Future projects
Ask questions
Future buys

>Useful websites full of projects for both new and advanced SBCers
hackaday.io/
pimylifeup.com/
hackster.io/raspberry-pi/projects

>Previous thread highlights
user asks whether he got buttfucked for a $20 RPi 0 Reminder that Odroid c2 is more powerful than RPi3 with almost same cost user shows of his Piss mall cluster Anons wondering if x86 SBC's are worth it Answer? Costly

Other urls found in this thread:

protectli.com/products/
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09/the-router-rumble-ars-diy-build-faces-better-tests-tougher-competition/
reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/4a96gv/anyone_with_experienceinterest_in_this_4_nics/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers
limadriver.org/
github.com/limadriver-ng/lima
github.com/mlinuxguy/lima
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just ordered one of these what do you think boys? protectli.com/products/

>sbc

it is a single board

You overpaid fampai.

Also see: arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09/the-router-rumble-ars-diy-build-faces-better-tests-tougher-competition/

>tl;dr Ubuntu server with iptables routing performs much better than pfSense.

>ubuntu router
>trusting the linux kernel when it comes to security

Obviously, you are new to this.

In my household, we run bsd in our network access point, because we are upstanding members of the tech community. Not some fucking cargo-cult niggers.

I saw that. I paid $260 no shipping no taxes off amazon. If I bought the same model from Singapore it would of cost $230 + tax and basically no garmented return. I rather by from a reseller state side and have the simple amazon free return policy. I feel like I did alright tho. I need a gigabit router and decided this would work perfectly with my existing wifi routers and just switch them into ap mode.
reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/4a96gv/anyone_with_experienceinterest_in_this_4_nics/

*guarantee
+ 40day shipping time

I need something silent and I already have a desktop acting as my 12tb nas.

That's funny seeing how modern white-box and bare-metal ISP switches and routers run on debian based forks, guess they don't mind, or, yknow, the kernel itself is pretty secure and it's the services you run off it that aren't...

Whatever floats your boat, I've never had a bad purchase from ali in 5 years, but they used to ship this by airmail, where you wouldn't pay taxes, but for some reason it's DHL only now, who are guaranteed to jew you (at least here in europe). I think it's possible to set this thing up as a Wi-Fi AP with the right card, but I never bothered.

It's a good device, I'm not bashing it if that's what you think. If you read the arstechnica article it just shows that ubuntu server with iptables is more stable under extreme loads than pfSense or OpenWRT, it is more complicated to setup mind you and unless you are putting an extreme load on your network I guess it doesn't matter too much.

New to the single board thing. Anything on the market that I could attach as NAS to and set up a Plex share that can do smooth HEVC 1080p stuff from? My current understanding is that these little ARM SOCs aren't up to snuff for software decoding .265 stuff.

>tfw no compute card

Odroid C2 can.

These threads need some sort of infographic showing the benefits and drawbacks of some boards. Just like the /csg/ thread has

Yeah but that sounds like work. Just use this instead
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers

i need peoples opinions and that wiki doesn't have prices

I want to make 1, but I only have an RPi 2 and Orange Pi.
Getting an Odroid c2 when it becomes available though.

I imagine the guy on csg thread who makes images just takes other peoples opinions, unlike most of Sup Forums, the csg thread has some honest people

Anyone have any experience with Click and Clicker boards?

Well then, I guess a good start is to list all brands and their different versions and see what people got to say about them.

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase my first single-board computer to be a "set-top media box" connected to my TV.

What company and model would you guys suggest for this usecase? I plan on playing back high-bitrate 1080p video. I know the Raspberry Pi 3B has h264 hardware decoding, but is there a bitrate limit?

Are there any other recommended media center SBC's that I could get brand new for 50 USD or less?

List of board brands I know:
Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Roseapple Pi, Lychee Pi, NanoPi, Beaglebone, ASUS, NexthingCo, Olimex, Odroid

Then there is that one with heaps of cores, forgot the name.

Making that list will be quite a bit of work, especially since you can't just compare the hardware, since some boards have shitty drivers making their superior hardware useless currently. (Orange Pi PC 2)

If you wanna go cheap, Orange Pi, a little over 50$ Odroid C2. I use an Orange Pi to stream videos using kodi, but I don't know the bitrate.

