/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Consider a G4560 instead of i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 6500/7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build.
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any locked CPU build without a Z mobo.
>Consider a H110/B150 (UEFI needs update before installing a Kaby Lake CPU) or B250 mobo for any Pentium or i3 build.
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build or even budget builds instead of a HDD.
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050Ti, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

windows7themes.net/en-us/fix-atikmpag-sys-atikmdag-sys-blue-screen-errors-bsod/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125880&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
pcpartpicker.com/list/L8WxtJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/pjqcm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/Qfvgpb
youtube.com/watch?v=dYHVUrXOwbI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How do I do it "properly"?

I've used Display Driver Uninstaller, then installed from the latest AMD Rx400 driver on AMD's website. Also tried the driver that came on the disk with the card and had the same problem.

did you reboot after using DDU before installing the new one?

Newegg has Crucial MX300 2.5" 525GB on sale for $134.99
or the
Intel DC S3500 Series SSDSC2BB480G4 480GB for $109.99 how reliable are these and are they worth it for the price?

Yes I did

For what its worth you might as well get an M.2 SSD

BC vf n snttbg

What brand? Also I think that the m.2 slot on my motherboard shares bandwidth with one of my sata ports I was looking to upgrade from my Sandisk 120gb.

try this: windows7themes.net/en-us/fix-atikmpag-sys-atikmdag-sys-blue-screen-errors-bsod/

I heard the new Intel SSDs arent as reliable as the old ones but don't quote me on that.

>twice the cost per GB
nah

m.2 is not worth it unless it's NVMe

Anyone else buy parts off of Craig's List for mad cheap and puts them together to sell for profit?

It's pretty fun and the profits are usually good if you find good deals.

>NVMe
Those are expensive.

>try this: windows7themes.net/en-us/fix-atikmpag-sys-atikmdag-sys-blue-screen-errors-bsod/

Already tried that, still get the same error sadly.

I would but the used market isnt as good here (Swedistan) and I don't really have any spare income.

it's the new standard for m.2 SSD if you want to have fast bootable drive.
just get two regular SATA SSD in ROID0 and you have similar performance as the shitty m.2 but with twice the storage space.

So I have this on the way.

The last time I built/worked on or had a new PC was 2011ish, all my parts and tech is from about 2011.

All that is left is a GPU.

So I'm issuing a challenge to the pajeets in this thread worth the value of your card and I will even confirm your post caused me to buy it if you can convince me to buy.

Nvidia has poor business practices and Gsync costs a fortune or do I go with the supposedly more reliable and kinder AMD but at weaker hardware?

for real though this is my first build in a long time and I'm pooping myself

willing to pay up to 600 for a graphics card.

>similar performance
>sata
Lol

How is the 1050?
My GPU died and i need a new one, but most of the newer more graphic heavy games just don't interest me and i don't want to invest too much for a new video card that i don't use that much.

>Consider a G4560 instead of i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.

Is the G4560 still worth getting over the i3 if I'm going to do some hobbyist work in Lightroom/Photoshop/Premiere? And yes, I know that I should get at least a quad core for content creation but I'm piss poor at the moment and I'm only going to be using it as a secondary PC

>middle mouse click starts fucking up out of nowhere
>finally get sick of it and find out how to open the fucker up
>screws are under the pads on the bottom
>fuck up putting them back on when i'm done cleaning it out
>now it grabs a small bit whenever i slide the mouse around

if you also tried the other top 5 guides listed when you google atikmdag.sys try upating your mobo drivers, if that doesnt work maybe format?

Should've doubled SSD storage instead of getting a 1TB drive.

Anyway, i share your dislike for Nvidia business practices and I would get a RX 480 8GB and wait for their Vega cards.

>dont know how to read
>doesnt know what RAID0 is
Lol

It's good if you need a GPU without external PSU power, but depending on your country a rx 470 is not much more expensive but much better performance.

compare benchmarks

Don't get the 1050, get either the 1050Ti or the RX470, both are good cards.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125880&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
One of the best graphics cards while remaining 1 cent under your budget (at Jet.com)

Sup Forumsuys,
I am running a dualboot win10/unix system on my gayming laptop,
can you suggest me any good (min. 2x video out) 3.0-USB-dockingstation?

thanks but the rx 470 is almost as exppensive as the 1060 (with not enough vram)

>So I'm issuing a challenge to the pajeets in this thread worth the value of your card and I will even confirm your post caused me to buy it if you can convince me to buy.

honestly I'm having a tough time understanding what the fuck you're trying to say but go with a 1080. there are some offers at or under $600, or if you want, wait for vega.

