Why are NUCs so cute?

Why are NUCs so cute?

I don't like the black part for the ports but agreed, very nice looking

Because Intel's tireless innovation has allowed the steady march of miniaturization to continue

why not make them complete PCs out of the box?

I don't understand this fascination with tiny-uber-alles all-in-one computers. Or even the ITX form factor for that matter. It's like accepting all the disadvantages of a laptop (low-power mobile components, lack of expandability), and all the disadvantages of a desktop (need for an external screen/KB/mouse, no battery, can't just pick it up and go) while getting none of the advantages of either.

Mini-ITX doesn't have the laptop disadvantages. You still get an x16 on any decent mITX board, and that's really the only necessary expansion (for GPU.)

What? I sure as hell can upgrade my i3 in my mini-ITX to an i7 as long as the new part is good for the cooler I use (65W, or I can switch to water cooling if I was autistic). I can change the standard ATX PSU, upgrade the standard form factor graphics card (pcie3 16x), upgrade the memory (regular DIMM form factor DDR4), add SATA storage (currently just using M.2), or even get a completely new mobo+memory if that is needed one day. It's perfectly silent in casual workloads, has the performance of a midrange desktop (currently, as it was a budget build), and best of all, it was inexpensive compared to a laptop and carries with me to a LAN-party etc in a backback with the sleeping bag, monitor stand and cables.

maybe that'd mean too many variations of the same product

>low-power mobile components
Except modern mITX builds don't have that problem.

>lack of expandability
Most people just don't need more expandability than an mITX build offers anymore. Most people don't use any expansions cards other than a GPU so having just 1 PCIe x16 slot is enough, most people would be putting the same amount of RAM in 4 slots on a larger motherboard that they put in 2 slots on an mITX motherboard, most people don't use anything that necessitates a 5 1/4" bay anymore (though you can still get mITX cases that have one without being much larger), and most people don't use more than two hard drives. Hardware capabilities today have grown beyond what most people including gamers (who are the main common crowd that demands higher performance) need, even when considering the problem of software bloat.

Hell, if I wanted to build a new desktop I could wait until the Ryzen APUs come out and do a slim mITX build that would outperform my current machine (which is still using an old Phenom x4 and a GTX 560 Ti).

Really old desks werent made for desktop PCs and newer desks like desks from the 2010s are also more for laptops now. So basically a lot of people have furniture or room setups where they dont want the computer placed on the ground or have all the wires leading to the desk it's placed at. Small computers can be placed where you would put a console.

They're fucking awesome for business
>Tiny footprint for desk space
>Can mount them anywhere, particularly good for back of monitor
>Low cost
>Handheld means less bullshit when it comes to moving or deploying them
>No more leaving on the floor getting kicked over

>mounting shit behind your screen

How do I press the power-on button now? Wake-on-Keyboard?
Can I also mount a UPS behind the screen? I don't fucking think so.

would be cool to hackintosh one of these

Or you just get laptops and then people can take them to meetings or whatever.

Office shitboxes don't need a UPS.

>laptops
Triggered, laptops are fucking gay because port replicators always act all fucky. Plus people are faggots and constantly lose the power adapter or straight up break the whole thing.

Compute card™ is the future™

5 cute facts about NUC's:
- they're mini computers
- they're cute
- I love them
- NUC's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sup Forums pls

They look like shit.
Nice dev machines tho.

Enjoy your no wifi / bluetooth.

I have a 2820 I bought at Cashconverters. It had the original BIOS/UEFI so it couldn't boot from USB. Quick upgrade fixed that.
But having to go into the BIOS to change boot drives is a pain.
OTOH, it came with an SSD and a 4G SODIMM so I can't complain. Win 8.1 as well.
Not bad for under $60.

But you can get quite small USB dongles that'll work with OSX. A small 4-port hub stuck to the side of the NUC and you're in business.
But they're no Mac Mini.

why is your moms pussy still tight?

Nah, it needs a huge slot in the device you're planning to use it with.

It needs to connect to a smaller port than that to be "the future".

Maybe even without a port?

Actually I'd rather get pic related for better performance.

I wouldn't get a PC just because it looks good.

They're perfect for everyday computing that your typical mom or college girl would be doing. I plan on getting one for my mother and replacing the computer I built her a few years back.

They look like cheap-shit chinese TV boxes.

for the average consumer they're great, since the average consumer doesn't need powerful cpus or graphics

Low cost
They cost a fucking lot

Is there anything like this but allow quick docking of a hard drive?

I'd like to use a NUC as a backup server. Maybe a USB dock is good enough.

A nuc is shit for a back-up server, dog.

1. Max 1 sata drive, 2.5"
2. 1

Go on newegg>mobos>embedded solutions and pick yourself up a $100 board (perhaps even AMD) with integrated CPU and GPU. That way you can attach many SATA disks as you go.

$100 mobo,cpu,gpu
$40 case
$40 PSU

Will be slower but have superior functionality and expandability to a NUC. Either option will have you adding on ram and a boot disk to the price.

Thunderbolt into an hdd hub?

Laptops are
1. Expensive
2. still need a monitor/mouse/keyboard since using a laptop screen makes you a hunchback(back problems) aka lawsuit from employees

That's different in the new ones