/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Consider a G4560 instead of i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 6500/7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build.
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any locked CPU build without a Z mobo.
>Consider a H110/B150 (UEFI needs update before installing a Kaby Lake CPU) or B250 mobo for any Pentium or i3 build.
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build or even budget builds instead of a HDD.
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050Ti, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117643&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-LogicalIncrements.com Inc-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=5961731&SID=0
newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500414
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009O7YUF6/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B009O7YUF6&linkCode=as2&tag=thedaionl-21
newegg.com/global/nl/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438016
pcpartpicker.com/list/DTFQBP
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PBwM6X
pcpartpicker.com/list/7TXXFd
steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/312265526374588171/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>pic
Fuck Taiwan.

GTA V cant even run maxed out and on high its still at 40-60

is it the cpu?

>Building

yes

>autism

just curious, as i have a similar setup.
what can you run gta 5 on? how well?

it runs ok on high, i can see the fps dip during cinematics.

the fucked up thing is when i overclock the card the frames go to shit

sounds like throttling.

newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117643&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-LogicalIncrements.com Inc-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=5961731&SID=0

just bought this. dwarf fortress here i come

Yes, it's definitely the CPU that's holding the GPU back.

it's definitely the CPU

>tfw it's the video game console assembly general thread

is 8 jigglybites of rams enough for general vidya or should i fall for the 16 jiggles meme?

thanks for the info guys. will be looking for a new cpu

i would say go 32 but 16 is nice

how would you rate this card?

newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500414

Does anyone know how the 15% promo code for jet.com works fully? Can I place three individual orders, each maxing the 30$ cap and potentially saving me 90$?

Can anyone give me any good reason why I shouldn't buy this processor? I checked and it's compatible with my mobo etc. Am I missing some known defect I haven't heard about?
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009O7YUF6/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B009O7YUF6&linkCode=as2&tag=thedaionl-21

>newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500414
>794 australian fun bucks. What the fuck is your currency?

>amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009O7YUF6/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B009O7YUF6&linkCode=as2&tag=thedaionl-21

Amd meme. Just wait for ryzen.

>Amd meme. Just wait for ryzen.
I need a working desktop now, not when some vapourware comes out.

In that case, I haven't heard anything extensively bad about it. As long as its compatible you should be fine.

Sweet, cheers.

Planning a gaming build cause my laptop died. Figure it makes sense to plan around most intensive game I play; Skyrim with ENB mods (2560x1080 & 75Hz). 1070 and 7600K an appropriate choice?

Don't know tooo much about enb mods but I haven't run into anything non 4K that I can't handle with my 1070 and a weaker processor than yours.

What is the best motherboard for a core i5 6600 both in terms of pricing and compatibility/features

Also, is it true that skylake are the last intel CPU's that run with windows 7 until 2020 or so?

Should i get/wait for a newer generation AMD FX instead for roughly the same money so that i have a newer CPU and can still use windows 7 ur is the i5 6600 pretty much the way to go?

Building a small / lite PC, need your recs
>needs 2 ram slots
>needs a pci slot for GTX 560 SE
>needs to be powerful enough to play some minor games and streaming movies
>want to keep it as cheap as I can get away with

That said, mini itx or micro atx? Intel pentium/i3 or some AMD? Any cases good for light portability? I'm thinking about those Silverstone HTPC cases.

Is bq Pure Rock any good?
I'm looking for decent cpu cooler under 40 usd (cpu is i5 6600k).
Also, 212 evo is not an option (simply not available).

Pentium G4560 + B250 board

mATX should be significantly cheaper than mITX

Pure Rock is pretty good.
Should be able to cool a 6600k at up to 4.2 GHz just fine.

test

Is there a way to disable the leds on MSI Gaming X RX 480 without using the cancerous MSI Gaming App ?

So what purpose does the i3 7100 fill when the G4560 is so much better value? Talking strictly about non-gaming applications, I know that there's pretty much identical performance in games between the two.

sucking out the money of the less informed goys

More shekels for Intel

Are there any custom braided cables out there for the EVGA Supernova G3 yet? Pretty sure G2's are compatible but I don't want to fuck around and guess when it comes to power supply related anything.

Anyone here that has had a good experience with this PSU? newegg.com/global/nl/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438016

>retards always posting links to the product
>not the fucking name of the product
everytime

Upgrade to 10 already you fucking Cluck. You have to at some point soon.

Your skylake is fine. Wait a year and see what intell does in panic mode so you don't have to buy a new mobo.

