/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part IV: boards.Sup Forums.org/wg/thread/6828207/
Part III: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6785580/
Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

supershigi.com/forums/index.php?topic=888.0
cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-ze2000-customizable-notebook-pc/specs/
wiki.winehq.org/MIDI#Using_MIDI_in_Wine
fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1734277
rubygems.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

strings
Useful to find printable strings in binaries.

This example prints the hidden insults from sudo:

strings /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so | grep -A51 Dave

Is it true that it's harder to install Linux on Kaby Lake machines?

How can i make a Kali USB that can be used in any PC to boot Kali?

Why are you niggers still pushing the GNU namescheme?

Because freedom matters.

Is there any real reason to keep coming to Sup Forums?

This thread. I don't even bother browsing the catalog anymore.

This thread is the only reason I'm still coming to Sup Forums everyday.

Other boards I frequent like /n/ and /diy/ are so slow I can digest everything interesting posted there and not have to come back until next week.

So you know why I'm so assblasted when Sup Forumsedditors come and shit in it for their own entertainment.

Obscure commands, post 'em.

No, not even this thread yet I still come back. Maybe the networking thread? Sup Forums is absolutely terrible.

tac

Like cat, but reversed.

Meant to quote:

How do I change distro without having to reinstall all my programs and settings?

keep /home during installation

Could you go a bit more in depth?

What version of Ubuntu is KDE Neon based off now, 16.04.1 or 16.10?

keep /home during installation

During the installation of a new distro keep the partition called /home untouched.

In linux all relevant files are in /home. Everything else is easily replacible garbage.

/etc isnt
hours fucking about with settings isnt "easily replaceable"

copy any config files that you need into a temporary directory in /home and when you reinstall the programs under your new distro, copy and overwrite the default configs with the ones from your old distro.

/etc keeps system-wide configuration files.

Which may be different in every distro.
Trying to fit old system-wide configs into a completely different distribution completely defeats the purpose of distrohopping.

If possible any changes to the configuration of software should be done on a per-user basis.

Will I lose files on my hdd if I partition it for dualboot?
Could anyone help me find resources on how to setup dualboot with uefi? I have already looked at arch-wiki.

Download kali-image and dd to flashdrivr.

Yeah no
Its going to function the same way it did on any other distro, sans symlinks.
Your networkmanager/mpd/ntp/XXX configs are going to be identical across the distros.

Modularity, look it up

So I've installed gentoo, now what? Working on getting Firefox to install, but what wm/de should I use? Leaning towards my favorite, xfce

>i installed a distro without any clue whatsoever what to use it for
ebun

where do i buy such a retard?

Is there a way to get a global menu bar in GNOME on Debian?

have you tried looking for gnome addons?

Hey guys, somewhat recently I accidentally the whole hdd, and til I can get a new one I've been running Linux Mint (Cinnamon) on a USB stick

Anyways, I'm impressed with the stuff Linux has, the downside is that a lot of stuff need to be installed manually and there's tons of technical aspects which flies over my head.

Recently I've decided to pass the time playing RPGMaker games (like Yume Nikki, Ib, etc, etc), and I followed this guide to get it working, after installing Wine and updating it to v1.8: supershigi.com/forums/index.php?topic=888.0

So far I'm doing fine, except the BGM files won't play, since it's in MIDI. I've checked the installgentoo and archlinux wikis and installed timidity with freepats, but still nothing, anyone have any ideas?

Also, this is a secondary problem, but games made in the "WOLF RPG editor" (One Way Heroics, etc) are also incapable of playing bgm or music, and since there's not "Music" folder for games made in this engine, I can't verify if they're stored in .mid format.

tl;dr: Playing games through WIne, BGM won't play because it's in MIDI, wut do? Really new to this so just pointing me to a page won't really help much, pls hand hold

install your favourite then why would you can about what strangers suggest

One more thing, would running the games through PlayOnLinux work instead without any problems? If anyone's tried it before I'll gladly switch to it instead of using Wine.

winehq reports sound as not working

playonlinux is a management software for wine, it's not different from wine it just makes managing multiple wine profiles/versions easier

stop avatarfagging

Which keyboard layout should I use for the Ducky Shine 3? Raspbian has many choices, but for other brands such as Apple, Microsoft, and Logitech.

it's a standard us 104 keyboard

intl 105 keyboard has alt-gr instead of r-alt

I haven't found anything. Googling it only shows up things for Ubuntu where it seems to be using Unity's global menus in GNOME

the additional x86 keys should work regardless of layout.

