Linux isn't UNIX

>Linux isn't UNIX

Good thing BSD is.

Of course not, Linux its a kernel

>Not using VIMA

>anything but AIX

Shut up, nerds

AIX can't run on my computer.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

GNU's Not UNIX either tho

He cannot draw.

L inux
I s
N ot
U ni
X

Duh.

You're right, it's better

HOLY SHIT. Are you telling me that touhou is almost old enough to legally drink now?

LX

Does UNIX suck, too? Or is that just a BSD thing?

What's vima?
Shoud I go free bsd or dragonfly?
First time bsd system.
A standard i5 6200 in a laptop.
Only gonna work (prg, office,...)
Browsing and movies on it. (and rice, lot of it)

Can't Drink legaly
20yo. Your country so fucking weird

The only Linux based operating systems that are Unix are Inspur K-UX and Huawei EulerOS. To say that any other Linux based OS is UNIX is indisputably wrong.

BSD is Unix, though, not UNIX. BSD is better than UNIX, as far as I understand.

MacOS is pretty much the only good Unix left now Solaris is dad.

GNU's Not Unix

Just a free ripoff

Except when the guy that created Unix (D. Ritchie) says Linux is the modern Unix you kinda have to listen to him.

I meant UNIX, not Unix.

he can say whatever he wants but that doesn't make it actually true

Linux is indeed the "modern Unix" in that its the spiritual successor to it and acts mostly the same for all intents and purposes, and that's what he meant

but it still doesn't have a lick of AT&T code in it and thus doesn't descend from Unix (and isn't even remotely one) any more than Windows NT descends from VMS because of its influences

He can draw legs now, hands? not so much still.