/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/463754/how-to-make-ttf-mscorefonts-installer-package-download-fonts-after-it-says-it-i
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Slackware

(me)

Second for NixOS

Neither GNU nor Linux, but
> Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

How can we ever know these search engines respect our privacy? With something like a free-software messaging app like signal one could check the source and see what it's sending; or even check if the key you use is actually your friend's public key and not your servers'. But with a search engine you have to send it what you want to search, and simply by visiting the website they can figure out a lot about you, such as whether you use certain plugins, your IP if not on VPN, if not faking one they can read the browser agent, etc. and track it all.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

distro?

Yes.

Yes

Slackware is pretty comfy, that's why I love it.

>How can we ever know these search engines respect our privacy?
Because you can see your browsers cookies?

Ubuntu. Any distro where Steam just werks?

Hello, I'm noob just like you. I heard that Ubuntu is the beginner & neophyte friendly Linux to use, with good support for modern hardware.

You are very bored and lonely troll

No idea, the steam-native package combined with some others seems to just werk for me on Arch, but if it runs on arch it should definitely work on Ubuntu.

Have you checked the answers to this question? askubuntu.com/questions/463754/how-to-make-ttf-mscorefonts-installer-package-download-fonts-after-it-says-it-i
the first answer might help you

remove package and reinstall

>allows reliable system upgrades
Why is this a selling point for a Linux distribution? Does Linux still have the same problems it did back in 2001 when I tried Debian and ended up using FreeBSD? Genuinely wondering, I didn't seem to have any problems when I was messing around with Funtoo in bhyve, but I admit I haven't tried for long enough.

The truth is you can't know what any site does with your data. There's completely passive fingerprinting via IP block and userstring tracking can be enough to identify you, and while you can guard against them, it involves tor and a user-agent-switcher (which switches your user-agent for every visit with enough entropy that it can't be fingerprinted), all of which requires you to know all of that, which most people don't and never will.

h e h
e
h

You can still get a lot of info without cookies. If Google stopped using cookies completely it would still be bad from a privacy perspective.

Has anyone here ever tried helping the GNU project? I'd like to help but don't really know how. They have this page with how to help but it doesn't really give the info you need.
On github I'd just fork, fix, pull-request. No issues for me? look at the issue tracker. Everything easily accessible. But savannah is a bitch to navigate and things like how to make a pull request aren't really clear.

>put tff-mscorefonts-installer_3.6_all.deb in downloads folder
>Install .deb manually by command line
>No such file or directory found
What folder do I need this package in for my computer to recognize it exists. Steam Ubuntu guy.

Are you trolling?

The Ubuntu help form said that there is a bug with the Ubuntu version of the mss-corefont package, and a manual install of the debian package would fix the error.

Is this like install a patch on a pirated game in windows? that's what it feels like.

Guess what, NixOS. But it downloads .debs under the hood, I have no idea why it wouldn't work in Ubuntu.

I think it's better than back in 2001. I kind of love FreeBSD as an idea. Absolute FreeBSD by Michael W. Lucas is one of my favorite books. Not just tech books but in general. It's about how a system is engineered not grown, about meritocracy and reliability and all. A bit like The Mysterious Island or something. The tech Utopia. The wireless drivers though...

What are you all using for system backups, Sup Forums? I liked rsync and Clonezilla

Another question from the Ubuntu user. Is there a program for voice control of linux? My googling only revealed a terminal based voice commander from 2004. I want a free open source program that works like cortana, or siri, or Ok google.

rsnapshot

www.xubuntu.org uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate expired on 23. November 2016 14.00. The current time is 21. janury 2017 klo 1.35.

There's a school of philosophy that goes something like this: Software is more important than hardware, so you select your hardware in such a fashion that the software you want can run on it. It dates back to at least the 70s and UNIXs inception, and is probably older even than than that.

ZFS snapshots to LTO5 tapes that are stored off-site and a seperate backup via SpiderOak on an unlimited account.

Fucking kek.

Something like this should work:

sudo dpkg -i /path/to/package.deb

If it's already installed you could do

sudo dpkg -r packagename

There are a few under development but nothing really easy to use as far as I'm aware.

Anyone know if it would be possible to export my settings and torrent info from a Windows installation of qbittorrent to one on GNU/Linux? Don't want to go through the process of having to do it manually by adding them and rechecking.

I want to listen to certain books for which there are no audibooks available.