Is the second one XF86Terminal?

>I haven't found anything.
See how much time would it save you?

Make one.

Fuck that, I'll just switch to a DE that already can.

What does /fglt/ use CAPS_LOCK for?

Caps Lock

locking dem caps

How can I enable bash completion for program options?

I have bash-completions already. I don't have an single /etc/bash_completion file but I do have a dir with dbus-bash-completion.sh fcoeadm fcoemon icedteaweb-completion lldpad lldptool quilt redefine_filedir scl-completion.bash in. My bashrc file in /etc/ also has nothing about completions in it.

I'm My main problem is that my alt keys weren't working for the regular web browsing shortcuts, but I think that had less to do with the layout and more with the option to do alt-gr using "both alt keys" that I overlooked. I set alt-gr to "none/no alt-gr" and my keys work now. Thanks!

(Tbh I didn't know about alt-gr before now.)

[[ -f "/etc/bash_completion" ]] && source "/etc/bash_completion"

we learn everyday

I've been using manjaro for a little while but predictably something has broken since the last update and new xorg version. Getting tired of this, starting to seem not worth the effort.
Should I go back to Neon?

>explain gnu in 1 word

m m m m m m m
m o o o o o o m
m o d d d d d o m
m o d e e e e d o m
m o d e e e e e d o m
m o d e e r r e e d o m
m o d e e r F r e e d o m
m o d e e r r e e d o m
m o d e e e e e d o m
m o d e e e e d o m
m o d d d d d o m
m o o o o o o m
m m m m m m m

I'm thinking about installing a distro in my main PC, but I haven't used linux since KDE 4.0 was new and so unstable it was unusable. What has changed since then, and what would be a good distro for someone who wants something that werks without too much tinkering but it's not ubuntu-tier computer illiterate?

ubuntu or derivatives

stop trying to appear cool because your particular linux flavour has a different logo that appears when you run screenfetch

noone
fucking
cares

if you want a distro that works and doesn't require tinkering
Ubuntu fucking LTS

kde neon

Isn't ubuntu an amazon botnet nowadays? Also gnome looked too "childish" to me back then, I'll check out if it has changed now. I don't care about being "cool" user, I was just memeing.

I'll check it out, thanks user.

Bumping my question.

what does your script do

whats a very light wm?

dwm, cwm

What do you mean startup? That usually means you want to run something once when your computer first starts up.
But it sounds almost like you want to run it every time you open a terminal window. So which is it?

strace

Ever asked yourself WTF IS HAPPENING? strace will tell you.

What the fuck happens when you replace some text in a file with sed -i?

$ echo foo > somefile
$ strace sed -i 's/foo/bar/' somefile

You see, it creates a randomly named temp file and when finished, it overwrites the original with it.

What OS would be best for a laptop with 512mb of RAM
Here's the rest specs:cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-ze2000-customizable-notebook-pc/specs/

puppy

PlayOnLinux also uses install scripts that go stale very quickly.

I've had games fail when using Wine via PlayOnLInux whereas the same game would work just fine with vanilla Wine...

MIDI support via is convoluted as fuck.

wiki.winehq.org/MIDI#Using_MIDI_in_Wine

damn small linux, and if you do not care about the initial install labour then gentoo

>pata interface
you gonna have a bad time on anything

Why aren't any games for gentoo stable?
I just wanna play 0ad

How do I use libinput to emulate a scroll wheel?

fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1734277

What rolling release distro are (You) using, Sup Forums?

(4U)
obviously gen2

>natural scrolling/reverse scrolling
Sorry, but that's not quite what I meant.
Before having to use libinput, I could hold down my middle click button and move pages up and down via trackball.

How do I do this with libinput?

Rate my uptime dick, post yours.
uptime | perl -nE '/p (\d+)/;say+8,"="x$1,D'

will this delete system32?

