IBM MAINFRAME

would it be worth buying this, feasibly could it be usable for light work?

or is it just a 4000 pound money pit

govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1249&acctid=2687

how much would it cost to run them both?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=45X4VP8CGtk
tech-news.com/another/ap200808b2.html
gizmodo.com/265615/5-million-cray-y-mp-supercomputer-is-now-baby-furniture
govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=2737&acctid=1317
govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=10&acctid=8520
govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=4&acctid=8904
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What would you even need it for? Commercial servers are big, loud and power hungry.

if you have to ask this, then dont waste your money.

could i play tf2?

If you have to ask this, then don't waste your money.

wtf am i looking at

oldish ibm mainframe

You can build something better for cheaper....

manchild
sage

If you're an IBM sysadmin you might be able to partition the CPU(s) and run Linux on it.
But you'd probably need to run VM to host it and that's a steep license.
Ask at you local IBM office if there's a Red Book available for it.

I owned a P690 Regatta back in the day. Shit was cash bro.

kys scum. People literally do not even play that game, they just trade fucking hats with each other.

>the bid was 500 and it $1000

Thanks Sup Forums

>tfw you'll always get cucked out of you mainframe because poor
I even ran MVS on Hercules; sysgen and everything.

S H I P P E D

Ask this kid
youtube.com/watch?v=45X4VP8CGtk

Spoiler Alert: It's a useless paperweight.

God dammit

Yeah it would only be worth wild if it was local

Haven't watched it, heard about him though

lol is it even legal to just go buy a fire truck and drive it around?

Use them to host Minecraft and then charge for donations.

I'd like to pin him up against the mainframe and fuck his tight ass.

the land of ffffffffffffffffffffreedom user

you've never seen anyone drive an old cop car? you gotta take off the decals and identifiers so people don't think you're an emergency vehicle and that'd pretty much it.

You might need a CDL for some of those though

cop cars are just regular cars though. there's fire trucks and ambulances for sale.

>tfw want a Crown Vic to fuck with everyone but they're all automatic

Shut up. Why does it even matter? Good God people are stuck up over some of the most tedious things.

Want to know something funny?

I know of a small collective of houses out in the middle of the woods, the only thing that makes them apart of the "grid" is a lone telephone line that runs to them, no electric, no water. Mostly older folk that live out there.
One of them bought a used fire truck and parked it on his property and calmed on his insurance that he WAS the volunteer fire department. Because he did this the fire insurance for him and his neighbors in a ~10 mile radius dropped by like 80%,
An old man in his early 70s with no ready access to a water stream was able to become a fire department because he bought one off of a government auction for a few hundred bucks. How about that.

Because I like to drive stick? What kind of retarded question is that?

was thinking the same thing. gotta see those pink cheeks.

>One of them bought a used fire truck and parked it on his property and calmed on his insurance that he WAS the volunteer fire department. Because he did this the fire insurance for him and his neighbors in a ~10 mile radius dropped by like 80%,

Doesn't he go to prison if there is a fire and the insurance finds he lied?

>it's a Sup Forums discovers govdeals episode

I asked around about this with the people in the area, and consensus was, that he declared that he was volunteer (got certified in town even), not a real fire department, which really any one can claim to be, and insurance had to take down the information about the truck and it's housed facility (a fucking blue tarp).

So the fact that the insurance company is discounting the way that they are is really at fault of their own. What ever adjuster decided that that was good enough would probably be the one hung by the company.

Don't buy it unless you live near a hydro electric dam and have a deal with said power supplier.

Why hydro?

how many of these would I need to build a star wars shield generator for my house? my budget is $500

You wouldn't even be able to afford to turn it on with that budget

muh cheap energy

You can't run them both on the same circuit. Power consumption could be anywhere from 2-4kw each. It could cost you upwards of $500 a month to have both powered 24/7.

it's so cute that you searched for fire trucks

Those things run AIX so you have to learn a real UNIX. Not that GNU/Looney shit.

He actually could install Linux on them.

I think so. When I was in college there was a fraternity (Pike) that had their own fire truck. They would all jump up on it and drive around campus.

>feasibly could it be usable for light work?
what's "light work" to you? these systems handled millions of transactions every day for years on end without faltering and basically shrink several racks' worth of servers into a single ultra-reliable and ultra-compatible package, of course they can solve whatever basic bitch problems a home user would need them to solve and far better than any off the shelf piece of shit you can cobble together from logicalincrements even today

but if you have to ask such a thing you really have no idea what the fuck you're doing, maybe I should egg you on anyway to learn about it since fuck knows what would happen to them otherwise, they probably go to scrapper scum

same, maybe some day I'll get my hands on an old eS-era Z or an S/390 and open it up to the public

you could actually probably do this unironically thousands of times over and it would still be a waste

good luck licensing that shit though

that's POWER systems you dipshit, these run z/OS and its various relatives, plus Linux in VMs

Your LED-encrusted Ryzen shitbox is reliably running thousands of multi-user VMs concurrently with decade-long uptime? That's pretty incredible.

I kind of miss OS/2. I'm sure they still use it to manage T1's and the like.

I saw a video on a guy buying one of these recently. I think OP did the same.

Now, it couldn't be used for mining blockchains, but could it be used for training a neural network? Or would it be a terrible idea? I'm thinking that it might just be better to buy a couple of high end GPUs or even shit like Tegras that are geared more towards intense calculations rather than graphics.

