Spaces vs Tabs

Which is superior and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man9/style.9
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tabs > spaces. Tabs take fewer button presses and can be conifgured to a different size on any machine. That means tabs can be set to the exact length of four spaces.

wrong

wew

Tabs for indentation, spaces for alignment

Anyone who has done any development for Unix knows it's tabs, especially since if you respect the people programming with you, you respect their fundamental right to view tabs at a size of their choice.

Precisely.
man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man9/style.9

Spaces that act like tabs

Spaces because it's just a bit more consistent, triggers neckbeard fags and I edit my structured documents describing computations in tools advanced enough to format the code without effort on my part anyways.

>Spaces vs Tabs
I have a job so I don't care. If the project style guide specifies whether to use spaces or tabs I'll use that, otherwise I don't give a fuck and will just use Emacs default.

Don't you have anything to do more intellectually interesting than arguing about spaces vs tabs?

Chill man I trying to get a sense of what the community prefers. The knowledge of many can be greater than the knowledge of one.

dots

set tabstop=2
set shiftwidth=2
set softtabstop=2
set expandtab

Spaces, as their width is always the same and well-defined for all other editors.
If we are talking about the tab KEY, of course. I'd say using tab to type a fucking ^I is a complete waste of a good key in any editor worth it's salt.
Only exception is consistency, of course.

Tabs that are converted to the standard 4 spaces. best of both worlds

Tabs. If you disagree, then you've never been force to work on an 2 or 8 space project.
Tabs allows everyone to set their own tab size.
In the rare case you want to align code, tab to indent, space to alignment.

1. Use the styling the codebase is using
2. Check the language/organization style guide
3. Use 4 spaces
4. Use whatever your shit taste is

>pike fucked up

I'm sitting here working on an 8-space project and it's killing my soul.

Fucking legacy code is probably busted anyway.

It's baffling to me that people would do anything else. It's also the number one thing I hate about python.

>2
wew