/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

slickdeals.net/f/9691952-lenovo-110-15isk-15-6-laptop-i3-6100u-4gb-ddr4-1tb-hdd-win-10-224-99-w-visa-checkout-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
slickdeals.net/f/9661228-350-acer-aspire-e-15-intel-core-i3-7100u-kaby-lake-15-6-1080p-laptop-4gb-1tb?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
haruhichan.com/forum/showthread.php?7545-KCP-Kawaii-Codec-Pack),
cccp-project.net/
amazon.com/review/R3P5H3WR19YJSN/ref=ask_dp_lswr_rp_hza
mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul
osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html
techsupportalert.com/content/how-find-out-which-windows-process-using-file.htm
tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Well I would suggest bringing windows fully up to date before installing "Intel USB 3.0 Driver".

You might also try enabling "XHCI Hand-off" in bios.

yo there is a safe version of stylish right?
one that doesn't sell my shit?
what is it called?

Can I turn my laptop into a wired controller for my ps3?
My brother is using my ps3 controller for his system and I want to play with mine.
I have a laptop running Ubuntu 16.04. Is there some way to make the ps3 recognize input from my laptop as a contoller? I know I can use some 3rd-party controllers with both ps3 and PCs, so these technologies have gotta be compatible somehow.

I have a male-to-male USB cord I made that I can use to connect them.

Why they don't do a graphical installation of gentoo ?

Something tells me it's because I hadn't updated windows from the 2009 version on the disk
I'll do another system restore and give it a shot

Need to advice lady friend on laptop... Only browsing movie watching and office. Budget max 300 dollars, needs to 15 inch. What's my advice

Rufus got frozen while making a linux USB. Now the USB itself seems pretty fucked. Linux fdisk shows it as having sdc1, 7.6gb f as well as sdc5, 7.6gb b. The drive is 8gb. It fails to mount whenever I put it in the PC.

Can a raspberry pi3 run

Deluge Torrentbox
Samba Fileserver
Owncloud

at the same time?

Or am i asking for too much?

I'm using my laptop to view movies on my TV through HDMI. I bitstream Dolby Digital AC3 and DTS to my reciever.

However, the Intel audio device is not capable of bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD to the reciever. Thus I would like to send it as LPCM audio to the reciever instead.
When I attempt to play a movie with DTS-HD, Media Player Classic just falls back to bitstreaming the standard DTS audio instead of sending DTS-HD as a LPCM signal.

What am I doing wrong?
I have disabled DTS-HD bitstreaming in MPC-HC but allowed bitstreaming of standard DTS since I can bitstream that normally.

Are you saying it doesn't mount in windows?

How come iGPUs are developing so fast, with AMD even claiming the new Ryzen APUs will be capable of "PS4 grade graphics", all on a tiny little die, together with a CPU, and at a ridiculously low TDP, and graphics cards are still huge and have such a big power consumption?

PS4 grade graphics my ass. Onboard has come a long way, but it's still light years away from current gen dedicated cards

>and graphics cards are still huge and have such a big power consumption?
Because they're so much more powerful than igpus? And dedicated cards have gotten far more efficient over time similar as igpus. A 1080 only has like 180W tdp

you can literally get 30fps easily at 1080p with onboard graphics nowadays

Every time I export this track in audacity, it plays fine, but the last 24 seconds of the track can't be seeked through, if you try it just goes to the orange part, then continues playing through normally.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I can't even work out what to search for to get meaningful results on google.

I'm trying to connect a third screen two my PC. I have two atteched to my graphics card, and I want to attach the third one to the onboard VGA. I went into the BIOS and enabled SurroundView, which should to use integrated graphics and graphics card at the same time, and I see both devices in the device manager. But I can't get third screen to work. When I go to the Windows 7 screen resolution menu, it shows a VGA device, but when I choose any option other than disconnect or remove this display, I get an error message "Unable to save display settings". Any idea what to do? Do I need a second graphics card to use more than two screens?

>Lappy-T refuses to read my flash drives or external HDD
>Won't tether to android

USB ports themselves don't seem to be damaged since my wireless mouse is working fine

how do I fix this

Depends on the settings and the game. You can do 4k video no problem. Being roughly in the same league as the PS4 classic isn't saying much anyway.

