videocardz.com/65825/first-amd-ryzen-7-1700x-benchmarks-are-here

wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-389-8-core-cpu-benchmarks-leaked/

old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

valid.x86.fr/pidssq
eteknix.com/amd-ryzen-architecture-features-revealed/
amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-heatpipe-NF-A15-140mm/dp/B00L7UZMAK
youtube.com/watch?v=y-bYSC6OT6s
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP3KE5690&cm_re=thermaltake_x9-_-11-133-275-_-Product
valid.x86.fr/pnfx9f
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Continuing from old thread, laptop guy who overclocks here. Decided to bench my processor and even with a cooler that hasn't been cleaned in 4 months I still beat the desktop i7-3370 in multi threaded performance.
valid.x86.fr/pidssq
You can see by the multiplier that it can on occasion reach the full 4Ghz boost clock. Also have it on balanced power mode. Didn't notice till I was about to post. Dang it.

*i7-3770 My bad.

First for, watercool Ryzen or GTFO.

AMD unlocked all chips, but you were still too lazy to overclock.
So guess what?
CPU overclocks for you!

That's right these chips automatically overclock. So they can attain speeds that would normally BSOD you for a time, PROVIDING you give it the ability to stay cool. Not 70c cool, but as near room temp for as long as possible. Overclocking scales with temperature.
Say at 20c it'll hit 4.3ghz. but as temps raises to 40c it'll go back to 4ghz and as it hits 60c back to stock speed.
An air cooler is only capable of removing so much heat at a time. But with water, it'll actually store that heat over a wide space allowing you to stay at a cooler temp for much much much longer giving you boost clocks off their na-na and stability at high and hot clocks manually set if it's a carryover function.

>The Precision Boost feature works alongside Pure Power to optimise performance and enact on-the-fly clock adjustments without queue drains which provide higher performance at the same power draw. Also, the CPU can be tuned with 25MHz increments. Next up is the Extended Frequency Range (XFR) which automatically scales the frequency based on the thermal loads and cooling apparatus while permitting frequencies beyond the standard Precision Boost limits.
eteknix.com/amd-ryzen-architecture-features-revealed/

Air coolers BTFO

who was on internet during athlon days? how was it? no leaks? did bulldozer leak like this?
I need some estimates from history.

its not like there are even any good games to play

pc gaming is dead

>$389 chip
>faster than $300 chip
Well it should be I've seen i7-7700k on sale for like $309 just last week.

>An air cooler is only capable of removing so much heat at a time. But with water, it'll actually store that heat over a wide space allowing you to stay at a cooler temp for much much much longer giving you boost clocks off their na-na and stability at high and hot clocks manually set if it's a carryover function.

So you have to break up your load intensive tasks so your water cooler can cool down again after it reaches the point where it's basically the same as an air cooler?

It gives a higher headroom for 'burst' clocks. Where as air has a tendency yo reach it's thermal intake point quickly.
For most users they'd only peak out CPU's for 1-5 mins at a time.
To put it in perspective. My 8350 was reaching 70-72c on air in around 10-20sec's. But on water it's at 38-39c and takes 2-5mins to get to that temp, because there's much more matter to soak up that heat. That time it takes to soak up heat is beneficial to the new XFR function. The quicker the chip heats up, the less time of boost you'll have.
And we all know lower temps are best for clock speeds.
Really this is a game changer. Literally just equipping a better cooler is an upgrage to the tech illiterate, as it will result in overclocking by default.
The real aim of the game will be keeping the die temp as low as possible for as long as possible. And Water is what gives you that advantage there.
The auto clocking will go by temperature overheads. As in how much can I clock at at this temperature in this instant. Not a predefined max that is hard set.
Air cooling blocks will not be able to 'respond' to burst frequency's like water cooling. As they have a heatsink that is much warmer than watercooling.

I think we'll have to wait and see. The majority of people using Ryzen probably won't be using liquid cooling. I doubt they'd design that feature to be dependent upon it. I think you'll see decent boost clocks on air.

Not other user, but I would kek so hard if their drivers would work poorly and set the pc on fire (and the house) because of shitty drivers.

