/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

mediamarkt.de/de/product/_philips-she3205bk-00-2038149.html
mediamarkt.de/de/product/_sennheiser-mx-475-1790448.html
mediamarkt.de/de/product/_akg-y-16-a-1801921.html
mediamarkt.de/de/product/_philips-flite-she4205bk-00-2170962.html
mediamarkt.de/de/product/_philips-she-3010bk-00-1895048.html
mediamarkt.de/de/product/_sennheiser-mx-375-1523907.html
mediamarkt.de/de/product/_panasonic-rp-hv-154-e-k-1209611.html
mediamarkt.de/de/product/_panasonic-rp-hv41-1692307.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ducks? ducks!

Won't fix something as bad as Grado.

slap em on some porta pros or something

who cares cause DUCKSSSS!

My headphones randomly snapped when i went to put them on my head lastnight.

How'd I do Sup Forums?

Best budget headphones coming through.

shoulda bought sr850

I want to buy a pair of good cans as a gift and those fuckers were my first choice. Too bad here in Europistan they cost more than double amazon.com's price, and importing them from abroad will take too much time.

I need something on that price range equally well built and well sounding.

Are these actually amazing or are they just amazing for the price of 75 dollars?

How do they compare to the HD 558/598s?

what are those?

Philips SHP9500. Out of production.

thanks

Just picked up the 598s on Amazon is this good? I was considering others like dt880 and hd600 but went with the 598 since I was blown away by the 558 pic related after 3 years dog finally got to them :(

Well, I guess if you really loved the 558's you made the right choice. Personally I would have gone with something else, as they're practically the same exact headphone (they have the same driver)

But, I mean if you loved the 558s, you can't really go wrong.

Well shit I mean I had heard nothing else that good before that. What would you recommend ?

>old and busted

Now replaced by what appears to be the generally same SHP9500S. Seems to be even cheaper.

I love the earpod format earphones (iems make me feel stuffy)

Are there any choices other than Apple's?

I don't know actually. I currently own the 558s. I think whenever I get new headphones next time, I might pick something a little more "colored" maybe the Fidelio x2's or something.

Problem is, after owning these, I don't think I wanna go back to round cups ever again. You really can't beat over-ear cups, I can wear these literally all day and there is zero fatigue whatsoever.

HD598 are very good, yeah. That's my main pair.

I do strongly have to emphatise they benefit a lot from having an amp. After two years without an amp, someone lent me a schiit fulla2 and I was blown away. You're seeing just little hints of what the headphones can do when using them without an amp.

>Budget
50€ max
>Location
Spain
>Source
PC, smartphone.
>Type of headphone
Full sized.
>Open or closed
Don't care but preferably closed.
>Comfort level
Willing to give up some comfort in favor of better sound quality but I need something I can wear for 2-3h without issues.
>Sound signature
I'm a dummie so I really don't know, the best for the average ignorant I guess.
>Past headphones
Turtle Beach Ear Force X12

I was a teenager and fell for the gaming marketing like 5 years ago. They are good but overpriced. Decent sound (very subjetive considering I've never used quality headphones), good isolation, comfy (I have quite small ears), long ass cable, good microphone.

Is it really that drastic? Cause they're driven very easily from my experience. What changes with an amp?

>50€ max

Very difficult to get something "full sized" at that price.

I'd say the entry point is HD598, which *sometimes* you can get at 100€ on amazon sales. See price history/set an alarm.

They're open, which typically sounds considerably better than closed for the same price.

Tel me about FOSTEX /hpg/. How good are they? Does anyone have a pair? Are they good value?

Keep in mind this is considering I've used many computers and soundcards as sources before trying the fulla2, so it isn't the case of one faulty source. Also keep in mind that testing is with reasonable volume, so it's not a matter of "I can make it louder now". From a fulla2 perspective, that's just playing with 1/4th (quiet, comfortable for long listening) to half (somewhat loud) of the volume wheel.

Hearing them with the fulla2 for the first time made me go O_O, as if there had been a fog all along, clouding what I could hear through the headphones.

Every song I tested sounded better. Songs I never cared about like chihaya's aoi tori suddenly became very grabbing and generally awesome.

Ended up purchasing the schiit stack (which sounds the same), as I had to return fulla2 to its owner. My advice now is to just get a fulla2; it's much, much better value for the money in terms of general usefulness than the stack.

are they better? Everywhere ive looked up it comes back to these

>Budget
~75
>Location
US
>Source
PC, smartphone.
>Type of headphone
Over or On ear
>Open or closed
Closed.
>Comfort level
Not a huge priority as they'll be my portable cans.
>Sound signature
Neutral, don't mind other sigs if within the price range.
>Past Headphones
CAL

I think the CAL's are excellent for portable use, but mine are starting to develop a slight short. So I figured I should look into a replacement.