Banana Pi also comes to mind

>you can't just compare the hardware
There's no need though. You could just list the pros and cons of the different boards. In case of the OPi PC2 not having a stable Armbian support is a con.

Thanks, both of those look like good options

Prices change. Use the wiki to narrow down your choices by features and then search for prices.

Waiting my ODROID since January, fucking borderline guards, next time I will buy it from inside my country. I want to put my fucking hands on it. It is an XU4.

as opposed to what? BSD or a closed source kernel you have no idea what it's doing.

>I use BSD
>well what do you use? BSD?
Quality post

unlike yours per se...

How dumb are you?

what's ad hominem fallacy?

Irrelevant. I'm not calling you dumb, I'm asking you how dumb you are.

>265 decoding
ODROID C2

wow, impressive. A loaded question and an ad hominem attack in one single post. The lack of rational thinking and emotionally triggered hostility sure is something. BSD isn't a completely open platform. Whoever provided your router can have loads of undocumented code that you have no idea what it's doing.

Heh, check this

>BSD isn't a completely open platform
How are fully open source operating systems not completely open platforms?

You are evading user, he just explained how BSD is not completely open.

I have RasPi Model B (2nd revision).
I want to run USB powered HDD from it for basic NAS/Torrent Box.
What is best mod for reduction of voltage droop when HDD is spin up?

The licensing. BSD has become popular in embedded devices because companies can modify the base code as much as they like and they are not obligated to share what modifications were done or the source code.

This is my Orange PI PC cluster as of right now.
When I get a 5v power supply that hasn't been soaked in sea water I will modify the USB hub to take supply from the 5v power supply. The switch turns out to be 5v as well so I can add that to the power supply.
I'll probably stick the switch to the side of that alcove and the hub to the other side and stack the Pis in there somehow, maybe add a 5v fan or two for some airflow.

Oh and if you look closely you can see on the USB power meter that the Pi is drawing 0.6A and that is full CPU load, headless with no USB devices, so if you're looking at using one under similar conditions then you definitely don't need to be supplying 2A. A good 1A wall charger would suffice.

No he didn't.

Nobody's saying to run some shitty company spinoff, you install straight up OpenBSD, which is fully open source.

I have an olimex a10. I also got the serial cable-f. But when I hook up rx/tx and plug into my laptop... then what? Like, how do I telnet into it or whatever I'm supposed to do. Is it a /dev/ file on my laptop or something? There's zero instructions on it. I'm not genius enough to know what to do.

Does openBSD provide enough to be a good firewall and router? OpenBSD has no MAC implementation like SElinux

Yes, it's used by ISPs, universities, government facilities, etc. for that and more.

I will use for NAS/Cloud Storage/Seedbox/Backup machine.

Would I be able to try new things on him after I load with all that work?

I have an xu4. Just got some free time so I pulled it off the shelf, dusted it off and started work on it again. Trying to do opencl and opencv work on it but drivers are a bitch. it's a nice board though.

>SBC cluster
Is this practical? Can you actually use a cluster of ARM CPU's as a PC and it be moderately useful as just a general PC?

>Odroid c2 is more powerful than RPi3 with almost same cost

I'm on taobao right now and unless I'm missing something I can't find the odroid for less than 400RMB and my Rpi3 was only 200.

Clusters aren't for desktop computing

>Can you actually use a cluster of ARM CPU's as a PC and it be moderately useful as just a general PC?
Lol no.
It's not practical, you do it because you can and to learn about cluster computing.

it's practical in the sense that it works and it isn't even expensive. It's not practical in the sense of being useful for anything. It'd be faster to do pretty much anything on any PC built in the last ten years than to farm it out to a handful of SBCs.

It's like building an open-loop water cooling system. It's something you should do because you think it's a cool hobby project, not because you expect to get a direct benefit from it.

Odroid is korean and not really sold in China. Buy it from hardkernel.

How much is shipping?

who else /hypedforvega/ and /ravenridge/

This a google doc or something?
If not maybe make one so we can contribute shit.

