What's the difference between an app and a program

What's the difference between an app and a program

Apps is for the glorious OSX/iOS kingdom. Programs are what office drones use.

Warezfags called them apps long before disgusting normies used the term.

/thread

A program is a bunch of code to be executed on a processor or interpreter. A program with a visual user interface is an application, or an app. The distinction was introduced in early Windows versions.

True /thread

Under MacOS X, every program/application had an .app extension. It was basically a folder with all the files required for that application to function inside of that folder. You could then copy/move the application around without needing to install anything. Double-clicking on a that special folder would start the application (you could also right click and expose everything inside of the folder).

Windows had EXE files (actual executable files) and it littered dll files into a bunch of places (and that infamous registry). You usually couldn't just copy an EXE or Folder around to make shit work.

Then iOS came and Apple called applications for iOS as "apps". They even created an App Store where you could buy them.

Now everything's an app.

Except both on OSX and on iOS, their applications still link to system-provided shared libraries, and there still are services running which are programs but not applications.

That special folder on OSX still has an executable file in it that only has cosmetical differences from windows .EXEs

99% will work if you just copy a folder. Ppl used to copy MS Office from Apple Stores by just dragging the folder to a USB drive.

Did I say otherwise?

did I say they didn't contain an executable?

Indirectly, yes, or at least if you didn't mean it this way, someone not familiar with how operating systems work could interpret it this way:

>Windows had EXE files (actual executable files)

>copy MS Office from Apple Stores
I googled this and couldn't find any proof. Is this true? I'm always interested in things like this. What are some similar examples?

indirectly, you were wrong.

>someone not familiar with how operating systems work could interpret it this way

>backpedaling
the post

I literally wrote that in my previous post.

nothing

Programs are for computers, apps are for phones.

I use them interchangeably. Literally no difference.

Nothing. App is just the new cooler, trendy word.

A program is a bunch of code to be executed on a processor or interpreter. A program with a visual user interface is an application, or an app. The distinction was introduced in early Windows versions, almost 20 years ago.

Nothing. You should call all programs apps specifically to ruse stupid nerds.

So basically Apple's solution to package management and dependency hell is to shove redundant dependencies in every "app"?

No, Apple still has applications, programs, operating systems, scripts, shells, batch files, compilers, daemons, services, games. Whoever made this picture is simply retarded.

that pic is called trolling. and you seem to be the type that doesn't know much about anything and easily falls for things.

My post wasn't even about the picture.
Nice reading comprehension.

This is the right answer and everyone else is actually completely wrong. An app is just short for "application". Apple made app popular by their marketing campaign "there's an app for that" and because of this underage b& have started to think that "apps" only refer to cellphone applications.

Solution to package management and dependency hell *IS* to ship dependencies with your programs. The only solution to that is to have a centralized source of all programs, which is for obvious reasons unacceptable.

do you seriously think anyone here is old enough to remember the warez/fxp/race/... scene ?

>The only alternative to that is***

fixed

A package manager doesn't need to have a central source of programs. You could even maintain your own repo if you wanted to.
Hence, instead of shipping your package with bloat, just have a package manager, like apt, pacman, portage, etc.

And each source would have to ship its programs with all their dependencies. If a program from one source requires a certain library, and a program from another source requires the same library, it's a conflict, and can only be solved by each sources shipping different versions of that library.

all apps are programs but not all programs are apps

truthhhhhhhh

It's tempting to call the apple operating system(s) a bit of an app lol

Only if you really have no idea what any of those terms mean.

When can we download it from the google playstore?

I remember winMX, does that count?

yes, i was online through warez

Tons of people here

No, they are the same:
Every software that run a computer is a program, but programs designed to help people perform a task are also called applications, its not related to a cli or gui

The term was introduced in WinAPI documentation and it had the meaning that I mentioned. Although even by your retarded definition application and a program are not the same thing.

It's psychedelic, isn't it? Just like clips and magazines on /k/.

Only one can be killer.

>trying to summon the feminine, lanklet Ghiblifag/Swiftie namefag
Do it if you're brave, user. We'll wait and see.

Have I been summoned to answer your questions? You lured me here and with that, you have summoned me.

There are literally no differences between apps and programs.
This is literally the only answer.

I used to get wares through the old AOL chat rooms. They'd email things in parts. That's how I first obtained photoshop.

that picture is retarded, no one calls all those things apps

App is an ok term.

You don't want to admit it, it's fine. Some of the applications on iOS/Android have more than enough features to beat some classic applications. What matters is what it does, not its name.

I don't think anyone has anything against the word app, since it's just a shorthand version of the word application.

Nonsense. It's like you've never used Gentoo or Arch.
You install that one library once and your done.