Tinker Board, Asus's answer to Raspberry Pi

>Quad Cortex-A17 1.8 GHz (about 2x faster than RPi 3)
>Mali-T760 MP4 GPU
>2GB LPDDR3 RAM
>Gigabit LAN
>802.11 b/g/n integrated antenna and U.FL connector for external antenna
>Bluetooth 4.0
>RPi form factor

It's now on sale for about $56.

cpc.farnell.com/asus/90mb0qy1-m0eay0/tinker-board-2gb-1-8ghz-4k-gb/dp/SC14363

How do you feel about this? Is it DOA because of the higher price?

Other urls found in this thread:

automatikprodukter.se/index_proj_guide_gg0_uk.htm
libreboot.org/docs/hcl/c201.html#videoblobs
wiki.linaro.org/ARM/UEFI
youtube.com/watch?v=fuAebQvFnRI&t=20m57s
fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

And I was just thinking about getting a RPi. Might look into it a bit more

>32bit
kek

Were you planning on slapping 8gb of RAM on that bad boy?

>Rockchip
topkek
>Is it DOA because of the higher price?
Yes, there's plenty of better specced competitors in that higher price range, and they have much better support and less ancient chips

without a support community, extensive documentation and software, is little more than smoother failed RPi clone. The Pi is king because if it's community.

That looks beautiful but we will see how it goes.

While you are partially right, if you have any brains you can adapt almost anything from RPi to the Pi clones because of the similar hardware and architecture. It's only really a problem for the dumb shits who just copy paste everything and then don't know what to do when it doesn't work.

>Rockchip.
>32 bit
>Looks like a fire hazard out of the box.

Ill pass.

People that parrot that shit are basically brain dead, they don't realize that all of these SBC run the same fucking armhf binaries.

Name a better competitor pls

Why not play around with the real shit instead?

what would you do with an SBC that could possibly benefit from 64-bit registers and addressing?

64bit science?

Maybe some exotic forced induction or hybrid system. The again a SBC wouldn't make much sense over an LS or LT series engine.

Gigabit LAN is nice, increased processing power doesn't catch my eye since I'm not using the RPi 3 for anything difficult.

>64-bit is only to address more than 2^32b memory

Because prices?

>24V

24VAC

automatikprodukter.se/index_proj_guide_gg0_uk.htm

You should pay attention to the "polarity" even if it is AC when connecting shit.

I fried one when working for an electrical firm.

6000 NOK down the drain.

Name one fag otherwise your full of shit

Do they really? I'm so-so at Linux but I'd like to use it for projects

I'd rather get the ODROID-C2
similar specs plus

ADC pins (!)
USB OTG
Infrared receiver
Optional eMMC slot
64-bit ARM

and it's cheaper too. $40

There's still no open source driver for mali gpus

Is this a programmable logic controller?

>be Asus
>be depressed about laptop sales
>look at RasPi sales
>copy-paste product, recolor in photoshop
>tfw

I swear if this garbage has the USB ports and ethernet sharing a lane as well, I will rage.

if it isn't open hardware and/or doesn't support free software fuck off

>still ARM
>56 dollary-doos

Not him. Orange Pi and Banana Pi.

>using a shitty rpi clone for "scientific" computing
literally why

Because you can
99% of what people do with SBC's would be much better served with microcontrollers

Buy a pine64 or odroid c2 instead, cheaper and better.

/thread

yeah I completely agree, which is why spec jerking on them is pretty retarded

Processor is much slower.

64-bit is useless for small SBC workload.

>not using the 9$ chip computer
>2017

Fucking retards

Looks nice. It uses the RK3288 SoC which is in a bunch of other SBCs and some Chromebooks. Probably lots of work from those devices could be carried over.

True. It sounds like lots of stuff works fine without it though.
libreboot.org/docs/hcl/c201.html#videoblobs

Open hardware, no. Nothing with an ARM chip is completely open hardware since the processor designs are proprietary. I don't know about higher-level stuff like PCB design though. Free software support, maybe. If it's similar to the other RK3288 boards, it'll probably be possible to run totally free software if you don't need video acceleration.

TempleOS requires 64-bit architecture
It can't be ported to ARM otherwise

>64-bit is useless for small SBC workload.
That depends. Some ARM processors are much more efficient running 64bit code than 32bit code. Is that the case on the processors commonly used in SBCs? I don't know.

Yeah okay. You run a program on a pi that needs proper timing and see how that works out.

Modify it then.

They really need to make these things with 4GB of RAM. 2GB struggles with web browsing. Rockchip should make a simple a73 quad core chip as well.

Gigabit LAN is the only thing that I would really like from the rPi

I wish someone would build actual PCs to use instead of these stupid boards with way too much useless shit slapped on for the 1% that will actually use a Raspberry Pi for tinkering

>what is virtual memory?