>He only drives a 5/6 SPEED
kys
why would anyone want to drive a stick shift car...

Yes they are great for browing facebook

t. murican driver

unless you're crazy rich it isn't feasible to run your own mainframe for personal use, the energy is just too expensive

most IBM mainframes draw 14kW of energy; source:tech-news.com/another/ap200808b2.html

there are 730 hours in a month

most people pay 12 cents per kilowatt hour for electricity

730 * 14 * 0.12 = $1226.40 electric bill per month

That's like 5% for an average american, right? In my country we pay around 7% of our income for electricity bill.

It would be cool it fill it with modern hardware tho.

>waah stop liking what I don't like

Just because he has a mainframe doesn't mean it needs to be running 24/7. He has a hobby, not a financial institution.

lol firetruck...you can buy a tank and drive around

Looking through the electronics and computers section, I find it funny that a majority of the listings are from southern states.

>P690 Regatta
Other than that 1000 kg mass, why didn't you keep it??

Uncommon architecture means the attack plane is different and it will most likely not be breached.

Got a better way to run z/OS outside of a VM?

You can also buy guns they seized from drug dealers.

Also you'd need to have a special outlet installed for it

Pic related, its the cord

Is it possible to chuck a video card in this so I can play games? It must be way faster than an i7.

>muh power consumption is actually a decent point for once
Though if you really gimped it and only ran it for a day or two straight a month would be a bit more cost-effective if you really want to say you're running z/OS at home, mainframes in home collections are really impractical as shit

These things belong in museums or other big public spaces that can sustain them and afford to make them useful again, that z10 in the OP shot would make a pretty wicked teaching tool

Even if it's bait the idea of some hipster doing this makes my blood boil, just buy a generic IBM rack for the same effect instead of wasting tons of money and time gutting a rare piece of multi-million dollar kit like that.

>the idea of some hipster doing this makes my blood boil

gizmodo.com/265615/5-million-cray-y-mp-supercomputer-is-now-baby-furniture

im sorry user

No. You're supposed to use an attached workstation.
Mainframes don't have PCI/ISA/whatever slots.
They use fast/wide PC-style chips to run their I/O devices, but the actual "guts" are usually custom designed and made from the ground up. No off-the-shelf parts.

man fuck that

Those systems are such fucking works of art inside and out, Seymour Cray was a fucking genius and niggers like these just shit all over everything that made them so incredible in the first place turning them into empty doorstops

(autistic screeching continues for several hours)

>tfw the watson computer is turned into a changing table in 30 years

That's not nearly as bad as it could be. Everything is intact, they're just using it as furniture.

Man IDK if this is a honeypot but if not user I fucking love you

ibm contractors sold them to isis

so..probably yes

got a link?

no software lol

hey guys should i get this, possibly for just going to the store and back for some milk

or it is maybe just money not well spent

i mean, ill probably hire a pit crew also

kek
if i could buy that for 2000 then why not

100 Macbook Pros

govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=2737&acctid=1317

>10k

that's actually not a bad price at all

>reserve not met

they got a lot of stuff

govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=10&acctid=8520

We have a Cray machine at work, a bunch of dressed up Navy guys came in and carted it into our machine room and it's been whirring there ever since. Nobody seems to really know what it does

>Nobody seems to really know what it does
It's for the Naval Academy students to study supercomputing.

breeders are the fucking worst

god i want one of those

>shrinkwrap not covering entire pallet
as a warehouse employee this triggers me

Just install Ubuntu on it.

>Here's were we store the babies shitty nappies

either that or they gut it and turn it into a vegan burrito stand

although im sure in 30 years it will be something much worse

Kek

not bad actually
govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=4&acctid=8904

>tfw don't know how to drive manual

So learn. I didn't know how to drive my first car when I bought it

z/OS already has a Unix environment built in though

Am I /wt/ yet

I never realized the glass front thing was actually part of the whole enclosure

>It would be cool it fill it with modern hardware tho.
Have you any idea what sort of technology is in those things?
I know it's Real Kewl to diss mainframes, but when you need something to run a network of thousands of interactive and batch terminals, your only option is a mainframe; PC technology won't cut it.
Want to run a million row spreadsheet? How about a live database of the contents of every Walmart in the world? Ford have a bunch of mainframes running all their production lines all over the world. That's parts inventory through to floor stock.

My dad said if I did well at school I could get a new computer

Is this a good graphics card for Minecraft?

Quadro P6000???

no kys yourself there's enough bait in this thread
OUT OUT OUT

It's not bait, you fucking dumbass. He's demonstrating OP's stupidity.

that's already been demonstrated for like pretty much the entire thread you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome

>I'm clearly not the guy that did it
>still going after me with personal insults
Did you forget your meds today or are you just a special kind of stupid?

>he doesn't recognize a basic shitposting pasta
come on nigger damn don't take this place so seriously

>stream of random insults
user, think if where you are. There's a 90% chance a poster is serious and just going on an autistic fit of rage when you see a post like that.

I used to think that way but really I can't take this place seriously anymore, it's all about (You) farming nowadays

IBM are just huge number crunching machines.
Try using Z/OS 360/OS that shit is so fucking ancient , making anything takes fucking forever , also EBCDIC.

For anyone that wants to play around, there is an IBM mainframe emulator called Hercules.