>another year
make that a two for the 10nm

What's the difference between the different mobos like H110, B150, B250, Z270 and shit? I know that one thing is overclocking potential but how much does it matter what mobo you get as long as it has the features you need?

Number of ram slots and speed of ram, sata slots and raid capability are the main differences besides the obvious overclocking.

i run gta 5 with an rx 480 with a 4690k@ 4.5 ghz and it hovers around 60-85 fps on very high without msaa or advanced settings, i think you're doing something wrong.

If you have to ask, just buy an H110 or B150/250 motherboard.

>Retards always critisizing the post instead of answering the question
everytime

Corsair cx750m PSU, how is it?

Not good m8. You probably don't need 750W either.
Post specs and what features you want from it.

>Not good m8. You probably don't need 750W either.
390 nitro, yes I do.
I have it right now, just thinking if I should replace it for ryzen or if it doesnt't pan out for i7 cofee, I got it very cheap couple years back. Seems to work fine for sandy, but no idea how it will handle more sensitive modern CPUs.

What's the smallest case you can put a 1080 in? Can you build a mATX rig with a 1080 in it?

I am looking to buy a small business server to host a bunch of Docker containers. Will older gen dual Xeon's with 64GB RAM and 4 256gb SSD's be a solid start? If so, blade server or buy a full size tower for it?

is there a video of that?

Just go to Pcpartpicker.com, pick a 1080, and then try to pick a case. It shouldn't give you ones that don't fit, and I'm pretty sure you can order by size.

Any advice you could give me as you rate this build?

pcpartpicker.com/list/DTFQBP

Get better HSF, GPU and PSU. What about storage?

Go for the cryorig h7 over the evo. And a better video card would be nice, but I know nobody picks the 1050ti because they want to. Also having just built my pc in that case, it looks a bit odd if you can't fill the drive cages.

Is the corsair cx or corsair in general not being good a meme ? I've read that the first version was shitty, but they released newer version - instead of 400 500 and such, they are 450 550 650W and the reviews say they're a lot better than the old ones, so are you just spouting old memes or are the only single digits of PSUs actually good like Seasonics ?

GTX 650, x4 965, 8 gig ram, laughable 250 hard drive but it works for me. Problem is streaming. Audio has construction noises going on if the conference level is increased. Honestly time to get a bit of an upgrade anyways. Any recommendations? Goal is to stream various pc, PS, and Xbone games (Overwatch, RE, FF 6-12) with relatively decent sound. Want my shiny pixels. Poor man's budget of 650 or so.

Is there any good alternative to Corsair Air 540 when it comes to cube builds for ATX sized mainboards? any recommendations very welcome

Don't listen to these retards. It's clearly the gfx card because you're running at high resolution. Turn off super sampling

They are passable for non-gaming rigs without any overclocking. They just don't hold up under any sort of strain and are only rated at 30c.

budget is around 550-600 for the PC itself

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PBwM6X

basically trying to build my first gaming PC

No you don't. This is fullsystem usage with an overclocked i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz.

pcpartpicker.com/list/7TXXFd

This is what I currently have assembled, but I need a few suggestions. (don't mind the RAM, it will be changed with time)

What CPU should I go with?
What cooler should I go with? Heatsink preferred, no Noctua...sorry enthusiasts
M.2 or SSD for a boot drive?

Holeee fug

Definitely 16GB minimum now. If your motherboard has 4 slots get 8GBx2 and upgrade in the future to 32GB if you need to. If you can spare the cash and only have 2 slots, just go 16GBx2 right off the bat.

>& 75Hz
Doesn't that causes Skyrim to break in all sorts of ways when you start going over 60hz?

Change mobo to Z270 if you plan on overclock, but seeing as you don't even have a CPU chosen, I deduct that you're just stupid
CPU cooler: meme answer is 212 evo or whatever the newest 212 is, but if someone else will take their time to answer you'll have like 5 more choices at similar price point at same/better performance, I just don't remember the coolers, something something scythe etc
>M.2 or SSD for a boot drive
wew lad, go M.2, but don't go SSD, see how that works out
But in seriousness if you have the money get an M.2 PCIe interface SSD, blazing fast and no cables

steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/312265526374588171/

Not that guy, but it can be fixed in the special edition.

Doing some SLI? If no, 600w is more than enough

I already have the mobo, but I can't decide between an i7 and an i5.

