So how much of my data is google stealing when I use their DNS?

So how much of my data is google stealing when I use their DNS?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/5311
developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/privacy
engadget.com/2016/10/21/googles-redefined-privacy-policy-lets-ads-follow-you-everywhere/
prism-break.org/en/
opennicproject.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=yzyafieRcWE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

all of it

Well that isn't good.

They aren't stealing anything you are choosing to give it to them.

Google is going to be my next government anyway so I give all of my data to google instead of half assed isp dns servers

Ranking goes as follows:

- low-IQ retards use Google's DNS
- stupid people use ISP's DNS
- tech-illiterate people use unencrypted DNS
- smarter people use encrypted DNS to a DNS provider that does not keep logs and is situated in a country that cannot or will not respond to a warrant from the country where they reside in
- smartest people host their own DNS server and encrypt all incoming DNS traffic

Personally, I fall into smarter category since I don't host my own DNS but use DNS over encrypted tunnel from Russia. Russia is perfect because they will never respond to a subpoena from US or any other western nation.

DNS logging is what ISPs do to comply with surveillance and it's an amazing source of data to profile people. You can immediately categorize people and determine who they are and whether they are a threat of any kind simply by looking at their DNS requests and doing ML on that data. You can tell whether they're gay or not, have pets, married, have kids etc etc.

DNS data is a better way to track people than those JS snippets in pages. That's why so many advertising companies, like Google, provide free DNS.

Source: I worked for a large ISP.

Well you can assume they're probably keeping a log of every website you query. I'd guess its a better than even chance that they're at least trying to tie this to your real identity.

I'm still tech illiterate.
DNS like in Domain Naming System?
Thing that resolves IP addresses to domains?
How is Google related to this? There is pricing for that?
How do I know whose DNS I'm using?
How can I set it up like you did?

Are you serious? Do you know how DNS works? You give them whatever IPs you resolve.

Nothing of value, really. They get your visited websites but since 99% of all traffic is concentrated to 100 websites it doesn't really say a lot.

literally every ip address or hostname you resolve

/thread

Unbound + DNSCrypt masterrace here

I currently use pdnsd but it is pretty much abandonware at this point, last release is from 2012 or something.
Should i switch to unbound? Is it good?

You are stupid. Most DNS resolvers don't have EDNS support so routing to CDNs will be awfully messed up

Suggest something better then.

They're not stealing anything.
You still have your data, they're only making copies of it.

Tell that to the MPIAA when they sue you for downloading the latest blockbuster.

Use ISP DNS or Google DNS. You can run your own recursor but query times will be slow as hell

really makes you think

you find the one that has, RETARD.

So you are literally voluntarily feeding the google botnet while actually arming yourself and your freedom.

So what should I use for hosting my own DNS server? Got a spare laying around, software should I go with?

>Russian servers
>Not getting spied on
2/10, made me respond

can russia put you in jail? do they give a fuck about you? no. they can't do shit to you.

>current year
>using googles DNS
>not using the superior OpenDNS resolver

Ayy lmao

I used pdnsd and dnscrypt-proxy on CentOS, the latter can be installed from repo, the former needs to be compiled from source.
This morning I replaced pdnsd with unbound installed from repo, everything works fine and I feel a bit better not using a 5 years old software.

The point is to not use a DNS placed in a country that is known to share data and collaborate with your home country.

Fpbp

So how would I go about hosting my own DNS server?

>googles it

Uncle Vlad, pls

But Uncle Vlad has cute cats for everyone

i would like to know this too. need a replacement since pdnsd has been removed from debian. can unbound serve from /etc/hosts ?

>not having direct access to .com, .net and .gov TLDs
shiggity

Do you use Google Public NTP?
github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/5311

If dnsmasq could also do recursive resolving it would be perfect

Se this:

>You can tell whether they're gay
but can they know if I'm a trap???????

> Russia is perfect because they will never respond to a subpoena from US or any other western nation.