Kek Get a Siemens Simatic S7 300 at least. Captcha north Eaton

>blobby video drivers for non outdated kernels
There is some hope but it will probably die anyway.

Nobody cares about the binaries. Compiling binaries for a different architecture is so trivial even a baby can do it. The hard part is to get driver support and ARM is particularly crappy in this area. All their mali GPUs need closed source drivers.

>Mali-T760
>"As of November 2016, drivers are still being in development"

Honestly don't care about the price. Just wish it has a 64 bits CPU.

It's DOA, not because of the price, but because of the support behind it.
Unless Asus can compete against the whole open-source community, it's dead.

Standard for industrial applications.
Impractical for hobby use, though.

It's dead on arrival. For $35 you can get an orange pi plus 2e with 16gb emmc and otherwise the same specs.

RPi uses the USB bus for it's NIC.
The USB 2 is limited to 480 Mbits. So even if it gets a gigabit NIC, it still can't use it fully.

Take a look at Orange pi pc 2. Has Gb NIC and uses it's own bus

This famalam, my odroid c2 is glorious, using it as seedbox, mpd, tt-rss, syncthing and soon vpn node as well

As much as I hate the RPi and the Pi Foundation they have the advantage of getting in early and having a huge amount of support to draw upon. If any other SBC wants to properly succeed, the manufacturers need to focus on that. My Orange Pi PC is much faster than my RPi but it doesn't do anything half the time because it lacks the advantage of community support.

I'd be inclined to agree but I'm not a huge fan of the mess that the BCM283x chips are, there's a lot of problems with the design of the chip that make it arguably much worse than anything Allwinner has (ARM AXI transactions being forced non-secure, incomplete Cortex-A15 integration, lack of any TrustZone peripherals for ARM which ties in with my first point, lackluster clock and power management) as well as the fact that we still don't know how to initialize half of the peripherals without using the blob.

A64 or other Allwinner boards seem to have all that, though I've not personally tested it myself and from what I heard the secure peripherals will not work unless a certain eFuse is burned.

no SATA?

I literally don't need such specs.

The Pi3 is still cheaper.

ODROID, Banana Pi, Orange Pi, Beaglebone Black, so many, many more.

Just look through the single board computer database.

>ODROID
ODROID doesn't let you run code in EL3 which kind of sucks and require a signed SPL that drops down to EL2 or EL1 IIRC.

>Orange Pi
Orange Pi runs a cheaper version of sun50i, should probably go for Pine64 instead. Pine64 is reasonable (it runs on Allwinner A64/sun50i) but see what I said in the above post. Though at least you get to have your code run in EL3 on dev boards.

>Beaglebone Black
Bootrom will exit secure mode, which kind of sucks. Also old pre Cortex-A15 OMAP3, so no LPAE or virtualization and no AArch64 (obviously).

Bottom line is a lot of these boards have glaring problems, but Allwinner based ones are probably (?) the best unless you want to buy Tegra based Jetson TX1 but it's pretty expensive (dev boards do not have a key fused so you can run code in secure/EL3 mode).

>no SATA
ya blew it

So um, you're saying this Rockchip-based Asus Tinker doesn't have any of these problems?

How many things do I need to create a private network?
Can I put both DNS-server, router and NAS on RaspPi at the same time and connect it to my single laptop?
Well, sounds retarded, actually, but still? I just want to toy with network pentesting with RaspPi servring as prey.

>Router
>RPi
Best thing you'll get is an Access Point, you can't really have something with a single Ethernet port work as a router. You could get a USB dongle and try that, but it isn't ideal and you're likely looking at shit speeds all around because of how both ports will be using the same USB bus for Ethernet, and it's on a Raspberry Pi that is running a few other things.

What about wifi connection for pentesting? Like it is lying flat, emitting waves into the air, and I am trying to penetrate from my laptop?

I've never dealt with Rockchip SoCs so I can't talk about them much, from what I've heard they're pretty crappy and you'd be best of settling for something else.

Also, should probably get an ARMv8 based SoC (that SoC is Cortex-A17 so it's ARMv7-A with a bunch of extensions), AArch64 is pretty cool, while not necessarily useful if you're just going to run Linux on it, if you like low level stuff, it's a whole different world.

If you want to penetration test WiFi things, you're going to want a WiFi dongle that has packet injection support and monitor mode under Linux, so look into something like the Alfa AWUS036NHR or TP-Link TL-WN722N. At that point, you'd want to hook that up to your RPi, install reaver, aircrack-ng, and whatever else you want to pentest with, and SSH into the machine and pentest.

Outside of platform specific stuff that was conflated with a 64bit rollout (such as x86_64s extra registers), that is almost exclusively what it is for. You can also process 64 bit numbers in a single cycle, but I doubt you'll notice much improvement in 99.99% of programs running on this.

