Why no other distro has something like the AUR?

Why no other distro has something like the AUR?

Other urls found in this thread:

brew.sh/
github.com/search?utf8=&q=ebuild
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All linux distros are fucking dogshit, just use windows xp or 7 and get a life.

There's more to life than ricing your loonix desktop to get internet points in linux desktop threads.

Because no one other than dumb Arch users needs to download user scripts to do ./configure, make, make install.

But they don't integrate with your package manager and get quite messy if you don't keep an eye on them.

Because aur poses an inherent security risk and most distros are backed by a corporation (red hat, Novell, canonical) who don't want to be held responsible if something goes wrong.

this.

on Fedora/CentOS, you can use copr, which is basically a public service where you upload your source+spec and it builds RPMs for you. software is good? ask to become a package maintainer and get it included in official repo. can't bother? well then leave it in copr in direct users there.

Someone's salty

PPA. But is a shit like AUR.

Dont take the bait, faggot. Leave winfags crying alone.

ppa, copr, obs

several similar systems out there OP

Mac has homebrew.

brew.sh/

It's even better than AUR and not as retarded when it comes to git-based repos.

AUR managers can't even host local caches of git repos so they download hundreds of megs of data every time you update some app from git... which is beyond retarded.

PPAs aren't centralized as the AUR, plus they are Ubuntu-only, so if you use Debian, you are fucked.
Never heard about COPR or OBS so I can't say anything about them.
>tfw you only use Arch because of the AUR
>its implementation is retarded.

Ubuntu - personal package archives (PPAs)
SuSE - Open Build Service
Gentoo - overlays
Crux - ports
...I could keep going, but the point stands: AUR is nothing unique at all.

because when you have apt-get instead of pacman, you don't need anything else

github.com/search?utf8=&q=ebuild

ports systems compare closer to ABS than AUR, though your main point remains valid. Just an autist sharing my thoughts here

>PPAs aren't centralized as the AUR,
This is a positive point.

Not it's not, the more ppa's you add, he more likely you're going to get package conflicts, and package conflicts are much worse in Debian based systems than arch.

Because it's a poor implementation of an even worse idea.

/thread

He's not saying ports systems in general. CRUX does things differently and there's a specific meaning here.

>5 rupees have been deposited to your account

everyone else wants something that actually works

>Oh but it works if you spend weeks setting it up and reading mailing lists because my time is worthless so yours is too!

5? Only 5???

Super Shills, Inc. right down the street will pay you 8 per post.

Homebrew is a glorified ruby script. How does it feel to worship something anyone who has an actual computer could write in a hour?

You're retarded if you believe that. Every distro has something like the AUR.

weak troll

>You're retarded if you believe that every distro has something like the AUR.
Fixed your silly typo

More to life huh? Like what?

there's slackbuilds

I can always just download some sketchy ebuilds from an unknown website

As an Archer myself, I must admit Debian does. Quoting from the Arch Wiki
> Debian is the largest upstream Linux distribution with a bigger community and features stable, testing, and unstable branches, offering over 43,000 packages. The available number of Arch binary packages is more modest. However, when including the AUR, the quantities are comparable.

So yeah, the AUR is simply a way to allow Arch to have as many packages as many of the other distros. deal with it.

Even so, Debian can't cope well with niche packages or non-standard variants, AFAIK you can't get linux-ck on Debian repos for example.

>AUR managers can't even host local caches of git repos
pacaur does

>b-but debian has more packages!
meaningless to me if they aren't the packages i want

in my own personal experience, arch with the aur has covered much more of what i want to install than debian did