Explain why you dont use Gentoo Linux

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QPM6FFD2eCk
youtu.be/5QAuBK-hbEU
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenRC
theautismblog.seattlechildrens.org/autism-and-dealing-with-change/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i do

i dont need to explain my actions to a nobody.

arch just werks
don't feel like spending the extra time to switch to gentoo, and I don't think I'd get any significant performance benefits from doing so

Because it has no benefits over Ubuntu.

enjoy the breaks

Because I don't want to.

compile times are forever

>Oh, you want to browse the web? Just wait an hour while chromium compiles

install gentoo
youtube.com/watch?v=QPM6FFD2eCk

you can use "firefox-bin" until chromium is ready

this. also i have family and a job.

Because i use ubuntu.

Because I like live patching.

windows vista is all I need friendo

But I do.

Because I use my OS to get work done. If I were to use Gentoo I'd be less efficient with my time, so why bother?

How so? What are you basing this assumption on?

But I do. I've tried to switch back to something simpler like Xubuntu but I can no longer live without Portage and OpenRC.

Embrace the 'too.

Basically this.

Oh no. A one time wait. That isn't that long on a modern CPU. That doesn't prevent me from using my computer while it happens.

im using it for 3 years now, when will it break?

fuck off from Sup Forums businessman

Because I like to play games

>one time wait
>chromium updates every week
>firefox updates almost every week

havent found a comprehensive guide on how to compile the kernel for my system

Because I don't wanna compile everything from scratch. Compiling qt alone takes 4+ hours on a i7 hexacore.

>job
>businessman

>not doing business as your job.
>3017-500*2

I don't want to.

>going through menuconfig and checking what hardware I have is hard

t. (You)

But I do, OP
youtu.be/5QAuBK-hbEU

good reasons

retards

What are the benefits of gentoo over arch? Inb4 placebo performance gain

OpenRC.

what if I told you I actually prefer systemd?

Compiling packages to install them is annoying and takes too much time.
We've been over this

added to retard list

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenRC

not an argument

add yourself to that. systemd isn't half as bad as faggots want to make it look.

Because minor benefits and major complexity.

Of corse if u have spasm because of 0,2 secant faster reboot You can waste time for customization.

t. not a sys admin.

Systemd really isn't all that bad if the only thing you do is rice your desktop. Fuck off Arch babby.

I'm not able to follow the autistic install guide.

you can still use your browser while it updates...

Don't make me laugh.

theautismblog.seattlechildrens.org/autism-and-dealing-with-change/

Can any gentoo users explain profiles to me? I'm installing it now and I want to go for a non-bloated installation, which profile am I supposed to use?

Profile adds some useflags globaly

Because Smartos exists

because honestly I am a gnu/linux retard and want to learn things before trying it instead of just copy/pasteing my way from wiki having no idea what I am doing.

Profiles define the default set of USE flags and the @system that is going to be installed.

You can and most likely will of course customize your USE flags; selecting the right profile only gives you some sane defaults. If you're not going to run Plasma or GNOME then just go with the default desktop profile.

Probably the best profile to go with is the plain desktop profile.

You don't learn before hand, you learn by doing. Install it, make mistakes, fix the mistakes and get better by gaining experience. Just reading in isolation will not teach you much. Just take the plunge and read as you go. You will pick it up much quicker.

Have used gentoo for ages while maintaining both full time work and an active social life. It's not really that hard.

portage is life.

thaknks, now for configuring the kenel. How much of a benifit is it to do it manually over using genkernel?

IMO it's integral to the gentoo experience. I would strongly recommend getting to know your hardware and how you use your machine then configuring it manually. There will be some teething pain but you will get it. In all seriousness, if I can do it then you can too.

Because I don't feel like waiting for days to get things compiled to find out vulkan isn't even supported properly yet.

Also configuration is a mess

Went back to BSD where all configs live in /etc

Stick to genkernel during the install, especially if you never done it before.

You can manual configure the kernel once you have a working system.

>days
What on earth are you trying to install gentoo on?

ma duuuuuukhhhh

Genkernel is fine, don't listen to the retards.

Because I don't want to have an os that works similar to a cellphone that was not jailbreaked

Arch Linux users here?
Why you dont switch to Gentoo?
>inb4 muh AUR

W-what?

Zorin OS is comfy

i use debian

>Because I don't want to have an os that works similar to a cellphone that was not jailbreaked

Is there any os other, than windows ones, dos, templeos, ReactOS and MenuetOS, that is not like a non jailbreaked cellphone?

I don't want to compile every package under the sun.

Because none of the programs on it work
>inb4 "ya fucked up the USE flags"

how am I supposed to use it when even PHP5 needs 30minutes to compile on my machine?

2retarded2install

Because it is not installed on any of the hardware that I have access to, and us. If it were, or if I took the time to install it myself, things might be different.

I do. Used debian for a year then took the plunge into gentoo.

It was difficult to set up at first (which I quite enjoyed), to get the correct audio driver and a few other things, but now everything just werks if you remember/google a few commands. Compiling the kernel was a bit scary, but as long as you are thorough with research, nothing should go wrong.

Although today I decided to emerge -uvaDN @world
, after not updating anything for a year. It's taking a hell of a long time.

I was running gentoo for years it is my fav. But it was really frustrating spending time fixing or installing things on the fly when I wanted to coworkers or my boss something. It happens. So I use Debian at work now.

I'm nervous about backdoors and I don't know enough about the system's operation to audit it thoroughly.

couldn't make the sound work, not even in the livecd

Explain why Gentoo is so popular because I'm pretty sure Arch is better in every possible way.

>rolling release
>not updating at least every couple of weeks

asking for trouble

Because you're wrong and gentoo is better in every possible way

>no Steam support
whoops

My thoughts exactly. Arch has never broken for me and I've been using it as my daily driver for almost 2 years now. It's literally the perfect operating system for me.

>Portage > Pacman
>OpenRC > Systemd
>Gentoo's stable core + opt-in bleeding edge software > Arch's half-tested bleeding edge everything
>Gentoo's community: veteran hackers > Arch's community: weeb "ricers"

Because I used it only to learn more about *nix for about a year. Now that I'm smarter I switched to Ubuntu with Unity.

Because I share the pic with my family and they wanna use windows

I have a job and my time is valuable and I don't want to waste my company's time on dropout shit.

Quite literally nobody gives a shit what OS you're using, they care about the speed and reliability of your hosting, what lang you're using, and what their software looks and acts like. You should be arguing over stuff like apache, php, etc but you are forever stuck as a 16 year old jerking off over how hard it was to set up your desktop.

cuuuuck

The time taken to compile the software for your specific hardware is greater than any time saved by the minor speed improvements given by a large margin.

Being able to update KDE without the compile time is pretty nice I guess. Adding flags you forgot and recompiling is a chore as well.

I don't even own my own computer.

>check and mate

Too much annoying for a noob like me to install and i want bleeding edge packages

I'm using it right now.

Because I can afford good hardware because I have a job.

I use Solus

I have work to do

Nothing wrong with arch

except systemd

I'm not a NEET

I'm a bit Ubuntarded. Like stuff to just workTM

As a Gentoo user, this is one of my few criticisms of Gentoo. Things don't Just Werk™, it usually takes a long time to get things up and working, especially audio/wireless, and anything else related to drivers.