Get 1050 Ti or 1060 (3gb or 6gb)

>i share your dislike for Nvidia business practices
It rattles me. I know that shit's just like pissing in the ocean but I like to keep my system light and controlled and seeing the direction of the geforce experience and gsync is really throwing me off. I was interested in the 1080 before that, because whatever card I buy will be my card until it's completely, utterly obsolete in 5+ years.

I keep reading that SSDs are prone to failure after a year or two if you use it for the OS so I got a cheap 1TB traditional as backup. Not sure what I'm doing though desu

what about the 1050ti like suggested? it's similar to the 470 performance

Oh thanks. When i wrote 1050 i meant all 1050 cards. So the 1050 ti is an okayish video card?

New build problem:

New gtx 1080 is not being recognized in the device manager, nor is is being recognized in BIOS for my MSI Z270 SLI.

I was talking about it in the previous thread, and anons suggested my iGPU was just picking up first. This however is not the case I've found after doing some digging after setting my OS up.

The card is receiving power.

What the hell could it be?

The only thing I can think of is that it's not seated properly, but I don't see how it can be pushed in anymore. It looks seated.

>I keep reading that SSDs are prone to failure after a year or two if you use it for the OS
Only if you dont move your page,swap and download folders onto a different drive, but even without a second drive for that it will take much longer than 1-2 years of use. If you have a big SSD you can even change some settings and make the reserved bits count higher and it will last even longer.

it's quite a bit better than regular 1050, similar performance to the RX470, and depending on your country's what is cheaper (470 or 1050ti)

What's a good mini itx case still big enough to feature a strong gpu?

>Only if you dont move your page,swap and download folders onto a different drive, but even without a second drive for that it will take much longer than 1-2 years of use. If you have a big SSD you can even change some settings and make the reserved bits count higher and it will last even longer.
What do I google to learn how to do this? ty for the detailed reply btw.

REseat it, take it out and put it back in a couple times in case it's some dust in the slot you can also try blowing on the slot.

Try the other PCI-E slot aswell.

Define Nano C

the 1050ti is 150€ upwards the Amd 170€ upwards.
Thank you very much. i think i buy the 1050ti it should be sufficient until i get a new board/cpu.
My old was a 570 gtx i assume the 1050ti is noticable faster?

First part just "change windows page/swap/download location"
Second part is called 'Over-Provisioning'.

>Every single benchmark is for gaming where CPU performance barely mean fuck all

Don't really think it matters if the G4560 is slightly worse than the i3 7100 since I'm using a Thinkpad X230 docked to my monitor right now so anything would be better than that

>tfw people make fun of you for your processor choice but the only reason you have it is because your favorite game is cancerously cpu heavy.

>My old was a 570 gtx i assume the 1050ti is noticable faster?
Google the benchmarks yourself, but should be.

What did they mean by this?

>4c4t
$126

>4c8t
$176

>6c12t
$227

>8c16t
$328

that's not a lot more expensive, get the RX470 it's actually quite a bit faster than the 1050ti and totally worth €20 more

>Every single benchmark is for gaming where CPU performance barely mean fuck all
your google-fu is weak

>Don't really think it matters if the G4560 is slightly worse than the i3 7100 since I'm using a Thinkpad X230 docked to my monitor right now so anything would be better than that
probably true.

>those model names

Is a server CPU better for livestreaming than a normal one?

~40% faster

Only 13% more expensive.

You're a retard for not getting that.

mmh ok that is really faster thanks.

why did you only reply to my post? im not the one considering buying anything

No. Core count + thread count + clock speed + architecture + RAM is better than the other one.

C is core
t is for threads

IPC.

am i better off buying one 1200 computer now or or one $600 pc now and another in a few years. main use is running development tools like android studio, visual studio and ableton live.

also regarding live whats the best cpu for it within reason? even my fx8350 nearly dies when running some of my stuff (especially uhe diva, jesus)

better from the start lasts longer and saves you money in the long run (up to a certain cost point).

but it also depends on the software you use if it's optimized to use more cores or if it likes better IPC+higher clock.