May just replace the CAL or try to fix, thought I'd see what's out there first.

The Takstar HD2000 look intriguing, however there's almost no information about out there and a 6m cable might be too long for portable use.

For 50€ it's kinda hard to get half decent full sized headphones. If you double the budget a lot of valid options pop up.

>Sony MDR 7506
>Brainwavz HM5
>Status Audio CB-1
>Audio Technica ATH-M40x
All closed, all good, all under 100€

they're the 668b without the stupid headwings & with velour pads

While looking for a cheap pair of cans I found out these. Anyone has any opinion on them?

Alright guess Ill Kep the order in thanks guys!

Keep*

>old and busted
Kind of. Still great.

Is SE535 still recommended? My SE315's cable broke and I am thinking of upgrading rather than replacing.

Any durable earpods under

get the fuck out

I need good noise isolation + decent sound, and I got only $30. What should I get? What about Nuforce NE 600X?

Anyone know of any earpad replacements for the hd600? These stock pads are comfortable most of the time, but I still find them a bit stiff and scratchy.

VE Monk+

Superlux 681/668B/669
Samson SR850/950
The Superluxes will need new pads, HM5 or K240 pads work.

So thanks to these threads and others on reddit, I've narrowed my choices to two sennehiser headphones; the 558's and the 598's. As far as I can tell, there's not much difference between the two, but then I'm not really knowledgeable about this. So I was wondering if anyone here could help me with that.

They're pretty similar, 558 is warmer if that's what you want.

They're the same headphone. 598 is just a tad more open. Grab the 558's and do the foam mod if you wanna hear 598's.

and what do you and other mean by warmer? Sorry, I'm not an audiophile and the research I've done on headphones hasn't really shed light on that.

Has anyone tried Cowon EM1 ?

More bass

Where can I cop the Soundmagic e10s for not $60CAD?

okay thank you

and how about their feel, like comfort. When sitting on your head, do they feel same, different? Is one more comfortable than the other?

Maybe on Micca Store? If not brand new, they may have open-box for cheaper.

What's a good dac/amp for a HD598SE?
Under £100

what are some good earphones under 50€ that doesnt have silicone/soft tips?
bonus points for sturdy cables too

I've been looking at the monoprice 111567 and the
SMSL SD793-II, which are both DAC/Amp combos.

shit sorry, I replied to the wrong post

Same, except the head cushion is slightly more luxurious on the 598's. 558 one is still really soft, I own them and they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

got me all excited there user :(

>Budget
$50, though I'm willing to go a little bit over it
>Location
Brazil
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Don't care
>Comfort level
As long as it doesn't make my ears bleed, I'm fine with whatever
>Sound signature
I don't know better, so I suppose I'll pick neutral
>Past headphones
A bunch of shitty headsets not worth mentioning that usually had their wires break within a year of use. It's about time I moved away from those

I'm no audiophile. I barely listen to music and couldn't understand most of the stuff on the wiki page. All I want is something with decent sound quality and good lastability. I'm tired of having to replace my shit everytime one of the sides stops working

Anyone know of a 3.5 to 3.5 male to male coupler that is slim enough to fit in a Status CB-1?

Pic related, most of them seem to be about this size which won't fit.

Are the Panasonic SHP9500 available in Brazil?

They're great for movies and vidya, and you can easily attach a Boom Pro if you need a mic.

They're open so sound will leak and you'll hear the environment around you.

look for superlux 668b, 662 evo or sr850

Add Superlux 669/Samson SR950 to that list, Theyre the closed versions of the SR850/668B

I had HD330 a couple of years ago. Pretty solid "V" sound, they are perfect if you use to listen electronic music.

Thanks. What about comfort?

might be too bassy if closed

mediamarkt.de/de/product/_philips-she3205bk-00-2038149.html

mediamarkt.de/de/product/_sennheiser-mx-475-1790448.html

mediamarkt.de/de/product/_akg-y-16-a-1801921.html

mediamarkt.de/de/product/_philips-flite-she4205bk-00-2170962.html

mediamarkt.de/de/product/_philips-she-3010bk-00-1895048.html

mediamarkt.de/de/product/_sennheiser-mx-375-1523907.html

mediamarkt.de/de/product/_panasonic-rp-hv-154-e-k-1209611.html

mediamarkt.de/de/product/_panasonic-rp-hv41-1692307.html

which one of these has the sturdiest cable? least likely to lose sound on one side after 3 months?
which one would you recommend?

