Sup Forums thread circulation algorithm

How does Sup Forums circulate threads? How does a new comment affect a threads position on a board? Does this effect depend on the total num of comments a thread has at the time?

The threading model is called floating.
Threads are arranged in the index pages based on the order in which they have been bumped in, rather than the order being static.
All posts on the board, including new threads, are identified in the same way. In other words, the post hierarchy is flat, though some posts get attributed to threads.
When you make a post in a thread, the thread is moved to the top of the index, and all other threads sage, or move down the index. Entering 'sage' in the options field causes your post to not bump, so the thread will continue it's saging.
Threads have limits on how many images can be in the thread at once (deleting a file frees up a spot) (current limit is 150 images per thread.)
There's a bump limit, currently at 310, meaning that the thread will always sage after 310 bumps. Entering 'sage'in the options field avoids using up a bump, so saging is a viable way to extend a thread's life. This concept is often misunderstood.

I'm kind of on my way to an operation hall on a hospital bed, I'll continue when I get out.

lolwut that's some dedication to shitposting right there

>There's a bump limit, currently at 310, meaning that the thread will always sage after 310 bumps. Entering 'sage'in the options field avoids using up a bump, so saging is a viable way to extend a thread's life.
Nice. Had no idea about it

Sexual response, exactly what i was looking for, you have my thanks smart user nigga

Why is the 'Options' field a blank text field? Wouldn't it be simpler to just have a single-selection option field with "bump," "sage," and a blank one as options?

So, wait, typing the word "bump" into the options doesn't actually do anything? What happens if you leave it empty?

it's not for newfags

>and all other threads sage
WRONG

I always thought Sup Forums was specifically designed to be impossible for normies to use

Historical reason. Options field used to be the email field. And, yes, you would type the word sage instead of your email.

>email field.
why

That's how nips did it with their futaba imageboard software.

Interesting

You can't go more normie-friendly than Sup Forums.

There are obscure imageboards that would go through hell and back to scare off newfags.

Like putting huge "Your IP has been sent to authorities this site is illegal", and forcing you to have a custom .css only to use it, otherwise every object on the website swirls around in a pattern, with a constant screamer in the background.

I seriously hope you guys are just pretending.

If a mod stickies a thread, it stays at the top. This is usually done for a thread that gives board specific rules or guidelines or generally helpful information. /o/ has a 'what car should I get' info graphic stickied to try and alleviate some of the repetitive threads of that nature. Sup Forums has basic board rules and some helpful links.

There are other keywords or functions that you can use when posting. Entering noko keeps that thread active on your screen after posting a reply instead of depositing you back on page 1 when posting from a browser. (It used to, I'm not sure how much it's changed)

Names and tripcodes are also an option, that several attention whores tend to abuse. They were set up to help identify someone giving relevant info, IE if there is an ongoing story or list of instructions so no one can hijack the thread.

Noko is the default now. They added another keyword to return to index instead of staying in the thread. nonoko?

>Like putting huge "Your IP has been sent to authorities this site is illegal", and forcing you to have a custom .css only to use it, otherwise every object on the website swirls around in a pattern, with a constant screamer in the background.
Which imageboards are these?! I must know

actually tho
not even executable for newfags
thus bravo if thou art a troll

what? it's just by last bumped

of course, there is some fuckery like OP can't bump own thread for a certain amount of time or threads can autosage like the desktop threads were (Idk if they still do, someone tell me what's up with them, i haven't seen them in a while)

>Names and tripcodes are also an option, that several attention whores tend to abuse. They were set up to help identify someone giving relevant info, IE if there is an ongoing story or list of instructions so no one can hijack the thread.
Tripfags aren't so bad, you know.

Like? Put some examples nigger

Honestly I wish Sup Forums supported markup :(
italic and bold text would be so useful here

[b]THIS[/b]

And smileys ;-)

Also sexual responses, i thank thee

Are you sure you're using that word correctly?

virginnnnnnnnnnn

I *wish* I could tell you that.

karachan.org

like this

i'll be damned...

speaking of damned,
i͔͎̹͍͕̲s̪͇̭̥̬̟̖͞ ̨͍͖͇̬z̸̗̫͎a̤̲͕̩̖͓͝l̨͕̟̙͕̺g̯̻̫̙̜̫͉o̩̭͍̺͔͎ ̧̲͚̘̤t̸̬̹͉e̥̰̟̩͚x̪̙͓̜̣̱̹̀t͇͎̫̱̥̦ ̩̰̲̺͎̣à̫̤̥̘̮͙̳l̰͕̱̼r̤͟i̛͔̺̲͍g̝̪͍̱h͇͙̯̲̬̥́t͍͇̞?̱͈

...what is that? what does it do? should I be scared?