I'd go all in, 1200 now and push it for as long as you can, maybe spend all your money on a good foundation of parts.

>re-seated in the other slot
>now there is no display from GPU or MoBo

PANIC

reseat it back in the first slot???

did you turn off the PSU while doing shit?

did you ground yourself before doing shit?

can you try the GPU in a different PC?

borrow a GPU from a friend and try that.

Thinking about getting an i5 6500. Should I?

(No, I don't want to wait for Ryzen, it's not compatible with my mobo. I don't have high hopes for it either)

Are you sure it's not DOA? You might wanna send it back, boyo.

You were the unlucky 1.6%.

What's your motherboard?

also what cable are you using? try a different one.

maybe?

would help if you posted speccy screeny.

Old guy here self studying technology to make a career out of it.

Im self studying for the comptia and i want to build a computer just to practice with stuff. Not a gaming one literally just a desktop generic one.

Can i do this? How expensive? I can spend up to 1k but since its just for info and generic stuff i want it to be cheap.

by the way, i think im the guy you referred to earlier as the "user suggested the onboard picked it up first" which is not what i said or meant.

take out the GPU and make sure your onboard video works along with your monitor.

if that works your 1080 is probably dead

I have one last question to the rx470 or radeon cards in general. Radeon cards supposed to make problems with some games where nvidia cards did not.
I am stupid and only inform myself when i need new hardware. So is that still so that there are more problems with radeon cards?

sounds like a comfy project and absolutely possible for your budget, pretty sure the website in the op is perfect for it/logical increments low spec

MSI Z170 SLI Plus

Any recommendations for an ATX-sized case? (will be holding a MSI B250 pc mate and a gtx 1060)

Look for an AM1 motherboard and an Athlon 5350 APU. It's the cheapest computer you can buy and still have some fun with.

Yes. Something like this: pcpartpicker.com/list/L8WxtJ
You can even buy used parts online from something like Craigslist and put together for even cheaper.

Also if you want to learn properly about compatability and stuff check out the OP and the sticky thread (linked in the OP).

Without optical drive: Define C.
With optical drive: Fractal R5
There's also cheaper alternatives like Corsair R100/R200 and Fractal Core.

i5-6400

Then overclock it.

Yes you heard it right here on Sup Forums. Exclusively. Locked skylake can overclock on Z170 motherboards.

Exclusive and live news. Roughly a year or two old though.

I love you guise.

I'd be so lost without you.

no homo

What's a good (cheap) i3 mini PC that has a Toslink/SPDIF connector?

I've looked at NUCs and Gigabyte Brix and its a crapshoot about which models actually have it and which ones actually work.

Only the cheap SSD's that don't have onboard DRAM. Good SSD's use this RAM to store the cache map, the cheap cards without load it into NVRAM (storage) and it leads to a consistent trickle of writes. As for the OS and page file eating it up, not really. The decent solid state drives should last for a decade as a simple OS drive, which is why Samsung warranties the pros for 10 years.

just build your own ITX computer

With that Evo just download the Samsung magician software. It has presets you can choose (high perf or long life) and it will make proper adjustments.

>which is why Samsung warranties the pros for 10 years.
makes a lot of sense actually

>tfw I've been messing with driver issues for the last 3 days and I'm getting tona point where I am consiring upgrading to Windows 10 to see if that fixes it somehow

Am I currently part of some sick microsoft experement or am I losing my mind

would help us help you if you actually answered to our suggestions instead of just greentexting random shit

just fucking format and reinstall

Just use 10, you nigger.

If you do anything you want to hide then you should be using seperate hardware for it anyway, you'd be a dumb nigger to do your dodgy shit on your main or gaming/every day hardware.

Get 10 on your desktop, store your questionable anime collection on your laptop and run a neckbeard os.

I was guilty of the same memes though. I broke my W10 trying to debotnet it even though I have no personal files on there and do my email on my laptop.

Yes

However I'd suggest a good GNU+Linux. WINE for games/programs. VM for other essentials.

>ITX computer
Too big, too loud

The suggestions were to follow the top links on google and format

I've done everything suggested on the first few pages of google for that error and file and none of it worked.

