codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
gist.github.com/dypsilon/5819528

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS
pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

bento.io/
frankdiox.github.io/OnsenUI-YouTube/.
api.jquery.com/each/
github.com/knq/xo
leanpub.com/tangowithdjango19/
a.4cdn.org/g/archive.json
a.4cdn.org/g/thread/58428899.json
a.4cdn.org/g/threads.json
s3.amazonaws.com/file.extension
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is it possible for website to look like an old, white man?

maybe

>bento.io/
Stop getting angry

I got a job at the UX design lab at my school. What are the best books on UX/UI?

>tfw finally got a job after busting my ass off learning web dev for a consultancy
It finally paid off Sup Forums, 10 months of hard work and dedication has finally let me get a comfy job.

ama I'll try to help you my brothers

Congratulations dude. I'm still in the "busting by ass off" phase. I got an internship writing plugins for java, but I really want to do web dev. What do you think is the most important skill you have? I do a lot of webapp development and often think I focus more on functionality than form, so all my websites DO something rather than be simple webpages showing information. I'm and I'm trying to study UI/UX design so I can make flashier websites.

Congrats. I dont really have questions because I know what I need to do though.

Good job bro. I'm still a novice and learning the ropes. What are some useful tips and tricks for javascript?

Congrats. Also, what is the best javascript framework for web applications?

>10 months
?
I got a job in a little over a month practicing 8 hours a day from scratch.

just picked up a macbook pro. How is web devv'ing on it? I run a WAMP stack on windows

Are you implying he applied for the same job as you?

For me, I've found the best resource has been awesome list. Just go to github and search "awesome {programming language}" and it's a whole repo full of really good resources for learning a language. Everything from basics to advanced and the future. The best awesome list I have used so far has been Awesome React. Almost all the resources in that repo are filled with gold.

Other than that though, stay focused and stay dedicated. I've suffered from an attention disorder for a very long time and have had a lot of trouble staying focused. I often found myself doing something and then switching to video games in a moments notice. One of the best things I did in order to learn programming, was slowly ween away from that urge to distract my attention, and make myself set times of when I would do project work and when I would play games. You don't have to learn everything over night, go at your own pace, but don't go at the pace where you know you're not learning and stay engaged.

I never took a course on UI/UX. I actually made most of my website inspiration from really flashy websites. My 2 favorites are Acne Studios website and also Rolls Royce cars. Any website that looks like it was made by a creative agency always has great UI/UX in my opinion, and is really good for what creative direction you should go.

In my opinion, I enjoy using React the most. Separating UI into reusable components, using JSX, and building a website using an anatomic method is fantastic. That and the react modules are some of my favorite tools to use. React-router, Axios, etc. are all great to use. The best part about using React too is also getting a chance to build something using ES6. In my opinion, using ES6 as something I could mark on my resume looked really good to employers.

I'm glad you are a much more gifted learner than me and that programming has fared you well.

why is JASP the best stack? (JAVASCRIPT/AJAX, APACHE, SQL, PHP)

Do you do graphic design stuff or more css type design? Do you rely on a separate illustrator? If you do your own graphic stuff, what software do you use most?

how should I go about committing these in git? Each of the pages are a different /xxxx on my website. do I just go into each page and do 'git init' then add all the files?

So you go to the root folder that holds everything from Node_modules, to server.js in your shell.

From there, do git init. After that it creates the repository. From there you can do your git commands. So git add pages/calculator, then do your git commit, etc. That way your whole folder is being logged in your repository.

If there are files you don't want to be added, create a .gitignore and add the folder name or filename of what you wan to ignore when making your commits. That way, you don't accidentally add all of your node_modules and push them to github. Otherwise, it will take a very long time to fork and clone, and it is very counter-intuitive, because you already have a package.json to handle your dependencies.

dude you might need to learn about git again

I know the basics I'm just thinking organization-wise. Each of the pages are a separate app, so I was thinking I might want to make those their own repository within the larger repository that is the whole thing combined?

In Firefox, how do I see what addon is creating certain HTML code in a page? I'm trying to figure out what's creating this underline style (pic).

Inpsector should allow you to view the different elements if it's like Chrome.