> The point is to not use a DNS placed in a country that is known to share data and collaborate with your home country.

Can't be so sure about that anymore.

I use DNSJumper to auto select the best nearby DNS for speed/efficiency sake and for me it's a level3 server. How fucked am I?

Obviously. You frequent known trap sites and have watched youtube tutorials on how to wrap up your junk and dd makeup.

Smart people use the closest encrypted DNS and DNS caching for regular sites they visit, and avoid everything google.

i work for level3. we work very closely with the government...in various ways. if that's a concern for you, then you should switch.

however, there's nobody looking at that shit. but, they could if they wanted to.

How long do you keep logs? I read nsa gets logs from isps and keeps them for a year

in the CDN, not long. i don't even know if we archive those. it's very duct tape and bailing wire type of administration.

can uncle Vlad put you in jail? can uncle Vlad combine all the data collected on you? no. so love uncle Vlad.

On one hand I'm happy they are incompetent but on the other hand I'm concerned

What latency are you getting from Russia? Why not pick an encrypted dns closest to you?

Russia is close enough if you're in Europe.

very low latency for search. they have CDNs all over. I also use their image search because it's GOAT.

in fact, I found out about Yandex from 4chanX extension that has links to yandex beside every image. after I started looking for images, Yandex almost always came out at the top. it not only foudn images but it found biggest res images. then I discovered their search... which is GOAT because there's no DMCAs so all the piracy shit is still in the index and you can find RARs of most of the popular albums.

anyway, even their browser is awesome since it encrypts DNS and has DNS poisoning protection.

no idea who runs/own Yandex but that company is doing something right.

don't mistake incompetence for indifference.

>- smarter people use encrypted DNS to a DNS provider that does not keep logs and is situated in a country that cannot or will not respond to a warrant from the country where they reside in
>
hahahaha

There is no evidence Google uses your DNS data for any other Google services.

developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/privacy

This is a public legal document that they could get sued over if they lied about.

If you're worried about government tracking, the government can use PRISM to get DNS records from any US company. So you'd have to roll your own.

>trusting google
kek'd. you're a fucking shithead.

Google has changed their policy hundreds of times already. Every time they create some new service, they put a lax privacy policy in place and then when the service becomes dominant, they switch privacy policies.

What's fucking devious is that OLD DATA then comes under the new privacy policy and you can't do shit about it. You gave them the right to mine all that old data, to collate it and to figure out which part apply to you.

Never trust Google. EVER!

engadget.com/2016/10/21/googles-redefined-privacy-policy-lets-ads-follow-you-everywhere/

Anyway, only a fucking newfag would still fall for Google's old ruse.

Here are some sources that might help.
prism-break.org/en/
and
opennicproject.org/

I already have gotten rid of as much botnet as possible.
>Google Public DNS permanently logs your ISP and location information for analysis. Your ip-address is also stored for 24 hours.

Yandex is Russian botnet. It's pretty good for search/image/torrents though. Just know it's Russian and they do monitor their own infrastructure like most countries that aren't Zimbabwe. I wouldn't trust the Russians but the enemy of my enemy is my friend is likely applicable here. Enemy being our own government and multinational corporations.

Same person you were responding to. This sounds plausible, but is there evidence? Doesn't seem like it would be legal to collect data under one policy and use it under another.

However, a loophole would be "your continued use of this service implies acceptance of the new policy". Only way out of that is to not use the service anymore.

>. This sounds plausible, but is there evidence?
Google was sued over that type of shit dozens of times.

Plug this into your search engine of choice: google privacy policy lawsuit

They win most of them or pay $1-5million fines which is fucking nothing since they make hundreds of millions by changing policies.

Thanks, friendo.

There's a documentary called Terms And Conditions Apply about how companies get away with this stuff

>Terms And Conditions Apply
unbelievable.

youtube.com/watch?v=yzyafieRcWE

Never trust Facebook. Never trust Google.

Is there an offline DNS database that you can download to your computer and use it?