/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous: Any questions that don't need their own thread can be asked here.
Use the catalog first and don't forget to google/duck it.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Web_browsers
sourceforge.net/projects/briss/
stackoverflow.com/questions/824234/what-is-a-callback-function
git-scm.com/docs/git-config#git-config-difftool
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I printed some web pages to PDF and there's the date and url written on every page. Is it possible to remove them from all pages with a script? I didn't know this was a browser-dependent thing.

How do I use grep to exclude patterns in standard output from find rather than in the files themselves?

Basically I want to stop every "Permission denied" line from getting outputted.

What is the actual address used to ssh into remote computers called?

When using ipconfig/ifconfig, several come up. IPv4, inet, inet6, public address, local address etc.

What are the differences?

Should I replace all my case fans with Noctuas? It would be 2 x 92mm and 1 x 140mm. Included fans are pretty quiet and they have no problem cooling my computer, but I want it to be dead silent.

What is the Sup Forums approved web browser?

That ain't standard output, that's stderr. You'll simply want to use 2>/dev/null to supress error messages. Alternatively, 2>&1 then pipe to grep.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Web_browsers

Thanks guy who posted 'Sudo apt-get install dialog' in last thread that fixed it :^)

So, my cousin give me a iMac 5G, should I install ubuntu or just drop this shit to the trash?

Found a way: sourceforge.net/projects/briss/
I can just crop all pages of the PDF file.

>256MB RAM
>ubuntu
No way in hell that is gonna work. If you actually want to use it for some reason, you're going to have to find something way more lightweight than Ubuntu... that also has PowerPC support... I don't really have any real distro recommendation for you since PowerPC is largely abandoned now. Try Debian, maybe?

I got this old HDD Sup Forums. It come from an old laptop of mine which died 4yrs ago from mobo trauma whilst I think it was writing data with a PVR running.
With picture provided I have it hooked up in and ext HDD box. The (G:) Partition is where the data that I want to recover is. In diskmgmt G comes up as a RAW partition. But when using testdisk_win it shows it as a RAW partition whilst photorec_win shows it as an NTFS partition.

Can I put this in a PC and boot it into windows? Would I need a Win image to perform recovery?
If not, am I safe to try and recovery whatever I need from this partition?
>fyi I've not done anything like this before

My HDD is busted

I'm planning on getting an SSD this time around for my OS.

Anything I should know before doing this?

and is replacing a hard drive as easy as it was installing it?

So is a Btrfs subvolume essentially a mountable directory?

pretty much

He didn't say how much RAM his has. Depending on the model it can be maxed at 2GiB to 2.5GiB

Dualboot Mac OS X Tiger and OpenBSD, configure Classic in Tiger.

>but I want it to be dead silent.
acoustic padding/sound canceling foam of some kind you can stick in your case

Is there a chart or list of the best Android apps for various things? E.g. music player, launcher, pdf reader...

who is this hug bug

Yakui, an old mascot for 420chan

Just found out about mozilla rebranding itself. Does it mean anything concretely, or is it just a desperate "W-We're still relevant, guise! Bazinga!" attempt?

Why I can't remove underlines in Firefox? I activated it once and now it's permanent, I can't turn it off anymore (already tried restarting the browser and cleaning the caches).
There're underlines everywhere.

I have a chromecast and an old dell monitor that has a VGA and DVI-D input

Can either of these receive audio from HDMI-adapter? Getting useless mixed messages on abandoned threads.

Is 4 years of daily use enough time for a HDD to start failing? I tried installing a game on steam but I got an error which directed me to do an error check on my HDD which has been going on for a few hours. Worth getting a new one now before it dies?

Is there an up to date place that lists all the sites I need to block to block or at slow down the telemetry on win10 with my hosts file? I know I can just switch to linux but I don't know if my laptop would still work

I know DVI is compatible with HDMI video but I don't know about audio. If anything you can pick up a little HDMI DAC, I didn't look too hard but I saw ones as cheap as ~$35

Noctua are surprisingly quiet

Whats the point of a callback? Based on this definition

>stackoverflow.com/questions/824234/what-is-a-callback-function

It seems like its just a method of ensuring another function is called at the end of a prior function. But arent there much simpler ways of doing that? whats the advantage of passing the second function as an argument to the first?

Yes. 3-5 years is the dying point, if it doesn't die after that, you've got a drive that probably won't die. Get a new drive (pref. SSD) and clone to it.

>Anything I should know before doing this?
>and is replacing a hard drive as easy as it was installing it?
Yes, replacing HDD w/ SSD is just as easy as installing. You don't really need to know much. You can clone your current HDD to SSD if it's big enough.

ipv4/6 is the internet address. This is like the address on your house, but for your computer. However, if you're on a LAN/WLAN, your IP will only be for the LAN (e.g. 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x,) and your router will have the 'real' outside IP.