Yes, air will still see a free overclock curiosity of XFR. But water will get more advantage out of it for much longer.
We'll know more when time comes. But for now it's really fun speculating on this feature.
I already know testing in the AMD labs was done with 400W pelter plates. So, hint hint.

Good thing they're not made by nVida then. They'd be back to 1Ghz by the end of 2018.

You're retarded dude. Both have a limit to how much heat they can remove. The difference is that it takes longer to warm up the water than the metal, there are plenty of air coolers that can keep up to within a degree or two with your standard AIOs

The NH-D15 says hi :)

Exactly.
Under an absurd 340w load an NH D15 will show less than a 30 degree temp delta over idle.
A 22c room and the CPU is only at 50.8c with a fucking 340w power draw.

Big tower coolers are more than enough.

>I have no idea how watercooling works

The pricing tho, Ouch!

They're only $85. The pricing on Newegg is fucked up from some chink vendor.
amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-heatpipe-NF-A15-140mm/dp/B00L7UZMAK

>The difference is that it takes longer to warm up the water than the metal
That's exactly the point. Water will net you a longer boost time before warming up causing the boost scaling to go down. These chip's aren't a flat overclock. They're dynamic.
Yeah, for a non dynamic overclock. Where it'll operate at the same frequency no matter the temp. The point of XFR is to take advantage of low CPU load time where the chip and cooling system is colder and maximize performance should you need it in that instant. By having more sink you can prolong this boost.
If you're running at 100% all the time this effect will 'time out' as the system gets to operating temp. But for most users that's not the case.

With Ryzen it's not a matter of overclocking for 100% load sustained for an hour anymore. It's about tuning to your needs, and taking advantage of low temps if ya got em, or can get them, and sustain them.

I'm glad for AMD that they perform so well and they are so much competitive with those prices, but for people in general I don't think that's important. Most people have a CPU

AMD will most likely be putting out 6 core products at prices similar to the Core i5 range.

What is wrong with the way your brain works?
The cooler can sustain a chip dumping 340 watts of heat into it. It can handle that over any time frame, whether its years or microseconds. You'll never run into a scenario where the cooler would fail unless you put more heat into it, which is pretty unrealistic.
The VRM on the board will fail before the CPU cooler.

I'm probably going to upgrade from my 2500k to a 1700x unless the 6 core has better performance per core.
As long as future benchmarks look good and I can use my NH-D15.

So if I'm doing some intensive task over a long period of time, such as playing a video game for several hours, or do a video encoding job set to take hours, the advantages of water cooling with XFR can basically be thrown out the window because the CPU begins to throttle itself anyway. Either that or it remains at max boost clock indefinitely anyway because the cooling solution inplace doesn't let the CPU reach any higher temps and we're hitting XFR's built-in ceiling. Is that right?

Closed loops suck big time dude.
Not because the radiator size, the tubing or the fans but because the fucking pump is inside the CPU block.

You can have water at 20ºC and the CPU will still hit highs 70ºC because the CPU block is too cramped and heat can't be transfered fast enough.

By the way, when you see a "liquid temperature" report from a closed loop what you are seeing is actually the temperature of the copper plate inside the CPU block and not the water itself.

Also If you think this auto OC is going to be better than a manual OC you're delusional.

To begin with this will be more conservative than a manual OC just by the simple fact that not all the silicon is the same, some will clock higher than others, some will have more voltage leakage and more heat output.

This XFR sounds like what motherboard manufactures have been doing with the UEFI auto OC utilities but now built in the CPU.

The entire point of water cooling is to increase radiator area. Heatpipes carry away heat better than water so unless you are using a large radiator water cooling is pointless.

Yeah, but it's at a disadvantage because it's still got a fair amount of warmth down at the head. Making it quicker to reach a higher temperature than water cooling that has water remove the excess heat as it passes by. Making the system temp raise as a whole and taking longer because of volume. Netting sustained lower temperature that will give you higher clocks for longer from the XFR function.
Yeah. As the die temp raises XFR will adjust clocks to suit. But you'll still get an advantage for the first 5-10 mins while the water heats up. But on air it'll get to it's upper operating limit a lot faster thus lowering the clock speed in the first 10secs-2mins depending on loads ect.

