Who /kuru toga/ here ?

Just ordered one for uni. What should I expect? Is it good or is "muh rotating head" just a meme ?

Other urls found in this thread:

jetpens.com/blog/picking-the-perfect-pencil-hardness-grade/pt/475
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They're designed for writing kanji with tons of tiny strokes.
Latin scripts are long sweeping characters, you're gonna hate it unless you know how to write jap.

I don't plan on taking notes with it just math and diagrams

huh, never thought of that
I used to have one, it does what it's advertised to do

huh surprisingly very simple technology. It some seesaw pressure piston

I guess it's cool, would like if gotten for free. But what use compels you to buy one? Is it really just some math diagrams hmm

>They're designed for writing kanji with tons of tiny strokes.

It's a fucking pencil, it's designed for writing anything.

That's like saying you can write with a carpenter's pencil on college ruled paper. Sure you can but it's gonna look like shit

>But what use compels you to buy one? Is it really just some math diagrams hmm

desu just wanted to have a nice pen and pencil to be more motivated to study so that's the one I chose, I like the full metal look. Do you think i'm stupid wasting that money ? :^(

i bought a $5 zebra from walmart, it came with two of them and I use it much more than my graphgear 1000 or my much more expensive rotring

if you don't like writing, no pencil will make you want to write more

They're not all that great. Writing feels a bit strange.
If you write in cursive then applies. If you print your characters instead then it isn't any different from writing nip.

Personally my favorite pencil right now is a Zebra Delguard chambered in 0.3mm. Thin enough to not worry about wearing it flat on an angle and really hard to break the leads if you don't over extend due to the protection system.

got gifted one two semesters ago, used it whenever possible. I honestly think the rotating led isn't as effective with english, definitely better than the regular mechanical pencils, but good lord the led itself is fantastic

I have several, and I love their feel, but since I write in cursive, the rotating lead isn't too useful to me, to be frank.
Pic related, my shitty cursive handwriting.

>Zebra
no thanks

No motivate yourself however you can

What exactly is wrong with Zebra?

garbage QC and cheaply built compared to other brands that carry the same pricetags

Even the high end models

They're only like $5. What sort of price difference are you expecting?

I have the exact model in the picture

works pretty much exactly like any other mechanical pencil I own.

Would you recommend it?
It's the one I ordered too

as someone that composes classical music, the kuru toga is pretty much the only acceptable pencil to use

it also stays nice and pointy for day-to-day writing, because i don't write in cursive.

Recommendations for a pen?

ink must be water-insoluble, and not smear.

I like rollerballs, but a good ballpoint is more appropriate, and must be blue ink.

As long as it's under 50 bucks or so shouldnt be a problem.

I've gone through many different mechanical penicls throughout the years. I've owned the kuru toga, the expensive kuru toga metal model, zebras, all kinds of meme shit

Pic related is still the best pencil I have ever used and it's only three fucking dollars. Don't fall for expensive memes like I did

My dad still has one of those from decades ago

Nah, graph gear

It's a wobbly piece of shit

Uni-ball Jetstream retractable is the best ballpoint pen I've ever used.
The 0.7mm writes incredibly smooth.
The ink is waterproof and I've never had it smear.

They're not too expensive either. I believe a 3-pack is under $10.

pic related feat. my awful handwriting

they're shit at any pricepoint, from the 3USD mechanicals to the 15USD+ mullti features

They usually start failing at around three months if not less and that's assuming you're lucky enough to get one without some manufacturer defect that snaps the lead or messes up the internal feeding mechanism

Never had mine break on me, so it's good

Can't say I have ever had any such problems with any of the Zebras I have owned.

Anyway, I just picked up a Tombow Monograph, also in 0.3, and a set of Pilot Frixions in 0.7

I had the Kuru toga, except it was the alpha gel version. I would not recommend it because the head is wobbly due to the Kuru toga mechanism requires it to be able to bob up and down. Also, on the alpha gel version the grip is much thinner and not comfy like the regular alpha gel.

Apply yourself, nigga

Is this the new stationary thread?