I know but that doesn't really help me, because I need to know what addon's script is creating that element.
Pic related, this is all I get from the inspector.

disable( not uninstall) then enable all addons one by one to see which one is triggering it. Thats the only way

has anyone ever used templates on both client and server side? i have this template engine i wrote on my own on the projects i worked on and i decided to port it to javascript so that i can use the same templates on frontend when i load pages dynamically. it works quiet well at the moment but i'd like to hear a third person's opinion on the subject.

How fun is web dev for a living?
Will you do it for at least 15 years?

as long as you can keep up with the trends and new developmentsi, it's even fun to do it. i'm originally a teacher but i do webdev stuff as a freelancer from time to time. as long as you can do something above average and you like what you do, there's no way you'll get bored of it.

Is it possible to make an Angular 2 website that would look good both on desktop and mobile? I want to host the website and also have it available as a Cordova app on Android and iOS.

What kind of UI framework would you recommend? So far I've looked into Onsen UI and Ionic, but, as I understand, those are good only for the mobile UI and look like ass on desktop, like this frankdiox.github.io/OnsenUI-YouTube/.

use something you're comfortable with and design the front end like you design a mobile friendly website. that'd make things so much easier.

I'm not comfortable with anything yet. This is my first webdev project.

>first webdev
>Angular 2

Either you switch to Angular 1 or Vue as
Angular 2 has horrible syntax.

Also how do you do backend (server with database). Preferably use something like Django Rest Framework

I'll make the back end with Java. For me, that's the easy part because I'm a Java dev.

I'm more concerned with the front end. What do you think about the Materialize framework? Seems just like Bootstrap, but better in every way. Should I be concerned that crapple fanboys might not like material design in their apps?

bump for this.

we use react now senpai

What are some good books for learning spring framework?

the docs

Ok I am struggling with something simple here.

In Javascript I want to add a class to the of a table that has text that matches with an array, how do I go about this, I know it has something to do with a for loop but I can't figure out the next part.

If you're using JQuery, see this:

api.jquery.com/each/

what are you trying to do? seems like the general approach is already wrong.

i'm not talking about using templates on client side only and i would like to keep using my own libraries. what i was trying to ask was would it save bandwidth if i use client side templates when i load pages into DOM.

it depends on how often your pages get called, if they get cached or not.

if your library alone is larger than 10 page calls with data only but your average user only hits 2-3 pages then no.

the problem with having a serverside AND client side library is you have to maintain both. add a feature to the server, it has to be present on the client.
seems to be a lot of time wasted porting code back and forth.

>paying 1.5k for a laptop
>soldered on ssd
>soldered on ram
>planned obsolescence
pic related is you

imagine it like facebook. top and bottom of the page stays the same and i change what's beetween them by loading pages with ajax. normally, when i load a page without client side templaes, it just outputs the whole page as top content and bottom and when i load a page using ajax, it outputs the content as plain html. that's why i want to use client side templates. to decrease the size of the response of ajax calls for faster load times and to spend less bandwidth.

What are the best technologies to use for a marketplace app for buying and selling shit?
Something that could handle 300k daily users and be easily scalable.

so exactly like every client side framework like react, angular, ember etc.

yeah but i wrote it on my own with plain javascript. it supports looping arrays, if/elseif conditions and so on. and the server side template engine does the same so they can use the same template files without a problem.

why would you have separate apps in the same project folder?

Any backend pros here? Preferably with Go.

I'm going to use a RDBMS for the backend storage, and I'm wondering whether or not an ORM is worth it.

I can define all my tables in SQL, or I can define them in Go which then generates the SQL for me. What is the best approach?

use sqlite

That's retarded. Go away.

sorry i've mistaked this thread with dpt. using sqlite is a great idea if you're working on a portable application though.

go's stdlib has good sql support, but if you want to use an orm, gorm is probably the leading option from what I've seen.

>I can define all my tables in SQL, or I can define them in Go which then generates the SQL for me. What is the best approach?
Most SQL implementations let you pass a set of commands in as a file. Just write a file called (for example) init.sql and put all your database init stuff in it (DROP TABLE IF EXISTS whatever; CREATE TABLE whatever, etc)

sqlite is fine for small-medium projects. I use it all the time, especially while in development. Postgres/mysql will eat ram like crazy, and I like to have a billion browser tabs open while I'm working on stuff. Makes cleanup a lot easier too since you can just delete a file.

