Windows NT 3.51

Is this the most stable version of Windows?

Other urls found in this thread:

winworldpc.com/product/windows-3
extremetech.com/computing/233499-how-to-lock-down-windows-10-anniversary-update-to-protect-your-privacy
adolfintel.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1607.frag
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Is this the most stable version of Windows?
No.
Windows 7 is the most stable version of Windows

>Windows 7
>stable

Nah, Windows Server 2003 is about as stable as FreeBSD.

Never used Window 3.1 before though I've recently be looking into trying it in VirtualBox.

The first floppy image of Windows 3.1 wouldn't boot. So I went back to where I downloaded it from and found that I hadn't read the part where it says DOS is a requirement.

winworldpc.com/product/windows-3

Now installed.
pic related.

>I hadn't read the part where it says DOS is a requirement.
Windows, until relatively recently, was a shell that ran on top of DOS.
The fact that you were unaware of that crucial fact throws all your comments into doubt.

It was great at the time, but unless you lived somewhere with helpful computer shops (eg. Hong Kong) finding hardware with drivers was a bitch.

>until relatively recently
17 years ago is very recently?

In terms of windows, yes.

>got copy of NT 3.51 with my school texts
>try dual booting with my Win 95 machine
>wasn't aware my Win 95 OSR2 was formatted fat32
Hours of fun, eventually got it working a created a fat16 partition for moving shit between OS'.

Good old days of dial up internet and bringing stuff home from school in zip files spanned across a box full of floppies.

>throws all your comments into doubt
Which ones? The one where he said he never used it before? Or the one where he said he was looking into trying it?

10 is very stable. But, you have to know what you're doing.

>Sup Forums
>I'm an elite hacker
>I can't disable basic services on windows 10 though

I'd assume any Windows version for which support has dropped is pretty stable.
>teenagers don't know what stable means

>>bringing stuff home from school in zip files spanned across a box full of floppies.
Brutal.

17 years is more than half the time Windows has even existed.

>least unstable
FTFY

kys gramps

I really liked Windows 2000, used it until Windows 7.

Windows 2000. Rock solid.

>Windows NT 3.51
Huh. Was not aware that NT was that old. I had Win 3.1 from 1993 to 1998 then Windows 98, then I "upgraded" to ME, then I just installed XP on that PC.

This

This. Win2000 SP4 is about as stable as you can get. I'd love nothing more than to still be able to use it.

Windows 2000 is nice for the fact is just as stable as windows xp while still keeping most of the aesthetics from Windows 9x

NT's nice once you get it set up, but in my experience shitty drivers and botched software installations can render it unbootable sometimes.

Since 1993, but I wouldn't say it really came of age until 4.0 in 1996 brought it up to snuff with the consumer systems in overall experience (barring driver management, the device manager is so much more convenient than the shit you have to put up with on NT-branded systems)

>I can't disable basic services on windows 10 though
implying you can disable it completely

True. It's also useable as a desktop OS if you really want to do things, I even wonder if it BSODs as a blue screen, or perhaps a gray screen.

IIRC This is what Patachu (whatever happened to them) used for about a decade or something.

Cons: it's "obsolete"

Install it on an old Pentium machine with ethernet card, then we'll talk.

read
I confirm, since the last anniversary upgrade, Win10's telemetry can not be disabled anymore.

No longer through services, or by blocking MS from the HOSTS file. This is a serious issue and people ignore it.

Especially on Sup Forums, I don't see a lot of threads on the subject that does lasts.

> Is this a fact or an alternative fact?
Please provide a source, faggot!
The non-expert instructions are here: extremetech.com/computing/233499-how-to-lock-down-windows-10-anniversary-update-to-protect-your-privacy

The haxxor instructions here:
adolfintel.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1607.frag

Post a wireshark shreenshot or cite a paper or I will personally® ape your fag ass!

It Just Works®™