>This XFR sounds like what motherboard manufactures have been doing with the UEFI auto OC utilities but now built in the CPU.

Its not, but the other retard has no idea what it is either.
Its not auto adjusting base or boost state clock speeds. The CPU just has no fixed upper point in its pstates. If the chip is kept cool enough, and it can hit 4.3ghz for a micro second while staying inside of TDP, it will do it. The more cooling you have the more frequency you can gain, but this isn't magic. A transistor is still very much a physical thing with finite properties. Like anything else you reach a point of diminishing returns where increased cooling capacity stops netting you frequency gains because you've already eliminated a high degree of leakage in what is already a low leakage device.

Its just giving you average higher clock speeds under load when available without increasing power consumption. Cooler transistors will leak less and can switch faster, so XFR exploits that.

XFR does not increase TDP. A 95w chip with a 95w power target will never pump absurd amounts of heat into a cooler.
A Noctua NH D15 can handle a 340w load and laugh it off. A 95w chip is nothing for it.

You're just dumber than a box of Celerons.

I don't know if more than 4 cores matters that much regarding what I do on my computer. I think all will be a question of price and if there is similar performances on the programs I use daily.

How fucking disappointing. Guess I'll hold on to the 2500K for another 5 or so years.

>XFR does not increase TDP
I never fucking said that.
> A 95w chip with a 95w power target will never pump absurd amounts of heat into a cooler.
You don't say.
> The more cooling you have the more frequency you can gain
So then he was right al along.
>but the other retard has no idea what it is either.
You've literally only said what he has. Stop tugging yourself.
He's been explaining how to take advantage of the function by maintaining a lower temp for longer and pissing off air heads in the process. All you've done is confirmed everything he's said.

Have fun waiting for the new Intel architecture coming in 2021.

They come out with new sockets etc all the time. I'll be fine.

What baffles me is that despite being a AMD user for decades, they never actually cared for the ITX form factor.

I'm forced to used Intel for decent performance on ITX.

>responding to posts directed to two different posts as if they were all directed to one
Trying to defend yourself by pretending to be another person?
If this isn't a samefag fail its top tier retardation on display.

>He's been explaining how to take advantage of the function by maintaining a lower temp for longer
He(you) has been rambling like a schizophrenic, stating things that are flat out false about how a heat sink works. You don't need a huge water cooling loop which is his argument. Its not even remotely true.
Keeping at chip at 40c vs 45c isn't going to give you any real gains in sustained frequency. XFR is providing small boosts, not massive frequency gains. Leakage power as a percentage of total power is incredibly low for FinFET devices, keeping the chip in a normal operating range is going to give you the same benefit.

You must have gone to special ed on the front side bus.

What does a socket have to do with anything?

youtube.com/watch?v=y-bYSC6OT6s

As in
>they change sockets all of the time anyway so there's no optimal time to upgrade with Intel
and
>New Intel architectures haven't resulted in massive IPC improvements since Sandy Bridge

>XFR is providing small boosts, not massive frequency gains
>If the chip is kept cool enough, and it can hit 4.3ghz
>for a micro second while staying inside of TDP,
Because all we know thus far is that "Extended Frequency Range (XFR) which automatically scales the frequency based on the thermal loads and cooling apparatus while permitting frequencies beyond the standard Precision Boost limits"
>thermal loads and cooling apparatus
>and cooling apparatus
>cooling apparatus
Keeping the chip cool will always allow higher clocks while staying inside of TDP. The cooler you can keep the chip, the more hertz you can have per a given set of parameters. Now booting to your theoretical 4.3 will as a result in more heat raising temps that then in turn will throttle back XFR. But it's doubtful that it will crash back to the stock frequency when there is still thermal overhead to take advantage of.
>You don't need a huge water cooling loop which is his argument. Its not even remotely true.
Thermal dynamics. Hot into cold > hot into hot. That's where the base design of the air cooling heat sinks falls short in this system of a dynamic CPU.
This is new tech, it does not conform to traditional overclocking principles where you take it to the max and tweak out frequency there till it's just stable at the best temp the cooler you've got can dissipate. It's close to being the opposite. To take advantage you need temps to swing slowly. The slower it take to get to max temperature the better. But you cannot see this for some bizarre reason. Cognitive dissonance, look into it.