The one you take good care of.

What makes you think I'll take good care of them?
Well I guess then it will be Sennheiser it seems to come with a pouch.
Or should I go for the cheapest then?

If you're not going to take care of them, why even bother posting in this general?

Just get some cheap shit and use them until you break them.

>Why even bother posting in this general?
Where else should I post? I'll go to chinkshit general.

>Budget
$50 max
>Location
California
>source
Smartphone
>Type
On ear, over ear or in ear if the opening is small.
>Open/closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Bearable
>Sound signature
Don't care that much
>Grado SR80, Beyerdynamic DT770, MEElectronics Sport‑Fi M6

The sportfi m6 is what I use for my phone when I'm traveling/school but I have freak ear canals and produce a gratuitous amount of earwax so it's kinda gross out old earwax in the earphone canals... I was thinking about getting the koss portapro's but I'm scared my hair will constantly get caught in the headphone bands and pull them out.

What will be the most noticeable upgrade the dtt880 or the X2s?

So anyone tried Spinfit tips?
Are they really better than regular silicon tips?

K702 or Fidelio X2 ? From what I've seen the K702s build quality is not great, all plastic, but the X2s are twice the price. Are they worth it? Z-Reviews guy drooled all over them so idk, should I buy into the hype?

This is Zeos. He spends most of the time of his videos on autistic ramblings and spends seldom amounts of time talking about the sound. Say something nice about him.

He makes me feel better about myself.

Depends on what you're upgrading from

He has too many nice headphones

Buy k701 instead.
Bass is for niggers and mio has the k701s

I can't be mad about him because he helped me set up my 2.1 setup so...

His positiveness and enthusiasm helped me a great deal in pulling the trigger on a pair of X2, which is probably one of the best purchases I've ever made in my life.

He can't cook worth shit and is a deaf lard that misguides people into buying headphones

sounds like the entire head-fi community

Get the X2. I think their build quality is as good as build quality can get without resorting to exotic materials. Great value for money.

Check out the VE monks. Best value out there and might be what you're looking for.

Hmmm, something doesn't quite add up.

Head-fi and Reddit make fun of this guy

Does there exist a detachable earphone?

That uses 3.5mm for both ends? This would solve the eternal issue of cables shitting out

PLEXTONE X46M has detachable cabling and seems sturdy enough, however the endpoint looks like proprietary crap instead of the universal 3.5mm

Am I wrong in this?

I'm and it makes sense.
Zeos is great for two things:
>sorting out what you might want to buy
>convincing yourself to actually spend the money
This works great if you already want to buy a pair of headphones and you have a rough idea on the budget. Otherwise if you're an audiophool, or someone that just likes to watch reviews online for entertainment, then yes, he's a massive faggot that shills everything within his reach; everything he listens to is great, is the best, no amount of money seem to be unreasonable enough to discourage someone from buying a product. Again, because of this, if you're uncertain about purchasing or not, if you want just a little nudge towards the checkout at amazon, or wherever, then zreviews is great.

pinnacle P1 and shure se215 seem to have similar cabling, maybe even same plugins.

If so, then finding replacement cables might be easy.

Ordered myself Xiaomi Piston 3, how good are those? I listen to mostly synthwave/vaporwave.

It seems to be the MMCX cabling. Fairly common however mostly used for "high-end" earphones so cable replacement seems quite expensive.

Fiio e10k or Schiit Fulla 2?

>That uses 3.5mm for both ends?
It would be too bulky. TS plugs aren't really suited to this sort of use either, no locking mechanisms and prone to occasional shorts.

MMCX has been plucked from RF use as a common connector for earpieces. The more popular options are MMCX and the JH/UE style 2-pin connector.

Bose Sound True

I use the $11 Sony earphones that you can find at Best Buy™

Anything more spent is for autistic losers who browse Sup Forums

Idk but i want the th900 reall bad

T. deaf twentyonepilots fan

you don't like them?

they have some good songs

Yeah, that is true. He certainly did succeed at the last part. Can't wait to try out my X2s this weekend! Coming from a shitty gaming headset these should be a huge improvement.

Thanks for your comments too.

Been using JVC Marshmallows my entire life. It's time for an upgrade. Thoughts on these earphones as an upgrade?