Click on the "period" underneath the exclamation mark lol

Tripfags are THE cancer.
That's why everyone filters them out.
If you want to use the trip as a username,

That's actually really funny

I went to karachan's Sup Forums and what the fuck?
using this forum is more like trying to solve a series of puzzles more than starting a conversation. I don't understand anything here.

Back, I'll continue.
There are several different quote functions, triggered by adding >s in front of a line.
A single > is used to quote a single line. If you highlight a piece of text and then click a post number to bring up the quick reply dialog, the highlighted text gets placed into a single line quote after the post quotelink.
A quotelink begins with two >s and points to a post number. Originally intended to only link in other threads, since the hierarchy is flat you can quote any post you like. It's a bit of a misuse but it works.
Three >s can be used to link to other boards and threads there or rules, eg >>>/global/rules/3

The options field used to be for email.
The idea for placing sage there was that you'd sage when you knew your post wasn't great, so your identity gets hidden.
It's the same idea of changing the ID on boards that have those enabled to 'Heaven'.
Speaking of IDs, there are per-thread IDs and per-board IDs.

Additionally, there was a historic option of noko, which would return you to the thread you replied in before it was the default behavior.
You can also roll dice, cast fortunes and display your Sup Forums pass age with different options.

That's the native definition, to my knowledge.

It did support Markdown.

The spoiler and code tags are normal bbcode, no?

Which Board has board-ids instead of threat ids?

Oh man, I haven't seen a fortune thread in forever. And I remember using neko on Sup Forums because threads bumped so fast, you might not find your thread by the time the page loaded.

>newfags think even modern day yotsuba4kidz is difficult to use

You can choose to use a name and a tripcode to identify yourself. They both go to the name field, name as you'd write it and tripcode starting with a # symbol.
A secure tripcode starts with two # symbols and the algorithm differs from the normal one in that it uses a salt from the imageboard server. Therefore a normal tripcode stays the same between websites but a secure one is site specific.
As an example, here I'll name myself faggot #fuckmoot.

Note that having an identity is not a crime if the board supports it. Some boards are forced anonymous after all.

Towards the bottom of the page you can see four numbers separated by slashes. These count the number of posts, unique posters, images and the page the thread is on. It'll be useful to determine if there's someone flooding the thread.
You can also spot flood by looking at the post timestamps. The cooldown timers prevent you from posting repeatedly. A consistent delay between posts without the poster counter incrementing is signs of botspam.

Also, if a thread sages off the index it's either deleted or archived.

On boards that support them, flags are derived from your IP address. If you see a thread full of unknown flags, it has been moved from another board that doesn't support flags.

What else is there?

Oh, wordfilters and how to avoid them.
Occasionally the moderation decides that some piece of language is way too overused, so they place a filter to change every instance of the words to something else. You can avoid this by placing invisible characters inside filtered words.
You space your triangles in a triforce in the same way. Note though, Sup Forums cleans up a lot of Unicode symbols.

Polan take many step to remove kebab

Damn son have a safe operation and pls respond so we know you are okay

No default noko would make things so much better.

I'd give you a list of things to block with noscript but I'm in the fucking hospital

Wasn't a huge thing, really.
Just a blood injection to the spinal cord to patch up a hole that didn't heal on its own caused by a spinal cord sample taken last Friday to check for narcolepsy.

It's just that it was done somewhere where phones can interfere with other equipment so I had to turn my phone off.

Was painful though.

Definitely. The entire reason I got 4chanX all those years ago was for autonoko.

That's the entire point.
You're a newfag, they don't want you posting.

As soon as someone "leaks" the workarounds to the public, they change their """""""""""""""'security"""""""""""""" measures.

Ahhh the same nigga providing an answer just as sexual thank you good sir and thank you other user for thy informative contribution

Pft

pftt

whaaaaat sexual nvm thank you legit only user that made meaningful contributions to this dope thread

You're a big guy

In my Sup Forums clone, I implemented thread indexes by updating the timestamp of last_bump.
Then you just sort by last_bump to get the index.

To prune threads, just delete the oldest one and if someone sages, don't update the timestamp, simple.

Fuckin' checked

>doesn't use lynx
>visits karachan

Bro, do you even internet?

checked

thx, now i can improve my shitpost bot

All of this seems correct

>When you make a post in a thread, the thread is moved to the top of the index, and all other threads sage, or move down the index.

Other threads are knocked down one notch and the thread with the most recent non-sage post is moved to the top of the list. Sage posts do not affect the rankings of the threads so it's as if you posted nothing at all.

I don't know if sage posts can indefinitely extend the lifetime of a thread though. That seems kinda fishy.