The future of HDRips and the quality of YIFY-like rips

So Sup Forums.

Let's watch a movie.
For the purpose of this question imagine you're all Australian.

You only got 1,5G of data to spend on it.

Both rips are made from the same source material

First Rip:
>480p resolution
>video: h264@1980kbps
>audio: ac3@256kbps
>1,36GB

Second Rip:
>1080p
>video: h264@2000kbps
>audio: ac3@96kbps
>1,42GB

Which one do you choose?

What are your priorities when downloading your unauthorized copies of movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=92768
ghostbin.com/paste/zbbb7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My priorities are usually how fast I need it. If I want to watch the movie now, whatever is about 1gb and has alot of seeds. If its one of my favorites, then I'll get a copy that's 2-3gb.

I never get archival copies or whatever you call those 15gb rips you yards like to get. Waste of space for something I'm going to watch once or twice every other year.

Sure thing, but which one from the two examples would you pick?

Second one, my dude, second one.

video: AV1
audio: Opus @ 80kbps

Maybe if compression efficiency is your concern, stop using formats from nearly two decades ago.

Since I'm usually using headphones as long as it sounds decent enough over simple ass stereo then the video quality is prob the higher priority out of the 2 if I have to pick between only one being excelent.

>480p
is it anamorphic 480p or square-pixel 480p?

AV1 is still in development.

I'd prefer the first one. Normally I aim for 5-6GB 720p rips.

This

anoxmous rips are okay too but mostly the SPARKS rips of newer movies

The first one with a good upscaler will look tremendously better than the second one, which is terribly bitstarved, meaning it will often lack detail and will look absolutely awful during fast action sequences. 1.36GB is within the ideal range for a proper 480p rip. A media player with a good upscaler isn't hard to setup at all. MPC-HC w/madvr if you're retarded, mpv if you're not.

>What are your priorities when downloading your unauthorized copies of movies?
If it's a new movie with only a scene rip, I'll get that, but then delete it and get a better rip later. If it's a movie with an HDB group rip, definitely get that, to the point of preferring 720p over 1080p, or else go for an AHD group.

First one because its not bitrate starved for that resolution. Then ill upscale it with madVR with NGU image doubling+Jinc upscaling.

>>audio: ac3@96kbps

ugh yeah no, the first one. I'll just watch the movie without my glasses on so it won't be that much of a difference :^)

Go for the higher quality SD encode, because you can properly upscale it. Also, fuck that 96kbps audio. Audiobooks use a better standard than that

screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=92768

>1.5GB of data to spend

Wut

At those bitrates x265.

>The first one with a good upscaler will look tremendously better than the second one, which is terribly bitstarved,

isnt the second one basically a pre-upscaled version?
i would imagine it done preemtivelly and not on real time via software would render a better picture, as for hardware upscallers, wouldnt software ones that arent onthefly be just as competent?

its not like the greater number of pixels will mean the second option will be blurier, doesnt video compression algorithms works with varying sizes of blocks?

but i would get 480 just because if its going to be blury shit anyways, might as well be in native small resolution to watch on netbooks and etc

>HDB group
>AHD group.
a what?
> preferring 720p over 1080p
you mean HDB 720 over scenerip 1080?

what the fuck am I reading

why isn't h265 catching on?

Because a lot of people usually have hardware that doesn't decode it.

Doesnt help that most x265 are re encodes

>MPC-HC w/madvr if you value image quality, mpv if you're not.
Fixed it for you, man. No problem.

>its not like the greater number of pixels will mean the second option will be blurier
Except it does, because it has 4x as many pixels with the same bitrate.

>a what?
HDB = DON, CtrlHD, EA
AHD = de[42], D-ZON3, HiFi
Those tags at the end of a filename are significant.
>you mean HDB 720 over scenerip 1080?
Basically.

H.265 is still fairly new. Additionally, H.265 is better suited for low bitrates (the ones in OP) and many P2P encoders avoid it for that reason.

>madvr
rad placeboware you got there bub.

t. happy vlc user.

