Rectifying common mistakes in computing:

Rectifying common mistakes in computing:

* GIF is pronounced "jiff"

* 1 KiB = 1024 Byte
1 kB = 1000 Byte
1 KB = 1 Kelvin Byte

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:List_of_English_words_where_G_is_pronounced_exceptionally
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Kelvin Byte

That sounds good, I'll have that.

I will keep pronouncing gif as gif in gift.

I will keep using kB and KB to refer to 1024 bytes. k and K prefixes are not exclusive to Si.

блaгoдapят кoт

gif sounds like gift without the t. fuck you. with a big rusty pole or a splintery post. fuck you the most fuck you.

The biggest argument in favor of jiff is that original author wants it to be pronounced as jiff. But this is not an argument good enough. I have no respect for original author. I use the gif image format not because it's good but because of third party application support.

"Flash drive" is actually Zip Disquette.

*OP is pronounced "faggit"

> (they) thank a cat

1 byte = memory cell size
1 octet = 8 bits

if you are not using ternary logic or your words aren't 36 bit long, you are basically not computing

>memory cell size
What memory.

That keyboard is missing space and an apostrophe.

The biggest argument in favor of hard G is the fact that there exists an extension called .jif

Eh. I use hard G and I wouldn't even use this argument to defend my choice. so what if it exists? It's not used. My personal preferences is to use hard G, no authoritative source exists me to tell otherwise, and that's how I justify using hard G.

>The biggest argument in favor of jiff is that original author wants it to be pronounced as jiff.
That's why english grammar should go out of the window?

You're actually a fucking idiot.

I really hope this is bait.

You're talking gibberish.

Please elaborate. How is grammar related to this?

What do you think of that, Mr. gibbous, gift-refusing, gibberish-talking, giddy, giggling, gilt-edged minded(not), gimmick-pulling, gibbonous, give-nothing gimp?

someone has thesaurus.com on their speed dial

Is it wrong to use words to defend commonly used english pronunciation of another word?

Could you please elaborate how grammar is related to pronunciation of gif?

Same as gift?

Is this a misquote?

It's not. I hope there exist a gizmo to help you find the right answer because this conversation is stuck in my gizzard.

>being this mad
btw "gibberish" is pronounced with a soft g

Daily reminder that hard G fags pronounce jpeg as jay-fag.

>nobody looked up in a book
While it is a general rule that you use soft g if it's followed by i, e, y, english languange by virtue of being english language got exceptions. Besides can you think of any legible word that starts with "gif" that is not "gift"?

Well, yeah, I mean, you got all those "muh rules, follow 'em" but then there is a bunch of quite common words that don't fit and for a man(i.e. normie) with an ordinary volume vocab there is no rules to remember because he words he frequently uses follow it only half of the time.
And both cases of gibberish are acceptable.

it's almost like english is inconsistent enough that you can't just point to a similar word as evidence for how a word "should" be pronounced

oh, especially when it's not even a word per se it's an acronym

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:List_of_English_words_where_G_is_pronounced_exceptionally

1 kb = 1000 bit