200 hackers at UC Berkeley gathered to save federal climate change data before it gets erased

This is deep.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=msX4oAXpvUE
wired.com/2017/02/diehard-coders-just-saved-nasas-earth-science-data/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i bet they don't even know what they are doing

lol this

It can literally be done by a couple of engineers in a few days

>how many class of 2020 UC Berkeley students does it take to run wget -r

This is just a social gathering for people with annoying personality traits

>that bloom
dumb nigga doesn't even know how to use a camera
>all macbooks
>that fucking faggot is just looking at a text document

are they hacking the cloud?

they are hacking racism

[citation needed]

>hackers

Are the Alt Right raiding this board?

Just say no to degenerate scumbags. Punch them if yo see them irl.

Hands off or sons asses, Milo.

none
because they are brain dead mac users who think taking CS makes you a hacker

they are bioengineering a must so strong. why isnt this collective group effort considered terrorism?

>Hackers
>Macbooks

My fucking sides.

not everyone is a basement dwelling gnu fag

you mean you don't need 200 people to mirror a site?

They are saving the planet, what's wrong with you?

The hardware is fine. Just gotta take control of your laptop and make it yours (ie - get OS X off of that shit asap).

I personally am running GNU/Linux on my macbook pro 2015 model (my University paid for it, so why not?).

How can you be a hacker if you cant even use your own tech as you want to

Donald "The Stump" Trump reportedly attempted suicide

What exactly are they hacking?

deep

You can install Linux on Mac Books so your point is moot

You now remember that the Australian shitposter who hacked Sup Forums used a mac

This.

>falling for the hoax

Global warming isn't even real retard.

the planet so they can reverse global warming you tard.

I wonder what the carbon footprint of their little retarded event and all that went into making their gadgets is.

Hacking the planet? With a laptop, what kind of retard talk is that?

You wouldn't get it.

>TFW they all saved the first 400GB and the rest is gone for good.

But these brave young men are literally hacking government websites to save the planet from global warming, why aren't you grateful for these hero's?

>men
>brave
TRIGGERED

Clearly I don't get it, is this the only site in the world that contains the valuable data that will save us all from global bullshit?

It's not even hacking, they are simply saving already public info from the government website.

If they were ""hacking"", the university wouldn't allow it.

Sitting like that every day since I got my laptop at 15 gave me neck and back problems. Where are their desks?

who

If universities have gone full retard over anti trumpsters, blm, safe spaces, white privilege etc then I have strong doubts they would do anything about liberal cucksters hacking websites of the evil dictatorship government

yet these liberals are so dumb it takes 200 of them to save a few hundred gigabytes

Desks where a symbol of white oppression

Because "muh ebil republicans" meme. Don't forget, this is the same school that had mass riots and stabbings and shut down an event that was going to be given by a gay guy about free speech.

200 skids or one (1) wget spider

As someone from Singapore, how long until all out civil war starts in America?

Pic related, it's what Berkeley promotes.

Soon, I hope.

TRUMP SUPPORTERS ON SUICIDE WATCH!!!

most of them are on Macbooks so of course they have no idea

Kek
We can only hope and pray. The easiest way to beat the liberal Nazi's is to block all social media sites, they would have a clue what to do after that.

>getting any real work done on an undocked laptop
>needing 200 people to run one script

>not "disrupting" racism

Notice only the fat fucks get chairs and the lack of niggers and a couple of poo in the loo's and zero girls.
Where's the cultural diversity and gender equality?

>it takes 200 people to back up data
>'hackers' encompasses all of those people who just can use command line
>implying there's backups of all of this data somewhere else
damn nice click bait bro

>headline news
lol

>crying about "hacking" being a broad and useless term
lol

>nobody who doesn't agree with my opinions could ever possibly do anything
lol

>singapore

lol

Wintoddlers intimidated by commercial UNIX.

>linux with a glowing apple logo on the back
It's sick.

>dang I really hate global warming bro
>lets all gather around this room and leave our laptops on while complaining about it and wasting energy

>linux
>it's sick
We know. It was never a viable alternative to Solaris, HP-UX or Macos on the desktop; it was just cheaper.

It's ironic how much liberals cry about "nazis" when they're literally fucking nazis. They constantly go around shutting down shit just because they have a different opinion. Never in my life have I actually seen a neo-nazi in person, but I've seen plenty of commies and liberal nazis

>let's make a backup of irrelevant data, which was destroyed because no one needs it anymore
>gather 200 people to do so, because this will make the file system transfer faster
>repeat every week while annoying the server admin because he somehow doesn't want strangers to fiddle with his data structure

Is this it ? Is this the point at which i can honestly say, "I just don't get people these days" ?