Considering re-encoding what I have to h265, but they key is, I want to set the g265 settings in a way that it doesnt (or barely) reduces the quality. I know the space gains will be 10-30% at most depending on the source..

However, h264 encodes dont tell how how they were encoded... so I cant pick an equivalent or sightly higher setting... was considering sorting videos by bitrate, and guesstimating from there.

>h264 encodes dont tell how how they were encoded
Check out the doom9 forums. I've heard it's a pretty good resource for video encoding.

To add on to this, look up a program called Mediainfo. It can tell you the exact settings an h.264 video used for encoding.

>Mediainfo
thanks famm that actually helps a lot just tried it.

Only additional thing would be an easy way to detect video thats damaged (that looks OK but when you play it it stops after a few minutes due to interrupted DL or bad torrent).

>an easy way to detect video thats damaged
Anime encoders often include a checksum in the filename:
[PuyaSubs!] Gintama S4 - 06 [1080p][868D869A].mkv
The last tag [868D...] is a checksum. If the video doesn't match that checksum, it's damaged. I don't know exactly what kind of checksum, but it'd probably be easy to look up. Unfortunately, most other video encodes don't include this checksum, but that was the only thing I could think of. For interrupted downloads, you could try re-downloading the .torrent file or getting the magnet link, adding it to your torrent client and setting the download location to where the already-downloaded movie is, and telling your client to re-check the file. If it doesn't pass the check (if the client says it still needs to download), the file is bad.

>imagine you're all Australian.
>You only got 1,5G of data to spend on it.
And, apparently, still on dial-up.
Get with the NBN, OP.
$60 a month for 100MBs and 1TB.

>1TB cap
lol, seriously?
This is me on copper line so my speeds are shit

Is that Mbit/s or MB/s?

>all those retards failing to answer the simplest fucking question and instead arguing whether you should switch to x265 or ridiculing your player of choice

No fucking shit people call this place Sup Forumseddit

>HDB = DON, CtrlHD, EA
>AHD = de[42], D-ZON3, HiFi
>Those tags at the end of a filename are significant.
for sure, but you just grouped several groups under a single initialism, i still dont see the significance, are AHD groups betters than HDB groups?

1080p. I'll take a hit on sound for it to not have to stretch.

>100MBs and 1TB.
so you got 2 hours worth of internet huh

I'll take the 480p release because it has 256kbps audio. 96kbps is pathetic.

1080p at 2000kbps would be very hard to tell the difference from 480p a 1980kbps scaled to 1080p. That is just too low of a bitrate for 1920x1080.

But what you really want to do is use a more advanced codec like HEVC.

The only thing I bother with nowadays for archive purposes meaning stuff I actually want to keep around is 1080p 10-bit x265 and nothing else which replaces the collection I've built up over the past few years of 720p x264 content.

The group or whatever known as UTR has great encodes with 10-bit x265 and I haven't happened upon one so far that I have had any problems with. Don't give a fuck about anything larger in terms of resolution, 4K or more is just a complete fucking waste of bits, and since I don't own a full blown home theater setup I don't give a fuck about 7.1 audio either and will sometimes transcode the AC3 or DTS audio into plain old high bitrate stereo 'cause I don't give a fuck and that's enough for me.

OP: I wouldn't bother with either of those rips but instead look for the content in x265 which would probably end up being the same or a similar file size but better quality due to x265 being capable of producing similar visual quality with half the bitrate when it's done right - that works out to meaning the same size encode *should* look better at the same bitrate without any issues.

It's all x265/h.265 for me from now on except for one-shot viewing of TV shows which I'll grab in the SD format (720x404), watch 'em then delete.

The HDB groups (full list ghostbin.com/paste/zbbb7 ) all come from and upload their releases to a site called HDB. The AHD groups all release to another site called AHD.
The HDB groups are generally better (the cream of the crop) but the AHD groups are very good nontheless. A common critique of AHD is that their releases are commonly bloated (too large for what they should be)