So, the whole point of a callback is exactly what you said: ensuring another function is called at the end. They're mostly useful in asynchronous (non-blocking) programming.

For example:

Non-callback, synchronous:
sleep(1); //waits a second
foo(); //calls foo

Callback, asynchronous:
sleep(1, foo()); //sleeps for 1s, calls foo

Non-callback, asynchronous:
sleep(1); //'sleeps', doesn't do anything really, since no callback.
foo(); //executed immediately, no sleep.

So, for a practical, real world example, say you're coding something in javascript:

loadPage(); //takes some time (500ms?)
alert("Done loading!"); //executes instantly, since JS is asynchronous by design

In order to do what you want, you have to do something like this:
loadPage(myAlertDoneFunction); //loads page, then calls alert(...).

This ensures that alert will ONLY be called at the END of the loadPage function, and not WHILE the page is loading. Hope that makes sense.

windowed slideshow
annoying when they're fullscreen and i want to still do things

tl;dr it's basically how to do synchronous (blocking) programming in an asynchronous (nonblocknig) language.

What the actual fuck?

family. There's no windowed slideshow image viewers

Not that guy but neat, learned something new

Was kind of a challenge to explain, but tutoring experience helps. Love a challenge.

Passively cool your PC. Only way for it to be completely silent.

No. HDMI was specifically designed because DVI doesn't include audio.

There's thousands of such lists, you clearly didn't search well enough.

maybe, HDMI signals can be run over a DVI connector, but it requires special support for anything but the video

I have a Nexus 6p. What do I need (cable or adaptor) to be able to output it's display to a computer monitor?

Research using chromecast on smartphone.

So I just upgraded to Debian Stretch and the display manager starts but I just get kicked back to gdm when I login and it tries to load GNOME, any suggestions?

Thanks for the response user. I'm just starting to learn C. Just to clarify, I always assumed that if you call a function in C and then another function immediately after (like the Non-callback, synchronous example) it always only triggers the second function when finished with the first. Is that wrong? Can I actually call a function I wrote and then have the program continue along past it while the function is still in the middle of running?

What's a decent 13-14 inch lappy to purchase for ~1000 american dollarydoos or under?

couple of things from a first time build:
1. MAY have bent some pins on the mobo' processor port. I assume i can straighten these myself instead of sending it in to be replaced.
2. does the case's integral fans need to be hooked up to the mobo, or just power?
3. what if the case's chord doesn't reach the mobo? two or three inches off.

did read the sticky and the manuals, just am making first time errors.

>american dollarydoos
wat

like australian dollarydoos but they have trump's face on them

I was hoping for a physical solution for security reasons (don't want my phone connected to my workstation).

>1. MAY have bent some pins on the mobo' processor port. I assume i can straighten these myself instead of sending it in to be replaced.
if you're careful, which you aren't since you managed to bend them in the first place
>2. does the case's integral fans need to be hooked up to the mobo, or just power?
just power is fine, you'll only be missing out on software fan speed readings and control
>3. what if the case's chord doesn't reach the mobo? two or three inches off.
i have not personally come across a mobo/case combination where this has happened, are you sure they aren't just cable tied or something?

>if you call a function in C and then another function immediately after (like the Non-callback, synchronous example) it always only triggers the second function when finished with the first.
Correct.

>Can I actually call a function I wrote and then have the program continue along past it while the function is still in the middle of running?
2 methods: multithreading or efficient programming.

Multithreading:
startThread(foo);
startThread(bar);
sleep(9999);
//foo, bar, both running at same time.

Smart programming:
Say you have to sort an array.

while(notsorted(array1) and notsorted(array2)) {
sort(array1); //sort a small amount of elements -- not the whole array.
sort(array2); //^
}

The 2nd example is similar to multitasking (i.e., how you can play 2 videos at once on your computer.) Truly, only one sort is happening at a time. However, since the functions are small and quick, it seems like they are both occurring at once.

Search for /tpg/

Don't know what to tell you, sorry.

about positive, I can peer in again but I was really fiddling with it before. Needing to be plugged into the power and mobo is gonna be tricky.
Also taking the mobo out is gonna be fun.
How will i know if i'm forcing the processor in, it seems like there'd be no way to tell when everything is so tiny.

Also, I should note, if you're doing multithreading (1st ex) in C, you'll want to be careful about race conditions. Essentially, if you have something like:

int x = 0;
createThread(intenseMath(x));
createThread(intenseMath(x));

You'll run into a race condition. This is because you have a multicore CPU. In laymans terms, since both CPUs are accessing 'x' at the same time, the number will become a random value.