Yes, the stdlib is good, and I may end up just using that. I've worked some software projects in the past, and we all used ORM's only to stop using them to rely more on SQL. Even for ORM's as competent as Java's, we still ended up on using things like Mybatis, which has you define SQL in an XML-file. I know it sounds like hell, but it works.

On another note, Go is perhaps the first language where I've thought

"damn, I don't feel like I need a framework here. It's like they are getting in the way!"

Forgot to mention this in my reply, but I found something called xo:
github.com/knq/xo

Which does more or less what I want. I write the SQL, and it generates the Go code for me!

I get the data access objects to work with, and then I can easily pass the data around in the form of structs.

Great!

Is jQuery objectively the best JS framework right now?

All I see is a lot of meme.js libraries popping up and dying off in a couple of months or worse, completely mangling their code with every version.

There's no such thing as an objectively best framework. There are different tools for different needs. And if you want to get technical, jQuery is a library, not a framework.

>All I see is a lot of meme.js libraries popping up and dying off in a couple of months or worse, completely mangling their code with every version.
So don't use those ones then. There's plenty of stable stuff out there, use that. Or just use vanilla JS.

I came here a couple of weeks ago about an .htaccess regex question. The site was working fine with this but for some fucking reason out of nowhere, I never touched the .htaccess, but it won't work anymore.
Here is what I have:

RewriteRule ^([a-z]*)/?$ index.php?pg=$1 [QSA,L,NC]
RewriteRule ^item/([a-z]*)/?$ /index.php?cat=$1 [QSA,L,NC]
RewriteRule ^item/([a-z]*)/([.?]*)/?$ /index.php?$1=$2 [QSA,L,NC]

The page keeps showing a default 404 page from the engine itself.

And for some reason, when I put [a-zA-Z0-9\-] for that last part instead of [.?] my URL changes to /item//-/ for some reason. I checked if these have anything to do with it, but nothing:
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9]+)$ /%1/? [R=301,L]
RewriteRule $/item/([a-z]*)/([0-9a-z\-]*)$ /%1/%2/? [R=301,L]

What the fuck happened? It can't be something wrong from php, right?

Actually what the fuck? I went back through some php and it worked. How did the php rewire .htaccess to change break?

>inb4 php

it's for my portfolio site. the "site" page is the portfolio, and the "calculator", "weather", and "tictactoe" pages are separate apps linked to from the main portfolio page. I'm wondering if I should make each of the apps it's own repository since they're separate projects

What's the best way to structure a JQuery mobile project?

I don't want to have a single HTML file and a single JS file for everything.

>[.?]*
>[a-zA-Z0-9\-]
You want [a-zA-Z0-9-]* instead, you aren't supposed to escape the -

>jquery mobile
what is this, 2012?
It's dead, why bother with it?

Hmm I saw that from other places where - is escaped if it's in the middle of other cases like a-z\-A-Z but it works now. The problem was a function was being called wrongly which was breaking the cycle of the page.

Now PDO is being a bitch. Jesus, leaving a project then coming back to it is such a bad idea.

What's bad about consistency? The other libraries/frameworks are too unstable in terms of releases and development.

I don't want to rewrite my front end every month because the boys at meme.js decided to completely rewrite their code.

I know super basics of python and I want to learn django, should I continue learning python first? If so where can I do it otherwise where do I learn django?

then use a LTS release.
our applications at work work for around 2 years now without updating them.
It's not like they stop working once a new version comes out.

Okay, which JS library/framework do you suggest? I want to host the website online and also make a Cordova app out of it.

we've experimented with cordova and emberjs at work, though usability just isn't the same as native, so we went with native android only.

might as well consider not making an app out of it, not every website needs a dedicated app.

leanpub.com/tangowithdjango19/

does anyone have this book?

Say I need to overlay 3 divs. How?

Relative
Absolute
????

For some reason in HTML, my table gets expanded so much when I put a huge image with inside of one .

Note that I use height and width with a specified % to make it smaller, like a thumbnail. Why is this happening?

printf("",$ids[$i]['img']);

I'm also having a similar problem on another page.

Should I not use tables? Or should I not use width and height in the element and do it with CSS? I think I did it with CSS before and it gave me the same result. Maybe there's another CSS call that changes that? float:left ruins some other parts in the table, unless you guys know something.

