/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

old thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?
Also, post your programming environment!

Other urls found in this thread:

opensource.guide/
bbs.progrider.org/prog/
archive.tinychan.org/prog/
mapeditor.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Swap Fast Development with Neither and that pic will be true.

A Skynet-inspired submodule for Mike Pence.

>Rust
Rust keeps the C/C++ retards away by being too hard. If you are programming in Rust I would automatically assume your Rust code is better than 97% of Sup Forums toddlers anytime and anyday.

C/C++ is a beginners' language.
Rust is not.

Is this reply bait?

Your pic is bait

>fast development
>development
>hasklel
>(((Development)))

I've recently passed an introductory course in Java EE development course. I really enjoyed it, but the content provided was quite shallow. I would love to continue learning.

Could anyone recommend a really good J2EE book(s)?

I tried googling for one but most of the time people recommend JSP & Servlet books. I'd also welcome some material on JPA, Hibernate, Spring/REST, J2EE patterns...

So, I'm working on a proof-of-concept for a text-based RPG made with HTML and Javascript. What's a JS validator that doesn't bitch about using tabs instead of spaces? And for a project like this, should I be using a pre-made framework or library, keeping in mind that I'm trying to keep things(relatively) simple?

Fixed it for you

what's the difference between scripting and programming

REPORT AND IGNORE TRANNY THREADS

Fuck off

programming languages translate to native machine code while scripting languages are either interpreted or translated to something that is run on shit like JVM

So you are saying Java is a scripting language and cannot compile native binaries?

>Also, post your programming environment!
Vim + CLI

Scripting is suited for dealing with simple problems with limited scope. Programming is for more complex stuff. Need to search a database with 10 000 emails for specific keywords and don't have a suitable tool handy? Use a scripting language. Want to make a new web-browser? Use a programming language.

if it compiles to native machine bytecode then i don't have a problem with it being called a programming language. JVM was just an example, could be any other VM

Did you just pull that specification out of your ass? Yes?

Check this retard out

A Python interpreter is also just a VM. Technically, your operating system is just a VM.

>Any actualization of code is a VM
Woah

That's not what echoes mean dumbass

Why are you responding to her?

Why are you responding to me?

opensource.guide/

hmmmmmm

Actually quite simple. Chromatic aberration means that red/green/blue are offset.

left = GetPixel(image, x - xoff, y - yoff);
right = GetPixel(image, x + xoff, y + yoff);
here = GetPixel(image, x, y);

SetPixel(ret, x, y, left.R, right.G, here.B);

nerd

Go translates to native machine code :^)

This is one of my favorite memes.

>What's a JS validator that doesn't bitch about using tabs instead of spaces
TypeScript
>pre-made framework or library
Maybe a library to abstract rendering on the Canvas/WebGL, but everything else is bloat.

>Code of Conduct
Stopped reading there.

I'll check that out, thanks.

For a simple website doesn't it make more sense to have the css and js embedded in the document instead of externally linked to reduce the number of server requests?

I'm no filthy webdev, but I think it's because it allows the browser to cache the javascript.

rude desu

>For a simple website doesn't it make more sense to have the css and js embedded in the document instead of externally linked to reduce the number of server requests?
Depends

If the content of the page changes frequently, then you'd rather have scripts and CSS separated so that the browser may cache these while retrieving fresh document data.

If everything is static, then it might be the case.

Why do you space your posts like that?

Nothing but inane content

It's called separating your paragraphs. It helps the reader scan your message, especially if it's long. You'd know if you were old enough to have used mailing lists or newsgroups.

The blank lines autism is sillier than the "app" autism.

Sup Forums is multiple times worse than the September that never ended.

Well, duh.

>calling C/C++ one and the same

Those aren't paragraphs. They are all individual sentences, and they're all related.
Learn to format your posts correctly, you illiterate redditor fuck.

C/C++/C#

>1 Mb executable
hah

Holy shit, this thread is worse than /agdg/. I miss /prog/.

hard != needlessly complex

Emacs+SLIME+Paredit

>if it compiles to native machine bytecode
How can a language do this? Did I miss some breakthrough?

added to filter

bbs.progrider.org/prog/

You've had years to add him to your filter. Why today?