I already have a working command. Is there a simple way to make the festival voice command sound less robotic and more natural and pleasant?

echo "$(cat test.txt)" | festival --tts

I agree, but I'm not sure the operating system is that important. I don't backup /bin, I backup /home and /etc. I want my environment. As long as an OS can run it I don't care what it is. I think that in that school of philosophy the OS would be something between the software and the hardware. I can install an OS in something like 15 minutes, it's my dotfiles, ssh keys and a list of packages (configured so that they cooperate) what matters.

See, that's just completely nuts to me. My OS and its configuration is as important as my data - and that's where root on zpool with snapshots and beadm is nice for these reasons:
1) Let's say I upgrade FreeBSD and it fails spectacularily, leaving me with a system that's completely unbootable? Revert to the snapshot I took just before upgrading, and my system files will be back in the working state they were in, whereas my user files (both personal in my home directory and elsewhere; such as my media library and collections of rare stuff) are completely untouched either by the upgrade or the snapshot.
2) Now let's imagine lightning strikes and fucking destroyes my server completely so that it's incapable of even POSTing or powering on (something a UPS won't protect against)? I grab my tapes and use them to restore up to the last week, then grab the remaining data from Spideroak and I'll have lost up to an hours work, no more.
3) If my house burns down from the lightning strike? I restore up to the nearest month and grab the rest from SpiderOak.

My data is safe.

should I go with Manjaro, Elementary OS or Ubuntu, having in mind I want to learn more about gnu/linux?
Could Manjaro possibly help me approach Arch later on?
Which is more free as in freedom and less bloated?

thanks

they all aim to make the experience as easy as possible. if you worry about free software use debian instead of ubuntu.

So are mine. I can rollback to several previous states.

If my laptop burns, I ask the helpdesk for a new one, grab my org file from github, tangle it (which places all the configuration files in the right places), run nixos-rebuild --switch and the packages get installed, I then checkout my work stuff from repos and restore personal stuff with rsnapshot.

If it's a server, I install OS with xcat, install the environment with Puppet and restore the data with bareos.

Backup policy has nothing to do with OS.

HW and OS are just something to host your environment and your data. HW, OS, configuration and data are more or less independent, and you can have different ways to backup and restore them and make them cooperate.

I don't think you understand how ZFS snapshots work. They're atomic and filesystem-wide, I can revert to any snapshot I want ever since I installed FreeBSD on top of ZFS.

How do I give Oracle VM access to physical disk? This just wants to creat virtual disk

use ubuntu based distros, than try to install arch(you will fail first time) than go back on ubuntu based distro and use it some more, than try to install arch (this time it will boot but you will break it while installing proprietary nvidia drivers ) go and use ubuntu based os , than install antergos and say to friends that you are arch haxoor and send them screenfetch pngs (ofc edited ASCII that it shows arch logo)

use ubuntu based distros, than try to install arch(you will fail first time) than go back on ubuntu based distro and use it some more, than try to install arch (this time it will boot but you will break it while installing proprietary nvidia drivers ) go and use ubuntu based os , than install antergos and say to friends that you are arch haxoor and send them screenfetch pngs (ofc edited ASCII that it shows arch logo)

I just got a Kabby Lake XPS 13.

It has Windows 10 Home.
Coming from Windows 7 I have no fucking idea what is going on.

Does anyone else have an XPS and if so, what distro are you running?

Why are you using echo in that context? Is something wrong with piping cat into festival directly? Unrelated to your question, no idea about the robot voice.

I don't understand arch. if you are going to go full autist with configuration why not use gentoo?

Probably the package managers, if I had to guess. What's autistic about either distro? Arch really doesn't take very long to install once you get the hang of it.

actually I managed to install arch today in virtualbox, first tries I couldn't install grub, then when I reeboted it went straight back into installation instead of booting in the already installed directory

today I did it all right but couldn't manage to configure network kek
was pretty satisfed for the day with the installation, tomorrow I will try again :^)

Can I just use VM to open up the image and then install it "properly" as if were bootable USB /CD

Yes. Be sure to include the iso as a secondary drive so that the VM can boot it for the sake of installing.

>include the iso as a secondary drive
What do you mean? I should have the image mounted in the Windows too?

Guys I think I'm switching to Linux, is bunsenlabs good for a beginner?

No. There's a configuration option in whatever virtualization software that you use that allows you to include the iso as part of the VM. I'll attach a VirtualBox screenshot, but the picture won't be relevant if you use other software, obviously.

