panel, etc etc.

Don't try to do everything at once or else you're going nowhere. Take your time and test each step separately.

What do you think about Haxe?

What do you think about Clojure?

Ask her to start typing so you can observe the issue, then after you see it you fiddle around with the connections and make sure everything is working correctly. Readjust the keyboards position on her desk, then you tell her to make sure the isn't accidentally leaning against the keyboard as she types just incase that's causing the problem.

Why wouldn't you want me to?

Might check that.

I'm tired of Python, so I'm not happy with it anymore.

>What do you want to do with the new language?
Quick prototyping language, mostly for local scripts and applications.

Because I assume you are a good user and I don't want bad things to you.

Maybe try a LISP: would recommend Racket.

Otherwise Ruby.

Julia is probably not mature enough.

I wonder what a markov chain trained on /dpt/ shitposts would look like. I'm building up a collection of shitposts as we speak

If you're willing to invest time, then try Scala. You can use it
>as a full scale programming language
>as a scripting language
>in a REPL
>as an object oriented language
>as a functional language
The language was a little awkward to me at first, but it quickly grew on me. You absolutely have to do some reading though, it's not an easy language to learn, because there are a lot of conventions and shortcuts that you must have seen at least once before. But there's a lot to learn if you're new to functional programming.

Is the only way to get rid of bad programming habits is to way until someone calls you an idiot while looking at your code, or is there some book/resource that I could read that goes through the most common programming rookie mistakes?

But i'm tired of Python, so I'm not happy with it anymore.

I want a quick prototyping language, mostly for local scripts and applications.

We had a few of those running through here. It was mostly contrarian digression while holding to the original point over non-combatible points.

It just juggled unadulterated opinions and avoided any kind of meaningful transference.

It's been done before. It's not pretty.

And speaking of not pretty: >Scala

>Quick prototyping language.
Python or Ruby. Flip a coin if you can't decide.

May sound stupid, but I'm attempting to write strings to a binary file using C++, however when I do so they still display as ASCII text, whereas numbers do not when viewed in a text editor.

if(out.is_open()){
out.write(&message[0], message.size());
}

I can imagine the text editor picks up null terminated strings and displays them as ASCII, but is that the case? The binary flag is active on the ofstream that I use.

Hmm. Maybe if I combine /dpt/'s shitposts with the other generals's the results will be hilarious. There's plenty of Sup Forums twitters but they seem dead

What does this post state?

I actually hated Scala when I first heard of it. But I've started using it and ... it's not so bad. I guess it's an acquired taste.

Just try looking at why this thing "is this way" rather than "that way" and keep those differences in mind.

The mistakes are shown to you in your compiler error messages. They are shown to you in the chugs and pulls of your computer as it runs your program. Not keeping up with the wave-front algorithm really has less to do with programming than you think. The thing is you keep using google so you are getting results that were tailored in the billions for and by Indians.

Have fun in their little jerry rig.

Working on a Jscript that will download a trojan through your wifi to your hardware >:)

Talking about twitters, the dpttxt seems alive again. Good.

thx bby

Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 has C# Interactive - it's just a REPL, but it's good enough for quick prototyping.

Can I program my friends to stop getting pregnant?

So is scat.

>C#
>REPL
Just use Lisp already pleb

No, the only solution is termination.

Why is python bad?

You can always try to Abort() their threads.

i don't think robots can do that surgery yet

I'm the owner. I had stopped visiting Sup Forums but now I'm back

how about joining them?

>I had stopped visiting Sup Forums
Wew, normie.

As long as there are deadlocks between them, why not.

I lost my virginity too... pls don't throw me out ;(

What's your issue with Scala, then?

>a library for graphical user interfaces
I haven't begun to use libraries yet. GUIs is one of the big things I'm waiting to learn how to do. When I think to myself "I can't write a real program" the fact that I don't into GUIs yet is part of the reason

I've been using Scala at work for the last few years.

It's going through what Java has been through (and a lot of other languages too): a lot of churn in what is considered best practice. Remember the cake pattern?

>tfw 24 yo virgin.

>[tlacatlc6] Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season 05 (BD 1280x720 x264 AAC)[D9B2BABB].mkv_snapshot_18.35_[2016.06.28_00.56.15].jpg

I wonder why??

>GUIs is one of the big things I'm waiting to learn how to do.
Just get going then! It's easier than you think. Just need to do some reading and playing around.

KeK

Going to look up some videos tomorrow on how to get started using libraries and then start looking at how to use GUIs

Hang in there user

I am a snake. Ask me any programming question

W-Where are you going with this?

Is python a good programming language, because its above C level?

what will be after nodejs?
>when the next generation of (((programmers))) realizes it's too complex for their feeble minds

No. A language being above C level does not make it good.

It may be good for other reasons, such as good FFI or a wide range of libraries.

I'm saying there's a lot of bullshit thrown around about how to write code in Scala. The language is flexible enough that you can write some truly awful code with the best of intentions, and there will be people cheering you on from the sidelines, but this time next year they'll be denouncing those same practices.