And as far as M.2 but not SSD, I mean M.2 form factor vs 2.5"

>Ryzen will not have ITX support until maybe 2018
>Intel has lowered the price on all of their CPU by $50
Should I just get a Babylake and call it a day instead of hold out hope for a Ryzen ITX?

Look up Skyrim fps 1080p on youtube and see what other people are running. Different games run better with different processors, and mods add in a whole other world because a lot of them aren't optimized.

And I say this not as a cop-out, but because I've been researching CPUs for the same reason. A game like Fallout 4, for example, has an old engine and needs the hyperthreading to max out the graphics. If it only has a few cores to run, it struggles to maintain 40-50 fps in certain areas. Whereas a game like R6:Siege can't use hyperthreading or it crashes.

>>Intel has lowered the price on all of their CPU by $50
proofs?

Just looked, they're all the same price.

It's just for this weekend, I am thinking of just going with Intel now that the price listed for this weekend is actually competitive.

>tfw not american

i get jealous of how much cheaper it is to build a pc there

What does it mean if i can only boot Win10 when i limit the number of enabled cores on my i5-6600 to 2 ?
It seems kind of wierd, that two of the cores are intact, even though in safe mode all four boot up.

>28 % better performance versus a 3-year-old desktop

Damn, forgot
>Up to

So it's nothing.

>Ryzen will not have ITX support until maybe 2018
huh? APUs are coming in the summer, ITX boards will have surely been released by then, probably even earlier than that

I've been literally stuck with the wires for 3 hours and I still can't figure out how to connect them...

Don't laugh at me, it's my first time..

Have you actually tried doing a fresh install?

what wires? Did you try soldering a CPU ?

SATA, 6+2, and other wires of which I don't know names

Btw, can I use 6+2 wire for 6pinned GPU? (ASUS Turbo 1060). I've put the 6pin connector and didn't connect the 2pin one

probably a million times, this was the only way to even boot the installer.

IIRC yes you can, but do you seriously have trouble with PSU cables? There's like 5 connections in total and all differ how they look
mobo power, CPU power, GPU power, HDD and SSD power and that's basically it, god damn 3 hours

There's strangely a lot of SSD/HDD cables, but only 4 mobo cables (1 2x4, 2x6+2, 1 24) and I can't find the rest

who /5ghz 24/7/ here?

Sold my 8350 pc (that was able to get 5ghz but only for benching) early this month and was able to get my hands on a 7600k for like 220 after taxes and whatnot.

Was able to hit [email protected] without delidding, I also tried [email protected] but cores were getting way too hot (it didn't crash/bsod though)

prob should have just gotten a g4560 that I could easily switch to ryzen but shit, no idea if ryzen can hit 5ghz yet, and if it does then i'll regret my decision

Yes you can, and little known fact, you could "technically" pull just as much watts as an 8pin could on 6pin

There's not really any more cables, apart from molex, you don't need to connect all the cables that PSU has, only the ones your build needs, which should be probably 5

Where do I find cables for these?

Here are the ones I managed to install

Top one looks like a USB 2.0 header, but I can't be sure. The one under that is a COM port, which you almost certainly don't have. TPM is another port you're never going to use.
The header that has THB_C is a Thunderbolt header, which you don't need.
The two right under that are USB2.0 headers, which you should have coming out of your case (they're the wires with the block port connectors that look like pic related).
The one that says SYS_FAN2 is just a 4-pin fan connector for a case fan.
The colorful bit is the important one, all of which you should find coming out of the front of the case. Use your mobo's manual to figure out which goes where.

The connectors with an L-shaped center bit are SATA ports. You have more next to the chipset heatsink (the thing that says "G1 GAMING"), but those ports are facing to the side.

>GIS
omg, so many links!

The one that says USB3.0 next to the long 24-pin ATX power connector is obviously a USB3.0 header.

Because you clearly were dropped on your head as a baby and fed on a diet of lead paint chips and hard liquor, the wire coming from your case that needs to go there should look like this

>case with cable management
>literally 0 (zero) effort done to manage cables
Your pic shows only three cables, although the essential ones that would let you turn on the PC, now if you connected your HDDs and SSDs to the PSU and with SATA cables to the motherboard, you're basically set, only the matter of fans

/pcbg/ meetup when?

disregard everything anyone and me said, open the damn motherboard booklet and follow all the steps, that will be easier for you than follow all these posts

I'll fucking rape 90% you if this happens. Fuck off with your meme IRL meetups. This is how Sup Forums because cancer.

user that's illegal, people can't do that