What is the fastest way to become a "contributor" to the Linux kernel?

What is the fastest way to become a "contributor" to the Linux kernel?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/torvalds/linux
lkml.org/
eudyptula-challenge.org/
edx.org/course/apr-computer-science-principles-harvardx-cs50-ap
cs.cmu.edu/~213/schedule.html
abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=14068459006
kernel.org/doc/Documentation/process/coding-style.rst
matt.sh/howto-c
securecoding.cert.org/confluence/display/c/SEI CERT C Coding Standard
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Submit a pull request to the Linux kernel repository :^)

an hero

-Donate your life savings
-Buy Linus Torvalds lunch
-Give away your code for free

Send a patch to the mailing list fixing some typos, probably documentation typos. Wow, you're a kernel dev now!

This. Submit a pull request on GitHub. :^)
github.com/torvalds/linux

Write and submit drivers.

Where we are going we don't need drivers kid.

>linux is communism meme
You're a cuck. Keep using your malware.

>I don't what a driver is

t. linux developer

-Join the LKML: lkml.org/
-Perform the Eudyptula Challenge: eudyptula-challenge.org/
-Have a computer science degree (optional)
-Start looking for portions of the kernel that are in need of maintaining, perhaps new devices that you'd like you use but have no drivers yet, or subsystems that are passing off ownership
-Consider applying for a job that does a lot of open source development for the kernel, such as Intel or Red Hat

Fixing typos in the documentation

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, the Linux kernel. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>2,236 contributions in the last year

If you mean meaningful contribution written in C then:

Take this intro to CompSci course by Harvard, it's all in C edx.org/course/apr-computer-science-principles-harvardx-cs50-ap plus read the book they use/recommend.

Then take this CMU course (all in C/assembly) to learn x86-64 linux, compilers, virtual memory, ect
cs.cmu.edu/~213/schedule.html (includes lectures) and make sure to get the book that comes with it, CS:APP which you can buy on Abe Books for $20 'global version' abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=14068459006

Now you are ready to take an Operating Systems course. Read Modern Operating Systems (4th Edition) and find a udacity/edx course on OS.

Now read the Linux kernel style guide
kernel.org/doc/Documentation/process/coding-style.rst

Now read 'How to safely C' guides for 2017
matt.sh/howto-c
securecoding.cert.org/confluence/display/c/SEI CERT C Coding Standard

Congrats you can write kernel features now so write a feature or driver, ask for it to be included, and maintain it ironing out the bugs. Repeat. Eventually they will assign you tasks if you continually provide quality work just make sure to listen to all criticism and not fucking cry like a queer when Linus calls your code a pile of garbage.

Kill yourself pajeet, you shilling shitskin nigger with autism AIDS

Submit a pull request that adds you to the contributors list.

gets me every fucking time

btw if you do this enough (write features, submit, debug, repeat) and are helpful on the mailing list you will get a shitload of job offers to work F/T on the kernel cramming in some bullshit for Samsung or other corp.

it's how I got my first job, just being helpful on the Debian mailing list and somebody asked me to write a custom kernel mod for Debian.

Check kernel newbies. There is a script that checks code style for flaws.

Can this birb survive -8C? I know an idiot who keep this kind of breed and budgie outside.

Are you fucking retarded that's a fucking mirror no one actually checks the github page for pull requests.

Post your patch on the appropriate subsystem mailing list.

Contrary to popular expectations, Linux kernel development is actually a friendly place, as long as you don't write shit code.

GTK for instance is much more hostile to newcomers. Never try to contribute to GTK.

>Can this birb survive -8C?
I'm going to say almost definitely not. This species originates from a tropical climate. That has to be really bad for them. Not ever going to take her outside if it's I know an idiot who keep this kind of breed and budgie outside.
It's time to give them a lecture and to call bird protection services. Just because the birb isn't dead, that doesn't mean it wants to be alive in that temperature.

this post is very helpful thank you

>CS:APP
It's a shit book with a lot of mistakes. The fact it comes from CMU is really shameful.
I'm not even sure the author passed his architecture class.

>What is the fastest way to become a "contributor" to the Linux kernel?
Implement a feature and submit a patch. Make sure you read all the howtos and documentation first, otherwise the maintainers are going to rip you a new one for messing up their email lists.

They never accept fixes that merely correct typos.

How many lines of code do I have to write to become as sexy as Torvalds?

>all of them are pull merges

It's amazing how there are over 100 pull requests.

>make sure to listen to all criticism and not fucking cry like a queer when Linus calls your code a pile of garbage

troll on the mailinglists

>-Perform the Eudyptula Challenge: eudyptula-challenge.org/
You really have no business with contributing to the kernel until you completed this challenge.

// Add comments about how sexist the code terminology is.

>How do I do it?
>Email little at eudyptula-challenge.org and say that you want to join in. You will receive an email with your first exercise and details on how the challenge is run. All communication goes through email, just like the Linux kernel is developed

Is this 1993 again?

im 99.9% sure it's automated, but still. It's a neat introduction mechanism

kek

Linux development should switch to Discord, right?
Maybe add TeamSpeak to the mix.

>autism

Just fling shit fixing on the staging-next tree to Greg K-H

Congrats, you're a kernel developer nigger

Most of them seem to grammar fixes.

One pull request just add a space character

Are you sure you know better than veteran programmers of THE most important software on the planet?

It reminds about Linus' comment about people asking him why git wasn't written with C++, OOP, etc. Second-rate programmers should just shut up.

wild guess:
- find bug
- fix bug
- diff -u ./path-to-original-code ./path-to-code-with-my-fixes > my.patch
- send my.patch to kernel devs mailing list, hope linus doesn't insult you to death

This ain't no laughing matter kiddo. Do you know that 9 / 10 of every girl is discriminated against in the tech world. Technology itself is designed by males and is therefore unconsciously descriminates against me ladies. Imagine if you woke up one day and you had no willy. How would you feel? I for one would be very upset that my willy was now a hole, and slowly it would dawn on me that for the rest of my life I would be the one getting fucked. And not just that, but I'd probably bleed from between my legs once a month for the rest of my life. And my fucking hormones would make me some kind of batshit horror show. And that if I got pregnant I'd get baby brain and become totally inept at everything I was not that good at anyway. And that because of these things my only value in life can be derived from my ability to manipulate nerds into doing my bidding. And you know the easiest nerds to manipulate? Computer nerds. And for some reason they won't hire me into this area where I could surely rise to the top without having any ability whatsoever. BUT I CAN'T. You know why? because learning to write a program on a computational machine is sexist against women, because I have to learn how to do it and it's not just given to me like everything else in my life. I can't just spread my legs or flutter my eye lashes and the program writes itself. Not least until I get into the computer job and can make the sexist pigs do all the work. So you know when you laugh at a statement about sexism in koding, it makes me sick to my stomach! how dare you! you don't know anything about the struggle of life. Only women know how hard life is because we are the only ones that are expected to be able to do the jobs we're employed to do! stupid males with their penis's are just given jobs because of the patriarchy! So next time a girl interviews at your company, you better hire them or else!