IO have a home computer not a server why would I have so much uptime? I only leave my NAS on if it's torrenting otherwise that gets shutdown when I'm not around too.

found the shorty

Y-you're leaving your computer alone? ;_;

pretty much this they're the only ones i can really stand

>mfw using the terminal all the time to do things in debian but it's mostly copy pasting from forums and I'm learning nothing

install gentoo

>I only leave my NAS on if it's torrenting otherwise that gets shutdown when I'm not around too.

Dude you don't automate your downloads?

wow, how did you made that your tripcode is a word??? look pretty cool to be honest

forgot to ask: what's with these chinese(?) characters? do they have a deeper meaning? pls respond

nah I don't follow enough currently airing things to worry about it.

my poor little NAS has 2x 4 year old wd greens in it. the old girl needs needs a break every now and then. soon she'll rest forever too but we try not to think about that.

Roughly translated it means "I have severe autism". I could be wrong

I'm also interested. Looks pretty 1337.

thats "hexspeak", the language hackers are speaking

holy crap
p-please dont hack me

Anyone?

I have USB headset that I'd like to have set as the default device when it's plugged into my arch laptop.
As it is now, I have to set it as the default device manually so that when I press the volume up/down keys the audio going to the headset is affected rather than the onboard speakers.

does anyone know what I need to do to make this happen? Also, is there a way for me to set the onboard speakers as the default device once I've unplugged the headset?

In my file manager, my .torrent files are of the type: Unknown. I'm positive that before they were of the type Bitttorent Seed or something like that. How do I change that? I know about mime types but have no idea how to change it.

Help!

gen2

I've spent the last few days mucking around in Debian using apt-get. apparently aptitude is b better when used in the command line with it's autoremoval of uneeded dependencies and whatnot. Is it fine to just start using aptitude? or should I start over?

So I just updated my system and Infinality seems to have been removed from Arch for reasons unknown which has somehow completely broken my GTK theme and icon theme. I've uninstalled everything to do with Infinality and removed the repo from pacman.conf, to no avail, so I had to uninstall my GTK and icon themes because trying to switch to them wasn't having any effect at all. But now when I try to build the GTK theme (Numix) I'm getting this:
/usr/lib/ruby/2.4.0/rubygems/dependency.rb:308:in `to_specs': Could not find 'sass' (>= 0.a) among 13 total gem(s) (Gem::MissingSpecError)
Checked in 'GEM_PATH=/home/myusername/.gem/ruby/2.4.0:/usr/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0', execute `gem env` for more information
from /usr/lib/ruby/2.4.0/rubygems/dependency.rb:320:in `to_spec'
from /usr/lib/ruby/2.4.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_gem.rb:65:in `gem'
from /usr/bin/scss:22:in `'
make: *** [Makefile:17: css] Error 1
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in package().
Aborting...
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build numix-themes-archblue-git.
==> Restart building numix-themes-archblue-git ? [y/N]

Anyone know how to fix this shit? I don't know how Infinality could've even caused this.

>execute `gem env` for more information

>Could not find 'sass' (>= 0.a) among 13 total gem(s)

Looks like it's missing a dependency.

Oh great, and the fucking icon theme which did actually build properly is still not working. What the fuck.

This might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back and drives me to another distro.

All I get is:
RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 2.6.8
- RUBY VERSION: 2.4.0 (2016-12-24 patchlevel 0) [x86_64-linux]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0
- USER INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /home/myusername/.gem/ruby/2.4.0
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/bin/ruby
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/bin
- SPEC CACHE DIRECTORY: /home/myusername/.gem/specs
- SYSTEM CONFIGURATION DIRECTORY: /etc
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86_64-linux
- GEM PATHS:
- /usr/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0
- /home/myusername/.gem/ruby/2.4.0
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- "gem" => "--user-install"
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- rubygems.org/
- SHELL PATH:
- /usr/local/sbin
- /usr/local/bin
- /usr/bin
- /usr/bin/site_perl
- /usr/bin/vendor_perl
- /usr/bin/core_perl

Doesn't seem to tell me anything about the error.

That was the problem. I had to install ruby-sass from the AUR.

Okay, so the Numix GTK theme builds fine now and works, but the icon theme, as I mentioned before, isn't working at all. When I try switching to it, nothing happens.

Any ideas?