Why are gaming laptops frowned upon?

Why are gaming laptops frowned upon?

because gaming on a laptop is a bad idea, it looks clunky, the marketing is shot, it costs too much and because desktops cost less and do more

price/performance

most people who get gaming laptops are teenagers who just want to look cool, don't know what they really need from a computer.

For people who travel and like vidya, it's a good option tho.

it's a marketing term aimed at extorting teenagers parent's money

Expensive for the performance
Generally un-upgradeable either due to design or lack of parts
Relatively non-mobile due to shit battery life
Envelope design is shitty and makes them look like toys for children
Lose computing power over time because they lack good airflow

I mean, if you need desktop-tier power on the go and you don't need to constantly move your laptop around once you're there, then they're okayish, but you can still get a better deal with ultrabooks.

Who are they useful for?

I have a desktop tier Sager. My reason is when i was stationed on a ship, the only way i was gonna get the gaming i wanted was to use a console (nope), or to have a laptop as setting up and breaking down a desktop constantly was out of the question.

>Why are gaming laptops frowned upon?
The same reason most gaming hardware is frowned upon, typically the marketing is the only good part of it. these anons have it about right.

Almost the same thing here. Army. Always going on mission for weeks at a time. I thought my PS Vita would be enough at first but I would play it for an hour each trip and get bored.

Recently bought a MSI GE62VR and love it. Great laptop and I will definitely get the use out of it as I am also in college and alot of my classes I need to be able to run VMs and code in different languages.

A gaming laptop fit my needs for school and work trips perfectly.

They are falsely so with how they aren't all that bad with Pascal and Skylake in the fray

Also they do look more classy these days, that Alienware in example

Advantage:
1) portability
Drawbacks
1) Easy to overheat without maintenance, and most people don't know how to open up their laptops
2) Harder to replace damaged parts

Admittedly most people lead a rather sedentary lifestyle and are unable to make use of that portability.
The drawbacks however apply to most people who bought it, except those who know how to clean their laptops.
Therefore statistically it's almost always a bad purchase. Of course there are people who can utilize it like and because they are informed, but most people are retarded or uninformed.

Current MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus laptops look decent actually. Most are only around an inch thick and also do not have that thick back lip until you get a gtx 1070 or above. That crap drove me crazy and was part of the reason I went with a gtx 1060 laptop.

because Sup Forums can't afford them

New Dell gaming are good too

Because we all want a debagded black thicc slab that has decent battery life and performance, gaming toasters don't offer this with their edgy geometric shapes and eye-cancer aesthetics. The patrician setup is
>Laptop
cheapest solution, chromebook or stankpad
>Desktop
allocate all your tech budget on this and use it for 5-6 years and retire it as a server later on

>gaming
>laptops
Choose one. It's that simple.

they're poorly built/designed and have disposable tier lifespans if heavily used

it's a crapshoot whether the fan will die first (and good luck finding a replacement that fits all the manufacutrer's $0.01 cost saving design hurdles), or the components the fan was tuned too low to cool (so the fan wouldn't die) will croak first
you as the consumer do not have access to enough knowledge about the manufacturing to make informed decisions on what kind of cooling balance you should go after is one of the major reasons to hate these pieces of shit

laptops are a compact flavor of prebuilts, are you questioning why people here hate gaming prebuilts?

/thread

But not Alienware they have Dell business quality

I travel a lot, can't bring my desktop all around the place

No purpose getting a gaming laptop, just get an ultrabook with a discrete GPU

I dunno man. I have MSI GE60 and it works pretty awesome. screen bezel is kinda shit build and of course it's heavy. but I can play titanfall and fit two HDDs and two mSATAs in it so it's pretty damn rad

I bought my sisters each one of those last Christmas because they do a lot of gaming. They are never doing the latest/most demanding titles out there so I figured they'd love them and they do.

>looks ridiculous
>overpriced
>bulky
>gaymen bullshit instead of actual useful functions
>terrible battery life
>loud cooling system
>still gets so hot that it break after some years

Wageslaves don't have time to play games, and they're jealous
/thread

Wow it's almost as if there is a trade-off for putting a power hungry GPU in such a small package

>what is optimus

the new alienware heatsinks are like fucking tanks and route heat away from components like a boss.

They'll probably last decades longer than Razer Blade Pros.

no upgrade path
expensive
overheats and throttles regularly
short life due to the poor cooling, you're lucky if they last more than 3 years

The aesthetic is gaudy, and the bang for buck is godawful (hint: most people are poorfags).

The price depreciates so fast. If you never move from your desk, it's a bad investment.

>tfw gayman laptop died after about 9 months

I really don't recommend them, Even as someone who travelled fairly frequently just get a desktop and cheaper laptop.

Most modern laptops can play older games if you need your gaming fix while on holiday or whatever while your desktop can play the more demanding games.
My 860m laptop would run to 90 degrees while playing Overwatch mid settings for an hour.

What IS optimus?

They are marketed to teenagers.

Sup Forums hates them because they hate being ridiculed as 'manchildren' and these laptops perpetuate that view.

This desu. I bought mine for college cuz I thought it had good enough specs to do any projects on and be there for entertainment as well. Wasn't a bad choice

But not Windows, they have Microsoft business quality.

If you wanted Linux you can install that on Dell computers

They're okay now that Nvidia is using full fat mobile chips. When a 690M was slower than a 650 they were shit.

>can do work
>1050 can play games casually however not at native 4k
>won't make you look like an idiot
>12 hour battery life
>awesome motherfucking screen
>used by our president
Seriously why do you guys hate on Dell?

Because for most people a nice gaming computer and a cheap Chromebook is better than a nice gaming laptop, and for a similar price.

Gaming laptops used to be bad in every situation but these days they're tolerable if you have a specific usage case.

Dell's quality is extremely hit-or-miss and their prices are rarely any better than other brands. If you do your research you might be fine, but you're still taking a risk.

Spending double the price for far less performance
yeah I'm sure it's such a steal def worth it
Spending 2,000 dollars for the performance of a 700 dollar PC

No gaming laptop is as good as a PlayStation Pro and they are multiples of the cost of one too.

because of the prices, I mean seriously can Dell jack up their pri

I was being sarcastic because of Dell's relation to Alienware.

It's frowned upon because most of Sup Forums are composed of asocial neckbeards, who don't travel, have jobs, or have any need to move around for even short periods of time. They think that because they're homebound most of the time, then that means the rest of the world must be like them too.

The only valid criticism on gaming laptops is that they expensive (paying for the mobility is a premium) and they, at least in the past, tend to overheat and die prematurely.

they still overheat and die easily
they last half as long as a desktop and paying nearly triple for mobility is not a valid premium

Sorry I was too much in shill mode

Dell product are good though pretty much universally as of Skylake

Easier to pack up if you are constantly relocating as well. But then again there are miniITX builds that would cost far less. The monitor would be fragile and take up a lot of space though.

mini-ITX user here. China has actually started making affordable 1080p 15.6" and 17.3" monitors, which are easier to protect. Just put them in laptop sleeves/bags and hand-carry them.

except fit in your backpack. not a fan of strapping a laundry basket of shit on my moto and or bicycle.

not everybody sits in their fuckign basement you neet. some of us have jobs that require us to be out of town for long periods and have friends that we like to play games in person with. also Solidworks interfacing with Mastercam isnt exactly "in the question" for many laptops.

Quit spending all your free times on games, you fucking child. Enrich yourself instead of masturbating into a USB port.