Click the CD icon on the right and navigate to where your ISO is saved.

And now I just boot up the image in VM and click the install image at desktop?

Yep, that's it.

Don't worry about it warning you about potential data loss; the VM can't wipe anything that isn't part of the virtual hard drive you create for it.

>the VM can't wipe anything that isn't part of the virtual hard drive you create for it.
Ah, so I can't do it properly? I don't want it to be on VHD or dual boot shenanigans

You can't do it improperly. It won't wipe windows. It'll install in the VM's attached storage and you don't run any risk of wiping data.

I don't want to save any of Windows. I want to delet it

>delet
I think you're baiting me, but I'll bite, given that this is allegedly a friendly thread. If you want to wipe Windows and only boot that OS, you have to boot to the installation media from the BIOS, either via CD or USB. Any virtualized installation you do will be restricted the the virtual machine, leaving your hard disk intact.

fucking shit

>tfw u have mad neet skillz

>look guiez i a neat!!

gondolas

If you want to learn Arch, use Antergos. It's closer to being Arch than Manjaro.

would like to but my shit is 32bits

eat more fiber
or if you recently moved to a high elevation, it could be altitude sickness. in which case, stay hydrated

thanks for the vital advice

god bless my friend

Rec me a file manager that has thumbnail support /fglt/.

>using firefox

dolphin or thunar

>file manager
But most have them? zip with with first image as thumbnail fucking where?

most filemanagers support cbz thumbnails

Thunar doesn't. I should eventually leave it. I mean, I like how fast it is, but crashing when moving or renaming files, not having built in search, and missing more filetype thumbnails should be enough to warrant a switch. I could try dolphin again, but I would need to install a fuckload of packages just to use it.

spacefm maybe.
or just use a decent DE which has a decent file manager like dolphin.

>nvidia 970m was running quite slow, slower than my previous computers 755gtm
>nvidia 782 added to xenail graphics ppa
>update driver and bumblebee.conf
>games now running almost 40% faster
pretty fucking happy right now senpai

Does lynda.com have a download limit? I was thinking about paying for a month to download a bunch of linux courses.

I just downloaded and installed arch via architect and apparently that shit doesn't work anymore. Is there anything other than arch anywhere that is analogous?

Anyone knows at what framerate GTK3 applications run? I'm using a dual monitor setup (one 60Hz, another 144Hz). If I scroll in GTK2 (e.g. thunar, leafpad), it's super smooth. But if I scroll in GTK3 (e.g. pcmanfm, l3afpad), it's 60Hz-like choppy.

Currently using XFCE with compositing disabled, because I think there's an X11 bug or limitation which causes X11 to run at the lower refresh rate of two monitors if compositing is enabled. Hell, I don't even know if there's a bug report yet.

Can i sudo apt install on arch

no but you can emerge =sys-os/arch-20170101

install gentoo

install gentoo

already using gentoo :^)

If my router doesn't have a firewall turned on, I was told by the cable guy that by default all ports are open and if not I have my port forwarded, my machine doesn't even have iptables installed, and I'm apparently connectable in my bittorrent client, how come perfect dark is refusing to connect?

y-you too!

reinstall gentoo

Install gentoo in a VM in gentoo.

Are there any known issues with Debian or WINE or Debian's specific configuration of WINE that prevent applications from using opened ports? If I change distro will things work differently?

>a coin toss game, where two bettors wage a predetermined amount of bitcoin on the flip of a coin

can this be done via bash scripting, or do i need to actually learn how to program?

if (( $RANDOM < 16384 )); then echo Heads; else echo Tails; fi

keep in mind ports below 1024 are privileged on most systems (only root can use them)
ports above 1024 should be bindable by applications running in wine as other users

why 16384?

because "$RANDOM" contains a random number between 0 and 32767

gangster

Help, my cursor can't move.
I put the mouse sensitivity all the way down (because I like that) but did't realize that doing this would render my mouse useless
Opening the settings menu for mouse and using tab and arrows to try to correct it doesn't help.

>set mouse speed to 0
>surprised when it no longer moves

But I would except a minimum of 1

A slider goes from a minimum to a maximum, not from 0 to infinity. Making a slider with a mimium of 0 is the only stupid thing here.

I always put it to 0 so I don't get tempted to use my mouse.

Arch reporting in. I was on Gentoo, but it's a pain in the dick getting my Ethernet adapter working with Gentoo, so I went back to Arch.