Meme degree?

Hey, Sup Forums. Are Computer Science degrees memes, or can you actually get jobs with them?

who told you that you can't get jobs with a CS degree?

Absolute memetics. Memes make money that run the motor of the world.

Meme jobs

I got a dev job without a CS degree so probs

he's asking if this thing he heard, that people can't get jobs with CS degrees, is true. he's not asking if a CS degree is necessary, but if it's sufficient.

a CS degree isn't necessary; there are certainly people that get jobs without degrees — and some get good jobs at competitive companies — but to the question of whether it's sufficient, generally yes. if you go to one of the top 100 universities in the US (which goes way fucking down the list to some garbage universities) and get a degree in CS and put in a modicum of effort to do an internship or two and meet people a year or two ahead of you, getting a job after you earn your CS degree should be a non-issue.

What I'm looking at the moment is a 5 year MComp degree in Computer Science. Apparently at the end I'll get a Masters without having to apply for MSc. Just asking if it's worth putting the 5 years in. Also, I get an accreditation from a chartered institute.

>first phone screen earlier today
>"Would you be able to tell me what a pointer is?"
>mfw

Come on, man, that's baby shit

1) i have no idea what a chartered institute is but it doesn't sound very prestigious.
2) i gave you an answer to this question in the very post you quoted. did you read the whole post?

they seem to be a good meme if you can get a good job straight after graduating

>autism

typical college student. Skids.

"But, hey, I have a degree! Look! I'm smart"

i could imagine someone hearing that in an interview and just choking. it's such a stupidly simple question that it almost seems like it's asking for something deeper. in the moment of overthinking the question the interviewee has basically mentally tripped and fallen down this rabbit hole of trying to decipher what's probably arguably too basic a question to ask in an interview anyway.

blanking on simple questions is super common. people gear themselves up for complex problems and it completely fucks them up when you ask them something basic.

Realistically, the degree is a complete meme for what you're trying to do.

That being said, HR people are still idiots and will ask for a degree if you try to apply for anything higher than entry level.

Is a Computer Science Associate Degree worth anything?

CS is cool if you like math and programming, and I mean really like it

If you want an easy computer janitor gig then just get a certification

Just talked about this today with co-workers.

>See job listing for place I work at requiring high school diploma/GED
>Call bullshit
>Find out senior dev on my team doesn't have a college degree
>Didn't need a degree to get my job, could have been debt free

Granted he started working in high school as a software dev. If you have the connects like that then I suppose you could skip the degree altogether.

Speaking as someone who actually works at a tech company and did go through the four years to get a CS degree....

CS degrees are no meme, but they don't really matter much if you can't program your way out of a paper bag. They are basically a jump-start or entry point for a job. It's easy to get past certain HR filters when applying for jobs if you do have such qualifications ready.

However, the thing of most concern is not the degrees or certificates you hold, but that you can actually do what you claim to be able to do. If you went to a good school and actually learned the crap they taught you during your CS undergraduate years, then you should have no problem getting employed, and you should ace the interviews.

That doesn't necessarily mean you need a CS degree, because honestly I sometimes feel that I wasted a lot of my time in college, because all that really matters to the company is that you can code.

Anyway, your question is kind of stupid. Of course you can get jobs with them. In fact it's easier to get a job with one, that is without one. But again it has more to do with your skill as a programmer more so than anything else.

>thinking your shitty no name company matters when people with degrees are getting six figures right after graduation from Twitter and Facebook

i don't think so dude. if you can't answer "what's a pointer" at any given time, then you don't know what it is. that'd be like a normie forgetting what 2 + 2 is

100k+ in dallas ain't too bad

I'm 1.5 years out of college with a CS degree and make $80k salary. So it's not all that bad

what does your job entail?

I have a comp sci degree, all my friends that got creative writing, journalism, English, marketing and advertising degrees are not working in their studied field and I am. Same goes for anyone I know who studied anything computer or electronics related. The meme degrees are still the ones old people made fun of people for 20-30 years ago

With every language avoiding the nasty word pointer like it is some great sin you might have more trouble finding someone who knows what a pointer is.