You can accomplish the same thing in software with deeper page tables. Not sure if this CPU supports it, but it IS possible.

Dear user,
>RaspPi as prey
not the other way

How difficult would it be to set up one of these as a Wi-Fi router?

Then set it up as an Access Point, and then pentest on your laptop. There are some guides out there for setting an RPi as an Access Point.

>ARM
>no sata

Seriously, why fuck they keep selling that useless toys

>ARM
yeah no

Cortex-A17 supports the LPAE extensions that were introduced with Cortex-A15 (which also ended up being the AArch64 page table format) but that's mostly for the sake of virtualization, you still won't be able to address more than 4GB of memory without a page table switch.

>ARM
What exactly is wrong with ARM?
>no sata
I think you're missing the whole point of "embedded" hardware.

>Still no USB3
>Probably needs proprietary drivers and modified kernels and shit that will never get updated

>a new developer board announced every fucking day
>not a single one of them truly open hardware or even fully functional with free software

And nothing remotely promising in sight that would fit these simple criteria. To this day, not even the RPi community (which is huge) could make their board work without proprietary garbage. As far as I know, anyway. So these dev board things remain pointless.

>What exactly is wrong with ARM?
No standardized boot process, have to deal with shitty undocumented bootloaders
Drivers are almost nonexistent, if you can find them, good luck patching your own kernel with non-forward compatible binary blobs the manufacturer released for Linux 2.6.36
All available interconnects are garbage, but that's not an issue with embedded hardware.
If ARM got these sorted out properly, it could be a damn fine architecture.

it doesent run my shootan games
cant pretend im a real soldier without shootan gaems

the hardway is strong enough for a home media server (or rather, it's way stronger than what's needed for one). SATA would be nice for attaching a disk so you can stream stuff.
unless it has USB 3.0, then it should be good enough, I guess.

>No standardized boot process,
This is changing:
wiki.linaro.org/ARM/UEFI

This is logically sound.

isn't not x86

What's so special about x86?

old habits die hard

What old habits do you have that are bound to x86?

>No standardized boot process, have to deal with shitty undocumented bootloaders
Well, we have device trees if you're talking about higher level stuff (like booting Linux). First stage bootloaders generally differ since everyone uses different EMIF controllers for example, and different ways of managing clocks and power. ARM is not to blame, since it can be licensed out, different SoC vendors choose to do stuff differently.

You can also have UEFI on ARM and treat the "proprietary" (which in a lot of cases it isn't) bootloader as the firmware and happily boot like you would on x86(_64).

>Drivers are almost nonexistent, if you can find them, good luck patching your own kernel with non-forward compatible binary blobs the manufacturer released for Linux 2.6.36
What are you even on about? Most peripherals like DWC2 USB have standardised drivers aside from some platform specific stuff usually. That's literally one of the stupidest things I've heard in a while,

>All available interconnects are garbage, but that's not an issue with embedded hardware.
You mean AXI? Again, what's wrong with AXI/AMBA?

Or were you referring to SoCexternal peripheral (CLCD for example) interconnects? Again, I still don't see the issue, ARM is mostly for embedded systems, you don't need exposed general purpose interconnects like PCIe.

Honestly, UEFI on ARM is just bloat, we really don't need boot services on ARM. The main argument that people are bringing up in this thread is a differently worded "ARM isn't x86_64" so they're unfamiliar with it and like talking shit about it without understanding the primary market most ARM SoCs are aimed at.

>The dream of open Linux hardware is being crushed by proprietary blob ghettos of SBCs and Android Phones

RMS WAS RIGHT

ARM desperately needs some sort of unified infrastructure.

youtube.com/watch?v=fuAebQvFnRI&t=20m57s

Your arguments basically boil down to "ARM doesn't target SBCs and servers". Guess what the entire point of this thread is about?

My niggas.

ODROID C2 is far better and cheaper.

window vidoe juegos

Well ARM can target servers but again, by SoC vendors that customise their SoCs in such a way, that's the beauty of ARM licensing.

>SBCs
Well, I never actually said that, what I implied is that is that your typical ARM SBC user doesn't give two shits about what the boot chain does as long as it eventually boots Linux. Just treat it as you treat firmware on x86_64 machines since that's what it essentially is. I don't see where I implied that ARM doesn't target SBCs.

This is why proprietary software is holding back progress.

fk u

>Binary Blobs
>No mainline kernel support
>Undocumented bootloaders

Is there any reason to get these instead of a mini-ITX + Celeron/APU combo?

>still not a single sbc running freetard firmware
fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

What would be the benefit?

>what is texas instruments beagle bone black

What makes you hate the pi?

>still not a single sbc running freetard firmware
Allwinner dev boards (ie. Pine64), Nvidia Jetson TX1/TK1 (Coreboot instead of NVTBoot), OMAP3 dev boards, there's an open source firmware for RPi, etc.

fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers