Mac or PC?

The age-old question, Sup Forums.

>question
They're both cancer. Mac because mouthbreathing, head-bashed-against-a-brick-wall retarded, and PC because it weighs itself down so much in the long run by spending dev effort being compatible with so many different platforms in stead of making more short term sacrifices in the name of long term unification.

PC is just the lesser of two retards.

WC*

Windows XP shitpost station is the only way to go in 2017

literally the lowest hanging fruit of technology discussion, a dead horse beaten over and over again for over thirty years with the dumbest of often emotionally-driven arguments in discussions frequented mostly by dipshits who spend 90% of their time in a web browser and treat their telescreens as a lifestyle accessory instead of a tool for accomplishing things

please go back to Sup Forums

>Technology board
>Differentiating software names from hardware names is still too much to ask

No contest, OS X

Mac is PC user.
Also, Microsoft Windows=/=PC.
PC is just hardware by itself. What's it running doesn't matter.

Mac obviously

>Mac because mouthbreathing, head-bashed-against-a-brick-wall retarded

Yeah i bet you are an expert on Operating Systems.
Didn't mommy buy you that iPod back in the day?

Apple cult

the age old retard.

Macs are PC, as in "personal computer" and x86 computer.
A PC is not just a fucking computer running windows, it's still a PC if it runs DOS, Linux, BSD, ReactOS and even OSX.

2/10 bait, made me reply.

It's just terminology that has stuck from the good old days when Macs weren't just run-of-the-mill IBM PCs

PC for games, Mac for literally everything else.

Mac identified windows that way in THEIR mac vs pc campaign. Sure it's not technically correct but it doesn't matter, it's just easiest to identify that way

Apple only did that to avoid having Microsoft sue their asses off for those bullshit commercials.

>bullshit commercials
Those were great, I'm still upset they don't run them anymore. The claymation holiday ad was the best.

If they had said what they want to say and used "Microsoft" or "Windows" instead of "Peecee", it would have been slander.

>stating facts is slander
ok

>Costs less
Keeeeeek

You're one of those alternative facts people, aren't you?

Mac IS a PC. Mac OS is better than Windows though. Both worse than Plan 9.

That makes sense but it still means they don't self identify as "pc" so going into rants online like so many people do that "macs are still pcs!" is pointless

I'm watching a compilation of ads right now, have yet to hear something that's not true
>OS X's got more and better built in software
>Macs have Magsafe
>Macs can now run Windows, why buy a Windows PC?
>OS X doesn't come with bloatware
>OS X has Office

I don't give a shit what they "self identify" as, they are what they are. Just because a tranny wants to call themselves a woman doesn't mean their DNA bares it out, and my identifying as an Apache attack helicopter doesn't mean I can perform aerial strikes on enemy targets.

>OS X's got more and better built in software
Questionable

>Macs can now run Windows, why buy a Windows PC?
It's cheaper

>OS X doesn't come with bloatware
What was that again about having more built in software?

>OS X has Office
What? MS Office? What about having better built in software again?

>Questionable
Nope
>It's cheaper
And shittier
>What was that again about having more built in software?
It has actually usable software, We're talking about the bullshit manufacturers ship Windows PCs with. You know, all the stuff that's not part of a stock Windows install.
>What? MS Office? What about having better built in software again?
The point being that you don't need Microsoft Windows to use Microsoft Office.

>It has actually usable software
Like what?
Oh yes, the terminal. That's actually useable.

>We're talking about the bullshit manufacturers ship Windows PCs with.
No, we didn't at all.

>The point being that you don't need Microsoft Windows to use Microsoft Office.
The point is that even MacOs needs 3rd party office software, which goes directly against the claim that it comes with better builtin software.

>Like what?
iLife
>No, we didn't at all.
That's exactly what I was talking about.
>The point is that even MacOs needs 3rd party office software, which goes directly against the claim that it comes with better builtin software.
That's not even remotely the point. Never did they say Office is better, they said if you need it they've got it.

In the future, please at least try to contain your autism.

>That's exactly what I was talking about.
And why exactly would you compare buying a Mac and installing Windows on it yourself with buying a PC with preinstalled Windows + Vendor shit?
If you install Windows yourself on one you should be able to install it on the other just as well.

>Never did they say Office is better, they said if you need it they've got it.
Maybe they point it out since they know you'll need it.

>And why exactly would you compare buying a Mac and installing Windows on it yourself with buying a PC with preinstalled Windows + Vendor shit?
Because Apple's comparing a storebought Mac to a storebought PC, it's the whole fucking point of the commercials.
>Maybe they point it out since they know you'll need it.
Nope

macOS ships with a free (as in gratis) bundle of software that is up to par (with some features even being better than) MS Office.

>tfw use windows vm inside an osx host at work

I kinda like macbooks but with windows installed.
I just hate the placement of the Command key and the shitty GPU's.

But I use a T560 as my daily driver when I travel and a $4000 desktop for games and VR at home.

OSX and Apple in general is miles beyond retarded for my part. Apple has/had 3 positive things. Great build quality on Macbooks, awesome navigation wheel on the old iPod and a great touchpad on the Macbooks, but thats about it.

I only use Linux on my RPi and a old T430 with Kali and some Hak5 gear for pentesting.

and you gotta be a high end hardcore gamer

itt dozens of underage faggots calling Mac's "PC's" like stupid fucking niggers

you're fucking wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

yes, they are personal computers, yes they are made out of the same shit (now), but you're a CUNT abusing semantics to be a CUNT if you call a Mac a PC, cunt

The Command key's probably my favourite part about OS X. Using your thumb for the main key for keybindings is amazing, fuck Control

null question, a Mac is a PC
i assume you want us to rip eachother's eyes out over which is better between Windows and OSX, i shall decline this bait

top kek, theyre both pretty good, i use windows cos it's subjectively better for what i do as a comp sys engineer, but OSX is very shiny, and when its running on apple hardware and not my janky hackinstosh, it's a pretty nice experience, once you look past the serious processing deficiencies and immoral ecosystem and self righteousness.

Windows10-powered PC, obviously.

stop posting these bait threads
fucking kill yourself

PC is everything but a Mac, you don't get to rewrite terminology to suit your faggot agenda. Before you were born it was PC (IBM) and Mac. They both use the same hardware now but the NOMENCLATURE remains.

If I were a moderator I would permaban every one of you fucking idiots for saying that Macs are PC's

stupid fucking Minecraft babies on a technology forum calling Mac's PC's

fuck you

haha the whiteknight is strong. nah fuck you senpai more than enough people have realised that 2 things can merge terminology if they become the same fucking thing. maybe your argument would be valid back in the day but if ur gonna get shiity over semantics im just gonna pour petrol on the fire you dumb cunt

you're still wrong, everybody in the industry knows what the terms mean.

I really don't care what brand of PC my emacs is running on ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>eMACs

Macs are better. PC's are for boring squares, Macs are for creative people like myself

funny that, what's your occupation may i ask ? As a computer systems engineer for an AV rental and production company, i work with a lot of industry figures every day. nobody is pedantic enough to worry about the difference between a mac laptop and a PC laptop, cos we all know its the same thing, its an x86 machine that can run x86 OS's. So, are you also from the industry, or are you from a basement ?

>normal person
Windows
>homosexual hipster numale """"""Artist"""""
Mac

Let me rephrase that: everyone in the industry who isn't a fucking idiot

smart people install windows on a mac PC, dat glorious hardware, plus dat glorious software.

ooooooohhhhhhhh yh

Apple's eMac had me confused reading forums and stuff.

ok basement, good to know.

Still haven't told me what your job is, you know it's kinda critical to anyone caring about your opinions here right ? you can't just pull the "everyone in the industry knows that" card on someone when you don't agree, when you are clearly not in that field of employment, or more likely, any field of employment.

call your Apple store and ask them if they sell PC's or Macs

I choose the antidote GNU/Linux

haha shrekt into next dimension famalam

wait are you surprised that a company would try to differentiate it's product from others by giving it a different name ? wow that's never been done before. you complete utter retard.

man you have gone full fanboy haven't you.
logic just doesn't apply at this point right ?

I'm not a retard for calling things by the correct names. Calling a Mac a PC is incorrect and has been since before you were alive. They didn't "try" to differentiate their product from others by giving it a different name, they "did" differentiate their product from others by giving it a different name. That name is "mac".

Mac = a mac

PC = a PC

don't call Macs PC's. Nobody else does that. You can't change the language to suit your faggoty, contrarian "gotcha" agenda.

I am aware that they switched to the same architecture. They did that 3 years before the famous "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads.

Give it up, you're wrong. Nobody calls Mac's PC's unless they are being a cunt

I use Mint for everyday shit (because comfy and just werks), but for some shit Windows is way more convenient, so I use it (stuff like rooting phones, compatibility with legacy hardware, etc)

If I'd happen to encounter something for which OS X seems to be the best option, I'll use it too.

But to answer your question:
If I had to decide between only these two, definitely Windows, for a shitload of reasons.

nah as other's have pointed out, you are beyond logic from here on, so i don't feel bad just a bit of pity for you, defending what is essentially semantics. PC stands for personal computer, you just believe it means more than that.
I don't suffer fools gladly, so i'll be going now, i have to go to work and deploy a bunch of PC's, from memory its 25 dells and 15 or so apples :)

yeah man mint is badass, its my preferred laptop OS, all my serious stuff is done in windows on my rig, but mint is perfect for laptop use

yeah, semantics like I said in my first statement. Mr. Computer Pro who refuses to acknowledge the fact that PC means windows computer and Mac means mac. Don't forget your nametag

xD you stupid cunt xDxDxD

was lerking while this was funny, i think he got u dude, there is a difference between semantics and nomenclature. jus sayin bro