How's my collection? Should I get a clutch holder or fountain pen next?
It's not a meme and actually works really great as long as you don't write much in cursive. Also, if you have the 2nd-gen pipe slide kuru toga you can mod it in to the body of the metal Roulette model.

What about the uni signo line? That or just get a fountain pen.

>as someone that composes classical music
You do that shit with a pencil? Ask me how I know you're a walking meme.

I've always loved those. The $5 Zebras and the Pentel Sharp .7mm are my favorite mechanical pencils, great value for almost no money.

I always print, that way even when I fuck up and am tired as fuck I can still make out what the hell I wrote, something impossible if I use cursive, Hell, legibility is the main reason I print, because lets be honest, if cursive was easier to read, everything would be cursive.

here let me do this, got out my x20 loup and flattend my .5mm lead so lets see how far I need to travel to get a flat surface at an angle

ok to go from flat head to 50% of the way flat with moderate pressure took 150mm of writeing, to go 100% of the way through, and keep in mind the more surface area the less pressure you need to apply for the same darkness too an additional 360mm, possibly 420mm

Now from what I observed, you would either need to be heavy handed, in which case you would not be using pencil as you would break them constantly, or you would be writing 30+ character words every single word for you to completely flatten the lead making it the rotation pointless. shit won't work as good for cursive, but it will still give you tangible benefits over non rotation.

dude, you walk around all god damn day, you get inspiration, you pull out your phone, and find the sheet note app, by the time you find it and its loaded... well... shit that inspiration is gone.

or you keep a small book with you you can quickly jot a tune down for later use.

my nigga
using the exact one pictured

BASED!
BASED!
THE IMMORTAL PENCIL!
GAZE UPON THE UNDYING TOOL!
These things last for fuckin ever.

Reporting in

Is it worth buying premium lead refills?

You're wrong, I have one and it works just fine for normal writing.

I've bought a rOtring Tikky 3 in 1. pretty happy with it picture related.

who /rotring 800 0.5/ here?

also, reminder that the Pilot Juice in 0.38mm is the best ballpoint.

See my post about writing styles. If you write cursive then the engine doesn't have a chance to work properly, if you write print then it is just fine.

Anyone here fashion their own eraser refills instead of shelling out $11 for 4 4mmx5mm pieces of rubber? Any tips on doing it? I figure you could just take a piece of pipe with the correct internal diameter, sharpen the end, and just press it into a normal eraser, then poke the finished one out, but I've not tried it.

I just don't use the erasers in the mechanical pencils.

Buy a normal eraser. They're like, 20 cents.

I would get a fountain pen.

was ne Sauklaue

How do you git gud at handwriting?

2 years out of uni and my handwriting can barely be deciphered even by me, not to mention my hand hurts like fuck after writing 1 page.

Start by slowing down and paying more attention to forming letters nicely.
Then work on speed again.

Yes, in order from best to okay:
>Uni NanoDia
>Pentel Ain Stein
>Pilot Neox
Stick with those three

I tried the 800, is shit. The tip is way too wobbly and doesn't feel as durable as the 600.

Which lead manufacturer and sub brand would you recommend?
Pilot, Pentel, Uniball, Rotring?

>They're designed for writing kanji with tons of tiny strokes.
small sized printing takes advantage of the function close to the level that kanji would

My Kurutoga lasted about a year until the internal mechanism started breaking the lead all the time

Pentel ain stein.

I tried Ain HB once and it did not feel as smooth as other brands of HB

Was this just a false perception?

>i can't transcribe without a computer
No him, but I have a moleskin music notebook that I carry around specifically to practice transcribing stuff.
pic related but not mine and it's currently out of production, so good luck finding another.

>it's currently out of production, so good luck finding another.
Nevermind, it's back.

The Kuru Toga retractable model requires 20 strokes to rotate the lead, unlike the previous models that required 40.
This makes it better for writing longer things.
This is my favorite ink too. 1.0 is too bold but .7 is great. Still have to find a decent body for the pen as I don't love the feeling of the rubber.