>freedos

lowers the price, DIY later

/sbcg/, convince me to buy a $60 ODroid C2 over a $25 Orange Pi PC 2.

Pledge is openbsd's new mac.

Fun Fact: Some jurisdictions have boneheaded regulations saying that a computer may only be sold with an operating system installed. (I know Italy has a law like that, I'm pretty sure other places do too)

So computer sellers use FreeDOS as the "I don't want an OS on it" option.

my fellow melanin enriched friend.

2x Orange Pi Ones for now, bought one on launch, other on gearbest 9$.

No case really for these but tower is fine I guess.

>$60
It's 40 on hardkernel, but only available mid march again.
H5 support for the PC2 is iffy with Armbian; it has no stable release
Unless you really need the extra power the C2 give, it kinda is a waste of money.

How's the C2 to work with compared to the RPI3?

I've heard some people complain about driver issues with the Mali GPU.

I'm going to build a voice activated SoC connected to my living room TV, and some people have said that trying to get a good framerate on a decent resolution is a problem with the Mali GPU compared to the Broadcom VideoCore IV on the RPI3.

Can I do all of the projects done on a Pi on the C2?

I've already bought a RPI3 because of the big community and large amount of documented projects and "How-To" guides on it.

Will any ARM manufacturers produce anything linux and chromeOS support? Or are they just going to let rockchip rk3399 have the chromebook and highend SBC market uncontested?

Want to use Kodi and play some games?

Dude, I use Armbian on my C2 and it works fine. I don't remember specific cases where it fails.

Just use the Pi you have.

I already have a Pi1 and Pi3 already used for other projects.

I want to buy a few more and I'm wondering if I should get a C2 or Pi3 for my next project.

I only wonder how easy it is to work with a C2 compared to the Pi3.

With the default setup works well but I am not sure what kind of project you do. I heard the community is developing a couple other drivers so you are not tied to mali if you don't want mali.

Do SBCs with Mali GPUs have X11 desktop acceleration?

I have a Samsung Chromebook 3 (Exynos 5250, Mali T604 MP4, same as Arndale or Nexus 10), X11 isn't accelerated and it affects windowed performance so OpenGL ES games at 1366x768 fullscreen are faster than with 640x360 windowed, and dragging windows in Openbox is slow as fuck.

Yeah, I read it is very good. I also read some hotness issue that has to be resolved unmounting fan, applying thermal paste and mounting again. Did you have such issues?

>still no quad core cortex a72 boards
Why is the ARM scene so awful?

Only 3D acceleration, no 2D for window management as far as I know.

Reminder that Lima is a replacement for Mali drivers limadriver.org/

>last update 03-2013

This is why I hate the concept of open source so much. Everyone is doing their own shit, so projects fail all the fucking time. It's impossible to organize a number of people to do just one shit,
and do it consistently, since it's free, and people have to make a living on the side.

One guy has this idea to make the one quintillionth version of some shit, then loses enthusiasm, and everyone who has been baited to use his now discontinued crap is now screwed.

If you do software development in a corporate environment you get paid for doing it, it is in your interest to work on it, and keep working on it. The company releases updated content on a steady schedule, and you get exactly what was advertised.

If I wanted to make a UAV what's a decent core board to use? Fairly small and can handle a lot of IO's at once.

>github.com/limadriver-ng/lima
>2016

less complaining and more coding, go help lima

Better ODROID C2 support github.com/mlinuxguy/lima

I don't really need much outside of
> Gigabit Ethernet
> Greater than or Equal to 512MB RAM

Also considering USB 3 or SATA as a luxury, but would be great to have as well, otherwise USB2/SD Card slot couldn't hurt.

Don't wanna spend more than $50.

I plan to have it as low power home VPN server, maybe a music streaming or file server in the future.

What are my options?

What should I get if my primary intention is to connect to my TV through HDMI to watch animus and full HD movies?

OrangePi PC 2 will do everything you need except for USB 3.

USB 3 or real Sata that doesn't actually go through USB 2 will cost you more, but isn't necessary for private streaming in my opinion. If you have to regularly transfer huge files, get a better server, otherwise share from your laptop or just wait a little.