Schizo:
Chips tend to run hot at high frequency not because of the frequency, but because of the supply voltage. Raising frequency alone has negligible effect on power consumption and heat output when supply voltage is fixed.
What keeping a chip cool does is lower leakage current so less voltage is wasted at a given input level. Less wasted heat will give marginally higher thermal margin to exploit.
Again, a D15 can handle an absurd 340w load while having a temp delta of less than 30c. 340w. We're talking about exploiting tiny momentary frequency uplifts in a 95w chip, which is still going to be limited by its power target. This is not a matter of hot into hot, the heat sink is fucking cool. 50c at 340w is cool. XFR is calling for a tcase max of 60c, and a D15 is keeping a 340w chip at 50c.
Pull your head out of your ass.

Inside of a 95w power target there will still be a practical max frequency that can be achieved, cooling the chip beyond a certain point does nothing. You are insisting that a water loop is necessary, and this is based on literally nothing but a product of your mental illness. You hit the power limits before you hit thermal limits, and frequency can't increase any more. XFR is not magic. Neither is water cooling. I doubt you've even taken a physics class in your life, let alone gotten a diploma of any sort.

Why you are defending a 5 minute performance boost so hard is beyond me. Why dont you fucking run a phase change cooler then, that'll actually have a real world,effect. Its a gimmick if the performance boost of a few percents is for 10 minutes.

Your thermal dynamics explanation is retarded too. Like seriously retarded. You neglect the fact that all water loops will reach an equilibrium temperature, where your hot > cold trip falls apart. What makes a difference is ducking surface area, do you think heat pipes are really that inefficient at transferring heat?

A 5-10 minute boost is a fucking gimmick.

The 1700 feels like the one to get, so long as its priced fairly. Hopefully it'd be a nice leap over my i3.

Not sure what GPU to pair it with however. Since i'm still slumming it at 1080 i'm pretty sure just a 480 will be fine rather than going "all in" with vega.

>A 5-10 minute boost is a fucking gimmick.
if it's activated on higher loads it's not. Doubt it does that.

$360

What the fuck is this watercool assburgers problem?
Spend shitload of money to theoretically gain a marginal performance gains after a COLD BOOT. Shits fucking retarded

>What the fuck is this watercool assburgers problem?
$80 nocturna VS a $100 AIO. Kinda self explanatory. Then theirs the want for maximum potential out of a new feature. And this is a board for the discussion of tech. I hope you had an interesting read and even learn something.
>Why you are defending a 5 minute performance boost so hard is beyond me.
On behalf of normalfag gamers that don't know how/are afraid of overclocking. They're the ones who will benefit from it.
>Why dont you fucking run a phase change cooler then
Already looking into sub cooling via peltier plates.

You're not going to get any additional frequency when you're loading all cores in Prime95. The model that justifies something like XFR existing is average frequency over time in selection of nominal workloads and games. If you get 3%-5% higher average clocks for no power consumption increase then why not? Thats what it does. Its not some dramatic game changing thing, but its worthwhile for a brand new arch trying to squeeze out ever ounce of performance to impress reviewers.

Maybe some serious post purchase rationalization, or maybe hes just nuts.

I really hope we arnt raked by motherboards. Ideally the chipsets will be cheap enough that they can undercut Intel significantly.

No. Normalfags have nothing to gain. Nobody plays for 5 minutes. U're retarded

On behalf of normal fag gamers who probably play for extended periods of time.
Do you think a control scheme that over shoots what it can sustain is a good thing?

Top end X370 boards are allegedly in the $200 range, not priced like high end X99 boards.

I'm sure theirs enough games that max out CPU's infrequently enough to warrant it. And will only be more in future.
>All games run CPU's at 100% all of the time
Oh how on earth does someone argue with that infallible logic.

Does anyone know if the heatsinks are going to be compatible with AM3+ heatsinks?