A CS degree is a nice little certificate, but it only works if you learn how to code (which encompasses more than getting that degree) and actually want to code.

It's hardly the only way to get into the industry, but if you're going to college anyway you might as well pick something up while you're there.

ios. c, swift, objective-c

ah, so you're an "app" guy

code is code. It doesn't matter what it is on. Unless it is something awful like ruby

>CS is a meme
wew lad

it's not autistic it's a concept literally build in to most modern processors. the operand for an operation can be a constant, memory address, or pointer to a memory address. It's call COMPUTER SCIENCE you dumb fuck. not php and html my way to 70k.
This is why we just need "developer" degrees.

It doesn't matter what it's on, but it matters what it is. And short of Google's text-recognizer/translator, I've yet to see anything of value that has been made on/for a phone.

All degrees are memes. Enjoy your debt.

Big picture man. Would we be where we are now with AI and pretty much everything else of importance running off GPU's if everyone had your mindset and noone made games and other things of no value? No. Hell no.

keep making your money and advancing civilization, or whatever it is you're claiming to do

at the end of the day you're still an app maker and Sup Forums doesn't like you

>implying he should care whether people on an anonymous image board like what he is doing or not

>Makes 100k+ a year doing thing he probably enjoys

>Implying he doesn't know enough code to actually do things that are way beyond useful

Gonna bring out a vintage meme for you bud, you jelly.

Here in Seattle Area if you throw a rock chances are you'll hit someone with a CS degree. The Tier 1 Desktop Support positions require a CS degree here because they can, the market is flooded.

If you go out in the mid-west you can get into a good position without a CS degree.

Location, location, location...

In Seattle you can work for Microsoft who pays $150k a year for new grads. In the midwest you can build a website for Joe's popcorn machine repair service for $12 an hour.

>tfw 21 year old CE sophomore

I feel so old but had to drop out for three years because I couldn't afford school kek.

Any of you guys get a job through Launchchode?

Honestly I would love a job where I get to make Apps. The concept of a piece of software you can take with you anywhere is just so cool.

you're not that old. i was 24 when i graduated from my undergrad. spent like 4 years in community college figuring my shit out before transferring, but kicked ass once i did.

you're obsessing over a tiny fraction of your life, and nobody really scrutinizes the year you graduated. it's not like a wine vintage. they're just looking at where you graduated, and making sure you didn't do something fucking retarded like put a date in the future on your resume

CS is a meme, go for CE or EE.

choking is a pretty well-studied phenomenon. it happens pretty often, and this scenario (high stakes interview, a question that frankly is out of left field for being so stupid, etc...) is pretty much typical choking conditions.

it's fine if you don't know anything about this kind of thing, but in that case just listen and pay attention.

A CS degree alone, is kinda meh.

A CS degree and host of work experience in any real job field (ie not fast food or other crap service job).

I got a job as a developer for a company's in house accounting software. I have no degree, 10 years as an Automotive Technician, 4 years AP/AR, and 2 years IT.

I came into the Job with about 8 months self study in Ruby and have been learning Java on the job.

I was picked over other candidates with 'better' on paper programming credentials because I knew how to market my skills and experience. I am better able than a fresh graduate genius CS kid to integrate with the team and understand what the rest of the company wants out of our software suite.

How do I get job in CS while currently working on CS degree? How'd you get your job without degree?

i graduated from RIT with a cs degree. probably the most valuable thing about the program was a degree requirement which mandated 4 quarters of paid software internships. to facilitate the requirement the school had lots of connections to industry, career fair type events and opportunities to meet people looking to hire interns and new grads. this included everything from local start-ups to big-4 companies.

i still value what i learned in class but the fact that i graduated with a year's worth of work experience at various places made it that much easier to land a full-time gig afterwards. if you're worried about finding a job after graduation, i recommend finding a school with a good co-op program.

Thanks. It's just frustrating I guess. The years since high school have been pretty tough in terms of school issues, friend issues, and direction issues, haha.

I'm learning C right now and want to do Php and Ruby after, then probably Python or Java.