No tables, no chairs.
This is organization at its best.

>mac
>hackers
Why are amerifats so fucking dumb

>All these gahnoo/loonix tards triggered over the fact that people are using a POSIX-certified OS that actually works

Yeah we should be worried about the limited storage space for digital files

why are eurofags so poor

you can make network requests from literally any network connected device...........................

"Here lemme upload a few gigs of that to my Dropbox."

oh lol this shit again

Traditional Unices almost killed the whole thing because the vendors were more interested in fighting one another than in actually marketing an OS. It's the prime reason why (classic) Mac OS and DOS/Windows won the consumer market even though they were as inferior to UNIX as it gets. Even when standardization across vendors started to take shape, there were TWO mutually hostile standardization efforts (POSIX and OSF). And when it seemed that a BSD port to i386 could happen, AT&T stepped in with a lawsuit that, although horribly backfired, halted any progress and trust in BSD for a long time as everyone was scared of lawyers knocking on their door.

GNU/Linux was the only thing at the time that was:
1, available on cheap Intel hardware
2, free in both meanings
3, not turned into a radioactive wasteland by lawsuits

It's ironical but the main reason GNU and Linux got this far is because they are *not* UNIX. Everyone else got BTFO by lawsuits (BSD), inability to adapt (Sun, many others), or sheer incompetence (AT&T).

youtube.com/watch?v=msX4oAXpvUE

These guys watched too much NCIS and think they're "hacking"...

they are hacking freedom

>"hacking" with a mac
>mfw

> few engineers
Literally just one autist and wget

If the only people that care can't figure out how to use nmap and wget/are unable to do this themselves, I'm not sure how important this data is.

>all government data is available via anonymous http/s and ftp.

You guys are brilliant bumpkins.

Not exactly Aaron Swartz, are they?

but guys, the information will change the world!

AHAHAHAH DRUMPFT BTFO!!!

Are they doing it manually ?
This could be done from a server with lots of HDD space and your sure there is no duplicated files, you need 2 people for it and a server with at least 1Gbps full duplex and you'll have the docs pretty fast.

>Are they doing it manually ?
yes, they are tagging and sending it to web archival sites.

>you need 2 people for it

no.

Are you retarded? You can install Linux on it and then it just becomes a normal laptop.

And that data is so important they couldn't buy their own server for storage ?
You can literally script that and you don't need to do it manually.

The only thing retarded is moving from Unix to Linux.

>You can literally script that and you don't need to do it manually.
no.

(((they))) are rewriting history just pretty much the same way (((ISIS))) has destroyed all Sumerian artifacts over the east.

>live in bay area
>see protest on ktvu channel 2 news
>see all these Berkeley students destroying their city
>all the fuckers they interview are out of area or out of staters
I DON'T WANT SOME KID FROM WISCONSIN RUINING JOHN's ICE CREAM BUSINESS

>Hacking

Overloading a server with packet request doesn't make you a haxer

And why not?
Doesn't seem that important to people if they don't do it properly because using a web archiver is worse than actually archiving that shit on HDDs

In the context of hacking? Are you a mong?

Read the wired article you illiterate fuck.
I have better things to do than regurgitate their methodology and reasons thats already been reported on.

Can somebody source Trump saying he will delete data on federal servers? It's not unbelievable, but I would like to hear it from his mouth.

>I was too young to know about UNIX.
Go bother your mom since you're too young to know that Linux is a clone of UNIX.

>all the fuckers they interview are out of area or out of staters

That's what all these things are.
George Soros commie buses show up to make it look like the whole country is in revolt when it's really just a bunch of his faggots going from place to place.
I wish the National Guard would start shooting these Marxist fucks, give them something else to cry about for the next 50 years.

>they are simply saving already public info from the government website
So they're doing something archive.org already did years ago?
Jesus, everytime I think liberals can't do anything stupider shit like this happens.

war isn't waged with weapons anymores huehue

>So they're doing something archive.org already did years ago?
no.

There's no harm in people backing up data. I would like to know what Trump said to make them lose their shit though.

Yep. Just another Winchester and it'll be safe. Sure.

wired.com/2017/02/diehard-coders-just-saved-nasas-earth-science-data/

Did you guys even read the article? I understand students at UC Berkeley are probably a meme, but if you actually think a little wget action is all you need to deal with indexing and tagging this much data, you're a fucking moron.

>we are hacking the climate
>ssh weatherd@earth -p 9324

Lmao at all the skids here who think "you need Linux to hack". Just because all the shit tools you guys use are written for Linux doesn't mean that it can't be done on other operating systems

>Berkeley
Go to a real school, niggers.

>Linux is a clone of UNIX.
If you consider Minix to be UNIX, which it isn't.