Why? I don't actually know, but I'm assuming it has to do with circuitry. Both CPUs try to access the same RAM cell, which ends up creating some form of electrical short (direct connection between CPUs via memory lanes,) which ends up storing a random value in x.

Oh, and to avoid this, you'll want to use unlocking and locking, or use another variable (y; preferred.)

locking/unlocking is vital to safe multithreading, however there are limitations (deadlock, etc.)

i haven't installed any modern intel cpus, but i assumed they're the same as amd ones in that the cpu should just drop into the slot with zero force

it will also be keyed so it only drop in completely by itself in one orientation

Some addon is creating this code to force underlines (socialwidgets.css is unrelated, created by privacy badger). How do I find what addon is doing this?
Debugger and console show nothing, completely empty (tested in about:blank).

sweet. I guess trying to fix the mobo is a priority, though when i plugged in the power source and tried to power on nothing happened. prolly wired the on button wrong.

disable 1 at a time

>been using tightvnc and x11vnc to connect my windows pc to my linux laptop for months because I'm a lazy shit
>suddenly not working
>will sometimes connect but get some "socket" failure
>can't even get it to connect at all
Why?! Nothing has changed, to my knowledge. What are some things I should check for? I think it's x11 that's causing the issue.

it won't do anything without a cpu installed

not even run the integral fans? i figured as much.
thanks for the spoonfeeds mate

IP change? Is the port open? Test using netcat or nmap.

>30 addons

Thanks user! You've been a great help!

No problem, always glad to help people that are learning. Off to bed now. If you get lucky I might be in another /sqt/ thread.

IP is the same. Port should be open but let me try those two.

Whenever I try to use a live USB to run arch or debian, or pretty much anything other than mint and Ubuntu, I get some nouveau error. For arch I get the error as soon as it reads the usb, and debian gives me the error upon selecting live 64 bit. How can i fix it?

All right these two might actually be a bit too advanced for my stupidity, but I'll give them a try still.

is there an easier way to have seperate wallpapers for my dual monitor setup while runnin windows 7 without stitching together one bighuge picture?

Why is the newer one cheaper?

Yes, get a program called display fusion

Think the wiki has one

Anyone know a simple way to overclock a Qnix monitor (Nvidia GPU) if I'm using Linux and I'm a complete pleb when it comes to terminal? I have it set up fine on Windows but I don't know what I'm doing with terminal.

because intel never changes price of old processors.

I am writing a list containing 10 ideas daily.

Have you thought of any interesting ideas (doesn't have to be a business or science breakthrough, more like 'start using liquid soap instead of bars of soap for hygeine'

I've been having this problem for months and have tried countless solutions offered online to no avail.

CPU: AMD FX-6100

8GB RAM

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 380

Small SSD with the operating system and a larger HDD.

Windows 7 64x

Videos will freeze for a moment until they freeze entirely, forcing me to reset it if I want to get it going again. The internet is just entirely fucked and is driving me crazy. Nothing else on my network is having this problem. Usually running a diagnose will fix it but it could be hours to literally seconds until it needs to be fixed again.

I think the problem may be related to the SSD and HDD system I have, but I have no idea.

I have win10 dual booted with mint in grub, and I accidentally destroyed my mint install. Installing debian to try it out- the installer asks if I want to install grub to the MBR (already done) and detects win10 as windows vista. Install it or not?

if i have files like
my chemical romance - burn down a church with love.mp3
taylor swift - and then he blacked me.mp3

is there a GNU/Linux app that enters the string before the dash into the artist id3 field and the string after as title?

I know there are plenty of ID3 command line editors and it wouldn't be hard to do this yourselves, but i guess some geek already have coded it

picture unrelated

trying to troubleshoot an issue with git, i'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction

On my desktop, running "git diff" just outputs the results to stdout. This is how I would expect it to work. On an alpine linux docker image that I am developing on, however, "git diff" seems to open the results in some sort of editor that I don't recognise. This is causing me some problems. Anyone know how I might be able to change this behaviour?

thanks

fuck me
Grub unknown filesystem error
Dual booting win10 and mint, seems to have come out of nowhere
Can it be fixed without a live USB because I can't make one for a while

git-scm.com/docs/git-config#git-config-difftool

>GNU/Linux app

do everyone a favor and gb2/windows or mac/

2/10 if bait, made me reply

>Controls which diff tool is used by git-difftool[1]

I'm not using 'git diff-tool', i'm using 'git diff'. As far as I know, they are different commands for different purposes. I may well be wrong though, so I'll do some tests now. Thanks user.

I'm currently running a Debian server on my Xeon E3-1240v3 equipped SuperMicro board in my living room, with QEMU/KVM installed for VMs, primarily for separate servers for games, and to serve with GPU passthrough to a Windows 8.1 VM for a media center attached to my home theatre.