Dual booting windows/hackintosh. Windows for vidya, OS X for being productive

youre a gay faggot
btw im not calling you a happy bundle of sticks, which i would be if i followed your retarded logic of semantics and complete lack of understanding of etymology

have a nice pic to remind you of how retarded you are, because i know words arent your strong suit

Apple was making Personal Computers before IBM started making Personal Computers therefore Apple is the original PC maker.

lol seems we werent the only ones lurking

you are a retard - based off how you talk about technology it is clear you do not work in our industry. I am a sys admin for a large ISP, i talk to hundreds of technologists everyday( I think this means I am well exposed to the industry) and i can tell you that none of them think PC and Apple is in anyway different. A "PC" stands for "personal computer" - which is defined as a computer designed for use by one person at a time. The fact that one may run OSX,WINDOWS or LINUX is irrelevant - also MAC is a sub-model category of apple computers, so in your un-educated statement your are comparing 1 set of apple PCs against everything else and leaving out every other Apple computer.

this is a shame, the original guy who was trying to explain this to him has left and probably thinks he didnt get through to this moron, we shall avenge

Apple didn't make one called Apple PC.

"PC" was originally short for "IBM Personal Computer"

And then it became associated with Windows, and now all us prescriptionist assclowns are arguing about it.

its the b8 to outb8 all b8s

Also, for the longest time, Macs actually were different hardware and not IBM PC clones.

yes, we have established that, we are now trying to explain people are simply being pedantic morons if they expend this much energy trying to differentiate the two, when literally every other personal computer in the world regardless of OS is called a PC

Are any ARM computers called PCs yet?

We are not saying that apple made something called "apple pc" we are saying that any computer designed for use by one person at a time is defined as a Personal Computer ie "PC"

is ARM in the PC environment yet ? like for real ? or is it just in phones and stuff.

i guess if there was a choice of ARM cpu for x86 typew stuff then yeah it would be an ARM PC

the apple tards argument is flawed, its like saying i have a green piece of paper - most paper is white- so i wont call my green piece "paper"

i knew there was a good analogy for it, was just too stoned to think of it

thanks, but they will just come up with some other retarded argument why MAC isnt PC

There are ARM servers now, and ARM netbooks used to be a thing. It's making a resurgence with Chromebooks but other than that, not really.

to be fair though, most exclusive apple users are lay-people and steve jobs was brainwashing them for years that the machines were somehow different and special. It's left a legacy of people still thinking that macs are powered by magic

true, most still think that apple invented the computer and the mouse :P and the phone, tablet, and technology

>Nobody calls Mac's PC's unless they are being a cunt
>t.butthurt mactoddler

so at work if i need to prep a job with a bunch of laptops on it, ill think to myself "ok so this many latitude 6540's, this many hippo servers, this many macbooks, this many digital signage bricks....." in my head they are all fucking PC's and everyone else i work with agrees, i like anons green paper analogy too.

Even a sysadmin I work with isn't aware Apple's computers are PCs and can run Windows. So they always end up getting heavy noisy gamer shit for the company owners, instead of something light like they asked, because they *feel* it needs to have an i7 and shit.

thats more based on apple hardware being sht compared to custom built computers in terms of price vs performance- apple mac is like 2000 dollarrs but for that 2000 dollars one could build a super overkill computer that will run everything. Most people in technology that know anything stay away from apple which explains why he did know

"why he didnt know" sorry miss-typed

been using hackintosh for the past 5 years.

$100 for optiplex 780 with gt 610 and i'm shitposting on el capitan.

fuck you.

>love the thumb CMD key

Are you an ailien or are your hands fucked up?
Using the pinky on CTRL and still have the thumb for space or ALT at the same time is much more intuitive.

Neither. My thumb rests right next to Command when my hands are on the keyboard, it's much easier to move it a centimeter to the left than to move my pinky all the way from A to Control.

Apple hasn't released a good laptop since the MBPr first got released.

Their most recent MBP is an overpriced Nintendo DS.

t. poorfag who can't afford to consume conspicuously

A 5k monitor at 27" for a windows PC costs the same as the 5k imac, essentially you're getting the computer for free.

THe new macbooks are way overpriced though, noone will disagree with you there.

OS X blows Windows out of the water in terms of ease of use and intuitive-ness. Plus it has a UNIX-like structure so you can do all kinds of good shit with it if you want to rice/be a power user
Just because "it just werks" is a meme doesn't make it not true

Fuck actually paying for Apple hardware though; I'm a hackintosh man for life

>one can play video games
>the other costs twice as much for the same hardware

How do I get started ricing macOS? Is it hard to get a window manager running? Will my macOS apps work under the window manager or will I be stuck with X applications?

Install Alfred 3 (the powerpack is awesome but maybe not worth 20 bucks)
Install Geektool

I don't know anything about window managers, but you can easily create virtual desktops and pin applications to them. The thumb button on my mouse reveals all open windows and I can switch back and forth easily