I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of Bulldozer leaks back then. I don't think I saw any back in the Athlon 64 or 64 x2 days though.

>Oh how on earth does someone argue with that infallible logic.
You have no logic

it might increase average low in games, since it would only boost in heavy scenes

XD muh cpu isnt maxed out but I need more performance
If a game spikes and demands more cpu load you might be playing a shit game that was made by retarded code monkeys
Its a gimmick and why do you assume games will take less cpu in the future? Do you think cpu utilization will drop with new games on the same chip?

nobody freaking measured anything in CES, and they could
Everyone announced new brackets for am4, might be just marketing or they put something near socket that would block old am3 brackets.

In same boat, I really do not want to buy a new cooler.

AM4 socket is wider so AM3 backplates are incompatible and needs to be changed. HSFs with only clip mechanism are compatible

and when new proper am4 coolers come to my hellhole nobody knows
I'd be able to buy cpu day one but not cooler
box cooler it is

I meant games conforming to a thermal arc that isn't keeping it at high degrees all the time, so when it does kick up processing requirement XFR can come into play.
>XD muh cpu isnt maxed out but I need more performance
The fuck? I think you need reading comprehension classes.

AMD Wraith cooler isn't that bad imo. Its close to a evo 212.

It's very good, especially compared to Intel's abominations.

Remember: Water cooling is inherently garbage that will inevitably break.

>scenes don't last for more than a few seconds
Do you really think that a cpu that's under moderate to high loads won't immediately rise in temperature when being pegged, and more frequency being pulled out of it? The rate at which a dye temperature will fluctuate is high

that's how GPUs work though, they seem not to care at all

on single core it got same score as 6950k

amd on 3.4ghz v 3.0ghz intel. pretty disappointing desu

Synthetic benchmarks don't translate to real world performance, no game on the planet runs a the core frontend at 100%, you'll more than likely see that 12% difference in clock/perf drop to 2-4% in "games"

All core turbo on Broadwell-E is not the base frequency, and the Ryzen chip is not utilizing its turbo.

The Broadwell-E chip will be using turbo boost, probably to 4 GHz in that single-threaded benchmark.

>8 thread Ryzen costs as much as a i3-7350K
>12 thread Ryzen costs as much as a i5-7600K
>16 thread Ryzen costs as much as a i7-7700K

The 6950X can hit 4ghz on one core, its all core turbo is 3.4ghz.
The 6900k hits 3.7ghz on one core, 3.5ghz on all.
The 6850k hits 3.8ghz one core, I think its 3.7ghz all core, but I can't recall off the top of my head.

The scores there are all over the place, variance probably from different test systems. Thats the issue with using a shitty bench like Passmark. The results simply don't make any sense. In a single core workload the 6950X should always come out on top if the systems were equal.

Those benchmark numbers are fakes that someone generated and uploaded to passmark database. The idiot copied the cache numbers from wccftech article that has them listed wrong, the real cpus have 64kb L1I and 32kb L1D per core, not the other way around.

Graphic shows 6900k @ 3.20 GHz is faster than 6850k @ 3.60 GHz at single core mate.
It should be obvious that this is not an IPC benchmark but a mishmash of baselines with turboing going on at background

Well you're right about the L1s being reported wrong there.

>ywn be so much of a shill that you marry your build

You know there is a parody point right?

let's say you have a d15, and you have 240rad aio

now lets prime95 this bitch

the d15 will hit its parody point faster, lets say its around 65-75c but the cpu just can not push it any higher than this. If you evacuate the air from the case, it will only intake cooler air, and you will never see a higher spike in use.

with water cooling you will at best extend the parody point out a few minutes where nothing you do can make that damn cooler any hotter

both can have that same parody point, and unless amd does something absoulutely fuckign retarded, like spike up to lets say 5ghz sees the temp gets to 60c then kills off its entire oc down to 3.4 then once its cool spikes to 5ghz again, its likely going to do this

startup, need to relearn what it can do
wait for a load and push it, to boost and see what that does
once boost hits the parody point, lets push it higher and step shit up in increments waiting for a parody point each time and deciding can the cpu take more, and once it finds its point it cant take more but its comfortable at this speed, that's what it will boost to, until the parody is broken by dust or total room temperature forcing it to go lower.