I'm thinking of moving to a pure hypervisor OS, mainly Proxmox because the containers method for certain applications would work better for applications that are native to Linux already, like Plex (which I use on the host OS right now)

How would I go about making a shared pool of storage for all my containerized applications like Plex, Bittorrent Sync, Samba, etc on a setup like that? I only have a single 3TB hard disk in there at the moment, will RAID mirror it later. I'm just confused as to how to allow each container to write to a single shared storage area as I do already. Basically Plex, Samba, and Bittorrent Sync all read from a single directory which I have subdirectories in. Not sure how to allow each container access to this. Just use bind mounts or something?

Also, should I install Promox to a flash drive instead and boot it from that, and then create LVM partitions for the VMs and the shared pool?

So, i have this old-ish Sony Vaio laptop that uses AMD Radeon hd 7650m as dedicated video card and Intel Pentium b980 as CPU. Recently, i think my Radeon video card died, when i install any drivers for it i get flickering black screen with some artefacts and the PC is unusable unless i go in safe mode and uninstall all the drivers. This way, i can at least use the laptop for browsing internet/watching videos, but just in 1024x768 resolution. I can even play some old video games like Diablo II or Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 without any problems, but when i install something even slightly newer i get huge FPS drops(i tried Warcraft 3, it runs with around 10 fps). My idea was, since apparently my CPU support Intel HD graphics, to just use it as a main "video card", but for some reason i cant isntall any drivers for it, i get the error "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software". Any help would be greatly appreciated lads

Bash scripting and ffmpeg are your friend.

Something like
for file in *.mp3
do
artist=${file%%-*}
echo $artist
done

should print the artist. Too lazy to look up the ffmpeg commands now but I'm pretty sure that would work.

I'm new at Linux and I want to install the DRM-Free version of VA-11 Hall A.
How do I do ?
There's that file "runner" in the linux_content folder that I can't run.

Ok I got curious myself and I think I'm close

#!/bin/bash
for file in *.mp3
do
artist=${file%%-*}

song=${file#*-}
song=${song%%.mp3}

echo $artist
echo $song

ffmpeg -i $file -metadata artist="$artist" title="$song" $file
done

but it doesn't work because the artist and title have spaces.

Could someone tell me how I get another set of quotes around the variables in my ffmpeg call? I tried
"\"$artist\""

but that didn't work.

>but it doesn't work because the artist and title have spaces.
Strange, using quotes once should be enough. But anyway
>Could someone tell me how I get another set of quotes around the variables in my ffmpeg call?
Use single quotes, like '"$artist"'

Well why can't you run it? Have you tried chmod +x runner && ./runner?

Usually no. Devices to extract the audio and pass video straight through do exist, as do HDMI to VGA or DVI converters that also have an analogue audio output

Well I just checked and it seems i'm missing the libraries to run the game !
Thanks m8

Tried switching off the dedicated card in BIOS if it has the option? Oldish laptops don't always, if so you may be stuck with the barely working dedicated card.

nope, VAIO BIOS is fucking dogshit and really restricted

guess im screwed, i might try to open the laptop today and bake the card in the oven for a few minutes, it might help

>Strange, using quotes once should be enough.
I thought so too but I guess the command ends up like
... artist=artist with spaces title=...

which obviously can't work.

Doesn't work with single quotes either.

You'd help yourself a lot by telling us what error you're getting, or even better, searching for that error on Google.

Boot to a Live version of your favorite Linux OS (or use UBCD if you want Windows), and see if the problem persists there. If it doesn't, reinstall Windows. If it does, you have a hardware problem.

Windows Vista implimented the NT60 version of the bootloader, previously it was NT58. If you already have grub you can reconfigure it from Debian and don't need to rewrite it.

If it can't, you have a hardware problem. Does your disk register reallocated sectors in S.M.A.R.T (use gsmartcontrol or crystaldiskinfo to find out)?

I'm making a portable screen/SBC

I want to make it battery powered

Can I just connect up a bunch of rechargeable AAs and use that? What are the drawbacks or dangers?

I get a segmentation fault here, why? I need to divide 1million letters in words of 8.

>hard coded paths

But quoting variables is done to solve this exact problem.
$artist gets substituted with artist with spaces, but the quotes don't get touched. So "$artist" should return "artist with spaces"

Try running your script with echo at the beginning of the ffmpeg line, to see what it's doing.

I cannot get bloody debian to work.
>Install from debian live CD
>Endlessly wait for "loading, please wait"
>Install it from install net USB
>"Loading please wait... /Dev/sda6: clean, xxxx/xxx files, xxxx/xxxx blocks"

What's a good starting point to improve DBA skills? I only have a basic understanding of databases, SQL isn't the problem here, but stuff like troubleshooting performance issues, indexing and all that jazz is kinda foreign to me.