Probably relative and move them with top:-10px or something? You can use top, left, right, bottom.

Absolute just makes it stick to the page entirely where relative sticks after the content that comes before it.

tables are fine for tabular data.
yes, you should use CSS.
a better approach would probably make some container element with a fixed size and then set the image as background-image with background-size: contain, so you don't have to worry about different sizes of the images.
also set table-layout: fixed on the table.

I'm creating an e-commerce statistics dashboard and I have free reign over what technologies to use.

The app will call a bunch of webservices and display data on product popularity etc. etc.

Are there any frameworks /wdg/ would recommend ? I have good knowledge of php.

Oh you're right! I forgot about doing that. Man, not working on websites for a while makes you forget a lot of techniques rip.

Let me try and I'll upload a picture.

decided to make a indexer meme after seeing many posts about them on Sup Forums, how does this plan look

You make 4 divs: 1 is a container with position: relative, 3 others are inside with position: absolute. Then you can play with inner divs' left, right, top, bottom and z-index parameters

Is there a good guide to what should be on a portfolio (entry level front end)

Is MailChimp a good idea? I'd like to try something else because it will get expensive when the subscribers number goes up. I only need it to send notifications of new blog posts. I would like to have the freedom to design them myself, even if it's rudimentary.

Who /tachyons.io/ here?

What is the fastest UI framework for an Angular 2 website that will be ported into a Cordova app?

I've tried Materialize, but the input labels and the floating action button were very sluggish. Buggy side menu as well.

wtf is an indexer meme if i may ask so myself ?

Alright am I just retarded, or are the Amazon Web Developers retarded?

I click "All Tablets" and nowhere on this page, is there a way to find all tablets and see their prices.

Down at the bottom, it shows like 8 tablets. But that's it. There's no way to see the rest.

Am I just retarded at using their website, or are the developers retarded in not allowing me a way to browse all tablets?

you are retarded for wanting to buy a tablet

all as in, any type, not a specific one as selectable on the right.

option 1
use archive a.4cdn.org/g/archive.json
scrape threads you dont already have saved a.4cdn.org/g/thread/58428899.json

option 2 (you may pick up some cheesy pizza)
find active threads that need updating a.4cdn.org/g/threads.json
you will pick up stuff that get deleted

I'm a WebApp Developer, and I support mobile devices.

You're retarded for not jumping on the bandwagon; for not profiting like I am.

I'll just press F12 and set the resolution, much cheaper and lets me change resolutions instead of using a fixed one.

I'm trying to compare the Etag of a file so that it would only download an update if the file did not have the same Etag. However when I send the request I'm getting not only the header but the full file as well.

Using curl also pulls not only the header but the rest of the file:

curl -i -H "If-None-Match: \"correct etag\"" s3.amazonaws.com/file.extension

I just want the header only. What am I doing wrong?

whats wrong with starting angular 2? I'm taking a course in angular 2 development and its going well

That's all nice and great. But sometimes you actually need to see the app on the real device. See what it is actually going to look like. Feel the device vibrate when the samples are collected. Test the swipe gestures. All that good stuff.

Besides, how're you going to test the gyroscope or the gps on a desktop?

You need an actual tablet for that shit.

I don't do shit for no reason. If I say I need a tablet, it is because I do.

How is nodejs doing, is it still relevant? I'm thinking about getting deep into javascript for fullstack development.

curl -I s3.amazonaws.com/file.extension

Not sure why the server isn't respecting the If-None-Match header.

But you could always try using "HEAD" instead of GET/POST.

curl -i -s --head "URL"

Okay that curl works. The problem is I was using curl for a sanity check as my actual program requests it using HEAD and that's what's pulling the extra junk as well. So how do I turn make that request get the same result as that curl?

[$code]
"HEAD /file.extension HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: s3.amazon.com\r\n If-None-Match: \"etag\"\r\n\r\n"
[$/code]

I just unironically delegated some of my work to pajeets.
They did a sufficient job in five times the speed I'd do it.

Wait I just double checked and while I only get the header I also get a 200 code either way if the Etag is the same or not. Wut

curl -i -s --head "If-None-Match: \"Etag\"" URL

yes because i need gyro and gps for my webapp. very important feature. worth $400 brand new tablet

it's not a Sup Forums indexer, just a regular forum