At least that's how I would do it and I consider myself retarded so amd has to do something at least as good as what I just said.

aren't these cpus overclocked in this image? i've heard that this one is without overclocks

depending on how smart the xfr system is, it may get you close to peak oc, or even potentially better sustainable oc, if the cpu has as many checks as it is said to, that will be a fuck load of data, and more so then up the multiplier and run a test... did ti pass, up it again, it failed? up the voltage and try again.

maybe the cpu can figure out on its own when something is fucking up or when something can be pushed harder and can do it automatically.

I mean yea, took good to be true but mother fucker we should always dream big and push others to do better.

NO, you fucking idiot NO
god damnit, do you people just fucking ignore what is on cases? look at this
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP3KE5690&cm_re=thermaltake_x9-_-11-133-275-_-Product

you see those rubber parts? you fee the fucking tubes through that and take the radiator out of the fucking case, he'll, put the radiator outside of the fucking room.

If anyone has a custom loop and doesn't take advantage of this, they are fucking retarded.

I mean for fuck sake, you have literally ONE good use for a custom loop and every fucking faggot refuses to put the rads and shit outside of the case.

If you do it right, it wont, outside of wear and tear and you can say that about any fan

someone try to persuade me from being hyped for ryzen

athlon 64 leaked 8 months in advance by canard pc.

bulldozer we had them telling us it was worse single core, but so much better multi core, and it was, what no one expected is it would be WORSE single core then the prior cpu, the phenom II

Your mom will recommend you get it because it's cheaper.

its close enough that the only reason you go with an evo is because you want to put a powerful fan on it, hell, it's better than the phenom II cooler, you know, the cooler that amd gave you that was able to overclock with and was designed for 125 watt cpus.

my mom only wants the best for her special boy

My buddy takes advantage of the fact that he literally lives in him basement and uses high pressure pumps to a 55 gallon drum of ice cold water, no radiator at all. How's that for a custom loop?

head room, NEVER and i mean that fucking NEVER overlook how much more headroom is really worth, we are looking at a 2600k and questioning if anything is even worth upgrading to STILL while people who have an i3 of that generation... the pain they feel is real.

is the drum outside or what? how does he keep it cool?

Can't calculate primes for shit

Had the exact same idea, not basement, but just getting a 10-20 gallon bucket, put some bleach into it and add ice periodically

I mean seriously, if you have the ability why not?

I made the argument with my little brother when he built his, why not pump the water from his computer out to a external rad, and put the rad into a bucket of ice water and have a shitty water pump inside to spin the water, that way he could do without fans and could just dump some ice into it. snf never have his room heat up... but no, he went with a sub 100ml reservoir and put everything inside his case and his room get sweltering even with the ac on full blast.

depending on drum size, just evaporation alone from it would likely be able to keep it cool enough I mean it can dissipate heat faster then you could heat the entire bucket up unless you are rendering 24/7

even then its sub 200 watts trying to heat up a 55 gallon drum. you really want to keep it cold, you could just pump the water out and add in nice ice cold tap water.

Have you ever been in a real basement? Shit tends to be cold all year round.

intel hasn't had a new core arch for over 20 years, what they are using a heavily built up pentium 3

yes a few times. but the ambient heat has to dissipate some way.

Because a laptop from 2014 still kicking. I really need an upgrade soon. All this overclocking is making me giddy. Lets hope desktop chips in laptops will come back for the Clevo or MSI line. valid.x86.fr/pnfx9f

Really too bad they don't make laptops with new graphics cards with older processors. "How much do we need to pay to ensure you use our newer inferior processors over this older beast"

>Really too bad they don't make laptops with new graphics cards with older processors. "How much do we need to pay to ensure you use our newer inferior processors over this older beast"
A processor is more than just its performance. It's a platform. It has utility. It has new features. Faster USB ports, AES, virtualization support, that sort of thing. People completely ignore this like it's just whatever because the performance is close. Make sure you inspect each new feature.