I'm not going to format until it is the very last possible option, I'd lose too much shit to make it worth trying it now.

I guess I'll tey find my Windows disk to repair with it but I don't think that will help since the issue is exclusively with a rx460 driver installed.

>too big
you're looking at the wrong case
>too loud
you're looking at the wrong coolers/fans

>I've done everything suggested on the first few pages of google for that error and file and none of it worked.

>thinks he's not at the last option - formatting

lad...

Is it worth it to wait for Vega?

>is it worth waiting 5 months for something we dont know the performance of
maybe

all the people asking for help online red that and it didn't work, so I really dont want to since it wont do any good

Can you repair windows without the install disk?

no.

and i dont think that file is even part of windows itself.

´like i said, go the fuck back and answer all the fucking replies you got so we know exactly that the fuck you've done so far.

if you dont wanna do that, fuck off and format cus im not gonna try help you if you dont want to answer so we can help you troubleshoot

Just give up on your install.

autism baka

Also if you were that concerned about protecting your data you would have external, offline backups to consult and not keep all your shit on your PC where it can be lost like this.

I FUCKING DID IT
I FUCKING DID IT
I FUCKING DID IT I FUCKING FIGURED IT OUT

HOLY FUCK

Okay, okay, so here is fucking goes:
>Had to set up OS using iGPU. Figured that it was overriding my GPU and that I'd have to change it in settings
>Welp, that's not fucking it

After hours of fumbling around I found:
>PCI-E slot I'm using doesn't work
>Switch to other PCI-E, can't use GPU or iGPU
>This is because I don't have current Nvidia drivers
>Which I couldn't install, because they couldn't recognize the hardware existed
>Had to restart, go into BIOS, force the setting to only choose integrated graphics to block my machine from trying to use GPU without drivers
>Install drivers while using iGPU
>Back to BIOS, turn off integrated force
>GPU now works

God DAMN that was frustrating.

pcpartpicker.com/list/pjqcm8
For gaymen, maybe video rendering, maybe play with unity or some shit. Plan on upgrading gpu later but low on mone.

You did it lad, well done. Saving your post incase I ever have the same problem.

>didn't remember the Golden Rule of installing new hardware
>had problems for hours
Typical Sup Forumstards

You can get a gold rated semi-modular PSU for $20 more (highly recommended).
Replace HDD with a 240GB+ SSD. You can add a HDD later if you need more storage (much easier than adding a SSD and moving over your OS install).

Kool thanks. I actually might be getting an ssd from someone but I'm not sure so I didn't put it on there. I don't know much about psus. Is the gold just more power efficient? Or just generally better at supplying power throughout the system?

PSU is rash, get a SSD, your (((gaming))) stuff is a shit meme.

yes, the bronze/gold/silver/whatveer (80+ rating) determines the efficiency. but a gold rated one also comes with the added bonus of higher quality parts which makes it more reliable and less likely to fry your other hardware if something goes wrong.

here's the changes i would recommend:
pcpartpicker.com/list/Qfvgpb

CX is not "trash" but it is certainly lower quality than other models.

>´like i said, go the fuck back and answer all the fucking replies you got so we know exactly that the fuck you've done so far.

Already done that pretty much but ok:

Yes, I used DDU rebooted, installed the driver then rebooted again. Same problem. With both the latest driver online and the driver from the boxed disk. Not able to get any drivers inbetween from what I can tell since it just grabs the latest.

Done that for both atikmdag and atikmpag. No change at all.

Been following guides online for 3 days now, that incudes;
>Update graphics card drivers
>Use old graphics card drivers
>Update Windows
>Check disk for errors
>Reseat graphics card
>Expand atikmdag/atikmpag sys files manually

Thats all the replies. I'm currently restoring to just after the Windows Updates but I doubt that will help since the problem was the same back then.

youtube.com/watch?v=dYHVUrXOwbI

you havent updated motherboard drivers like i told you

Anyone got experience with Samsungs V-NAND SSDs?
Are they really worth the extra price for reliability?
Or should I go for meme NVME drive for the same price

>video games

yes, and? did i say "use a CX for high-end rig" ? No? Ok good now you can fuck off.

Sorry forgot that. Updated BIOS and all drivers via Live Update 6 or whatever MSI's thing is. Only thing out of date was the audio driver and something else unrelated. That didnt fix it either.