Is there any mech pencil or lead type that feels like pen writing or stylus on screen? I've come to loath the resistance of writing with pencil, mech pen is a little smoother but not enough. Is less mm tip the key?

Find a harder lead.

I really dont know where to start, is there an industry standard for the hardness of the lead/graphite refills?

jetpens.com/blog/picking-the-perfect-pencil-hardness-grade/pt/475

It's the same scale they use for pencils in europe. it's convoluted as shit.
a #2 pencil is hb, I think.

Looks like the american grading is in the pic I posted.

does graphgear 1000 is still worth it?

flair pens > all other pens

>not using H-2B lead
I've been using 2B in my mechanical pencil but it wears down kind of fast so I'm considering a lighter grade.
I love dark lead but this is the same reason I stopped using 4B lead.

Thanks senpai. Lead writing currently sometimes makes me feel almost like nail on chaulk board sort of feel at times. I'll look for harder lead and maybe switch from .7mm to .5mm

I ordered 4B ain stein for my kuru toga cause it said they're smoother and darker than classic HB leads

I've only used Pilot Neox but I'll buy several grades from several brands.
If you want smoother lead you should use a softer grade of lead, in the B range. Softer lead will wear down faster though.

Are you holding the pencil at an appropriate angle?
I've seen some lefties hold the pen perpendicular to the page which means your constantly scraping on stuff.

Oh, not harder then, alright.

I think so? I'm a righty, The scratchy feel I hate does get worse as it tip wears so maybe a kuru toga will help also. For reference I've just been using some basical walmart tier .7mm standard mech pen I think uni brand but nothing special.

Of course, it's essentially the best retractable mech pencil on the market.

Softer lead (B range) is darker and smoother, but it wears down faster.
Harder lead (H range) is lighter and less smooth, but it takes longer to wear down.
I'm a lefty and don't like the Kuru Toga because it constantly gives me a sharp point that I dig into the page because I'm left handed.
Pentel Sharp Q1005 is my favorite pencil.

jesus lefties are truly disabled
I feel for you, no sarcasm

Worst part is drawing a straight line from the left of the page to the right with a ballpoint pen. The paper digs into the nib.
That's why I have to draw lines from right to left.

love it, but constantly end up wiping it.

also the pen version broke in half for some reason, probably knocked about too much in my bag.

Who the hell writes in cursive anymore? Even people that know how have stopped.

I use Pentel T3s though.

A whole bunch of kids in my Japanese junior high write in cursive.

>tfw ended up buying 30+ usd of stationary stuffs i will probably barely use

damn you OP for this thread!

>not getting a rotring 600

here are some of my pencils. not included are a pentel smash, tombow mono graph zero and rotring rapid pro.

>not getting a staedtler 925 25

You're one of us now...

Which is your favorite?
The knurling on the Tombow Mono is pretty aggressive imo.
I love my Smash but I don't know how to use all of the eraser.

So what is that... like 2 pencils?

you're small time

Or one Pilot Automac.
It's beautiful but really weighty.

Cool, now take notes with it you colossal faggot

>Who the hell writes quickly and fluently anymore?
user, learning cursive isn't that difficult. Your grapes don't need to be so sour.

i like them all desu but if i had to choose it'd be steadtler 925.

nah had a few already, just didn't expect to buy some more today.

They don't teach it in schools anymore.
Nor do they teach you how to reach a dial clock or give you the little worksheets that teach you how to make change in US currency.

It's an outmoded, outdated practice.

>I can't think for myself and learn skills that are useful for me and I need everyone to be as unhappy and unskilled as I am
>Also I suck on the teat of the education system and do things because they are popular
It's fine, user. No, really. My grapes taste just fine, you can keep yours.

>using your pencil's eraser
>not having dedicated eraser

I know cursive. It's just faster to used modified printing. Cursive looks fancier, but it has a lot of wasted movements.

Carrying a separate eraser around can be bulky.

I have one but for small mistakes I prefer the pencil's eraser.

>no pink pet

>no eberhard faber pink pearl