>him

It just isn't the same.
archive.tinychan.org/prog/

>xir

it's 2017

What happens if in java you have a reference to a field of another object that has been garbage collected?
Does the field become null aswell or fields that are referenced from somewhere else are spared?

what's a better word for nothing than "void"

>if in java you have a reference to a field of another object that has been garbage collected
Not possible.

nil

Define "nothing"

I hope you aren't implementing null in your language.

Man, you can really tell when things started to get bad on the internet and Sup Forums overall by going through the archives. 2011 was the last good year for using the internet to communicate with randoms. Past that, all of the "le memes are epin" crowd start bursting in and the content quality fucking PLUMMETS.

Had good times as 6502 assembly programming consultant work. Development was fast. Otherwise I would not have had a job.

Reliable too, 6502 is used in pace makers, taking the entire concept of life time guarantee to a new level. (No, I didn't program those)

Ok i'll try with an example
Obj j = new Obj;
reference r = j.myfieldWichIsAnObject();
j = null;

What happens here?
Will the object ever be garbage collected or as long as there is something referencing one of it's fields it won't be collected?

i'm just making a no return type.

"Nothing"

It is?!

Haskell has a unit type, called ().
A unit type only has 1 possible value.

This works out to be much better than having "no return"

You're making a no-return VALUE. Read Shutt's work on Kernel for a sane set of special values, including 'void' and '_', which are nicely symmetrical.

>X was the last good year
I remember think the same thing around 2008.

I remember back in 2011 when people used to say that about 2007.

every year sucks ass for someone

How is that any different form null?

It's like this:

struct Unit {};
// or
// data Unit = Unit
// (haskell style)

Unit theUnitValue {};

Unit myProcedure() {
// do stuff
return theUnitValue;
}

In fact, you can have it in your standard library, rather than built into the language.
The compiler can simply see the definition for Unit has no members, and therefore only has 1 possible value, and then optimise.

johnson is a lisp fag

And if by "null" you mean that every type has a "null" value, then that's not what I mean at all.

rewriting Haskell to be without any types whatsoever.

stop

type police

He does low-level stuff professionally, according to him. He also participated heavily in the Haskell push around that era.

My actual point was that /dpt/ has been trolling itself over Haskell for at least six years now.

I want to create some nice simple games/physic simulations without using some huge ass engine like Unity.
I know C pretty well, what kind of library should i use ? SDL sounds alright, do any of you have good tutorials on it ?

You'd just end up with base Racket.

Could look into SDL combined with something like box2d or Chipmunk (Depends on the sort of simulations and accuracy you're looking for). It's still going to probably be more work than using a prebuilt toolkit style solution.

SDL would be fine, slut-for-baguettes.

C and SDL
C++ and SFML
Lua and Love2D

All decent choices for simple games. Just work with the documentation, SFML and Love2D have great docs, can't speak for SDL.

Oh, and if you're into tiled rpg style games mapeditor.org/ has decent documentation and works well.

Jesus Christ, how the fuck do people always know i'm a frenchfag ? It's the space between the interrogation point and the end of the sentence isn't it ?
I'm looking at creating the physics part by myself, I want a little bit of challenge while learning some new stuff
Thanks.

As for a more general question, would it be worth it for me to learn C++ ? I'm a CE student, and i'm looking to learn some Enterprise Grade (tm) languages.

>It's the space between the interrogation point and the end of the sentence isn't it ?
Well, that and you being a huge faggot.

(You)

>implying you aren't faggots who can't cite actual reasons and just repeat the "hurr every generashun says that a certain year was the last good year" meme
All of the years prior had something stupid and bad about them, e.x., 2010 had a september where some assburger was spamming threads. However, 2011 is one of the last years where purely programming threads occupy at LEAST half of each page. Past that, it's shit about da joowz, people spam posting empty posts in on-topic threads, and Sup Forums/pol/ meme thread spam. Tech posts are advertising, "get in here" threads, and "how do I learn programming" threads; even homework threads begin diminishing as /prog/ nears its end.

Anyone know any decent step by step tutorials on how to create a cryptocurrency from scratch?

fork bitcoin
change the name
???

just study some existing sources.
I've recently created my own confederate currency

Depends "Enterprise Grade" typically means the standad Java, C#, Node.js, C, and whatever fotm database management language is popular at the time.

As for game dev if you're looking to go into engine work sure C++ is the most common language.