Hey some local boy is trying to sell my a pc with a i5 processor (doesnt know which one until he checks) 16gb of ram...

Hey some local boy is trying to sell my a pc with a i5 processor (doesnt know which one until he checks) 16gb of ram and 2tb storage for $400 us dollars. Why does this seem to be such a good deal? I was looking at building my own with an i7 for streaming but it would run me around 1800 for everything i want, so spending 400 and being able to stream some games seems a lot better. Is it possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/HP-Z210-Workstation-Intel-Xeon-E3-1230-3-2Ghz-8GB-DDR3-1TB-HDD-Quadro-600-/112265931079?hash=item1a23922947:g:vVMAAOSw241Ydqwl
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's probably a good deal because the hardware is 5 years old.

Well i don't know how much of a problem that is. I am currently on a prebuilt dell computer. It's an inspiron 620s with a i3 3.30 ghz and 6 gb of ram its about 8 years old, and im just looking for something i could stream games on until i can get more cash together to build something and this is the best deal i've seen.

I have ok internet for streaming if wondering. An upload speed of about 15 Mbps and download of about 95 mbps. I dont know what the average is but compared to my friends i have the fastest

>2TB
no ssd
>16gb ram
that's minimum
>i5
likely a 2500k or something like 5 years old

$400 is still a pretty good deal though since the case should be worth ~$100

Even if its not an ssd, 2 Tb is a lot of space and i wouldn't need access to things very quickly. I am just wondering about things for streaming. Also what about overclocking? I've heard this term thrown out a lot. Can you overclock an i5? would i need a new cooler?

What's the graphics card in it? And depending on what you play you'll see a significant performance decrease while streaming, especially if you plan in using integrated graphics

>That font rendering

streaming you need quick access
I record games in order to watch how I played and improve
You need to have the game on a separate drive from the one you record on or everything slows down

>spending 1800 USD for a stream machine

Why would you want to do that, you'll probably have to downsample the quality anyway

Is there anything i can purchase or do to prevent speed slowing down? Would i have to add my own ssd? wouldnt doing that be like 200?

I was going off of another persons set up and he seemed to have thought of a lot of things. steven bonnel's list had explanations to why he chose what he did

you're way out of your league, man

for starters, 400$ is not a good deal even with a GPU which it seems it doesn't even include, unless that i5 is 6th or 7th gen which is pretty much impossible

and I don't even know what you are thinking of building for 1800$ if all you want is to stream games

head over our PC building general and ask for help there

With only 7k views I'd look at maybe starting off with something smaller like what the guy is offering (depending on the GPU and you should invest in an SSD), until you can get those numbers up then go big

destiny has a 2 pc setup tho

But this is like such a huge upgrade from my i3

were going to need an actual full part list to tell you how good or bad of a deal it is

is it really though, we dont even know which i3 you have or which i5 he has

>its an intel core i3 2120 3.30ghz with 6 gb of ram

>or which i5 he has

another hdd would do desu
depending on how your stream program works you put the game on main drive or the other

3.30 ghz vs the 2500k i have a 2500k and its 2.5 ghz

It's almost certainly not a good deal.

Worst case:
The i5 is a dual-core Lynnfield (i5 650). Anything from that era is worth $80-130.

Likely case: i5 2400 or 2500k with a 5770/5850/6850.
That's worth maybe $150-200.

I really doubt he'd be selling something like a Haswell i5 with a GTX 970 for $400. I'd consider that acceptable.

But it has triple the ram as my pc

buy some ram if thats all that matters to you

keep in mind you can buy a shitty i5 and 16 gb of ddr3 for about 200$, so we(YOU) actually need to know what it is specifically that the guy is selling

You can get an i5 2500 system for $99 shipped.

It's probably a nehalem based i5 which is a pile of shit

There are no Nehalem i5s.

Thanks for the replies guys! Can someone suggest where i should go ask these questions without bothering people?

youre not bothering anyone, youre just not providing enough information for anyone to actually help you beyond telling you to get more information

This. Come back when you know the model of the CPU and GPU. PSU make/wattage would also be helpful since it's worth more if it's good and could be used in a more powerful build.
From what you've given us it could be anything from a $25 CPU with onboard graphics to a $220 CPU with $650 GPU.

You can get an alienware with an i7 and GTX970 for $760.

Ok Guys sorry! I didn't realize how many i5's were out there. I will definitely come back once i know more thanks for all the help!

Somewhere in Europe
i5 650
p55 PCH based motherboard
8gb ram
gtx 750ti
60GB ssd
500GB hdd
Crappy case and crappy psu.

350 euros.

Is it fair? Yes. The problem is: do you want an i5 650?

If yours will be a >2500k, fine, go for it. Otherwise no. Not even if it's not an overclockable CPU.

You should also consider the possibility to buy separately CPU+Motherboard+RAM and then GPU and then SSD and then CASE by different folks.

link plz

search ebay for HP Z210

we have very different definitions of $99 it seems

Closest one to the claim.

ebay.com/itm/HP-Z210-Workstation-Intel-Xeon-E3-1230-3-2Ghz-8GB-DDR3-1TB-HDD-Quadro-600-/112265931079?hash=item1a23922947:g:vVMAAOSw241Ydqwl

They still look like a decent deal for a Haswell Xeon and possibly an i5. Toss in a used or cheap GPU for around a hundred dollars.

So? Ram isn't as important as having the cpu & gpu be good.

Seems you missed out.

Pretty sure that would be a Sandy Xeon. It's an i7 2600.
You can find 7850's/7870's for $50-60.

not sure about windows, but on linux you can changes the IO priorities for each process
of course, storing barely-compressed, realtime, high quality, high resolution video needs a lot of bandwidth, so if you're running a big game from the same disk, loading times are going to suffer quite a bit

True. I don't think it's a Sandy Bridge but Ivy. It really depends on the price and how much ram you get with it. You can build a new memelake i3 with mobo and 8-16GB ram for pretty cheap via rebates etc.

>unironically listening to Destiny

You are both underage and mentally retarded. Please fuck off back to r[spoiler][/spoiler]eddit.

You are seriously going to listen to a guy who literally delided his CPU with a fucking Glock? Why even come to Sup Forums for advice then?

nobody is gonna watch your shitty stream