What's the lubricant in this shaver cleaning stuff? I want to refill it instead of buying a four pack every two years, but I don't know what's in it besides ethyl alcohol and fragrance. Does silicone lube dissolve in ethanol?

had to enable scripts and reload and forgot to select image again

Restarting the PC after changing system locale doesn't permanently alter any rar files or images does it?

To be honest I got a lot of doujins and files I don't want to lose saved, but Chaos;Head won't work properly with Applocale, it keeps going into not responding and I can't even click anything on the title screen

[spoiler]not Sup Forums but what is the games canon ending?[/spoiler]

Mobo model?

Does linux pick up the drives?

I have a smart TV and live in Europe, Netflix doesn't stream certain shows and movies here but does in the US.
Would a US proxy setup on the router make my TV appear to be from the US?
Also, is Netflix's traffic HTTP? if not, would that be a problem?

It's a ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO and my graphics card is a Radeon HD 6800

What's the catch

6800 isn't a specific card, it's a general range. But I notice the HD 6850 has 4 ports. You only have 2?

It only says "Intel Corp. Base Board Product Name (CPU1)"

Using Windows, but no. Tried doing chkdsk but nothing came of it.

anything with new i3/old i5 and ssd (used)

Try booting linux. If it can't pick up the drives, you have a hardware issue.

Someone please give me the tl;dr of sql-db like mysql vs. nosql-db like the mongoDB which i see in other threat, like pros/cons and stuff

literal who brand. hardware worth about that much, other features are just software based.

Yes it can.

But for fuck's sake, mini PCs exist outside of memeberry pi, look for something that is 1. stronger 2. not purely USB based 3. has a SATA port. Banana PI, cubieboard, edison etc.

A chroot on an old smartphone can do all that. Does OTG work with hard drives?

It has two DVI ports and HDMI. Can I just connect the third screen via HDMI?

Would it be correct to say Raspiss is not worthwhile if not using the pins?

I just looked it up on the AMD website and apparently it is not possible.

What's a good video game with a protagonist who looks like me by default?

Why did my PC crash when I touched the heat spreader on the RAM?

static shock

my diary desu

I want to learn python, can anyone recommend me a good IDE? I wanted a full IDE and not just a text editor

Kinda yes, raspi is better for automatization. For server-like usage (torrent box, media server, fileserver, ftp/http server) other bards that have
-SoC based ethernet (some has even gigabit. even if you cannot hit the 1000Mbit/sec, if you go above 100M it was worth it)
-SATA port for faster data transfer and cheaper storage
are better. Since we are talking about server software, you don't need the ebin raspi community for it, as configuring owncloud for example is done the same way as on a desktop, a virtual machine, a remove server and a dev board.

A minor thing, but most ARM dev boards work without proprietary bootloaders.

slickdeals.net/f/9691952-lenovo-110-15isk-15-6-laptop-i3-6100u-4gb-ddr4-1tb-hdd-win-10-224-99-w-visa-checkout-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

But I'd really push it up to $350 for improved graphics/resolution/battery, plus there's an M.2 slot so she could throw an SSD later if she gets the cash.

slickdeals.net/f/9661228-350-acer-aspire-e-15-intel-core-i3-7100u-kaby-lake-15-6-1080p-laptop-4gb-1tb?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

You could try changing your DNS or using a VPN, but netflix makes a point to try blacklisting proxies/VPNs to appease the media companies they contract with, so YMMV.

If it also has a Displayport you might be able to use that as a third screen with an adapter. Although that's not a lot of horsepower to go around either way. You might want to look into upgrading your rig if you plan on doing modern gaming that way.

WHy the fuck would you touch the ram while your computer is on?

my laptop suddenly cant connect to the internet using wifi and ethernet for a whole day. did everything i could and used my google searching skills to the max and nothing worked, then i stumble upon this system restore and worked like a charm. should i always use system restore when all else fails?

Haven't watched anime in a few years, just wondering what the best method of playback is nowadays. Does anyone still use mpc-hc and madvr, or is there something better?

It can be a big time saver. It's better to know what went wrong so you don't do it again, but if it's just a one-off problem and you haven't installed anything irreplaceable since your last point, knock your self out.

That's pretty much it. You can install the Klite codec pack and let it handle everything.

There's Kawaii codecpack(haruhichan.com/forum/showthread.php?7545-KCP-Kawaii-Codec-Pack), which basically auto installs MPC-HC and MadVR and configures it for you. I use it and despite a few bugs when I leave a player paused for hours, it's pretty great.

Some people prefer CCCP but I've never used it so I can't say much about it cccp-project.net/

cool kids today use mpv. Said to can achieve the same thing as mpchc+memevr but it's 100% free software.

mpc-hc still works, just not in active development.

smplayer supports both mplayer and mpv.

help please! I had 2.6 GB of free space on my computer. I torrented Season 1 of mash with was 4+GB intending to limit myself to one episode, once individual files could be checked off. I used transmission-gtk if that matters. My computer said it had ZERO space left. I deleted the torrent and files from transmission-gtk, and it says I only have 203.4 MiB. How do I find out where the rest of my 2.6GB mysterious get sucked by? I wasn't downloading anything else at the time.

Open My Computer, right click your disk, click properties, go to General tab, click disk cleanup, after its done loading, click to cleanup system files, after its done loading again, go to the second tab, delete system restore and shadow copies, it will probably freeze for a few seconds, then go to first tab, select everything and click ok

Well the third screen is meant to be just for internet TV basically. Will the Displayport be enough for that?

What's the Debian Linux equivalent of that?

I mean that putting 3 screens on an older card is a bit much, but if it's all video/browsing you should be fine. As for the displayport thing I was just going off of this

amazon.com/review/R3P5H3WR19YJSN/ref=ask_dp_lswr_rp_hza

What is the difference between Java and C++

hello

You should learn with an editor before using an IDE.

I need to write a greasemonkey script that changes the browser GUI css style (like stylish).
I tried // @include mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul
// @include chrome://browser/content/browser.xul but it seems it's not working. Any help?

While syntax is kinda similar, they are completely different. C++ is compiled to a specific system while java is interpreted by the java virtual machine, that way you can write it once and run in any OS that can run a JVM.

C++ uses pointers and java don't. C++ has multiple inheritance while java don't. There are hundreds of differences between the 2

Hmm, sorry man, I haven't used linux in a while, the only thing that comes to mind is BleachBit, which is basically CCleaner for Linux

What should I get instead of Raspi3?

It has to be cheap, energy efficient and silent.

something is absolutely fucked with my usb stick
gparted thinks it's fine but when i make a live usb in linux it boots to a grub command prompt
when opened in windows it thinks it's fat and has only one folder, efi

I'm currently running a Debian server on my Xeon E3-1240v3 equipped SuperMicro board in my living room, with QEMU/KVM installed for VMs, primarily for separate servers for games, and to serve with GPU passthrough to a Windows 8.1 VM for a media center attached to my home theatre.

I'm thinking of moving to a pure hypervisor OS, mainly Proxmox because the containers method for certain applications would work better for applications that are native to Linux already, like Plex (which I use on the host OS right now)

How would I go about making a shared pool of storage for all my containerized applications like Plex, Bittorrent Sync, Samba, etc on a setup like that? I only have a single 3TB hard disk in there at the moment, will RAID mirror it later. I'm just confused as to how to allow each container to write to a single shared storage area as I do already. Basically Plex, Samba, and Bittorrent Sync all read from a single directory which I have subdirectories in. Not sure how to allow each container access to this. Just use bind mounts or something?

Also, should I install Promox to a flash drive instead and boot it from that, and then create LVM partitions for the VMs and the shared pool?

Run this and choose Zero drive. Then reinsert it and format with windows.

osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html

A roommate is selling me a 1tb external drive (normal hdd + case) for a few bucks, it's possible he dropped it a couple of times but im certain it wasn't powered on if it happened at all. So should I? I know dropping a running drive means at least damaged sectors if it doesn't park head beforehand, most hard drive specsheets list something like 500g shock capable while off.

windirstat (or the Linux equivalent)

Pretty simple calculus question.

I'm used to area bounded by curves questions like:
>Find the area bounded by the curves y = x^2 - 4 and y = -x^2 - 2x

But I have the question:
>Find the area bounded by the curves y = x^2 - 4 and y = -x^2 - 2x when -3

Ask him to check it first and then run CrystalDiskInfo or any other tool that can check SMART parameters for faulty sectors

Do a sector check with a tool, probably something like Hiren's boot would have it.

Install crystal disk info with the disk plugged in and see what the history of the disk is. Gives you the "SMART data."

Yes, evaluate the indefinite integral, with the lower bound x=-3 and the higher bound x=1.

Not trying to convert you, but you might find FreeBSD jails interesting for compartmentalization and performance.

I ran a disk scanner program to check for large, unused files and to my surprise I found two 1.3GB .tmp files in one of my music folders. I have no idea what they are and why, since I cant upload them to virustotal how can I know if they're part of anything shady? or way to track what program accesses them? avg says theres nothing wrong with them. Last modification ocurred 12 days ago and they were created 2 years ago.

finished a build, everything is running (except for the CPU fan) but the monitor claims there is no input. plshelp

Assuming windows, get Process Explorer and try this:

techsupportalert.com/content/how-find-out-which-windows-process-using-file.htm

Your CPU fan isn't running? Don't try using until you do! That's likely the issue, and likely would cause worse issues than what you have now. I hope it's not borked.

how would it be borked? it is plugged in to the mobo

1) Your CPU needs cooling
2) Your CPU doesn't have a running fan
3) CPU gets hot = doesn't work

but WHY would it not be running? could the MOBO not have power? could the processor be damaged? what should i be fixing.

Ok thanks, and you mean definite integral right?

>techsupportalert.com/content/how-find-out-which-windows-process-using-file.htm
Thanks, yeah I thought about something like this but it only shows files currently being used by other programs. Nothing is using this file right now according to PE.

There could be a few different reasons.

Does your mobo have any lights on it showing it has power?

Do you have any electronics stuff to see if the fan works? i.e. can you give it a voltage source safely?

The problem may be your fan or your mobo or your CPU honestly. Why?

mobo doesn't have power or is broken = no power to CPU or fan
fan broken = no power, CPU may not even turn on due to protection circuitry
cpu broken = controls fan

Yep. You might want to see if you have a buddy who can feed a few volts to that fan with a battery and some wires.

It's been a few years, but probably. Just find the integral with the + C thing, then evaluate it from [-3, 1].

Move the file, don't delete it. See what happens. See if the timestamp is at the same as the creation date. Then, maybe you can catch the process in the act.

Is there a good book or resource for learning how to use linux, and bash. I like the idea of customization and what not but everything seems like a mess when it comes to using the terminal. A book or something? I've look on the wiki, but there really aren't any resources for getting to know your way around

Just go out and fucking do it.Thats the only way you're ever going to get anywhere

If crystaldiskinf comes up green you should be good. You can also run the extended tests with segate's Seatools to see if they pick up anything s.m.a.r.t. missed

Your CPU could burn up VERY quickly without a fan, so there's probably protection to keep it from starting without one. Either way I wouldn't go any further until that's resolved. If you connect a fan and are still having problems, go through this list thoroughly

tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Learn how to navigate using cd as good as you can with a file explorer.

Learn how to open programs

Learn how to edit files

Learn how to install programs (apt-get, yum, etc...)

Should start to come naturally after all that desu.

I'm searching, and have found resources, I just was wondering if there us a recommenced way. I'm sure I could poke around and just try different commands, but that's kind of... sloppy??

Most of that I can do. I guess I'm just over complicating things.

so my internet is terribly slow
speed tests online put me at about 8-10mb/s and about half that for upload

but my modem seems to think it's getting 48mb/s

is there something wrong here, or is the modem I got from my ISP just bullshitting me

Do you guys have led strips in your pcs? Can you recommend me some good ones? I need them to be red and magnetic.

whats the best way to full disk encrypt a windows os?

Then what else specifically do you want to do?

Has your internet ever gone faster than that?

Do you have anything else connected to the network?

Have you tried other test points on speed tests?

Have you tried an ISP speedtest? Some of them have that.

>sloppy
Wat?
You wont learn shit just reading 50 pages on what a command can do. Just figure out something you want to do/change and then fucking read up on how to do it,and then fucking do it.

Setup a server
Setup a multi user system
Fucking compile your own kernel
Just go do it

install linux

Why magnetic and not adhesive? Are you planning to move them frequently?

Just checked, seems good. Thanks.

well memed, friend
unfortunately the software i use at work is only compatible with windows

meme answer: use Wine to emulate the Windows app